HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The "All Things Lecavalier" Thread - Rumors, Speculation, Proposals

Old
12-09-2009, 06:51 AM
pld459666

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Haven't we learned anything from signing Scott Gomez and Chris Drury?

Brad Richards isn't that good and he is payed like a mega star. Like sure, he is clutch, have won the Conn Smyth and what not. But he just aint that talented.
Would have to disagree that he's not that talented.

He's a legit 1st line center in the NHL and tere are really only 20 of them.

His NHL per game average is .90 points per game.

Currently would be our 2nd leading scorer 3 points behind the white hot Gaborik.

This guy sees the ice better than anyone on our team not names Gaborik. Would easily be our 2nd best and most talented forward.

It's clear that the offensive ability of both Drury and Gomez are starting to wane whereas Richards is on pace for just under 100 points.

Aside from 2 freak injuries (broke each wrist last year) is a very durable player.

I'd personally rather have Vinny as I believe he's a better leader, more physical and complete player, but to say that Richards isn't that talented is pretty much off the target.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 07:53 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I agree, and when he is a free agent, I imagine there will be a very good chance he would sign here. Tortorella and the chance to center Gaborik.
Torts may not be here when Richards becomes a group III after 10-11

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 07:56 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Vinny has an eleven year contract. He would become the most hated player in the history of the Rangers based on his contract and lack of production.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 08:05 AM
LetsGoBlueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Vinny has an eleven year contract. He would become the most hated player in the history of the Rangers based on his contract and lack of production.
That is a tad harsh, no? 24 pts in 29 games this year is hardly lack of production.

In what people around here considered a "down year" he had 67 points in 77 games last year, which would have lead our team.

The salary cap will only go up in the future (based on this past year no way the NHL allows it to go down), he may be a relatively cheap player in 4-5 years. If we can get him for the right price (ie Dubi, Sangs, Prospect/Picks), why not?

LetsGoBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 08:26 AM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBlueshirts View Post
That is a tad harsh, no? 24 pts in 29 games this year is hardly lack of production.

In what people around here considered a "down year" he had 67 points in 77 games last year, which would have lead our team.

The salary cap will only go up in the future (based on this past year no way the NHL allows it to go down), he may be a relatively cheap player in 4-5 years. If we can get him for the right price (ie Dubi, Sangs, Prospect/Picks), why not?
We have already handcuffed ourselves with horrible contracts. You cannot win in this league by having medicore-really good players on albatross of contracts. You can win with having absolutely amazing players on those contracts (Crosby, Malkin(i think he still earns under a mil though)).

What this team needs to do is build from freaking with in. Look at the damn devils, consistently building from within and consistently turning heads....

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 08:38 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Would have to disagree that he's not that talented.

He's a legit 1st line center in the NHL and tere are really only 20 of them.

His NHL per game average is .90 points per game.

Currently would be our 2nd leading scorer 3 points behind the white hot Gaborik.

This guy sees the ice better than anyone on our team not names Gaborik. Would easily be our 2nd best and most talented forward.

It's clear that the offensive ability of both Drury and Gomez are starting to wane whereas Richards is on pace for just under 100 points.

Aside from 2 freak injuries (broke each wrist last year) is a very durable player.

I'd personally rather have Vinny as I believe he's a better leader, more physical and complete player, but to say that Richards isn't that talented is pretty much off the target.
The thing with Richards is that he probably have a superb attitude, concentration level, "nose for the net", a de facto good shot and vision -- et c. But, just like Chris Drury, on a off night you wonder how on earth he can get paid what he gets paid. And, in order for players like Drury or Richards to produce well -- they basically must capatilize on others hard work. Richards isn't a player who gets the puck up ice by himself. He doesn't cover much ice.

Richards is the type who is money when others screw up.

We don't need that. Washington would need a player like that. Pittsburgh. Detroit. Chicago.

But for example, and I think this is what it comes down to -- we are playing like Washington/Pittsburgh/NJD/Philly and they put Malkin/Crosby/AO/Parise/Richards/Carter on the ice and we counter with Brad Richards -- from the get go we will have a disadvantage. Of 40 shifts, on 35 of them Richards probably would struggle. We just don't need that. We need someone who can really help to match those players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
No he wouldn't! I can almost guarantee it.

What he does well, he does so well that I wonder if there is more then a couple in this league who can match it. He is fantastic in the attacking zone with the puck. Definitely on par with a Malkin.

His problem is that he can't carry a team. He is in Tampa in the same position as Jagr was his last 2 years in NY. All teams know him really well. The first guy you talk about when you talk about Tampa is VL. You know that if you don't give him any room there is a good chance that you will dominate the entire team. So a lot of focus is put on that.

Still he is able to produce. I think he would produce more in a smaller role in NY. Gabby would still get the main attention. LeCav could focus on being solid 5 on 5 and being a key member of one of the best PP's in the league.

I've seen a lot of Tampa this season watching out Hedman. Lecavalier is expected to do sooo much. And he just isn't designed to be able to do that. He can not fill the role of a player who is both suppoesd to check one of the best in the league, while scoring a ton of pts, while also being the guy who is supposed to always carry the play. Get the puck up ice and into the attacking zone. Zetterberg can do that. Crosby. Malkin. Thornton? Sometimes, sometimes not.

So yeah, Lecavalier isn't top 5 in the game.

But with the puck in the attacking zone -- he is top 5. He is the best we could do.

With Lecavalier on board I think we could get the key strengths that we could build our game around. Gabby's constant goal-scoring-threat. And Lecavaliers strengths in the attacking zone. Lundqvists goaltending. Aspects that are simple to use. And build towards.

The game plan would be simple:
1. Do not give away anything defensively. That apply's for all teams. But if we are half thight defensively we won't give up a ton with Hank in the net.

2. Get Gabby on the ice and let him work his magic. He is always a threat.

3. Get Lecavalier the puck in the attacking zone.

Thats 3 simple keys to our game. And we have the ingridiences to support those keys. We have the Callahan's, Avery's, Dubinsky's and co.

Last edited by Ola: 12-09-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 08:51 AM
LetsGoBlueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
We have already handcuffed ourselves with horrible contracts. You cannot win in this league by having medicore-really good players on albatross of contracts. You can win with having absolutely amazing players on those contracts (Crosby, Malkin(i think he still earns under a mil though)).

What this team needs to do is build from freaking with in. Look at the damn devils, consistently building from within and consistently turning heads....
My point is, Vinny is close to a PPG player while playing on the 2nd line and the 2nd PP unit. He's still relatively young, he WON A CUP with our coach, he has had some fantastic seasons. Playing alongside Gabby and Prospal, we would actually have a first line! A real first line, imagine the possibilities!

LetsGoBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBlueshirts View Post
My point is, Vinny is close to a PPG player while playing on the 2nd line and the 2nd PP unit. He's still relatively young, he WON A CUP with our coach, he has had some fantastic seasons. Playing alongside Gabby and Prospal, we would actually have a first line! A real first line, imagine the possibilities!
Yep i imagine them right after they get shutdown by Zetterberg, Rafalski, Lidstrom, and Datsyuk.

We need an attacking force throughout, not just on the first line if we want to get anywhere in the playoffs.

A great 1st line will be great in the regular season but susceptible to being shutdown in the tighter hockey in the playoffs.

Plus for 7.8 million we don't need almost PPG players....especially ones that aren't noted for defense either.

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 12:36 PM
chosen

Get Vinny when he's 36 and offer him 7 million a year for 5 years. If we change the way we do business it will send mixed messages and we can't have that. Never argue with success.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Get Vinny when he's 36 and offer him 7 million a year for 5 years. If we change the way we do business it will send mixed messages and we can't have that. Never argue with success.

Don't forget to sign up Marty St. Louis too. I love it when the team tries to re-unite former success.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 12:57 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
Don't forget to sign up Marty St. Louis too. I love it when the team tries to re-unite former success.
Excellent point. Between the two of them and our other acquisition of Hossa's contract we will be ready to destroy all that stand in front of us. I feel sorry for the rest of the NHL once the plan is completely in place.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 01:34 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Haven't we learned anything from signing Scott Gomez and Chris Drury?

Brad Richards isn't that good and he is payed like a mega star. Like sure, he is clutch, have won the Conn Smyth and what not. But he just aint that talented.
Ola, i like your posts, but this one is all wrong.

Richards is a VERY VERY VERY good player.

He's very talented.

He's a legit #1 center.

He's nothing like Gomez or Drury.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 02:21 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

"Lecavalier will be traded this season"-Pat Burns

http://www.corussports.com/hockey/no...s-1869701.html

Quote:
Pat Burns is certain, Vincent Lecavalier will no longer uniform of Tampa Bay. "I think that Vincent Lecavalier will be traded before the end of the season. I am convinced. I do not know where, but there are many teams that are interested, not just the Canadian. The Rangers will be so interested ... "

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 02:23 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Unfortunately as long as all three of Chris Drury, Michael Rozsival, and Wade Redden are Rangers, there is no way we'll be able to afford a LeCavalier or Richards

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 02:27 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Unfortunately as long as all three of Chris Drury, Michael Rozsival, and Wade Redden are Rangers, there is no way we'll be able to afford a LeCavalier or Richards
One of them would have to be going the other way, most likely Roszival.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Trading one of the big three's for Lecavalier would be sweet, but there's no way Tampa will do that.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 02:29 PM
HAPPY HOUR

He'll end up a Hab. Montreal will do whatever it takes to get him.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 02:32 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
Yep i imagine them right after they get shutdown by Zetterberg, Rafalski, Lidstrom, and Datsyuk.

We need an attacking force throughout, not just on the first line if we want to get anywhere in the playoffs.

A great 1st line will be great in the regular season but susceptible to being shutdown in the tighter hockey in the playoffs.

Plus for 7.8 million we don't need almost PPG players....especially ones that aren't noted for defense either.
I'd without a doubt separate Lecavalier and Gaborik. XXX-Prospal-Gaborik is already a legit first line. Maybe not a dominant one, but definitely a legit one. XXX-Lecavalier-XXX would automatically be a legit 2nd line. The Rangers could plug in any number of players on the wings there (Drury, Callahan, Avery, Lisin) and that line would score. It would also force opposing defenses to shift at least some focus off of Gaborik, which in turn should help that line produce a bit more.

I'm a huge Vinny fan and would love to see him here.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFFeN View Post
Trading one of the big three's for Lecavalier would be sweet, but there's no way Tampa will do that.
Depends on how much we sweeten the pot. Roszival's contract could be very intriguing to a team looking to slash payroll like Tampa. His cap hit is 5 million, but the contract was front loaded and I think hes only paid about 7-8 million over the final 2 years.

You add a legit NHL'er like Dubinsky, and a good prospect like a Stepan, Saguinetti, or McDonagh and you might have a package for Vinny.

I like LeCavalier as a player, but his contract is about as bad as they come.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Ola, i like your posts, but this one is all wrong.

Richards is a VERY VERY VERY good player.

He's very talented.

He's a legit #1 center.

He's nothing like Gomez or Drury.
I agree with everything. Ola, you ARE a great poster, but Richards is >>>>>> Gomez. And no point in even comparing him to Drury, IMO. They're nothing alike. Drury (and I'm a fan of his) should not be in the conversation of top offensive minded centers. He's a great defensive center with speed and a solid shot. He doesn't have hands or moves.

And I would rather take on Richards than be locked into Lecavalier for as long as he's under contract. Don't get me wrong, if we can get Vinny for a reasonable price, I wouldn't be opposed to it, but I'd rather just get rid of Rozsival any way and take on Richards for a less risky contract.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 02:35 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
An anchor whose weight is pulling this franchise down by the ankles.

Rangers need to pull a Gomez like dump (each for a lesser return) each yr for the next 3 yrs.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 02:43 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Depends on how much we sweeten the pot. Roszival's contract could be very intriguing to a team looking to slash payroll like Tampa. His cap hit is 5 million, but the contract was front loaded and I think hes only paid about 7-8 million over the final 2 years.

You add a legit NHL'er like Dubinsky, and a good prospect like a Stepan, Saguinetti, or McDonagh and you might have a package for Vinny.

I like LeCavalier as a player, but his contract is about as bad as they come.
add Boyle

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFFeN View Post
They're going to have to take a big contract back regardless of who they trade with. There's only a few teams in the league that can afford to pay Lecavaliers actual salary and we happen to be one of them.

Drury is the ideal player to send the other way. Moving Rozsival, as great as it would be in my eyes, is going to create a hole in the lineup that will be difficult to fill. Unless of course we get a d-man back in the trade.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
They're going to have to take a big contract back regardless of who they trade with. There's only a few teams in the league that can afford to pay Lecavaliers actual salary and we happen to be one of them.

Drury is the ideal player to send the other way. Moving Rozsival, as great as it would be in my eyes, is going to create a hole in the lineup that will be difficult to fill. Unless of course we get a d-man back in the trade.
Drury and Rozsival for Lecavalier and Ranger?

Matt4776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 02:49 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

oh man please make it happen....

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote