HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canes Recall Boychuk

Old
11-05-2009, 12:53 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Canes Recall Boychuk

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news....id=DL|CAR|home

With Tuomo Ruutu and Ray Whitney suffering upper-body injuries during Wednesday’s game at Florida, the Hurricanes will today recall forward Zach Boychuk from Albany of the AHL to help fill the void.

According to General Manager Jim Rutherford, Boychuk, along with fellow former first-round pick Brandon Sutter, will get a chance to play among the team’s top-nine forwards starting Friday night against Toronto. Sutter is responsible for the only two goals the Hurricanes have scored over their last three games, while Boychuk has posted four goals and five assists in Albany’s first 12 contests, which is tied for second place on the team.

HELP IS ON THE WAY!

pitty that it had to take Ruutu and Whitney joining Staal on the injured list for him to get a shot.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 12:56 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
He probably won't go back down any time soon. This young man is a beast. This should help put some butts in the seats against Toronto.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 12:56 PM
Caniac4ever
Gleason 4 Norris

vCash: 2924
Yay!!! They'd better get all the ice time they can handle...

Interesting stats from last night:

Brindy: 18 minutes= 0 shots
Sutter: 10 minutes= 4 shots

I'm some psyched to have Zach coming up, but if he even sniffs 4th line minutes I will be severely ticked off.

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 12:57 PM
NobodysFaulkButMine
You jelly, Staal?

Send a message via AIM to NobodysFaulkButMine
I wouldn't be surprised to see Sutter and Boychuk get third line minutes and little to no PP time. Mo really has to go on a reward system. I'm tired of watching our bottom line/pairing guys outplay out top guys and not get rewarded.

NobodysFaulkButMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 01:01 PM
AntonFromAppState
hockeytalkuncensored

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAShoesm View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see Sutter and Boychuk get third line minutes and little to no PP time. Mo really has to go on a reward system. I'm tired of watching our bottom line/pairing guys outplay out top guys and not get rewarded.
Thank you. You should have heard me last night just begging for Sutter to come out. Sutter deserved a hell of a lot more time than what he had last night. If Sutter is guaranteed some good minutes with Boychuk? This will give me a good feeling going in.

AntonFromAppState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 01:04 PM
DoomMF

Wow, at the very least it should be fun to watch the game against Toronto. We get to see a little bit of the future.

DoomMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Chrispy

Quote:
With a healthy squad, I could see that. But if Whitney and Ruutu can't go? I don't see any way they can keep Boychuk off the PP. And given Sutter's performance, why not pair them most of the night and see what happens?

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 01:07 PM
Chrispy

Chip has follow-up on the N&O blog:

"General manager Jim Rutherford said Boychuk probably would be on Jussi Jokinen's line with Erik Cole. Sutter may be on a wing today on Rod Brind'Amour"s line with Sergei Samsonov, he said."

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 01:16 PM
NobodysFaulkButMine
You jelly, Staal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
With a healthy squad, I could see that. But if Whitney and Ruutu can't go? I don't see any way they can keep Boychuk off the PP. And given Sutter's performance, why not pair them most of the night and see what happens?
I'd put Boychuk and Sutter together, considering they played together for Canada and in the A. They should get 2nd line minutes and tons of PP time, but Mo always seems to go back to the same players when it comes to icetime.

Hopefully he takes this opportunity and gives the kids a chance to shine, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him favor towards Rod, Cole, Samsonov and other regulars on the PP with some kind of BS justification that they don't know our "PP system". If I hear him even hint at the idea that our PP has a system, I might check myself into the insane asylum.

Old
11-05-2009, 01:19 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
Chip has follow-up on the N&O blog:

"General manager Jim Rutherford said Boychuk probably would be on Jussi Jokinen's line with Erik Cole. Sutter may be on a wing today on Rod Brind'Amour"s line with Sergei Samsonov, he said."
Putting Sutter on the wing is clearly a good idea right now. He has been brutal in the circle but has been playing well enough to get more ice time.

Im not at all surprised to see that Ruutu is hurt. He looked awful in the third period.

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 01:28 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Not much of an option but to give Sutter and Boychuk PP time if Whitney and Ruutu are out. I wouldn't put it past Mo to find a way but simply put this team doesn't have enough talent with Staal, Whitney and Ruutu injured to go any other direction on the PP other then "give the kids a shot".

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 01:45 PM
karparules

I too am happy that we'll get a chance to see Boychuk up in Raleigh. However, one thing about the news today seems curious to me. I find it odd that Rutherford is dictating through the media that both Sutter and Boychuk will play top-9 minutes. That may be his opinion, but usually this is the call of the coach. There has been plenty of speculation about Paul Maurice and his job security lately, and to me this is the first clear signal that JR is unhappy with Maurice's performance. Clearly he isn't pleased with the way Maurice is using certain players and has now made the odd move of giving coaching instructions through the press.
My guess is that Maurice IS on the hot seat and he will not keep his job if we don't see significant improvement (i.e. wins) during November.

karparules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 01:46 PM
Boom Boom Anton

My first thought when I heard he was being recalled was that it was because Whitney was being traded. This was before I heard that Whitney/Ruutu were injured.

I am excited to see Boychuk play some quality minutes.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 01:58 PM
OrioleWay
Jailbait

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dewaltgirl/4009931284/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dewaltgirl/4009163001/

Put kid with Cole. They have chemistry .

OrioleWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Anton Bubdobin
I hates summer

Quote:
If I hear him even hint at the idea that our PP has a system, I might check myself into the insane asylum.
We could always decline the penalties. The NFL allows it, so why not.

Anton Bubdobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 02:54 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Boychuk actually looked pretty good in his 2 games up last year, although he did look pretty nervous and overwhelmed as you could see when he shot over a wide open net and missed some other chances. But hey, at least he was creating them unlike most of the guys on the team now. I think his speed and tenacity will do the team good for as long as he's up.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 03:11 PM
caniac247

Yay, now tomorrow night won't be such a waste afterall.

Even though the kid is small, it sure is gonna be nice seeing someone drive to the net.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 03:33 PM
NobodysFaulkButMine
You jelly, Staal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
We could always decline the penalties. The NFL allows it, so why not.
It sure as hell would be less painful to watch. But then all of Staal's dives will be for nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
Cole and Boychuk made some good contact on those high fives. 5 point night each?

Old
11-05-2009, 04:12 PM
Guerzy
Serenity

vCash: 200
I have a feeling Boychuk has seen the last of Albany. Thinking of what he was saying during training camp in how he would just have to knock a veteran out of a spot, speaks volumes from a young kid like Boychuk and the confidence he has in himself and his abilities. We need that attitude on the ice now more than ever. And knowing how poorly the team is doing, knowing Staal is on the shelf for some time along with a couple others, knowing our vets simply aren't getting it done, knowing one of them has even been placed on waivers and lastly, seeing what JR said in the media 2 days ago will motivate Boychuk even more in my opinion to put his best foot forward here in order to stay in Carolina. There is no better opportunity than the one Boychuk has right now.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 11:23 PM
Denzil
NOLU

Well... he's certainly good enough - bad timing for us though

Denzil is offline   Reply With Quote