HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Yankees win their 27th World Series (MLB Offseason Thread)

Old
11-05-2009, 12:46 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Thank God they beat the Phillies. I can't stand that team. Can't stand their fans. Can't stand their players.

As a Mets fan, it was hard to root for the Evil Empire, but watching the Phillies fail was about as good as possible.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 12:53 AM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
I can't believe its been almost a decade since this happened. I felt like it was yesterday. Everything is right in the sports universe again.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 01:13 AM
ecemleafs

world order has been restored.

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 01:20 AM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

It feels good to be back on top

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 01:31 AM
IBleedOil247

vCash: 681
I hope AJ broke Victorino's fingers!

Edmonton (yes, all the way over here) fan of the Yankee's! Loved it!

Tonight made the hurt from 04' fade a bit!

IBleedOil247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 01:37 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87
The Phillies have Lidge. He didn't pitch well this season, but he is pitching this postseason like he did last season.

He was perfect last season.

Mo Rivera does NOT scare me.
Somehow....I still have trouble believing this quote.....

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 01:43 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Interesting note by Michael Kay during the Yes post game show..

Joe Nathan...blew a game for the Twins.
Brian Fuentes...blew a game for the Angels.
Brad Lidge...blew a game for the Phillies.

Mariano Rivera these playoffs? 1 (meaningless) earned run in 16 innings pitched. No blown saves, 14 strikeouts...and a world series ring.

Scared now? ;-)

Old
11-05-2009, 01:46 AM
TylerDurden

Thank you yankees. Most mets fans appreciate it. Now i must hate the Yanks again.

TylerDurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 02:08 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Percentage of homegrown players on each team's 25-man roster

AMERICAN LEAGUE

Team Pct.
New York Yankees 56%
Detroit Tigers 52%
Los Angeles Angels 52%
Boston Red Sox 48%
Minnesota Twins 48%
Seattle Mariners 40%
Oakland Athletics 36%
Cleveland Indians 32%
Texas Rangers 32%
Toronto Blue Jays 32%
Baltimore Orioles 28%
Chicago White Sox 28%
Tampa Bay Rays 28%
Kansas City Royals 20%
AL Average: 38%

Old
11-05-2009, 02:10 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
We now know the definitive answer to "Who's Your Daddy."

It's Hideki Matsui.

Old
11-05-2009, 02:22 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

I've hated the Damn Yankees for over 50 years but I was rooting for them this year.

George Steinbrenner did his best to bring all you rotten Yankee fans a winner. I'm happy for him.

Plus, how can one not rejoice when Philadelphia loses?

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 02:47 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
**** YEAH!!!!!!!!! NUMBER 27!!!!!!!!!!!

I know 9 years isn't much in the grand scheme of things - especially when you consider teams like the Cubs. And I know between seeing 5 Yankees championships, 3 Giants super bowls and a Rangers Stanley Cup that I've been spoiled, but winning never gets old. Parades never get old. This is the ultimate reward for following a team from April to November and living and dying with every move.

The Phillies fought hard and I give them credit - they are a hell of a team. However, there is a NEW World ****in' champion. And it is the New York Yankees.

See you at the parade!!!

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 03:26 AM
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD

Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
I was working the platform on the 4 train today for the baseball game...and I gotta say,

I've never seen fans celebrate like that. I can't imagine how anyone within a 5 mile radius was able to sleep. It was soooo loud for soooo long outside the stadium as the fans poured out. They were going absolutely bonkers!! Whistles, guiro's, jumping up and down, screaming, chanting, camera flashes everywhere...it was just friggin insane.

I even saw some dude being yanked off a street pole by the cops and the guy just had boxers on. Let's not forget it was pretty nippy out.

As a Yankee fan...at least I can say I was able to celebrate "at the stadium" so to speak.

Now if only my Rangers could end this 15 year drought. I'd really love to celebrate that...

-Brian

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 03:58 AM
Onion Boy

Dominating performance by Hideki Matsui. People here are loving it. Matsui had been losing his reign as the most popular player here to Ichiro, but I think he successfully regained it tonight. He must feel awesome right now.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 06:38 AM
Sockosensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onion Boy View Post
Dominating performance by Hideki Matsui. People here are loving it. Matsui had been losing his reign as the most popular player here to Ichiro, but I think he successfully regained it tonight. He must feel awesome right now.
But you know, Onion Boy, this means we're going to have to hear about it for however long we stay in Japan...
...but if that's the price of winning #27, I'll sign on the dotted line.

Sockosensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 07:14 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Thankful the Yankee fans 9, hard, long, woeful years of suffering are over. I mean really, 9 between championships years is a lot to ask of anyone. The sun — shining just a little brighter today.

11-05-2009, 07:25 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by letitrain View Post
Congrats Yankees fans. Hopefully we'll have a rematch next year.

Hope so. That Philly team should be good again.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 08:24 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87
The Phillies have Lidge. He didn't pitch well this season, but he is pitching this postseason like he did last season.

He was perfect last season.

Mo Rivera does NOT scare me.
WOW. Someone ate their words huh?

Mariano Rivera is not only the best closer of all time hes one of the top 10 pitchers of all time. He is as dominant and automatic as anyone whos ever played the game, and it cannot be disputed. I dont think the fans will realize how great he is until hes gone.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 08:31 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
When the Yanks got eliminated by Seattle in 1994, it seemed like the Rangers had a better future. But Yankees won it 4 times and we haven't even come close.
You mean '95 - You were thinking Rangers I was crushed when the Yankees lost that year. And even more so when Buck Showalter was let go just a few days after the season. Showalter was a throwback, "If you hit a home run, get around the bases and get in the dugout and start thinking about playing defense." It's a tough attitude to get across to most players, but some still do it. Buck would love Chase Utley.

Every time the Yankees win (since 96) I go through the memories of how much things have changed, how much emotions have changed with a Championship. The 96 team was a good team, but was just an improbable win. So many things went right. So many times you just knew the Yankees were done.

Even though I am not *that* old (36), there are a select few of us that didnt grow up with the Yankees winning "all the time". The same goes for people a bit older, pretty much anyone born in the early 60's.

I was too young to understand the success of the late 70's. My real memories start around 82-83. The teams were ok through the early to mid 80s, but without a wildcard, the Yankees always fell just a few games short. The Mets were king of NY and the Yankees were just the other team who "won a lot a long time ago." The Yankee and Met attitudes were very different, too. The Yankee attitude was defined by Don Mattingly. After hitting a homerun in a game in the mid 80's, the fans wanted him out for a curtain call. He never came out and after the game was asked why. "If you want curtain calls, go to Flushing."

For anyone under late 20's, I chuckle a bit because you never saw what I saw (and people older than me). We're relatively close in age but have two completely different perspectives on the Yankees.

First, NO ONE will every go to the Bronx for a baseball game. It's way too dangerous. It's impossible to get to. The infrastructure will never be able to handle big crowds. Yankee Stadium is falling down. The Yankees must move (the Meadowlands was thrown around a lot as a location). This is everything we heard through the 80's (and early 90's).

The other thing that I find interesting is George Steinbrenner was probably the biggest NY sports villain since Walter O'Malley. He was constantly torn apart in the tabloids on a daily basis. Not so now... Winning cures all.

11-05-2009, 08:32 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Mariano Rivera is...the best closer of all time
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
hes one of the top 10 pitchers of all time.
No.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 08:39 AM
ThirdEye

Apparently Mo was injured too (ribs)

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 08:51 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

My friend asked me, when should we consider this game a lock? I said when Mariano comes in. He's just lights out. I don't know how anyone can say that Mariano doesn't scare them.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 09:35 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Somehow....I still have trouble believing this quote.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Interesting note by Michael Kay during the Yes post game show..

Joe Nathan...blew a game for the Twins.
Brian Fuentes...blew a game for the Angels.
Brad Lidge...blew a game for the Phillies.

Mariano Rivera these playoffs? 1 (meaningless) earned run in 16 innings pitched. No blown saves, 14 strikeouts...and a world series ring.

Scared now? ;-)
Brad Lidge scared me more then Rivera, but for the wrong reasons. I knew Rivera would be good, but that a few hits might be able to get something going (and the Phils did get hits off him, they just didnt do anything with the RISP, which is typical). I was terrified when Lidge was up there, and my terrors were confirmed when he blew Game 4, which we could have won.

Mo is an awesome closer, no doubt. He gave the Phils opportunities though, and the Phils just blew them. Lidge has had an awful season start to finish after getting injured in spring training. It only seems right that Who's Your Daddy Martinez and Lidge would come up so far short in the World Series and that Madson would actually look like a decent pitcher. (I hate Ryan Madson).

Enjoy your WS win. Things just seemed to go right for the Yanks and our best players last year (Cole Hamels, Brad Lidge, Ryan Howard) were downright awful this time in the World Series. You just can't repeat without them.

I am hoping for a rematch next year. IMHO, no other team in the NL even comes close to Philly, except maybe LA or the Cards, so we shall see.

2008 Postseason - A New Hope
2009 Postseason - The Empire Strikes Back
PHI-NYY rematch in 2010! - Return of the Jedi!

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 09:55 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
The new av good?
yes. You designed it yourself?

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 10:00 AM
NYROrtsFan

Awesome World Series and it's great the Yanks won. Didn't think the Yanks could lose this year with how well they played the entire season, especially since ARod got back.

And Kay brought up those other closers, but ARod was the guy who did it all against each of those closers. Nathan is a proven great closer, Fuentes sucks, and ARod hurt Lidge too.

Who knows if any other hitter in the league does those things against those players.

AND PLEASE!!!! Will the Mets sign Lackey so I never have to see the Phillies in the playoffs again???

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote