HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

July 1st -- Connolly Extension?

Old
02-10-2010, 03:23 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
July 1st -- Connolly Extension?

And now for something completely different....

Opinions on if Regier should/would/could open up extension talks with Connolly this summer? Tim's had a rough go at times, but has played in 100 straight games now and is producing most of the time. His last 6 weeks could be a hot streak, but he's on pace for career highs in all offensive categories.

With possible trades this summer and the Sabres still being a bit less certain in their center pipeline, it's possible. Heck, it's still a little surprising that they did the current deal Tim's on.

Granted, at the moment, that summer is looking good for forward UFA's. However... we know how that closes up in a hurry. (Patrice Bergeron, David Backes, Mikko Koivu, Brad Richards, Joe Thornton, Alex Semin, and Simon Gagne among others are all slated to be UFA in 2011, just throwing them out there)

Thoughts? Opinions?

02-10-2010, 03:25 PM
Kruschiki

vCash: 50
It all depends on $$ and term. I haven't been paying attention much to what guys are slated to get this summer, but I would suspect given his age, he's not looking for a short contract, and in his mind signed his discount deal.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Sabreality

i dont see the hurry in getting something done this summer..he's under contract next year...lets see how he performs in the playoffs this season and if he can maintain his health next year..we can extend him again at the deadline if needed.

Sabreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 03:34 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreality View Post
i dont see the hurry in getting something done this summer..he's under contract next year...lets see how he performs in the playoffs this season and if he can maintain his health next year..we can extend him again at the deadline if needed.
Playing devil's advocate on that -- why would he want to sign a deadline extension next year if he's shown he can play in the playoffs and remain healthy next season? His agent would be pushing to head to the open market... and we know how Buffalo does there. (Not pro or con on this... just pointing to what would be a logical course of action for his camp.)

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Salzig
I am laudable.

I think they will resign him but they will do it during next season. If he stays healthy he could earn much money and if not... well, at least he won't be too expensive.

Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Sabreality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Playing devil's advocate on that -- why would he want to sign a deadline extension next year if he's shown he can play in the playoffs and remain healthy next season? His agent would be pushing to head to the open market... and we know how Buffalo does there. (Not pro or con on this... just pointing to what would be a logical course of action for his camp.)
good point...i could go either way on it too

i'm just very fearful of another 'bad' contract...lets say we offer him 3yrs $13.5m this offseason...would you be confident with a $4.5 hit for the next 4 yrs? eeks. i dont know. would he even get that on the open market?

Sabreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 05:53 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Tick....tick....tick...tick...

.....BOOM!
Posted via Mobile Device

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 05:59 PM
Husko

vCash: 165
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!

He's going to demand even more money. He's still inconsistent and is still injury prone as far as I'm concerned. We cannot continue to go at it with Roy and Connolly as our top to centers. Something has to give, and Roy is both more affordable and more consistent over his career.

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 06:00 PM
Husko

Quote:
I'd absolutely be looking to reup before he gets injured again of relapses into usual form.

Old
02-10-2010, 06:03 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
And now for something completely different....

Opinions on if Regier should/would/could open up extension talks with Connolly this summer? Tim's had a rough go at times, but has played in 100 straight games now and is producing most of the time. His last 6 weeks could be a hot streak, but he's on pace for career highs in all offensive categories.

With possible trades this summer and the Sabres still being a bit less certain in their center pipeline, it's possible. Heck, it's still a little surprising that they did the current deal Tim's on.

Granted, at the moment, that summer is looking good for forward UFA's. However... we know how that closes up in a hurry. (Patrice Bergeron, David Backes, Mikko Koivu, Brad Richards, Joe Thornton, Alex Semin, and Simon Gagne among others are all slated to be UFA in 2011, just throwing them out there)

Thoughts? Opinions?
Preliminary talks, sure. But I don't think they should sign him until at least mid-season--make sure that he is going to be worth the money he will ask for. The Sabres aren't very deep at center at the NHL level or the prospect level (yeah, I know there's Ennis/Adam, but who knows if they will play center or wing when their numbers are called.) And you can never have too much center depth.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 06:12 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!

He's going to demand even more money. He's still inconsistent and is still injury prone as far as I'm concerned. We cannot continue to go at it with Roy and Connolly as our top to centers. Something has to give, and Roy is both more affordable and more consistent over his career.
How so?

With the very notable exception of his 20 game slump this season, Connolly has easily been more consistent--it's his health that held him back.I'd be willing to bet that the number of times he's been held pointless in consecutive games is much lower than Roy post-lockout.

Old
02-10-2010, 06:21 PM
TehDoak
I Like Eich

vCash: 903
Buffalo has two good center prospects in the system in Adam and Ennis. If one of those is ready to take over a top 2 center spot, there is no way I am looking to extend Tim. I am using his salary to a semi rental (a player with 1 year left on his contract) that summer on the cheap to keep room for Myers once his ELC is up. Best case scenario, IMHO, this summer:

#1. Move Roy and a pick/prospects at the draft for legit top line scoring threat to play with Vanek. Size and skill please.
#2. Let Ennis/Adam duke it out for Roy's spot at training camp. Based on what I've seen so far, Ennis could probably take over for Roy right now.
#3. Let Connolly walk (if he isn't wheelchair bound by then, that is) and aquire a semi rental type player who is high salary and in a contract year for 2011-2012.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 06:25 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSlug View Post
How so?

With the very notable exception of his 20 game slump this season, Connolly has easily been more consistent--it's his health that held him back.I'd be willing to bet that the number of times he's been held pointless in consecutive games is much lower than Roy post-lockout.
Health is part of consistency.... If you're asking who I'd rather have between the two, it's Roy. You're taking Connolly?

Old
02-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Jame
Dream '16

yes please

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 06:30 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Health is part of consistency.... If you're asking who I'd rather have between the two, it's Roy. You're taking Connolly?
If he stays healthy this season, and next season...sure. I wouldn't sign him in the summer, but if he goes to next trade deadline showing an ability to stay healthy...I'd definitely consider it. When he plays, he's been more productive than Roy.

Old
02-10-2010, 06:33 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
If he stays healthy this season, and next season...sure. I wouldn't sign him in the summer, but if he goes to next trade deadline showing an ability to stay healthy...I'd definitely consider it. When he plays, he's been more productive than Roy.
He's more productive offensively, but all around? I think Roy's giveaways somehow inadvertently change people's opinions about his actual defensive zone positioning. He's the better all around player IMO. If you told me we could get rid of both and get two new top-2 centers, I'd probably be okay with it.

Even if we go to the playoffs this year, and even if we were to get passed the first round, it probably will be because of Miller/defense before it's because of Roy/Connolly/the offense as a whole.

Old
02-10-2010, 06:42 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
He's more productive offensively, but all around? I think Roy's giveaways somehow inadvertently change people's opinions about his actual defensive zone positioning. He's the better all around player IMO. If you told me we could get rid of both and get two new top-2 centers, I'd probably be okay with it.

Even if we go to the playoffs this year, and even if we were to get passed the first round, it probably will be because of Miller/defense before it's because of Roy/Connolly/the offense as a whole.
looney tunes... Connolly is better then Roy in the defensive zone. Connolly is better then Roy in ALL zones... Connolly is the better overall player, when health is not an issue...

Last edited by Chainshot: 02-10-2010 at 06:48 PM. Reason: You've read the site rules, right? Those sort of comments are not kosher.
Old
02-10-2010, 06:44 PM
Husko

Quote:
How so?

Times held pointless in last 3 seasons:

Connolly: 64 over 154 games. Ever 2.4 games.
Roy: 82 over 215 games. Every 2.6 games.

What were we betting?

Old
02-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

What were we betting?
using connolly's injury riddled seasons and Roy's overachieving seasons make it atleast close... why dont you just use this season?

Old
02-10-2010, 07:00 PM
Dabs21Nike

I don't like to get into this arguement because I like both players, but at this point I like Connolly more than Roy going forward in this system. For some reason Roy's play seems to have dropped off this season and he hasn't really been able to find any consistant chemistry with any linemates. Connolly has really picked up his play now that he's finally healthy. IMO he's the number 1 center we've all been looking for.

I'd offer Connolly something around 3 years $14 million (5, 4.5, 4.5). It's real close to what he's making now and with his play this year he might not even take that offer, but who knows. I don't think I'd want to go a lot higher than that though.

Dabs21Nike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 07:15 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Over a longer sample size, Roy has been the better point producer. But given his contract appeal, he's going to have all sorts of value this summer....

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 07:22 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Over a longer sample size, Roy has been the better point producer. But given his contract appeal, he's going to have all sorts of value this summer....
since the lockout
Connolly .90 pt per game
Roy .83 pt per game

again, barring injury history (which cant be completely ingnored, but 100 straight games can begin to change opinion).. Connolly is the better all around player, offensive and defensively.

Old
02-10-2010, 07:32 PM
Kruschiki

My take on Connolly's injury problems prior to this last healthy spell was that they were a series of unfortunate events. Much were unrelated. When people would describe him as 'plagued by concussions' I always felt that was not an accurate picture of the challenges he's faced.

I think he's shown that his injury problems are behind him.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 07:34 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:

What were we betting?
Consecutive times (not total) being held pointless--to me that's a better indication of who is consistent vs. who is just really streaky.

And sure, Roy may be decent in his own end, but I wouldn't say he is substantially better than Connolly.

If Timmy can stay healthy, he is the better option for this team. Having said that, given his history he needs to prove he can by staying healthy this season and well into next before we should re-sign him. However, being healthy over the offseason and given his quotes about wanting to get stronger...that probably goes a long way to being in better shape this season. And a little bit of luck sure doesn't hurt either.

Old
02-10-2010, 07:41 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
looney tunes... Connolly is better then Roy in the defensive zone. Connolly is better then Roy in ALL zones... Connolly is the better overall player, when health is not an issue...
Connolly is marginally better than Roy in the offensive zone. Roy is a more dangerous goalscorer than Connolly, whereas TC is a better setup man.

Connolly is not better than Roy in the defensive zone. Don't equate Connolly's lack of footspeed/movement with being properly positioned.