HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Uh... is this true?

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2004, 03:49 AM
Masao

vCash: 500
Uh... is this true?

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...t_in_montreal/

Quote:
Adding even more zeal to an overzealous home crowd, Habs goaltender Jose Theodore was credited with the second assist on both Kovalev strikes. It was reminiscent of Quebec City's NHL days when a Stastny -- be it Peter, Anton, or Marian -- by writ of Provincial law had to be credited with an assist on every Nordiques goal. Some nights it didn't seem to matter if they were even dressed, never mind on the ice.
So every time the Nords scored they gave an assist to one of the Stastnys even if he wasn't on the ice? WTF???

Old
04-12-2004, 06:33 AM
davemess

Maybe i dont totally get how assists are dished out but shouldnt Theo not have gotten one on Kovys first goal?

The puck went Theo to Kovy to Koivu and back to Kovy..... shouldnt Koivu have gotten the only assist?

Old
04-12-2004, 07:07 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess
Maybe i dont totally get how assists are dished out but shouldnt Theo not have gotten one on Kovys first goal?

The puck went Theo to Kovy to Koivu and back to Kovy..... shouldnt Koivu have gotten the only assist?
Not in the NHL. In an international game Theo wouldn't have gotten the assist.

Old
04-12-2004, 07:11 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess

I didn't watch the whole game. However, I believe the assist in contention came went Theo cleared the puck and one Bruin (Hal Gill?) "touched" the puck. It wasn't really clear whether he clearly got the puck or whether Kovalev controlled it from the one time I saw it.

Under the circumstances, I could see why an official might be "generous" and give him an assist but it was not crystal clear that it was deserved. I'd like to see the play again to be sure.

Concerning the Stastnys... I dunno. My dad hated the Nords and didn't really mention that to me. I DO remember however that all the stats were inconsistently recorded throughout the league. It's gotten MUCH better over the years. For obvious logistical reasons and also because of necessity. The league knows PLENTY of contracts in this league have incentive clauses so they are less frivolous than they used to be.

It was not THAT much of a problem with assists as far as I remember but yeah, a few were dubious. The shots recorded however were often a joke and purely cosmetic. It's better now.

But the Stastnys specifically? never heard it was a problem, and I grew in an environment where the Nords were considered (often rightly so) a complete joke of an organization.

Old
04-12-2004, 07:54 AM
Kenadyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masao

So every time the Nords scored they gave an assist to one of the Stastnys even if he wasn't on the ice? WTF???
Sarcasm people, sarcasm.

Old
04-12-2004, 01:50 PM
Mizral

Vlad, I too remember growing up when the Nords were considered a joke of an organizaiton. And this is actually not the first time I've heard about this Stastny assist thing.

That said, I couldn't say for sure, but back then I did watch a few Nords games (they had a lot of them on TV in around 1990 because that was when Guy Lafleur was retiring, so they showed plenty of his final games, I never noticed anything like that.

Old
04-12-2004, 01:54 PM
Darz

They use to say that Gretzky got alot of 'phantom' assists from the official score keeper in Edmonton as well. I think if was pretty common practice before the league reviewed every game for scoring changes.

Old
04-12-2004, 01:57 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
They use to say that Gretzky got alot of 'phantom' assists from the official score keeper in Edmonton as well. I think if was pretty common practice before the league reviewed every game for scoring changes.
I often hear on the SportsNet Pacific broadcasts, whenever they go into Boston, they often talk about the statisticians there are being bar none the worst in the league. Apperantly they are notorious for giving them shots that aren't really shots, or dump ins that happen to hit the net, as well as giving 'phantom' assists.

Old
04-12-2004, 02:35 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
I often hear on the SportsNet Pacific broadcasts, whenever they go into Boston, they often talk about the statisticians there are being bar none the worst in the league. Apperantly they are notorious for giving them shots that aren't really shots, or dump ins that happen to hit the net, as well as giving 'phantom' assists.
After the first couple games in Boston, I would concur... "sort of" with the criticism on the Boston shot counters. "Sort of"... because technically, any puck that could conceivably cross the goal line is a shot on goal, including dump-ins and what-not. But not all rinks count those the same. Ditto on shots that *might* be going wide but the goal grabs onto anyway.

As for phantom assists... I don't think there are any purely phantom assists anymore. But some of the second assists that make it past even the (probably cursory) league post-game reviews are pretty weak. They do let assists go at times when an opposing player touches the puck, which IMO shouldn't happen. Or like you get the flukey goals where an opponent puts it into his own net (most recently thinking of Vokoun kicking it in - assists to Shanahan and Lidstrom, although that's not the best example of what I mean). Some pretty fluffy assists there. Sometimes one wishes to see NHL stats recorded as 1st and 2nd assists. Pros and cons to that, of course. But that's an old argument.

Old
04-12-2004, 02:50 PM
BoatMan

L-E-T'S G-O R-E-D W-I-N-G-S !!!

Old
04-12-2004, 04:37 PM
Aerolanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello!!!goodbye
Ahh playoff hockey, gotta love it.

Old
04-12-2004, 04:54 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
. They do let assists go at times when an opposing player touches the puck, which IMO shouldn't happen
So if you steal the puck in your own end and skate around every player on the opposing team and pass it to me while deflecting it off of the back of a defencemans skate leaving me a tap in to an open net, then I deserve an unassisted goal and you get nothing?

Or did you mean some degree of "control" of the puck by the opposing player?

Old
04-12-2004, 05:07 PM
Spiral Architect

Haven't Garth Snow and Dan Cloutier complained about Vancouver purposely not recording every shot and therefore driving down the save percentages for Nucks goaltenders?

Old
04-13-2004, 08:59 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan
So if you steal the puck in your own end and skate around every player on the opposing team and pass it to me while deflecting it off of the back of a defencemans skate leaving me a tap in to an open net, then I deserve an unassisted goal and you get nothing?

Or did you mean some degree of "control" of the puck by the opposing player?
Basically, whatever degree of control that would be equivalent to what it would take for them to blow a whistle for a delayed penalty.

Old
04-13-2004, 09:03 AM
nordique

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masao

Yeah, didn't you read the article, it was provincial law!

It's an exaggeration to make a point.

Old
04-13-2004, 09:10 AM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenadyan
Sarcasm people, sarcasm.
lol seriously.

It was just amplifying how sometimes they gave assists to plays like Kovalev's goals. More like questionable assists.

Old
04-13-2004, 09:33 AM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello!!!goodbye
I have no idea what this has to do with the thread but HELL YEAH!

Closed Thread