HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Yankees win their 27th World Series (MLB Offseason Thread)

Old
11-05-2009, 12:47 PM
levski87

vCash: 500
Matsui

Does anyone think Matsui and Damon will be resigned?

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 12:56 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Rays, Marlins, White Sox, Rockies, Dbacks, Astros have made it to the series with low/middle of the road payrolls.
hahaha, half were flukes, Marlins props for good drafting, and luck

consistantly good teams = NOPE

MLB is a joke.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 01:12 PM
Fletch

Singn'...

would the Mets be much closer if they were healthy for the better part of a season?

Last night was my first trip to the place where the Yankees currently play, so I guess I picked a good night to go. More quiet than the old place and there was a very relaxing feel to the whole environment (as if everyone either knew the Yanks would win, or there was margin for error, or they were too busy drinking the Pinot Grigio and eating their Lo Mein to care). $56 for four dogs and two beers?

In any event, nice way to close out a season in which they opened a new stadium. I don't care how much money you spend, winning that 11th game is tough because there are some darn good teams you meet along the way and that Phillies team especially is dangerous. On to the next decade...

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 01:16 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
Michael Kay said he doesn't think so, because of the age and high salaries, 15 mil each

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 01:39 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
would the Mets be much closer if they were healthy for the better part of a season?
I'm not sure. They would still have to make decision about Delgado. Wright had a seriously disappointing year and has regressed when it comes to his plate approach. Reyes is still an enigma. Perez is still inconsistent. They still had Tim Redding and Livan Hernandez taking the ball.

The more troubling thing is with all the injuries, no kid stepped up and wowed. Either they're not that good or Manuel can't get anything out of them.

11-05-2009, 01:49 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
I think Damon will be back, strictly because he can play the outfield for the majority of a season while Matsui cant. The Yankees outfield is in deep trouble if they dont sign Damon. Melky-Gardner-Swisher just wont cut it from an offensive standpoint. You can either throw a big longterm contract at Jason Bay or Matt Holliday, or you can re-sign Damon for 2 years. I think Damon would be the smarter investment considering all the long-term deals the Yanks have already shelled out.

I cant see Matsui coming back under any circumstances really. That DH spot needs to be cleared...Jeter, A-Rod, and Posada aren't getting any younger. But what a swan song for Hideki, who was a very, very good Yankee.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 02:00 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I'm not sure. They would still have to make decision about Delgado. Wright had a seriously disappointing year and has regressed when it comes to his plate approach. Reyes is still an enigma. Perez is still inconsistent. They still had Tim Redding and Livan Hernandez taking the ball.

The more troubling thing is with all the injuries, no kid stepped up and wowed. Either they're not that good or Manuel can't get anything out of them.
There's also Pelfrey, who is wildly inconsistent. I know he's still young, but man, very frustrating. I always thought he was better suited to a bullpen role.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 02:03 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
There's also Pelfrey, who is wildly inconsistent. I know he's still young, but man, very frustrating. I always thought he was better suited to a bullpen role.
Oh there are a ton of question marks beyond the ones I listed.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 02:09 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Don't see it with Johnson. The team needs a bat that puts fear in people. Johnson doesn't do that.

Agree on Murphy. He's a bench player.

They also need to retool their bench. Reed, Evans, Sullivan, Valdez, Hernandez do nothing. I can live with Cora, Pagan, and Santos.
I want them to keep Sullivan. He's a very good bench guy to have. I like his game. The rest of the guys you listed who don't do anything for you are the same for me. They can all go away.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 02:20 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Boras is going to shop Damon to the highest bidder. Whether or not a team bites at the Boras sales pitch is a different story.In the winter of 2005,Boras wanted $16-$17 million per for Damon and ended up taking the Yankees offer of 4 years/$52 million.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 02:21 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I want them to keep Sullivan. He's a very good bench guy to have. I like his game. The rest of the guys you listed who don't do anything for you are the same for me. They can all go away.
I wouldn't give up on Evans yet. I have no idea what the hell happened to him mentally after spring training, but they kid still has a live bat. If he can come back next season and put it together, he's a nice player. He should definitely start in AAA though, and be told from the outset that he's starting in AAA and has to win a call up.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 02:22 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio41 View Post
Michael Kay said he doesn't think so, because of the age and high salaries, 15 mil each
Damon and Matsui had the same contracts.4 years/$52 million/$13 million

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
hahaha, half were flukes, Marlins props for good drafting, and luck

consistantly good teams = NOPE

MLB is a joke.
Sour grapes my friend.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

id love for the yanks to trade for Roy Halladay...

/greedy

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 03:16 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
id love for the yanks to trade for Roy Halladay...

/greedy
Trade who?

You really think they'll trade him to a division rival, and worse, the Yanks!?

Old
11-05-2009, 03:47 PM
D713B

Quote:
Nick Johnson does nothing for this team.
How many players on the Mets last season had an OPS+ of 121 or higher? Only Beltran at 141. In his previous year he had an OPS+ of 149.

I'm still amazed by how underrated Nick Johnson is. The guy can handle the bat in all situations, plays defense and by most accounts is a great clubhouse guy. The only way I don't want him on my team is if I have a guy like Howard, Pujols, Teixeira, Fielder, Cabrera, Pena or Gonzalez at first. Unless the Mets can work a deal for Gonzalez, which is unlikely, I would be hoping to see Nick Johnson at first base if I'm a Met fan.

Quote:
Trade who?

There's been a lot of talk about it, be it the Sox or Yanks as potential suitors. Roy is going to get traded at some point because he certainly isn't re-signing with the Jays. The new GM would be wise to take the best trade package regardless of where it comes from. Trading a star within the division isn't a major issue when they're a 34 year old starter and your team is realistically at least two to three seasons away from competing for the division. You take the best package and begin re-tooling.

Last edited by D713B: 11-05-2009 at 03:54 PM.
D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 03:56 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
How many players on the Mets last season had an OPS+ of 121 or higher? Only Beltran at 141. In his previous year he had an OPS+ of 149.

I'm still amazed by how underrated Nick Johnson is. The guy can handle the bat in all situations, plays defense and by most accounts is a great clubhouse guy. The only way I don't want him on my team is if I have a guy like Howard, Pujols, Teixeira, Fielder, Cabrera, Pena or Gonzalez at first. Unless the Mets can work a deal for Gonzalez, which is unlikely, I would be hoping to see Nick Johnson at first base if I'm a Met fan.

There's been a lot of talk about it, be it the Sox or Yanks as potential suitors. Roy is going to get traded at some point because he certainly isn't re-signing with the Jays. The new GM would be wise to take the best trade package regardless of where it comes from. Trading a star within the division isn't a major issue when they're a 34 year old starter and your team is realistically two to three seasons away from competing for the division. You take the best package and begin re-tooling.
Okay, I see your point. One other thing though, don't know if Halladay wants to play 2nd banana to CC.

So who do you think they'll want in a trade? Gotta be at least 1 or 2 guys currently on the roster.

Old
11-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Sour grapes my friend.
If you objectively think the grapes are sour, nothing wrong with calling it like you see it. Though I'll concede, a thread full of people enjoying their wine, might not be the best place.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 04:07 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

The Mets need a guy with pop and a run producer. Johnson is not that guy.

Old
11-05-2009, 04:08 PM
ecemleafs

Crawford Webb might become free agents. I'd say both NY teams would be interested in them.

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 04:12 PM
D713B

Quote:
The Mets need a guy with pop and a run producer. Johnson is not that guy.
The Mets have more than one hole. You don't need to fill them all with one player. Aside from that, who is a better option at first that's readily available? You aren't finding a better package at first base than Nick Johnson this off-season. You'll have to fill the power need with an OF bat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
Crawford Webb might become free agents. I'd say both NY teams would be interested in them.
Kazmir was traded so TB could pick up Crawford's option and Arizona has made it known that Webb's option will be picked up.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 04:13 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Trade who?

Yes, I think they would..and i think an offer centered around Robinson Cano could get it done. Guy was one of the best hitters in the AL, one of the best fielders in the AL, and has a nice cap friendly contract.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 04:17 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
The Mets have more than one hole. You don't need to fill them all with one player. Aside from that, who is a better option at first that's readily available? You aren't finding a better package at first base than Nick Johnson this off-season. You'll have to fill the power need with an OF bat.
I've said earlier, that I really don't have any idea what to do with this team.

I agree they have more than one hole I've said as much.

The prospect of adding Nick Johnson to the lineup is not an idea that totally excites me.

Old
11-05-2009, 04:17 PM
ecemleafs

seems a pretty ****** FA class. glad we splashed the cash last winter

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 04:18 PM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

This was a very weird season but very rewarding.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote