HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hab fans boo national anthem

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2004, 12:51 PM
punchy1

vCash: 500
Hab fans boo national anthem

Can someone tell me what happened that made the hab fans boo the American national anthem? I must have missed something. Did one of the Bruins do something wrong or were there something in the arena that happened that I couldn't see? It had ot be something that the television audience couldn't see because there is simply no excuse for that shameful and classless act if it isn't due to something that happens right on the spot.

I remember reading about a comic yank singing the American anthem poorly and her getting booed but not the anthem itself. Is that what were happening here? I refuse to believe that it were simply because some of the fans don't like Bush or something political being the motivation for that sort of thing.

Anyone have any info?

Old
04-12-2004, 12:55 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Well, this will now be part two of the rude, gutless act of booing another nations national anthem (both times by the Habs might I add). Expect some USA team fans to boo the Canadian National Anthem just as they did last time.

Old
04-12-2004, 12:56 PM
Harry

They have done it in the past in Montreal. Your right. There is no excuse for that type of behavior and it is embarassing and classless.

The sad part is that in years gone by the Montreal hockey club had an excellent reputation as a class outfit. Too bad the fans now are tarnishing the great Montreal hockey tradition. They should be ashamed.

Old
04-12-2004, 12:57 PM
CaputMortuum

They even boo there own players

Old
04-12-2004, 01:03 PM
MacDaddy TLC*

I found it quite funny in a hypocritical way how loudly they cheered the Canadian national anthem. 50% of them, if we are to go by the numbers from the last referendum, want to separate from Canada. There is no pleasing these people.

Old
04-12-2004, 01:06 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by punchy1
Anyone have any info?

They're playing Boston.

That's who they're really booing, I mean this isn't the first time it's happened. I'm an American I don't see this worth crying over.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
04-12-2004, 01:08 PM
Cayouche5

I know it's classless, but it's not like the 21 000 people booed it. It's a bunch of drunk guys who hate the bruins. Do not put all the Habs fan in the same bag.

Old
04-12-2004, 01:09 PM
Rattrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
They're playing Boston.

That's who they're really booing, I mean this isn't the first time it's happened. I'm an American I don't see this worth crying over.
The team they are playing has nothing to do with it. It's freaking rude to disgrace a country like that. We know they would all be here crying if it was us booing their national anthem.

I really don't care. If they want to make themselves look like ****, that's their decision to make.

Old
04-12-2004, 01:10 PM
Rattrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayouche5
I know it's classless, but it's not like the 21 000 people booed it. It's a bunch of drunk guys who hate the bruins. Do not put all the Habs fan in the same bag.
Yea, I should probably state something along those lines. I don't hate all Hab fans, just the ones who are classless enough to do this. I didn't even get to see it, so I don't know how many were booing.

Old
04-12-2004, 01:13 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Nothing new.

There are at least some people in Canada who have class.

Old
04-12-2004, 01:24 PM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
why do they even sing the national anthems?

they dont sing the canadian national anthem in nashville but they sing the american in canada. why?

just stick to the country your in.

Old
04-12-2004, 01:25 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by luongofan
We know they would all be here crying if it was us booing their national anthem.
it's already happened before. in fact we booed the Canadian national anthem before they booed ours 2 years ago in the playoffs.

And it's not like the entire building was in an uproar. It was a few idiots. If they want to boo the national anthem, let them. There are a whole lot of people who didn't

Old
04-12-2004, 01:25 PM
onice

Let's flashback 2 years. 4 Canadian soldiers are killed by American bombs in Afghanstan. The Canadian miltary staff has the audacity to point this out to the Americans. So what happens? When the Toronto Rafters play the Detroit Pistons, the Canadian national anthem is booed.

I really hate it when people put on this holier-than-thou attitude.

Old
04-12-2004, 01:27 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
why do they even sing the national anthems?

they dont sing the canadian national anthem in nashville but they sing the american in canada. why?
If two American or Canadian teams are playing they do not sing the other national anthem, but when a US and Canadian team are playing they sing both.

Old
04-12-2004, 01:28 PM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
and yet between those two american teams 70% of the players are canadian....
oh wait are they singing it for the fans?

sing the anthem of the country your in thats all.

Old
04-12-2004, 01:29 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchy1
Can someone tell me what happened that made the hab fans boo the American national anthem? I must have missed something. Did one of the Bruins do something wrong or were there something in the arena that happened that I couldn't see? It had ot be something that the television audience couldn't see because there is simply no excuse for that shameful and classless act if it isn't due to something that happens right on the spot.

I remember reading about a comic yank singing the American anthem poorly and her getting booed but not the anthem itself. Is that what were happening here? I refuse to believe that it were simply because some of the fans don't like Bush or something political being the motivation for that sort of thing.

Anyone have any info?
I dunno... people who were there are saying it's just 100 or so drunk fans booing the Bruins? I'm aware of no particular action or event that took place on the spot. If it was just hockey-related, it was more likely just a general boo at the Bruins.

Maybe. But politics is always hot in Quebec and reverance for national symbols like anthems is not really at the same level in Canada in general and Quebec in particular as it is in some places... my honest impression at game time on TV was that the booing was more widespread than 100 or so drunk fans, and I was immediately thinking it was more politically motivated against Bush (just what leapt into my mind as the first plausible explanation). But who knows.

Not that it means anything either way. Playing anthems at the start of hockey games is a meaningless tradition that ought to be stopped, IMO. Boooooo to all anthems! Booooo! Save the anthems for the Olympics.

Old
04-12-2004, 01:37 PM
Histrion

Send a message via MSN to Histrion
A guy who was there said it was about 50 to 75 people in the Molson Export Section, which is a section where the booze is cheap and the seats too. A lot of the guys in this section are always loud and stupid. That's the way it is.

When you have a crowd as intense as Montreal's one, there will always be some jerks somewhere in the attendance who will look like fools. They aren't representative of Quebec or Canadiens fans, they only represents themselves.

As for the Canadian Anthem being appreciated in the Bell, well.. A lot of the francos there just cheer it by "principe" ( I don't know how to put it in english) even though they don't believe in it that much. The way it is down there in Québec is that many people feels that Canada is a great country... just not their's country. However, they still like and cheer for Canada, that don't make them feel like canadians anyway.

It might be a little tough to understand if you don't live it though.

Old
04-12-2004, 01:40 PM
MontrealSF
Lars Eller.

Wow, this is getting way out of proportion ! Boston = USA. Montreal hates Boston.

Stop finding stupid excuses such as Quebec wanting out of Canada (in fact, we have a Liberal government here) or hating Americans. People booed Boston dammit, that's all ! Get over with it geez. If Americans want to boo the Canadian Anthem, do it, It's just a freakin song ! It won't stop me from sleeping at night and going to University to educate myself.

And like he said, it was 50-75 in the Molson Ex Zone.

Last edited by MontrealSF: 04-12-2004 at 01:48 PM.
Old
04-12-2004, 01:53 PM
Teezax

Screw the anthems period. You have 50% Eurpeans in this league who do not have their anthems sung, so why should the US or Canada have to put it in their face. Do we really care about Politics during a hockey game? I can understand the Stanley Cup Finals, but come on, every god forsaken game? It's just a big waste of time.

Old
04-12-2004, 01:58 PM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
and yet between those two american teams 70% of the players are canadian....
oh wait are they singing it for the fans?

sing the anthem of the country your in thats all.
Why bother with either anthem? Seems like a big waste of time to me.

Old
04-12-2004, 02:06 PM
habaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
They're playing Boston.

Thank you!! Finally someone with a brain. People are too sensitive nowadays. Hab fans have done this for ages, they're not disrespecting the US anthem, they're just booing whatever represents the other team, in this case the US national anthem represented the bruins, so they booed. I was watching the anthem and once it was done everybody clapped and politely cheered.

Besides, they were singing along to the canadian anthem, which is really unheard of, well for the majority that is. So it basically boils down to what song represented who.

This is not a US vs. Canada thing so take it easy people, nor is it us montrealers disrespecting all your sons in Irak, which is something i read this morning....quite pathetic a statement if you ask me. Talk about taking things out of context . People have to learn to chill a little, this is not politics, it's hockey!!!

Old
04-12-2004, 02:09 PM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice
Let's flashback 2 years. 4 Canadian soldiers are killed by American bombs in Afghanstan. The Canadian miltary staff has the audacity to point this out to the Americans. So what happens? When the Toronto Rafters play the Detroit Pistons, the Canadian national anthem is booed.

I really hate it when people put on this holier-than-thou attitude.
you missed a point in your timeline.

the day before Toronto Played Detroit, Montreal played a US team in Hockey at Montreal, and booed the US national Anthem. It was picked up all over the US on sports center. and the first team to play a canadian team was the Pistons. So Detroit Booed.

All of a sudden, Canadian fans started saying what you said "They booed in Detroit, so lets boo them" Ignoring that it started, at least for that incident, in Montreal.

that said, i dont care about the booing anymore. the only peole who still do it are the drunk fans in Montreal, it isnt booed anywhere else anymore.

Old
04-12-2004, 02:18 PM
DarioinDenver

Nothing to draw conclusions from in my opinion. Unless Montreal was doing this at a bunch of games during the regular season then I'd attribute it to a heated playoff game and some proud, if not less than sober Canadian minority getting riled up for the game. I think if the fans did it on a regular basis then some players would say something. I know Sakic said something about it when it happened in Vancouver and things calmed down after that. I wouldn't paint all Montreal fans with the same brush on this one.

Old
04-12-2004, 02:27 PM
Habs4Cup

Location: Montreal, the only city where Stanley Cups come in cases of 24
In no way do I think it's OK to boo the anthem and was ashamed yesterday when I heard it on TV. However, here's my opinion on the whole situation.

Because of the political situation of Québec for the past 30 years, Quebec citizens have never put a lot of emphasis on the anthem. For them, the anthem is a song that must be played before hockey and baseball games. My interpretation is that the boos were not an anti-USA gesture, it was simply a way to get into the game.

I must say, that as a quebecois, it hurts me to read all that is said in these posts when very few posters know the political nature of the province. I do not believe that the crowd ot the Bell is classless and that Montreal is a city on bums.

That being said, Francophone fans at the Bell Center have to realize that the anthem means a lot for english canadians and americans and that respect is important.

Old
04-12-2004, 02:28 PM
punchy1

Help me out here again if you don't mind lads, Not being from or living in NA some of this stuff just goes right by me.

habaholic.

You said "Thank you!! Finally someone with a brain. People are too sensitive nowadays. Hab fans have done this for ages, they're not disrespecting the US anthem, they're just booing whatever represents the other team, in this case the US national anthem represented the bruins, so they booed".

So if I understand your point you are saying that since Habfans have been booing the national anthems for ages that it is alright that they do?

Or maybe you are saying that they are booing the actual players on the team they are facing, if that is the case then why not boo the Canadien Anthem as well? I mean, most of the players on every team or from Canada so if it is simply to say "we don't like you players" and you want to make that statement by booing the national anthem then don't you think it is a silly thing to do?

Don't they call the starting line ups for both teams prior to the start of the game?

Doesn't that provide enough of a chance to boo the opposition?

I can't follow your logic mate, sorry about that. Maybe I am missing something.

I also am one of the people though who reckon that it is nonsense to play the anthems anyway. Of course, if you wanted to play your home teams anthem, that is one thing, to play both is just daft.

I would think that if it is just a few unrulys then the rest of the fans should be booing them afterwards but who knows.

It sounded like more on the tele but that can be deceiving.

I have read enough other opinions though to have had my first question answered and cheers to you lot for that. I truly thought that I might have missed something that had happened. I cheered the Habs all game long and thought it were a good game by both sides. I hope that the Yanks don't follow suite and prove themselves as totally classless and foolish as them few drunken fools in Mont did by doing the same but I bet they do.

Closed Thread