HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Byers suspended 1 game,Torts fined $10,000, O'Brien suspended 1 game

Old
11-04-2009, 03:37 PM
hlundqvist30*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Are you sure it wasn't bum and not plug?

I heard bum.
Definitely was "bum."

I love Avery

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 04:05 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
They'll probably find a way to suspend Avery over this
Yep. As that was happening I was fully expecting Avery to get a penalty. Can you imagine if he was the one who did that? You'd never hear the end of it.

Anyway I like that Byers is a scrappy little *******. He brings energy and grit and seems like a perfect addition to the fourth liner. I'll take him over guys like Voros and Brashear.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 04:09 PM
King of cool
The winning hat

Loved how Torts smashed Avery in the arm to make him ****, was hilarious. Hope the other SOB will be suspended.

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 05:25 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

Quote:
Originally Posted by #97 View Post
Loved how Torts smashed Avery in the arm to make him ****, was hilarious. Hope the other SOB will be suspended.
He didn't smash him in the arm, he gave him a little slap like your mom or dad would and said "quiet". Presumably because he didn't want Avery screwing anything up since we seemed to be getting the PP out of the whole ordeal.

I'm a bit surprised that SOB isn't suspended as well, while that kind of stuff makes hockey exciting, if Avery did it -- he'd be crucified. Probably multi-game suspension, and fines up the wazoo.

Already every Canadian fan especially 'nucks are blaming Avery somehow for that even though he did nothing wrong. Last time I checked you're allowed to pay lip service across the bench...not hit an opposing player with your stick.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 05:39 PM
DevNets

Totally premeditated by Torts.

Here's another clip of him in Tampa sending in Pratt to fight Langenbrunner, who couldn't punch a fly in a fight. Watch the end of the video too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBcasayiqlk

DevNets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 06:13 PM
TheyareGonnaGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevNets View Post

Here's another clip of him in Tampa sending in Pratt to fight Langenbrunner, who couldn't punch a fly in a fight. Watch the end of the video too.

"There's nothing wrong with this. This is hockey." - - I have to agree.

TheyareGonnaGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 06:25 PM
John Torturella

Would not be shocked if Avery ends up suspended somehow.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 06:33 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:

This is from the infamous game where Torts said "we know what we did" in the post-game press conference.

Nothing wrong with stirring up some trouble at the end of a game when your team is down. Shows some emotion, I like it.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 06:33 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

Quote:

Ah and Chico Resch in his usual homer self, what a surprise...

Was this the game where Torts had the heated press conference with the "We know what we did" stuff and the Brooksie exchange? Or was that another game in this series?

Oh and Good for Torts doing stuff like that -- we need to send a message to the league that we're not going to tolerate our star players being targeted. Between hank getting run all season so far and now people going after Gabby after his injury, I'm glad we decided to do something about it.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 06:35 PM
ninjaturtle13

avery

avery called him a slug not a plug he says that 2 everyone

ninjaturtle13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 06:35 PM
squishy

Quote:
Avery said he was jabbed with Shane O’Brien’s stick “two or three times” from the bench during the third-period “melee” and smiled when he was told that O’Brien would face a disciplinary hearing. “I’m surprised they haven’t called me,” said Avery, “for being in the area.”
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...notes-1.811976

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 06:42 PM
sickboy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRanger View Post
Meh, expected. All the same, Byers over Voros and Brashear please, love the kid's style.
Byers and Orr would've been nice, we sit Brashear with a 2 million dollar contract should've kept Orr.

sickboy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 06:47 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Hahahah. Sean knows.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 07:00 PM
OverTheCap

Torts doesn't seem pleased with Avery, not sure if it has to do with his yapping during the SOB debacle, but he's been moved to the 4th line according to Zipay.

It probably has more to do with Avery's blown coverage on last night's 2nd goal, but interesting nonetheless.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 07:18 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Torts doesn't seem pleased with Avery, not sure if it has to do with his yapping during the SOB debacle, but he's been moved to the 4th line according to Zipay.

It probably has more to do with Avery's blown coverage on last night's 2nd goal, but interesting nonetheless.
I wouldn't read too much into it. Those wingers have been shuffled nonstop all season. You could be right though.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Jxmarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Byers is like the player that Voros is supposed to be. He can play both sides of the puck well, BUT he's tough and he gets rilled up and he's willing to drop the gloves and actually not embarrass himself. He may not have won this fight hands down but he definitely got the better shots in, the other guy was just able to get him on the ground. We need a guy like this on the team.
I'm hopeful too that Byers does turn out to be the "player" Voros is supposed to be. But I've seen most of his fights at Hartford, and he actually IS a bit of an embarrassment when he fights. Whereas Voros usually hangs on for a while before he's eventually wrestled down, Byers almost always gets decked & goes down like a ton of bricks. It was no surprise to me it happened last night, and we better get used to it.

That doesn't mean he can't be a useful, agitating player... just don't expect him to fight any better than Voros.

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 07:57 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
avery likes taking it to the canadian teams. looking forward to his meeting with phaneuf in calgary.

dane's a killer and should stay with the big club
Saw that Avery only had 9:30 ice-time. Was he injured? Is that his usual ice-time? Is he in Tortorella's dog-house?

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 09:07 PM
Thingamajig

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ca...230/story.html

Thingamajig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 09:32 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
avery likes taking it to the canadian teams. looking forward to his meeting with phaneuf in calgary.

dane's a killer and should stay with the big club
I can't believe i forgot all about that. It will definitley be interesting to see what happens. Avery vs Phaneuf....should be a good scrap.

I thought Byers should have made the club last season. He and avery on the same line sounds good. Kind of like an Avery and Ott reunion but not quite.

I'm not sure about Boyle in the middle though. I was actually thinking of Boyle playing on Prospal's wing. Reason being is he's a beast who can skate. And Boyle's skill level is not that of a Voros, Orr, or Brashear. It's much better.

I think Boyle could help free up more ice for Prospal and Gaborik. The very reason why I wanted Antropov back and didn't want to see him go. I liked his presence around the net.

Alright I'm off topic a bit. But someone did mention a possible line of Boyle, Avery, and Byers. IMO, i would just substitute Higgins for Boyle and that could be a productive line on the fore check (that's if the zebras let them play a little).

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 10:41 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
Saw that Avery only had 9:30 ice-time. Was he injured? Is that his usual ice-time? Is he in Tortorella's dog-house?
Dog house? No. Tortorella needs to be the biggest A-hole on the team and feels that Avery might upstage him. I mean that with respect to Avery.

abev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 11:04 PM
eco's bones

Got to think that if it were anyone else besides Avery O'Brien was poking with his stick he would have gotten more. I'm wondering what precedents if any Campbell used to give him one game?

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 11:17 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
Dog house? No. Tortorella needs to be the biggest A-hole on the team and feels that Avery might upstage him. I mean that with respect to Avery.
oh jeez You forgot to put a sarcasm face next to this. Gaborik is leading the team in scoring. So his ice time should really be getting cut so all the attention is on the coach.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 04:08 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I think what was most evident in this fight is that despite the sandpaper Byers plays with, he sucks almost if not just as bad as Voros at fighting. He's like a Ryan Hollweg minus the boarding penalties.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 04:15 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Hopefully SOB is suspended, because he really should be. No place in the game for ******** like what he pulled.
I disagree... I like it. Show some toughness, and personality out there. If Obrien were swinging his stick trying to knock Avery's head on the floor, then i would completely agree but I didn't see that. If it was Avery walking to the end of the bench mouthing off, and he gave the guy a poke, then we'd be laughing it and you'd see it in 30 different Ranger compilation video's...

I completely agree with you on Byers though - night and day from pre-season. He was a major let down to me, because I thought he had a legit shot to make this team. I'm glad he's showing some real fight out there. I think he deserves to keep playing at this point...

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Jxmarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I think what was most evident in this fight is that despite the sandpaper Byers plays with, he sucks almost if not just as bad as Voros at fighting. He's like a Ryan Hollweg minus the boarding penalties.
I agree except I rate Hollweg a little higher as a fighter. Because he's really only 5'9" or so, I always gave him extra credit for hanging in there against bigger players. I remember he nearly fought Ben Eager to a draw once, for example. It's hard to feel good on the other hand watching Byers or Voros at 6'3" fall down every time they drop the gloves. Voros usually holds on for dear life and is eventually wrestled down. Byers just goes down like a ton of bricks.

That's not necessarily to say that Byers game won't be better than the other two. But get used to cringing every time he fights.

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote