HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

And now for something completely different Canes @ Florida

Old
11-04-2009, 10:16 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomMF View Post
Ah, gotcha. My bad.
No worries. For the record, I loved the Larose signing and hated the Cole signing. Every other signing I was encouraged by.

I really think the Cole signing was just JR flexing his muscles for the Joni Pitkanen trade and claiming total victory. Plus, he gave up Justin Williams for him.... which even at the time was a HIGHLY controversial move.

But in hindsight, it's almost certain that this team would be better served by having resigned Seidenberg and using the Larose and Cole money combined to bring in a legit scorer.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 10:16 PM
Caniac4ever

vCash: 1436
I know it's only November, but realistically what are the chances that a team, let alone our team, can go from 30th in the league to a team that makes the playoffs and isn't swept in the first round?

In other words, when is it pointless to keep trying to push forward?

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 10:22 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniac4ever View Post
I know it's only November, but realistically what are the chances that a team, let alone our team, can go from 30th in the league to a team that makes the playoffs and isn't swept in the first round?

In other words, when is it pointless to keep trying to push forward?
Literally have to win 2/3rds of the rest of our games. 45-23 if we want to match last years 97 points. 92 would be the bare minimum we need which is 40-23-5 or 35-18-10. Not happening.

But if it does god help the rest of the league. Because any team that goes through the majority of the season at a pace like that is probably going to **** someone up in the playoffs.

Last edited by DaveG: 11-04-2009 at 10:29 PM.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 10:25 PM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
I know how you guys feel... This blows...

bumperkisser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 10:29 PM
Caniac4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Literally have to win 2/3rds of the rest of our games. 45-23 if we want to match last years 97 points. 92 would be the bare minimum we need which is 40-23-5 or 35-18-10. Not happening.

But if it does god help the rest of the league. Because no team that goes through the majority of the season at a pace like that is probably going to **** someone up in the playoffs.

That makes sense. It looks a bit more hopeful when you look at the 8th place team now and they only have 7 more points than us... As much as I'd like to have a sweet draft choice, I'm still in hopes we can be playing hockey in May.

Old
11-04-2009, 10:34 PM
knucklehead3k
Go Ontario Blizzards

did i think we were going to be a force this year, especially adding all the grit? yes.
am i surprised we stink so bad? yes.
still, i think we can turn it around and make the playoffs, but the idea of selling off some of our older "talent" and going with the kids sounds a lot more appealing right now.
which course will we take? i'm curious.

knucklehead3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 10:44 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniac4ever View Post
That makes sense. It looks a bit more hopeful when you look at the 8th place team now and they only have 7 more points than us... As much as I'd like to have a sweet draft choice, I'm still in hopes we can be playing hockey in May.
Yep, I will ALWAYS prefer a team in the playoffs to a team missing out. But as bad as it is to say if we miss I'd prefer to be horrible then call it close like we did 2 and 3 seasons ago.

Old
11-04-2009, 10:57 PM
Caniac4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Yep, I will ALWAYS prefer a team in the playoffs to a team missing out. But as bad as it is to say if we miss I'd prefer to be horrible then call it close like we did 2 and 3 seasons ago.
Ain't that the truth! IF we're gonna loose anyways, might just as well keep our little butts right here in 30th.

Old
11-05-2009, 04:10 AM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Another step.

Cam mask for this season - http://www.eyecandyair.com/goaliemasks/0910camward.htm and http://www.eyecandyair.com/backplate...finesthour.htm

Heh, Murphy mask. One of the best i've seen.

http://www.eyecandyair.com/goaliemas...mikemurphy.htm and http://www.eyecandyair.com/backplate...0910murphy.htm

Last edited by imayagainknowanson: 11-05-2009 at 05:00 AM.
imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 05:09 AM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

Murphy's design is rather random, but I've always been a fan of zombie movies.

JustJoe2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 06:50 AM
stivwhaler

Murphy's mask is the coolest I have ever seen. As a horror movie nut, to see hordes of zombies with Night Of The Living Dead and Evil Dead pics, wow, what more can you say. The Canes seem to be skating like the zombie horde lately so it's kinda fitting. I like Wards creepy pirate, too, but with the way the teams going I wouldn't be surprised to see him change it soon.

stivwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 09:29 AM
caniacgirl12

Send a message via AIM to caniacgirl12 Send a message via MSN to caniacgirl12
This game is my fault.

I was laughing & laughing at the fact that the Panthers were giving away tickets to this game on ticketmaster. Any # of tickets, anywhere in the arena.

11-05-2009, 09:31 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

I wouldn't be laughing so much. A couple years of this and we might be seeing the same thing!

11-05-2009, 10:31 AM
caniacgirl12

Send a message via AIM to caniacgirl12 Send a message via MSN to caniacgirl12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleCooper View Post
I wouldn't be laughing so much. A couple years of this and we might be seeing the same thing!
I know...I was trying to get my laughs in while I could. It backfired. Horribly.

caniacgirl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 10:39 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
A morale victory at it's finest.

I've always said i'm 100% fine with a loss so long as the effort is there and the will to win is there. But this is just tough, 14 games and we've only scored 28 goals, 7 of those goals came in one game. Aside from that 7 goal game, we've scored 21 goals in 13 games. Thats rough. At this point even morale victories are tough to handle when you know damn well we have plenty more to come since we cannot score more than 2 goals a game. Having no Staal (as limited as his production was) just makes things worse offensively.

Quote:
"We played a very, very good game," Canes coach Paul Maurice said. "We looked so much like our old selves through a big part of that game. We didn't win, so we don't get the good feeling we'd like and we deserved.

"We did so many good things in that game. Even in the second period we were in the penalty box for eight minutes, I thought the shifts right after our penalty kills we came back with good opportunities. ... And you know the one that's going in is going off someone's shin pad."

Last edited by Guerzy: 11-05-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 10:49 AM
DoomMF

I'm okay with saying we played a "very good game," but "very, very good."

Nope.

I save the double very for wins.

DoomMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 10:59 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
A morale victory at it's finest.

I've always said i'm 100% fine with a loss so long as the effort is there and the will to win is there. But this is just tough, 14 games and we've only scored 28 goals, 7 of those goals came in one game. Aside from that 7 goal game, we've scored 21 goals in 13 games. Thats rough. At this point even morale victories are tough to handle when you know damn well we have plenty more to come since we cannot score more than 2 goals a game. Having no Staal (as limited as his production was) just makes things worse offensively.
Yay, we outplayed one of the ********* teams in the league and lost... WOW... Thank god Mo is happy

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 11:02 AM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

I love the evil dead movies that mask is sick...and lol at Maurice

WhiteTrashAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 11:15 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
When you've lost 10 straight, still being in the game at the start of the 3rd period probably does feel like USA vs. The Soviets.

I'm just wondering how long we have to give it before we start flipping the GDT standings towards having the "losers" start the threads.

I swear, the Toronto matchup is intriguing because the knowledge that somebody has to win is a very interesting concept for two teams that have combined for 14 points in about 30 games played.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 11:21 AM
DoomMF

Toronto just got Kessel back, and Gus seems injury free.

Our only hope may be if Toskala starts in goal. I don't think Gus is that great, but Toskala is just awful. Leighton might give him a run for his money.

We might actually lose this one..........if Toronto can't end our losing streak though - WHO CAN???

DoomMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 11:26 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
When you've lost 10 straight, still being in the game at the start of the 3rd period probably does feel like USA vs. The Soviets.

I'm just wondering how long we have to give it before we start flipping the GDT standings towards having the "losers" start the threads.

I swear, the Toronto matchup is intriguing because the knowledge that somebody has to win is a very interesting concept for two teams that have combined for 14 points in about 30 games played.
10 more losses if they happen within the next 20 games, because at that point it's about as impossible as it comes mathematically to make the playoffs.

Old
11-05-2009, 11:31 AM
Caniac4ever

Ok, question for you brilliant people...

We all would be amazed if Peter was brought back in to coach this team and it's probably 99.9% sure he won't be. Just wondering what would happen if we wanted him back. Do we just call him since we're already paying him and let him know to be at work in the morning?

Old
11-05-2009, 11:37 AM
Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomMF View Post
Toronto just got Kessel back, and Gus seems injury free.

Our only hope may be if Toskala starts in goal. I don't think Gus is that great, but Toskala is just awful. Leighton might give him a run for his money.

We might actually lose this one..........if Toronto can't end our losing streak though - WHO CAN???
The Leafs have been playing well (41 shots on goal against Tampa the other night) but lack any sort of finishing ability. The forwards who play a lot are simply too soft to cash in on rebounds and what-not.

Kessel makes them better, but he's rusty and I would expect a drop in his play tomorrow. Just one of those things that happens when you come back from a long injury. The first game back is an adrenaline game and then the 6 or 7 after that are a real grind.

Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 11:49 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
The difference between Toronto and Carolina is in Toronto's last 5 games or so they have played pretty darn good and could have won just as easily as they lost. They've showed up and they're playing hockey. Phil Kessel looked absolutely great the other night vs. Tampa and if he shows up like that again vs. us he's going to burn us. Also, Gustavsson has been quite good and it is a no brainer we'll once again likely end up on the short end of the stick offensively. All in all, one could argue Toronto's record doesn't resemble their current play, they've been good. We on the other hand, deserve what we're getting. We'll have our hands full vs. Toronto.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 11:56 AM
Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
The difference between Toronto and Carolina is in Toronto's last 5 games or so they have played pretty darn good and could have won just as easily as they lost. They've showed up and they're playing hockey. Phil Kessel looked absolutely great the other night vs. Tampa and if he shows up like that again vs. us he's going to burn us. Also, Gustavsson has been quite good and it is a no brainer we'll once again likely end up on the short end of the stick offensively. All in all, one could argue Toronto's record doesn't resemble their current play, they've been good. We on the other hand, deserve what we're getting. We'll have our hands full vs. Toronto.
Gustavsson is the reason why the Leafs have improved. Not only is he playing well and providing big saves, the team trusts him to make those saves (unlike Toskala) and they play with more confidence. Just hasn't resulted in a lot of goals-for yet.

Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote