HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Hail The Yankees!

Old
11-05-2009, 12:37 AM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

vCash: 500
World series?

Which country did the US beat this year?

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 12:37 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
I am happiest for Jeter & Rivera.

They are the 2 best baseball players I have seen in my lifetime & I've seen some greats.

I thought Alomar at his pinnacle was the best I would ever see...but Jeter & Rivera are miles beyond that now because they remain at an unparalled level for so long & they both deserve this.

Jeter is the classiest guy in baseball, whether you like the Yankees or not.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 12:39 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
World series?

Which country did the US beat this year?

The same one they beat when they declare themselves "world champions" after the Superbowl. I know, the Americans get a little full of themselves, don't they?

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 12:39 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
No way, we'll gloat while we have the chance. The titles don't come as easily as they used to, or you would think they would. Not since 2000, a full nine long years ago.
Despite payroll, there are just too many other good teams out there.
I'm not gloating, I've just got a big smile on my face and a warm feeling in general. Just so truly great to see your team win.

Makes up slightly for the sting of other defeats we don't talk about in these parts.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 12:41 AM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Quote:
No way, we'll gloat while we have the chance. The titles don't come as easily as they used to, or you would think they would. Not since 2000, a full nine long years ago.
Despite payroll, there are just too many other good teams out there.
....and every other non-Yankee fan will simply say "what took so long?"

gloating when it's expected every year doesn't really have the same effect as, say, if my Cubs ever won (or god forbid the Leafs )

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 12:47 AM
nabob
Hall for captain

$,$,$,$ and one more thing $

MLB is a joke. The Yanks spent $70 million more than the next closest team. And over $200 million in total. The Marlins spent $25 million and were more fun to watch this year.

Comparing the Yankees to the pre cap era Rangers is stupid because the Rags never spent money so aggresively.

The best thing about the Yankees winning is that maybe they wont feel the need to buy every good free agent this off season. Pretty soon they will have guys on the bench making $10-15 million per season just so other teams cant sign them.

ARod is a cheater. No better than Bonds.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 12:49 AM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
I am happiest for Jeter & Rivera.

They are the 2 best baseball players I have seen in my lifetime & I've seen some greats.

I thought Alomar at his pinnacle was the best I would ever see...but Jeter & Rivera are miles beyond that now because they remain at an unparalled level for so long & they both deserve this.
You can't be serious.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 12:50 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Jeter is the classiest guy in baseball, whether you like the Yankees or not.
Though of course, there may be many classier players on the other 28 (27 I guess if you throw in the Jays) teams nobody ever hears about.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 12:50 AM
metallicat

Posada, Cano, Jeter, , Pettite, Rivera, Matsui, Cabrera, Joba, Hughes...who am I missing? All guys brought up within the organization. Sure, there are people that were offered contracts and came to NY, but they've also done a great job of building from within and retaining the talent necessary to win championships.

metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 12:52 AM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
Posada, Cano, Jeter, , Pettite, Rivera, Matsui, Cabrera, Joba, Hughes...who am I missing? All guys brought up within the organization. Sure, there are people that were offered contracts and came to NY, but they've also done a great job of building from within and retaining the talent necessary to win championships.
Now look at all the names that have come up through the Marlins system. Difference is they don't get to keep them.

Old
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post

MLB is a joke. The Yanks spent $70 million more than the next closest team. And over $200 million in total. The Marlins spent $25 million and were more fun to watch this year.

Comparing the Yankees to the pre cap era Rangers is stupid because the Rags never spent money so aggresively.

The best thing about the Yankees winning is that maybe they wont feel the need to buy every good free agent this off season. Pretty soon they will have guys on the bench making $10-15 million per season just so other teams cant sign them.

Actually, I believe Matsui and Damon are both free agents, and if both are let go, and they sign a dude to $20 mil/yr, they save payroll. Or something ridiculous.

I like how parity is anti-sport. I mean, parity is the purest form of sport. Seeing which team is better on an even playing field, instead the MLB decides to let teams like the Yankee's spend close to half a billion in the offseason on contracts and win a championship. They totally just bought a world series.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Congrats but this was bought, not won on merit. Until equity is brought to baseball, it will be a pretty boring exercise.
Precisely, I used to follow the game regularly(since the Jays wins) however the greed that is so pervasive throughout this sport turned me off many years ago. The reality is many teams are just farm teams for the ones that have money.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 12:53 AM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola View Post
Precisely, I used to follow the game regularly(since the Jays wins) however the greed that is so pervasive throughout this sport turned me off many years ago. The reality is many teams are just farm teams for the ones that have money.
The sport is still great. Just the MLB is screwed up.

Old
11-05-2009, 12:56 AM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
Thats like saying Ichiro is a product of the Mariners farm system.

Wow 8 out of 40 something were original yankees picks, or central american free agents who the yankees throw way more money at than other teams can afford to give 16&17 year old kids.

Old
11-05-2009, 12:57 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Screw that damn franchise.

A prime example why Major League Baseball needs a salary cap. Let's see how good their management team is when they can't spend through the roof. It was pretty hilarious watching them fail over and over and over again despite having unlimited spending power.

That said, props to Matsui. Hell of a ball player.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 12:57 AM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
Now look at all the names that have come up through the Marlins system. Difference is they don't get to keep them.
Yeah the Roid using ARod makes more than the whole Marlins Roster. I'll watch the Marlins anyday.

Old
11-05-2009, 12:59 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
The sport is still great. Just the MLB is screwed up.
Agree with you on this one, MLB is a complete joke with the Yankees at the top of the dung pile. I'll bet the Yankees payroll goes up again in the off-season.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 12:59 AM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Whatever, atleast Mauer can now get his damn MVP trophy.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 01:00 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:

That's the thing. Pre-cap NHL at least had six or seven other teams spending huge dough and spreading out the free agents so that one team wasn't just ridiculously loaded. In baseball it's just become a joke. You have teams spending whopping $100 million on their payroll...that don't even have a chance to sign free agents because the Yankees are just miles above them. It's one thing to go after one big-name free agent. But one isn't good enough for New York, not even two. Sabathia, Burnett, and Teixeira all signed up just like that for more than the entire payroll of several teams. It's just stupid. I don't even know why I still follow MLB. Every year is basically just the equivalent of Usain Bolt racing against a high school track team, and just hoping he'll somehow screw up (and amazingly, we actually were rewarded with screw-ups for the last eight seasons, which Yankee fans use to justify their destruction of the sport).

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 01:02 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I thought that it was hilarious that the commentators were talking about how the Yankees might let Matsui walk this off season in favor of letting Posada DH. Are you kidding me?

Old
11-05-2009, 01:03 AM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola View Post
Agree with you on this one, MLB is a complete joke with the Yankees at the top of the dung pile. I'll bet the Yankees payroll goes up again in the off-season.
There is just no way that teams can compete.

You are basically picking between the Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals, Angels, Phillies, Cubs, and the Mets.

Other teams are screwed.

Old
11-05-2009, 01:03 AM
nabob
Hall for captain

Its pretty pathetic actually that the Yanks havent won in the previous 8 years.

Old
11-05-2009, 01:07 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Its pretty pathetic actually that the Yanks havent won in the previous 8 years.
Like I said, their management team is horrible. It's like they toss darts at a display of big name free agents. They finally lucked out with their big spending.

Old
11-05-2009, 01:14 AM
Philly85
Moody'

NEW YAWK NEW YAWK!!

World Series champs baby.

That was a throwback championship game.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 01:17 AM
Arpeggio

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I'm a huge baseball fan, but honestly I'm getting tired of the Yankees being the favorites to win... every. single. year. And if it's not the Yankees, then it's the Red Sox, or the Angels, or the Cubs. When are we ever going to see the Giants, Padres, Pirates, Reds, etc. with a legit shot at putting together a strong team for more than a year at a time?

Yeah, we get a team like the Marlins making a run every once in a while, but then they lose all their players to free agency/trades because they can't afford them, and then they have to start building all over again.

And give me a break about the Yankees being "home grown". They tried that for a year or two, didn't win anything, so they reverted back to spending big bucks. Frankly, after buying guys like ARod, Texiera, Sabathia, Burnett, Matsui, Damon, as well as being able to hang on to all of your own talent, you should win more often than not.

Edit: And guess what? Next year, instead of Hairston/Swish in the outfield, throw Matt Holliday out there. And then put John Lackey into their rotation. Yeah, good luck MLB.

Last edited by Arpeggio: 11-05-2009 at 01:25 AM.
Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote