HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

All Hail The Yankees!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-10-2009, 03:17 PM
  #276
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Luciano View Post
That didn't make anything clear at all. All you did was reiterate the same incorrect points as all the others.

MONEY DOES NOT EQUAL SUCCESS

Let me put it in hockey terms so it's clear for you people. You can have all the money in the world (Darryl Katz) but if you give it all to the Sean Horcoffs of the world, you will not be winning championships.

If it was that much of an uneven playing field, it wouldn't have been almost a decade since the Yankees last won.
Then it is you that is not getting it.

I will use the Oilers as an example.

They could scout, they could draft and even make trades to make talent here but when they could not afford to keep those players they drafted. Teams that had double the payroll would either sign those players as free agent or the Oilers would be forced to trade those players away for more prospects and draft picks.

New York can afford to spend more on drafting, development, can afford to keep their own players that they drafted, sign any free agents they want etc. This puts them at a distinct advantage and to pretend that is not the case is ridiculous!

New Yorks opening day payroll in 2009 was 201 million dollars. No one else spent 150 million! So the Yankees had an advantage of over 50 million on EVERY other team in baseball. In fact ONLY 7 major league teams had over 100 million payroll so that means that the Yankees had over a 100 million advantage of almost every team in baseball!!

The closest team to the Yankees in Payroll was the Mets and the disparity was still over 50 million dollars!

It is laughable to pretend that the Yankees do not have a clear and distinct advantage over every other team in baseball!

Thanks for making do that research, it has convinced me even more why I do not watch baseball!!

Any sport with a team with such a huge advantage over every other team is not worth my time!

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 03:22 PM
  #277
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Luciano View Post
That didn't make anything clear at all. All you did was reiterate the same incorrect points as all the others.

MONEY DOES NOT EQUAL SUCCESS

Let me put it in hockey terms so it's clear for you people. You can have all the money in the world (Darryl Katz) but if you give it all to the Sean Horcoffs of the world, you will not be winning championships.

If it was that much of an uneven playing field, it wouldn't have been almost a decade since the Yankees last won.
You can't even compare it to hockey since hockey has a salary cap and baseball doesn't. The yankees were never hurt by a bad contract that was signed because they could jsut go out next summer and try again. In the NHL the Oilers will be hampered by contracts like Horcoffs until they expire or they are bought out.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 03:35 PM
  #278
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,903
vCash: 500
Here are some articles talking about the problems of disparity of salaries in baseball and the advantage those teams have.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/colum..._baseball.html

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseb...icle977489.ece

http://www.cleveland.com/budshaw/ind...mains_the.html

There is lots of them because it is so obvious to almost everyone that follows baseball that there is a problem! I just picked three.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 04:08 PM
  #279
Arpeggio
Registered User
 
Arpeggio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,198
vCash: 500
I guess there's rumours going around that Boston could be taking a run at re-acquiring Hanley Ramirez, because the Marlins won't be able to re-sign him. Even if they have the money to, there's no point because their window isn't there right now to challenge, so they may decide to let him go.

That's ridiculous.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 04:24 PM
  #280
Tad Mikowsky
Retired
 
Tad Mikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
You can't even compare it to hockey since hockey has a salary cap and baseball doesn't. The yankees were never hurt by a bad contract that was signed because they could jsut go out next summer and try again. In the NHL the Oilers will be hampered by contracts like Horcoffs until they expire or they are bought out.
I think a better example would be the Rangers pre Salary cap. Not even all the money could help that mess.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 07:30 PM
  #281
Kyle McMahon
Registered User
 
Kyle McMahon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ghana Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Luciano View Post
That didn't make anything clear at all. All you did was reiterate the same incorrect points as all the others.

MONEY DOES NOT EQUAL SUCCESS

Let me put it in hockey terms so it's clear for you people. You can have all the money in the world (Darryl Katz) but if you give it all to the Sean Horcoffs of the world, you will not be winning championships.

If it was that much of an uneven playing field, it wouldn't have been almost a decade since the Yankees last won.
Let me put it in hockey terms for you. Money won't guarantee success. Just like a breakway doesn't guarantee a goal. But you have a much better chance of scoring on a breakaway (Yankees, Red Sox, etc...) than you do on a shot from the point (Pirates, Brewers, etc...). To try and claim that New York and a select other few aren't playing with a stacked deck is just purposely ignoring what should be blatantly obvious.

Under hockey's system, teams are punished for dumb contracts like the Horcoff one. The Oilers cannot afford to bring in a legitimate star first line center since they are paying a 3rd line center top dollar. In a non-cap world, there is no such accountability. Were the Yankees punished for Giambi's terrible contract for example? No, they could still afford to bring in Rodriguez. In a capped system, they'd be stuck with their mistake and an idiot like Bryan Cashman long since turfed instead of taking mulligans that very few other GMs have the luxury of doing.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 08:39 PM
  #282
Raoul Duke*
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Then it is you that is not getting it.

I will use the Oilers as an example.

They could scout, they could draft and even make trades to make talent here but when they could not afford to keep those players they drafted. Teams that had double the payroll would either sign those players as free agent or the Oilers would be forced to trade those players away for more prospects and draft picks.

New York can afford to spend more on drafting, development, can afford to keep their own players that they drafted, sign any free agents they want etc. This puts them at a distinct advantage and to pretend that is not the case is ridiculous!

New Yorks opening day payroll in 2009 was 201 million dollars. No one else spent 150 million! So the Yankees had an advantage of over 50 million on EVERY other team in baseball. In fact ONLY 7 major league teams had over 100 million payroll so that means that the Yankees had over a 100 million advantage of almost every team in baseball!!

The closest team to the Yankees in Payroll was the Mets and the disparity was still over 50 million dollars!

It is laughable to pretend that the Yankees do not have a clear and distinct advantage over every other team in baseball!

Thanks for making do that research, it has convinced me even more why I do not watch baseball!!

Any sport with a team with such a huge advantage over every other team is not worth my time!
Give me a break, you wouldn't watch if there was a salary cap. Baseball isn't in the business of changing their system on a whim trying to attract fair-weather fans like the NHL is.

New York can afford to spend more on scouting, oddly though, they aren't sending their players out to scout, and hence not on the salary cap payroll. It wouldn't change if there was a cap, in fact the Yankees would have more money to spend when they don't drop it on retards like Giambi.

It wouldn't make a lick of difference if there was a cap, the Yankees would still spend to win. Players will always want to be a Yankee. If New York offers a guy 7 million, and Milwaukee offers him 7 million, 9 times out of 10 they'll end up in pinstripes. Salary cap or not, it won' t change.

It'd make New York more accountable, which I wouldn't mind. But it won't make Florida rich, they won't spend to the cap and there'll always be haves and have nots.

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 08:40 PM
  #283
Raoul Duke*
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Here are some articles talking about the problems of disparity of salaries in baseball and the advantage those teams have.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/colum..._baseball.html

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseb...icle977489.ece

http://www.cleveland.com/budshaw/ind...mains_the.html

There is lots of them because it is so obvious to almost everyone that follows baseball that there is a problem! I just picked three.
If it was a problem the owners would do what they could to change it. They're happy with their system, owners of teams like Kansas City are more than happy to get their luxury tax income from the Yankees and Red Sox.

It's not going to change, despite sour grapes reporting from Philadelphia. I wonder why he didn't write it last year?

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 08:42 PM
  #284
Raoul Duke*
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Let me put it in hockey terms for you. Money won't guarantee success. Just like a breakway doesn't guarantee a goal. But you have a much better chance of scoring on a breakaway (Yankees, Red Sox, etc...) than you do on a shot from the point (Pirates, Brewers, etc...). To try and claim that New York and a select other few aren't playing with a stacked deck is just purposely ignoring what should be blatantly obvious.

Under hockey's system, teams are punished for dumb contracts like the Horcoff one. The Oilers cannot afford to bring in a legitimate star first line center since they are paying a 3rd line center top dollar. In a non-cap world, there is no such accountability. Were the Yankees punished for Giambi's terrible contract for example? No, they could still afford to bring in Rodriguez. In a capped system, they'd be stuck with their mistake and an idiot like Bryan Cashman long since turfed instead of taking mulligans that very few other GMs have the luxury of doing.
I have no problem with a cap, because I'd love to see the Yankees be more accountable instead of just bringing in any and every jerk with an empty sack.

But it's that same system of spending that made me pull out my hair the last 9 years. People act like the Yankees win every year and that there is no competition because of their money. I could see it being a huge problem if that were the case, but they rarely pull it off. Much to my chagrin.

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 07:45 PM
  #285
Kyle McMahon
Registered User
 
Kyle McMahon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ghana Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke* View Post
I have no problem with a cap, because I'd love to see the Yankees be more accountable instead of just bringing in any and every jerk with an empty sack.

But it's that same system of spending that made me pull out my hair the last 9 years. People act like the Yankees win every year and that there is no competition because of their money. I could see it being a huge problem if that were the case, but they rarely pull it off. Much to my chagrin.
Even if they don't win the WS, it's still detrimental. If the Yankees were to go out and sign away the best player from Kansas City or Pittsburgh, it wouldn't guarantee they would win anything, but it would guarantee that the Royals or Pirates couldn't win. Those teams have been driven out of business for the most part. And sure, I realise that the owners of those teams may only be in it to pocket the luxury tax and still make a big profit fielding garbage teams and prefer the system the way it is. But the fans deserve better, and they will eventually go away for good. The system that baseball has allowed over the last 10-15 years has caused once great baseball towns like Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, etc. to be basically relegated to minor league status.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 08:16 PM
  #286
The Joker
Simba
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,182
vCash: 50
I was at game 6.

Go Yankees

The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.