HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Yankees win their 27th World Series (MLB Offseason Thread)

Old
11-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Yes, I think they would..and i think an offer centered around Robinson Cano could get it done. Guy was one of the best hitters in the AL, one of the best fielders in the AL, and has a nice cap friendly contract.
Too bad there is no cap in baseball

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 04:22 PM
D713B

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I've said earlier, that I really don't have any idea what to do with this team.

I agree they have more than one hole — I've said as much.

The prospect of adding Nick Johnson to the lineup is not an idea that totally excites me.
He's not an exciting player. Although he's a piece of the puzzle if you ask me. As I said previously, there's only a handful of first basemen in the league that anyone should want over him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist=Vezina View Post
Too bad there is no cap in baseball
There is in Toronto though.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 05:03 PM
D713B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Okay, I see your point. One other thing though, don't know if Halladay wants to play 2nd banana to CC.

So who do you think they'll want in a trade? Gotta be at least 1 or 2 guys currently on the roster.
I think CC would play second banana to Roy.

I really don't know who they would want to be honest, I'm not too familiar with the state of their farm system. I know they have some good pitching in AAA and a top OF prospect but after that I don't know much. They won't get anything close to the Sox offer of Buchholz, Masterson, Hagadone, Bowden and Reddick this past season.

Buchholz and Masterson we've seen pitch at the major league level and both will be starters. Hagadone is still in the minors and would be ranked higher as a prospect if he didn't have TJ surgery but was a top draft pick, is 6'5 230ish and has great stuff. Hagadone is the boom/bust type. Bowden is a SP prospect in their system but has been knocked around in limited MLB experience. Reddick is their top positional prospect, good hitter and better outfielder.

So basically for a year and half of Halladay the benchmark was two young "established" SP's, a good SP prospect, top positional prospect and boom/bust pitching prospect. It's pretty clear why Riccardi was fired.

I'm not sure what it will take to get Halladay from our perspective. They couldn't use Cano, as Inferno suggested, unless they planned on changing his or Aaron Hill's position, one could definitely argue that Hill > Cano. Wang could be a piece to the puzzle if he comes back healthy next year. They're definitely going to want one of Joba or Phil. Austin Jackson is our top OF prospect and a top prospect in baseball. If I'm the Blue Jays I'm asking for something along the lines of a Wang/Hughes or Joba/Jackson at a minimum.

Old
11-05-2009, 05:32 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue35 View Post
Got a few questions for tomorrows parade. What time do you recommend getting there in order to have a good view. Also what location would be good.
I'm going to be getting there at 10. I know some people who are getting there earlier, but I don't think that's all that necessary. At the Giants parade I got there about an hour early and I was four people deep and got a great view.

And as much as we complain, myself included, people who root for the teams I do are really lucky. I've seen three of my four teams win titles and I've seen 14 appearances in the finals from my teams, so that's not too bad when you think of cities like Cleveland and even Philly who has one title since 1983.

As for next year, I don't want to think about it just yet, but I really hope Hideki comes back. I wouldn't be shocked to see Damon go even though he can still play the outfield (a little) and he's a great clubhouse guy. It's just hard to dump a guy who just played the game of his life. Of course Damon had a great series too, so it's not an easy decision.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 05:35 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Can't wait to go to the parade tomorrow. Yanks are the best! It was a loong 9 years. Now, that baseball season is over I have to torment myself watching the Isles and Jets.

Thank God for the Yankees.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 06:11 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRBlaznBure9 View Post
I agree...

Look at them to be players in Lackey, Holliday and Nick Johnson. Their first priority should be a legitimate #2 starter.

Why would they go after Nick Johnson? John Lackey is the guy they should be going after hard, possibly best starter available this offseason. Erik Bedard, Rich Harden and possibly Brandon Webb (has an option) are the guys they should be looking at. Mets dont need offense, having healthy Reyes, Delgado, Beltran and Wright will take care of that. They need pitching after Santana.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 06:13 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
WOW. Someone ate their words huh?

Mariano Rivera is not only the best closer of all time hes one of the top 10 pitchers of all time. He is as dominant and automatic as anyone whos ever played the game, and it cannot be disputed. I dont think the fans will realize how great he is until hes gone.

He is without a shadow of doubt the best closer of all time. As for top-10 pitcher of all time, no way. You would struggle to put him in top 20.

Old
11-05-2009, 06:17 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
Does anyone think Matsui and Damon will be resigned?

Damon probably will, Matsui - highly unlikely. Matsui is too fragile and could break at any minute now. Plus we need to clear that DH spot for Posada pretty soon as well.

Old
11-05-2009, 06:22 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
It's sad that the last time one of my teams had a championship parade, it was the Blueshirts a decade and a half ago...

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 06:24 PM
darko

Quote:
Yes, I think they would..and i think an offer centered around Robinson Cano could get it done. Guy was one of the best hitters in the AL, one of the best fielders in the AL, and has a nice cap friendly contract.
Pipedream I reckon. I dont see Jays trading Halladay within the division plus they already have Hill at 2B so they dont need Cano. Hill hasn't played at SS for 3 years now. Anyways Jays will want pitching in return judging by what they were asking for at the deadline. If Yankees are to be in this it'll need to start with Joba or Hughes.

Old
11-05-2009, 06:28 PM
D713B

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Why would they go after Nick Johnson? John Lackey is the guy they should be going after hard, possibly best starter available this offseason. Erik Bedard, Rich Harden and possibly Brandon Webb (has an option) are the guys they should be looking at. Mets dont need offense, having healthy Reyes, Delgado, Beltran and Wright will take care of that. They need pitching after Santana.
Why Nick Johnson? He's posted a 149 and 121 OPS+ the past two seasons. No Met had a higher OPS+ than 141 this past season and only two had a 121 or higher. He happens to play excellent defense and is a great clubhouse guy to boot.

Also because Carlos Delgado is a free agent and at 38 years old why would you want to shell out the kind of money he's going to want? I'd rather sign Johnson, which won't cost much at all and go after a Jason Bay or Matt Holliday.

Old
11-05-2009, 06:31 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
They need a lot. And they do need offense. Delgado is no lock to be back or productive. Until we see Beltran and Reyes play a good stretch of games, they too have to be injury concerns.

They need a lot:

1B
LF
C
At least two starters.
Bench help.

11-05-2009, 06:49 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
Why Nick Johnson? He's posted a 149 and 121 OPS+ the past two seasons. No Met had a higher OPS+ than 141 this past season and only two had a 121 or higher. He happens to play excellent defense and is a great clubhouse guy to boot.

Also because Carlos Delgado is a free agent and at 38 years old why would you want to shell out the kind of money he's going to want? I'd rather sign Johnson, which won't cost much at all and go after a Jason Bay or Matt Holliday.

I'm not doubting Nick Johnson, he's one of the more underrated players in the league. How healthy do you think Nick Johnson will be? Also Mets dont have a power bat, Delgado could be that again. The guy is 37 and was injured most of the last season but you can't disregard what he did in 2nd half of 08 when some people were making a case for him as MVP.

Anyways I'm not sure how much money Mets are willing to spend this offseason. I guess since you guys need LF going for Bay or Holliday makes sense. Holliday is probably a guy you have a solid shot of getting, something is telling me Sox will pony up for Bay. If you do get Holliday then Nick Johnson makes sense. If you miss out on both Bay and Holliday, you better bring back Delgado.

Either way pitching should be No1 priority. Mostly question marks after Santana. Pelfrey is decent but he's a solid No3 or 4 guy.

Old
11-05-2009, 06:51 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
They need a lot. And they do need offense. Delgado is no lock to be back or productive. Until we see Beltran and Reyes play a good stretch of games, they too have to be injury concerns.

They need a lot:

1B
LF
C
At least two starters.
Bench help.
Yeah I guess you could really use a LF and probably a catcher but surely Starting Rotation has to be No1 priority. If you are going to shell out big bucks might as well give it to Lackey. Santana-Lackey-Pelfrey wouldnt a bad 1-2-3 at all.

Holliday and Bay will not be cheap.

Old
11-05-2009, 06:53 PM
ecemleafs

do the mets have there own salary cap?

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 07:11 PM
D713B

Quote:
I'm not doubting Nick Johnson, he's one of the more underrated players in the league. How healthy do you think Nick Johnson will be? Also Mets dont have a power bat, Delgado could be that again. The guy is 37 and was injured most of the last season but you can't disregard what he did in 2nd half of 08 when some people were making a case for him as MVP.

Anyways I'm not sure how much money Mets are willing to spend this offseason. I guess since you guys need LF going for Bay or Holliday makes sense. Holliday is probably a guy you have a solid shot of getting, something is telling me Sox will pony up for Bay. If you do get Holliday then Nick Johnson makes sense. If you miss out on both Bay and Holliday, you better bring back Delgado.

Either way pitching should be No1 priority. Mostly question marks after Santana. Pelfrey is decent but he's a solid No3 or 4 guy.
I'm not a Met fan so I don't know what their sentiments are in regards to Delgado. Coming from an unbiased perspective I'd rather cut the cord one year too early than one year too late, especially after the season the Mets endured. What he did in the second half of '08 will be a year and half away by the time next season comes around. I'd take a 31 year old Nick Johnson and save my money for a LF bat and SP help if I'm Minaya.

Old
11-06-2009, 04:32 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

http://riveraveblues.com/2009/11/clo...-injury-19584/

Mo was pitching with a pretty bad injury...he said he doesnt know if he would have been able to pitch a game 7....interesting....

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 08:09 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Looks like the Mets won't pick up Putz's option.

http://bats.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/1...bly-part-ways/

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 08:30 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

I encountered an absurd number of fans in Yankee gear roaming the streets on my way to work today. Most of them seemed to be teenage girls trying to look pretty and meatheads shouting LETS GO YANKEES at 830am.

I dont know, maybe its because Im getting older, but I can take pride in the fact that Im a fan that watched about 120 games this year and all of the playoffs. Ill let the Johnny-Come-Latelys have the parade.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 08:36 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I encountered an absurd number of fans in Yankee gear roaming the streets on my way to work today. Most of them seemed to be teenage girls trying to look pretty and meatheads shouting LETS GO YANKEES at 830am.

I dont know, maybe its because Im getting older, but I can take pride in the fact that Im a fan that watched about 120 games this year and all of the playoffs. Ill let the Johnny-Come-Latelys have the parade.
That's how I feel..

I bet money if you ask these people about guys like Bob Geren, Ron Hassey, Wayne Tollison, Cecillio Guante they would look at you with a blank stare..

It feels great to end the long 9 year drought though!
Posted via Mobile Device

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 08:48 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
That's how I feel..

I bet money if you ask these people about guys like Bob Geren, Ron Hassey, Wayne Tollison, Cecillio Guante they would look at you with a blank stare..

Posted via Mobile Device
Ditto !

Trains were packed with kids who are taking advantage of not having to go to school...which i wouldve done too...but man, pretty annoying....

And SOS, great list of former Yanks, those are the names me and my cousins like to bring up during games - the Hass man, Tolly, and Cecillio...classic

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 09:01 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
That's how I feel..

Posted via Mobile Device
I think that's a little arrogant...no, strike that, very arrogant. Many Yankee fans, like myself, are just younger...and didn't start watching baseball till they were 10, 11, 12 years old. When Tolleson retired I was 10 years old...am I to be chastized because I know who Randy Velarde is, but not who Tolleson is?

Sorry, I call shenanigans on that. I have a hazy recollection of the mattingly years, mostly because I wasn't into baseball as much as the Transformers, Voltron and GI Joe...sue me.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 09:10 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Every team that does well has 'the bandwagon', thats true. Remeber 94??? There were a ton of people on that bandwagon who didnt even know the current players names, but hell, that was a great time wasn't it?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 09:14 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
I think that's a little arrogant...no, strike that, very arrogant. Many Yankee fans, like myself, are just younger...and didn't start watching baseball till they were 10, 11, 12 years old. When Tolleson retired I was 10 years old...am I to be chastized because I know who Randy Velarde is, but not who Tolleson is?

Sorry, I call shenanigans on that. I have a hazy recollection of the mattingly years, mostly because I wasn't into baseball as much as the Transformers, Voltron and GI Joe...sue me.

I was talking in general terms about the fans in new york. Perhaps if you were in the city this morning you would have a clue what WE are talking about..
Posted via Mobile Device

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Fletch

you are getting older, SoS, but it gets weirder when you're hanging out watching a game with a friend of yours tells you that the first game he went to Ralph Terry was the starter.

That was a good list of players...the list goes on if you were in your teens in the 80s, like me, when the obscure names went on and on and on and on. I gotta admit - I'm still trying to remember Geren - did he catch by any chance?

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote