HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Question about Preissing

Old
11-03-2009, 11:51 PM
NWAvs

vCash: 500
Question about Preissing

How good is this guy? Is he as good/better than Quincey? And if we know hes better or equal to Quincey why was the Smyth trade looked at as so bad?

NWAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 11:55 PM
Coug555

Preissing sucks. He will never be as good as Quincey. Only reason he was in the trade is for LA to dump salary.

Coug555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 12:01 AM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
He's not better than Quincey. He's an offensive defenseman who's been very solid defensively in his career, except for last season in LA. Definitely someone who will help the power play.

The Smyth trade was seen as bad because many Avalanche fans hadn't seen Quincey play last year, and the vibe out of LA is that Preissing is washed up.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 12:05 AM
detrude
(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvs View Post
How good is this guy? Is he as good/better than Quincey? And if we know hes better or equal to Quincey why was the Smyth trade looked at as so bad?
Because it didn't include Jack Johnson or a 1st round pick, and Quincey was an unknown to many.

Preissing is probably a little better than Quincey in the offensive end, but Quincey is better overall. Preissing got a bad wrap last year in LA, but he played really well the three years prior.

detrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 12:55 AM
avsrule

I'm really excited to see Preissing in action. I think he'll help our PP and should be an upgrade over Cumiskey.

avsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 12:59 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
It's going to be nice having a right handed shot for the point. Once we get Liles back this team is going to be really set for puck moving defensemen.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 01:03 AM
Sgarbossy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClericMercenaryAgent View Post
It's going to be nice having a right handed shot for the point. Once we get Liles back this team is going to be really set for puck moving defensemen.
Are you under the impression that Liles wasn't playing for us against Vancouver, or is it more of the proverbial 'liles getting back' to his former glory?

Sgarbossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 01:09 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene Fan View Post
Are you under the impression that Liles wasn't playing for us against Vancouver, or is it more of the proverbial 'liles getting back' to his former glory?
He usually takes a while before he gets back into his groove, I don't consider him back until he's in his groove. He's a very different player when he first comes back.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 01:10 AM
Sgarbossy

Quote:
He usually takes a while before he gets back into his groove, I don't consider him back until he's in his groove. He's a very different player when he first comes back.
I completely agree

Sgarbossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 05:25 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
We should probably expect the same out of Preissing. I doubt he'll come back 100% healthy and in game shape. Most likely, it will take him time to get back into his "groove".

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 07:21 AM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 3375
I know that Most Sens fans liked him a lot when he was playing with Ottawa . I also know that someone from LA told me that Preissing was Clark 2.0. So who knows what we will get from him

Frenchy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 07:26 AM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 1100
Yeah, he's a question mark. I've wanted him with the Avs since he came into the league, mostly for the CC connection. But he's had his ups and downs. No telling what he'll bring this season. I remain optimistic that he'll have a good showing, but am prepared for disappointment. Either way, I was stoked when I saw the Avs got him. I was out in the boonies when the Smyth trade happened, so I missed all the hoopla, but I liked the return. Quincey was obvious, of course. And while Preissing my have been a salary dump, he's got tremendous upside. I guess we'll wait and see.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 08:52 AM
Adama0905

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I know that Most Sens fans liked him a lot when he was playing with Ottawa . I also know that someone from LA told me that Preissing was Clark 2.0. So who knows what we will get from him
Yeah, we already know that the LA people really didn't like him. But everyone in Ottawa had nothing but good things to say about him.

And I've heard he's also a great locker room personality as well. Should be good for the boys.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Grackle Party
Varls Barkley 2k12

Doesn't Pressing have a right handed shot?

I think he will be pretty good if he gets 3rd pairing/PP time.

Grackle Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 11:05 AM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
I said this about a billion times in the first Liles injury thread and got laughed at!

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 12:08 PM
Drury_Sakic

Preissing was horrible in LA, the big contract clearly took some edge off his game and he was outplayed by guys like Quincey and the other young players.

That said, he is in the same boat as almost every other player on this roster in that he has a ton to prove and hopefully that chip on his shoulder and the change of location will do him good. He was a key part of the Sens roster for a few seasons and could be a huge upgrade over clark if he returns to form.... but don't count on it.

Drury_Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury_Sakic View Post
Preissing was horrible in LA, the big contract clearly took some edge off his game and he was outplayed by guys like Quincey and the other young players.

That said, he is in the same boat as almost every other player on this roster in that he has a ton to prove and hopefully that chip on his shoulder and the change of location will do him good. He was a key part of the Sens roster for a few seasons and could be a huge upgrade over clark if he returns to form.... but don't count on it.
He can't make any more bone headed turnovers in his own zone than Cumiskey can he?

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
If what happened in LA was an indication, Preissing will be brutal in his own end.

If what happened in Ottawa was an indication, Preissing will be at least servicable in his own end.

I'll split the difference and say he's marginal in his own end.

He's good in the offensive zone, and I think he will utilized mainly on the PP. Really though, even if he struggles in his own end, I wouldn't be surprised to see him played on the third pairing and on the PP.

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Seaward*

Better than Foote, Clark, Cumiskey and Salei.

Foote Cumiskey
Hannan Liles
Quincey Preissing

Seaward* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 02:59 PM
Drury_Sakic

Hannan and Quicney will not be split up, they have been one of the best D pairs the Avs have had in years. I also find it hard to believe Foote and Cumiskey will be split, leaving the question of who would fit best with Liles?

Quincey-Hannan
Cumiskey-Foote
Liles-?

be it Preissing, Salei, or Clark.

Old
11-05-2009, 03:14 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury_Sakic View Post
Hannan and Quicney will not be split up, they have been one of the best D pairs the Avs have had in years. I also find it hard to believe Foote and Cumiskey will be split, leaving the question of who would fit best with Liles?

Quincey-Hannan
Cumiskey-Foote
Liles-?

be it Preissing, Salei, or Clark.
Pretty sure Quincey and Hannan were split up for a good chunk of last night's game, were they not? I think you kinda have to put one of the big guys alongside Liles, unless you want to put Wilson back out there.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Drury_Sakic

For bits of the third, Quincey and Hannan were split, but I think that had alot to do with the amount of penalties going both ways and the roles that the two played on the PP and PK.

Old
11-05-2009, 03:51 PM
avs1dacup

vCash: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Pretty sure Quincey and Hannan were split up for a good chunk of last night's game, were they not? I think you kinda have to put one of the big guys alongside Liles, unless you want to put Wilson back out there.
This is where i really miss nhl.com having shift charts. 2 years ago, i could go check there. I don't remember them being split up too much, but I miss crap all the time.

avs1dacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 03:59 PM
PeterTheGreat

I would NOT split up Hannan and Quincey. They are playing too well right now.

Quincey-Hannan
Liles-Preissing
Clark-Foote

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote