HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Backup G winning the cup or go deep in the playoff!?

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2004, 11:19 AM
PhillyNucksFan

vCash: 500
Backup G winning the cup or go deep in the playoff!?

Has any team won any cup or been to the cup final with a clear "backup" goalie after the #1 man is down?

For example, last year, Abby was strictly a backup to Roy, but Fernandez is not a backup to Roloson, since they were both used during last year's playoff at any given situation.

Old
04-12-2004, 11:35 AM
Owen Wilson

Send a message via AIM to Owen Wilson Send a message via MSN to Owen Wilson
Roy in '86

Old
04-12-2004, 12:39 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Aebischer is not a backup this year, so he doesn't count.

Old
04-12-2004, 12:42 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Ranford in the '90...

Old
04-12-2004, 12:58 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

what was the situation that led to Dryden winning the cup then getting the calder the next year?

Old
04-12-2004, 12:59 PM
looooob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wilson
Roy in '86
I would not call Roy the backup in 1986...he played 47 games that year or thereabouts. Roy (and his counterpart in the Flames net that year Mike Vernon) basically stole the starting jobs for their teams as the year went on, but were the starters by playoff time, IIRC

Old
04-12-2004, 01:00 PM
incawg

There's not many backups that have previously lead a team to the conference finals, so I don't think it's a big deal for the moose.

Old
04-12-2004, 01:14 PM
PhillyNucksFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Aebischer is not a backup this year, so he doesn't count.
I was not wondering about this year per se. It was just an example to illustrate the difference between the definition of a real "backup" and 2 arguable #1 goalies.

and yes, thanks, loooobs, that is exactly what I meant.

Roy played too many games that year to be considered a backup. I would generally consider a backup playing between 20-30 games at the most.

Ranford!? He was a backup in 90?!?! (my hockey history/understanding only goes as far as 94.. )

Old
04-12-2004, 01:46 PM
Owen Wilson

Send a message via AIM to Owen Wilson Send a message via MSN to Owen Wilson
Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob
I would not call Roy the backup in 1986...he played 47 games that year or thereabouts. Roy (and his counterpart in the Flames net that year Mike Vernon) basically stole the starting jobs for their teams as the year went on, but were the starters by playoff time, IIRC
damn, my bad, I was under the impression that Hayward was the starter till he got hurt.

Old
04-12-2004, 01:47 PM
ExplosiveLEAFman

Ranford was a backup who started 56 games the last time the Oilers won a cup.

Old
04-12-2004, 02:18 PM
BoatMan

Detroit in 2004.

After Hasek and even Cujo went down, Manny Legace came in and they rolled over the opposition, winning the Cup with a 16-1 record.

Old
04-12-2004, 02:21 PM
kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello!!!goodbye
Detroit in 2004.

After Hasek and even Cujo went down, Manny Legace came in and they rolled over the opposition, winning the Cup with a 16-1 record.
.. AND Legace ends up leading the NHL in Playoff scoring with a record setting 50 goals and 80 assists..

.. I figure it's as likely a scenario.

Old
04-12-2004, 02:32 PM
roast

I see from your username you are a Canucks thread and I assume this deals directly with Hedberg? When he came to Pittsburgh he was thrown in net right away. Aubin and Snow were both hurt I believe and the Pens maybe had Rich Parent and Robbie Tallas (maybe even rick tabaracci) in the minors? I think he went like 7-1-1(In the regular season). Did pretty well, and of course out did Kolzig and Hasek in the East, finally falling to Brodeur 4-1 in the playoffs. Hedberg is a great goalie and it seems he is at his best in high-stakes games. He short stint as the Pens starter should be taken lightly, becuase he really had no defense in front of him, just like Fleury, Aubin, Caron, and Chiodo today. He could lead the Canucks if Cloutier is down.

Old
04-12-2004, 02:35 PM
BoatMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle
.. AND Legace ends up leading the NHL in Playoff scoring with a record setting 50 goals and 80 assists..

.. I figure it's as likely a scenario.
I figure you've never seen Legace play this season?

Keep in mind that Cujo is our trump card for this thread - he's a backup too, you know.

Old
04-12-2004, 02:50 PM
kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello!!!goodbye
I figure you've never seen Legace play this season?
I've seen nearly all of Legace's games over the past 3 seasons: I'm originally from Windsor. He's probably one of the best backups in the league.

That doesn't mean Detroit can go 16-1 for the Cup. This is the team that was unstopable in the playoffs last year.

In order for them to go 16-1, they need to win another game in Nashville.

Old
04-12-2004, 02:59 PM
JDB3939

Send a message via AIM to JDB3939
Quote:
Originally Posted by roast
I see from your username you are a Canucks thread and I assume this deals directly with Hedberg? When he came to Pittsburgh he was thrown in net right away. Aubin and Snow were both hurt I believe and the Pens maybe had Rich Parent and Robbie Tallas (maybe even rick tabaracci) in the minors? I think he went like 7-1-1(In the regular season). Did pretty well, and of course out did Kolzig and Hasek in the East, finally falling to Brodeur 4-1 in the playoffs. Hedberg is a great goalie and it seems he is at his best in high-stakes games. He short stint as the Pens starter should be taken lightly, becuase he really had no defense in front of him, just like Fleury, Aubin, Caron, and Chiodo today. He could lead the Canucks if Cloutier is down.
No. Aubin and Snow were both healthy or had minor injuries at worst. But the organization felt they couldn't handle the playoffs. They traded for Hedberg and he came in and put on a show. I still remember his first game, he was just awesome. He was a lot faster than Aubin or Snow. Johan came to town and put up a 7-1-1 record near the end of the regular season with Aubin and Snow both getting starts in there. Hedberg was the starter come opening the playoffs against Washington and never looked back.

Old
04-12-2004, 03:06 PM
roast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDB3939
No. Aubin and Snow were both healthy or had minor injuries at worst. But the organization felt they couldn't handle the playoffs. They traded for Hedberg and he came in and put on a show. I still remember his first game, he was just awesome. He was a lot faster than Aubin or Snow. Johan came to town and put up a 7-1-1 record near the end of the regular season with Aubin and Snow both getting starts in there. Hedberg was the starter come opening the playoffs against Washington and never looked back.
sorry, i was under the impression that at least Snow was out with a mild injury. I do remeber Aubin playing a bit, but not much past that. Thanks for the corrections.

Old
04-12-2004, 03:08 PM
Tricolore#20

Quote:
Originally Posted by explosivethinman
Ranford was a backup who started 56 games the last time the Oilers won a cup.
Well this one is tough to call, because in 1990 Grant Fuhr was suspended for his drug use. So, Ranford who technically was the backup, took over, and played that many games.

If I recall correctly, when Fuhr returned at the end of 1991, he essentially took over the number one job. Fuhr played the bulk of that playoff (Remember the Fleury goal against him after Mess gave up the puck?). Fuhr then got traded to make way for Ranford.

I always thought it was interesting that at the end of 1991, Fuhr was the starter for the Oilers, yet Ranford was the starter for Canada (1991 Canada Cup).

Old
04-12-2004, 03:09 PM
PhillyNucksFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by roast
yes and no. I was just wondering about if there is anyone in history with backup Gs leading a team to the cup. (with the backup playing fewer than 30 games!!) Just an interesting question that came out of my mind..

My knowledge is not deep enough to know the answer as I am not too sure if they are backups with starter numbers or starters with backup numbers, you know.

And yes, it is, after all, related to Hedberg, but I am not going to discuss him here as there are other related threads in canucks board.

Old
04-12-2004, 03:10 PM
PhillyNucksFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20
Well this one is tough to call, because in 1990 Grant Fuhr was suspended for his drug use. So, Ranford who technically was the backup, took over, and played that many games.

If I recall correctly, when Fuhr returned at the end of 1991, he essentially took over the number one job. Fuhr played the bulk of that playoff (Remember the Fleury goal against him after Mess gave up the puck?). Fuhr then got traded to make way for Ranford.

I always thought it was interesting that at the end of 1991, Fuhr was the starter for the Oilers, yet Ranford was the starter for Canada (1991 Canada Cup).

Interesting.

Old
04-12-2004, 03:14 PM
kyle

Dryden sort of comes to mind. He wasn't the backup; he was playing college (at Cornell) I think and if history class memories serve me right, he hadn't played an NHL game (or fewer than like 10) before the 1971 playoffs. He helped them shut down the favoured Bruins and was the Conn Smythe winner.

The next season was his first and he won the Calder as the Rookie for year.

Now, he wasn't a backup leading a team, but he sure as hell wasn't a starter.

Old
04-12-2004, 06:21 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle
Dryden sort of comes to mind. He wasn't the backup; he was playing college (at Cornell) I think and if history class memories serve me right, he hadn't played an NHL game (or fewer than like 10) before the 1971 playoffs. He helped them shut down the favoured Bruins and was the Conn Smythe winner.

The next season was his first and he won the Calder as the Rookie for year.

Now, he wasn't a backup leading a team, but he sure as hell wasn't a starter.
Montreal was having problems with goaltending that year and were going into in a rebulding phase (Beliveau retired and Lafleur was drafted). Dryden had graduated from college hockey at Cornell the year before and was playing minor pro for the Habs farm team when he was called up at the end of the season. He did not really expect to play thinking he was up to absorb some NHL atmosphere as Montreal was famous for working rookies in slowly in those years.

Dryden was called up from the Voyageurs and played the last 6 regular season games posting a 1.65 GAA while winning all the games. Coach Al MacNeil played a hunch and he started the play-offs against the Bruins who were overwhelming favourites (121 points to Montreal's 97 in the regular season). He stood on his head stopping Boston who were led by Esposito and Orr in their primes. Twenty games later (disposing of the Bruins, North Stars and Hawks) and he had the Stanley Cup and a Conn Smythe and then won the Calder the next year.

He was not expected to start the play-offs but the regular season goalie tandem of Rogie Vachon and Phil Myre were nailed to the bench. He remained the Number 1 except for the 1973-74 season when he left for the entire year in a salary dispute and began his law career as an articling lawyer in Toronto.

For those who claim Dryden was only good because of the team around him, consider that in the season when he was away Bunny Laroque, Wayne Thomas and Michel Plasse could not get it done and were knocked out in the first round in six games by the Rangers after finishing third in points and losing 24 games. The Habs had won the Cup the year before his holdout finishing first overall and only losing 10 games. On his return the Habs finished first overall in 1974-75 but lost in the second round (only three rounds in those days). Dryden would win four more Cups (all in a row) from 1975 to 1979 when he retired.

In eight seasons, Dryden won 258 games to 57 losses and 74 ties. He had 46 shutouts and a 2.24 goals-against average. He appeared in 112 playoff games, winning 80, with 10 shutouts and a 2.40 average. He was the first team all-star goalie 6 times and second team once to go along with 5 Vezina's (given in those days for lowest GAA).

BTW Dryden was a draft choice of Boston and was traded (long with Alex Campbell) for two guys (Guy Allen and Paul Reid) who were drafted by Montreal but would never play a game in the NHL and Reid would not even turn pro.

Old
04-12-2004, 08:29 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster
Montreal was having problems with goaltending that year and were going into in a rebulding phase (Beliveau retired and Lafleur was drafted). Dryden had graduated from college hockey at Cornell the year before and was playing minor pro for the Habs farm team when he was called up at the end of the season. He did not really expect to play thinking he was up to absorb some NHL atmosphere as Montreal was famous for working rookies in slowly in those years.

Dryden was called up from the Voyageurs and played the last 6 regular season games posting a 1.65 GAA while winning all the games. Coach Al MacNeil played a hunch and he started the play-offs against the Bruins who were overwhelming favourites (121 points to Montreal's 97 in the regular season). He stood on his head stopping Boston who were led by Esposito and Orr in their primes. Twenty games later (disposing of the Bruins, North Stars and Hawks) and he had the Stanley Cup and a Conn Smythe and then won the Calder the next year.

He was not expected to start the play-offs but the regular season goalie tandem of Rogie Vachon and Phil Myre were nailed to the bench. He remained the Number 1 except for the 1973-74 season when he left for the entire year in a salary dispute and began his law career as an articling lawyer in Toronto.

For those who claim Dryden was only good because of the team around him, consider that in the season when he was away Bunny Laroque, Wayne Thomas and Michel Plasse could not get it done and were knocked out in the first round in six games by the Rangers after finishing third in points and losing 24 games. The Habs had won the Cup the year before his holdout finishing first overall and only losing 10 games. On his return the Habs finished first overall in 1974-75 but lost in the second round (only three rounds in those days). Dryden would win four more Cups (all in a row) from 1975 to 1979 when he retired.

In eight seasons, Dryden won 258 games to 57 losses and 74 ties. He had 46 shutouts and a 2.24 goals-against average. He appeared in 112 playoff games, winning 80, with 10 shutouts and a 2.40 average. He was the first team all-star goalie 6 times and second team once to go along with 5 Vezina's (given in those days for lowest GAA).

BTW Dryden was a draft choice of Boston and was traded (long with Alex Campbell) for two guys (Guy Allen and Paul Reid) who were drafted by Montreal but would never play a game in the NHL and Reid would not even turn pro.
Dryden played only 6 of the last games, but not the last 6. In the final game of the season Dryden sat because Montreal didn't want Boston to play against Dryden. Esposito got a hattrick, goals 74-75 and 76 of a record season. I think the Bruins won 6-3.

Then began my favourite series ever. One game Boston was up 5-1 in the Garden and after a couple of goals each by Beliveau and Richard, and a couple of others, Montreal ended up winning 7-5. The Esposito/Orr Bruins NEVER managed to beat Montreal in a playoff series.

Old
04-13-2004, 03:04 AM
pnep

pure stats

"ALL TIME NHL BACKUP GOALIE CUP WINNERS "

Goalie -- Season -- Team -- Team Position -- PO WON
---------------------------------------------------
Patrick Lester -- 1927-28 -- NYR -- 2 -- 1
Robertson Earl -- 1936-37 -- DET -- 3 -- 3
Moore Alfie -- 1937-38 -- CHI -- 3 -- 1
Broda Turk -- 1950-51 -- TOR -- 2 -- 5