HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Hail The Yankees!

Old
11-05-2009, 01:26 AM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Screw that damn franchise.

A prime example why Major League Baseball needs a salary cap. Let's see how good their management team is when they can't spend through the roof. It was pretty hilarious watching them fail over and over and over again despite having unlimited spending power.

That said, props to Matsui. Hell of a ball player.
that's why I gloat when they don't win....they have the power to throw gobs and gobs of money to any players they want
They don't even make the playoffs without having throwing 300 million at Sabathia, Teixeira, and Burnett

CantHaveTkachev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 01:44 AM
HFPM

Send a message via MSN to HFPM
Miss the playoffs?

Alright, let's drop 300 million on 3 players.

HFPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 02:11 AM
IBleedOil247

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Congrats but this was bought, not won on merit. Until equity is brought to baseball, it will be a pretty boring exercise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Sooooo $200 million is what it costs to get a World series. Ok, gotcha.

What a farce MLB is becoming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowstorm View Post
This. Congrats to those 100 million dollar contracts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue897 View Post
Congrats to out spending the next closest team by 70 million. The Marlins spent around 25 million in the basement. How can you compete with that? I love baseball, but hate the MLB's disparity of ability to compete.

Personally I put an asterisk next to this one. Just like most of the records held by the leagues best players who have been revealed to have done steroids
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
$,$,$,$ and one more thing $

MLB is a joke. The Yanks spent $70 million more than the next closest team. And over $200 million in total. The Marlins spent $25 million and were more fun to watch this year.

Comparing the Yankees to the pre cap era Rangers is stupid because the Rags never spent money so aggresively.

The best thing about the Yankees winning is that maybe they wont feel the need to buy every good free agent this off season. Pretty soon they will have guys on the bench making $10-15 million per season just so other teams cant sign them.

ARod is a cheater. No better than Bonds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Screw that damn franchise.

A prime example why Major League Baseball needs a salary cap. Let's see how good their management team is when they can't spend through the roof. It was pretty hilarious watching them fail over and over and over again despite having unlimited spending power.

That said, props to Matsui. Hell of a ball player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola View Post
Agree with you on this one, MLB is a complete joke with the Yankees at the top of the dung pile. I'll bet the Yankees payroll goes up again in the off-season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyforpm View Post
Miss the playoffs?

Alright, let's drop 300 million on 3 players.

Booooooo fricken whooooooooooo......

Half of you are probably Red Sox Fans (High Payroll....World Series....not to mention band wagon.......) and half of you are Blue Jays fans (No way did they buy those World Series teams....?!?!?!)

Yankees haven't won in 9 years. Money doesn't buy happiness, but a team with every tool in the tool box does! Way to go Yanks! Slay-Rod put him self on top this year, and Jeter put another notch on the belt.

It was a team effort. You can't say it wasn't. When Tiexiera struggles, Matsui picked up the slack, when A-Rod needed a pick me up, Swisher was there, when Chamberlain let a few slide, here comes Hughes....all day long.

WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!!!!

Only thing that would make me happier is the Oilers winning the cup.....!!!!!!

IBleedOil247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 02:59 AM
EvilEmpire94

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfanatic View Post
baseball is a load of crap. that is all.
I second this, and I am from NY. It should be all hockey all time as far as I am concerned. My Rangers win and all i get is a little crap article in the sports section! argh

EvilEmpire94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 03:00 AM
OilerzFRLife

the yankees are a joke. always hated them. i guess finally steinbrenners money has started to pay dividends after almost a decade without a world series title. a-rod is one of the cockiest players i have ever seen. just cant stand the man. go red sox.

OilerzFRLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 03:04 AM
jbean

Yankees are the least exciting team in baseball.

jbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 03:24 AM
Muscles Glasses

It's all good, next year is the Giants year.

Muscles Glasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 05:59 AM
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes

Cant say I care for the Yankess at all. They won with their giant payroll, good job.

TheBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 08:42 AM
rprice92

this thread needs some jay-z and the beautiful alicia keys:

rprice92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 09:14 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 250
I have long since stopped following baseball due to many factors (lack of parity, steroids). I'm surprised there isn't contraction in the league. Until team's are rewarded for their managing, scouting and development abilities, the MLB will be a joke.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 09:24 AM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
You can't be serious.
Yes. I am serious. No knuckleball. Just dead red serious, dude.

Jeter & Rivera are the best ball players I have ever seen.

Griffey Jr is also in the discussion.

Among pitchers...its fair to say Rivera can't be ranked as highly as the top starters because his IP's are far less...but if you look at how he dominates the definitive moments...no others are even close.

Same can be said for Jeter.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 09:27 AM
Jet
Stand by your man

vCash: 50
I hate the Yankees with every fibre of my being.

Yes, even more than the stupid Flames and Canucks.

Yesterday was a terrible sports day with Calgary coming back and the Yanks winning the World Series.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 09:31 AM
subnet
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 294
anti-Yankees fans sure sound like Calgary fans regarding the Oilers...

subnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 09:40 AM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

GREAT THREAD!!!!! I know there are a lot of Yankee haters out there but they're just jealous!!!! We're World Champs #27 Greatest organization in sports
I'm going to party up at the Parade tomorrow

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 09:42 AM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Congrats but this was bought, not won on merit. Until equity is brought to baseball, it will be a pretty boring exercise.
Yeah ok, blame the Yankees for the economic state of baseball. They're just making the best use of the resources that are available to them.
I do agree that the balance of spending between the big market and small market is ridiculous and that there needs to be some kind of salary cap added, i honestly get kind of sad when great players have to leave small market teams because they can't afford them (Sabathia, Santana etc. etc.) but hating on the Yankess for spending the money that's available to them is stupid imo, blame Selig and the owners for that.....

Last edited by CupofOil: 11-05-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old
11-05-2009, 09:46 AM
Alex87

It's one thing to cheer for the Yankees. I mean, we all have our favourite teams.

..But how can Oiler fans, who suffered through the economic horrors of the late 90s and early 2000s, actually defend a team's $200,000,000 payroll (which is something like $60M higher than the next closest team) saying "they're just making use of the resources available to them?"

Was that what you were telling yourself when the Leafs signed Cujo? When we had to trade Guerin? Or Weight? Oiler fans should know first hand the terrible consequences of economic disparity in sports. But I guess some folks around here are talking out of both sides of their mouth on this one... shame on the Oiler fans who would call this acceptable in another sport because their favourite team benefits from it.

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 09:57 AM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex87 View Post
It's one thing to cheer for the Yankees. I mean, we all have our favourite teams.

..But how can Oiler fans, who suffered through the economic horrors of the late 90s and early 2000s, actually defend a team's $200,000,000 payroll (which is something like $60M higher than the next closest team) saying "they're just making use of the resources available to them?"

Was that what you were telling yourself when the Leafs signed Cujo? When we had to trade Guerin? Or Weight? Oiler fans should know first hand the terrible consequences of economic disparity in sports. But I guess some folks around here are talking out of both sides of their mouth on this one... shame on the Oiler fans who would call this acceptable in another sport because their favourite team benefits from it.
I hated it when the Oilers had to trade away all of their young players and was hoping that hockey would go to a salary cup structure but i honestly didn't blame the Leafs and Rangers for spending like they did, i blamed Bettman and crew for not addressing the issues.

Old
11-05-2009, 10:03 AM
Alex87

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I hated it when the Oilers had to trade away all of their young players and was hoping that hockey would go to a salary cup structure but i honestly didn't blame the Leafs and Rangers for spending like they did, i blamed Bettman and crew for not addressing the issues.
Fair enough.

I think baseball is long over due for a hard salary cap. It's the only thing that's really preventing it from being my second favourite sport to watch.

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 10:06 AM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex87 View Post

I think that in the MLB you are either a NYY or a player trying to stop NYY from winning a Championship.

There ARE players & teams who have showed it can be done and I salute those teams because, your right, the rest of baseball is up against a juggernaut to be sure.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 10:16 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Yeah the Roid using ARod makes more than the whole Marlins Roster. I'll watch the Marlins anyday.

Enjoy that.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 10:21 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
....and every other non-Yankee fan will simply say "what took so long?"

gloating when it's expected every year doesn't really have the same effect as, say, if my Cubs ever won (or god forbid the Leafs )
Ya the Cubbies. Another team with a bloated payroll that can never even make it to the dance for the last 100 or so years. Seriously though, one has to feel a little bit sorry for Cubs fans.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 10:27 AM
cfrancis

vCash: 855
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
I can't stand the horrible piece of crap that the MLB has become.

I was soured as an Expos fan. I don't really watch MLB anymore.

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 10:28 AM
rigger

There are a few sports in this world that you can buy a championship, baseball is one of them.

I don't think its anything special to do what the Yanks did, they bought a title. Its crazy the amount they spend to do it too.

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 10:52 AM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigger View Post
There are a few sports in this world that you can buy a championship, baseball is one of them.

I don't think its anything special to do what the Yanks did, they bought a title. Its crazy the amount they spend to do it too.
and Soccer...why do you think ManU, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Inter Milan and AC Milan are constantly the favorite every year? they buy championships

I know I know, team like the Yankees buy all those players cause they can afford those players but it's like their "core" of Jeter, Posada, Pettite, Rivera got them anywhere last year so they bought a Championship worth 400+ million dollars

congratz

Old
11-05-2009, 10:55 AM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedOil247 View Post
Booooooo fricken whooooooooooo......

Half of you are probably Red Sox Fans (High Payroll....World Series....not to mention band wagon.......) and half of you are Blue Jays fans (No way did they buy those World Series teams....?!?!?!)

Yankees haven't won in 9 years. Money doesn't buy happiness, but a team with every tool in the tool box does! Way to go Yanks! Slay-Rod put him self on top this year, and Jeter put another notch on the belt.

It was a team effort. You can't say it wasn't. When Tiexiera struggles, Matsui picked up the slack, when A-Rod needed a pick me up, Swisher was there, when Chamberlain let a few slide, here comes Hughes....all day long.

WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!!!!

Only thing that would make me happier is the Oilers winning the cup.....!!!!!!
Ya, like there's no Yankee bandwagon fans ...every time they win it we get to see the "fans" who claim they've been there since the beginning...