HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hab fans boo national anthem

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2004, 04:43 PM
chicpea*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by punchy1
Can someone tell me what happened that made the hab fans boo the American national anthem?
It all started with a little phrase called "manifest destiny"....

Last edited by chicpea: 04-12-2004 at 05:20 PM.
Old
04-12-2004, 05:04 PM
Histrion

Send a message via MSN to Histrion
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsFan
You are right, it was off topic.
I didn't mean to start a debate about politics in Quebec, as I honestly don't give much attention to that.
When you don't know much about something, don't use it as an argument, that's what I meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagsIsDaMan
True Quebecors (not everyone) have generally never really liked American culture, politics etc...
So what is a "True Quebecor"? I am a Québecois, a "pure laine", and I really fail to see your point. I have nothing against American culture, I take what I like from their culture just like I take some from France, Italy or elsewhere. As far as their politics are concerned, I don't see how Québecois would disagree with them more than Anglo-Canadians, French, German, etc...

Old
04-12-2004, 05:06 PM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesome`
When you don't know much about something, don't use it as an argument, that's what I meant.

So what is a "True Quebecor"? I am a Québecois, a "pure laine", and I really fail to see your point. I have nothing against American culture, I take what I like from their culture just like I take some from France, Italy or elsewhere. As far as their politics are concerned, I don't see how Québecois would disagree with them more than Anglo-Canadians, French, German, etc...
Sorry my punctuatuion and grammer aren't the greatest. I meant True as in I agree with him...Not True Quebecors ( and I am not lumping you all in one basket either).

Old
04-12-2004, 05:07 PM
J-D

I usually am of the "Don't change the freaking game, and if there wouldn't have changed it in the first place, there would be no need to change things now" breed, but I really feel they could do away with the anthems, for so many reasons.

However, they have to find other ways to instill respect among players, without reminding them where they live and for which country they are pleasing the plebs. They could make salute to their coach: "Ave Granato, morituri te salutant"...

Old
04-12-2004, 05:07 PM
Rotting Corpse*

Send a message via AIM to Rotting Corpse* Send a message via MSN to Rotting Corpse*
Quote:
Originally Posted by luongofan
Well, this will now be part two of the rude, gutless act of booing another nations national anthem (both times by the Habs might I add). Expect some USA team fans to boo the Canadian National Anthem just as they did last time.
USA team fans have booed the Canada anthem before. Canadians have booed the USA anthem before.

It's really not worth crying over IMO, it's just a bunch of drunk guys booing a song.

Also, nice to see the word "class" used about 38701308 more times in this thread. ugh.

Last edited by Rotting Corpse*: 04-12-2004 at 05:11 PM.
Old
04-12-2004, 05:50 PM
NJDevs430

Punchy: to your second point in your original post:
Quote:
I remember reading about a comic yank singing the American anthem poorly and her getting booed but not the anthem itself. Is that what were happening here?
I believe what you are referring to here is the Rosanne Barr incident in which she croaked out the national anthem in her normal, loud, annoying, nasally voice before a baseball game on national television.
Her 'singing' was bad enough, but what really got the crowd to booing was that after she finished butchering The Star Spangled Banner, she thought it would be funny to imitate some baseball players by grabbing her crotch and spitting (though they don't do that during the singing of the anthem). Most people opined that this was being disrespectful to the anthem and the United States, and that is why they booed.

When a national anthem is played, most people will take the opportunity for silent reflection and treat the song with reverence and respect as it symbolizes the nation it was written for. I know it would piss me off to no end to hear 'O Canada' being booed at the CAA, or anywhere else in the US or abroad, not because I love the song so much, but because I feel it is disrespectful towards Canadians. I feel the same way about 'The Star Spangled Banner', the Iraqi anthem or any other national anthem.
As for not playing either national anthem before a game, I disagree. While the anthems unfortunately give some 'fans' an opportunity to shame themselves in the internatioal media, it would just be too bad to let the vocal few spoil the appreciation that others have for the songs.
<)-:{
I certainly don't think that the playing of the anthems is any sort of political stunt...and yes, the anthems are played for the fans. In fact, I think it would be a wonderful idea to play both national anthems before every game (though some might disagree).

Old
04-12-2004, 06:11 PM
punchy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs430
Punchy: to your second point in your original post:

I believe what you are referring to here is the Rosanne Barr incident in which she croaked out the national anthem in her normal, loud, annoying, nasally voice before a baseball game on national television.
Her 'singing' was bad enough, but what really got the crowd to booing was that after she finished butchering The Star Spangled Banner, she thought it would be funny to imitate some baseball players by grabbing her crotch and spitting (though they don't do that during the singing of the anthem). Most people opined that this was being disrespectful to the anthem and the United States, and that is why they booed.

When a national anthem is played, most people will take the opportunity for silent reflection and treat the song with reverence and respect as it symbolizes the nation it was written for. I know it would piss me off to no end to hear 'O Canada' being booed at the CAA, or anywhere else in the US or abroad, not because I love the song so much, but because I feel it is disrespectful towards Canadians. I feel the same way about 'The Star Spangled Banner', the Iraqi anthem or any other national anthem.
As for not playing either national anthem before a game, I disagree. While the anthems unfortunately give some 'fans' an opportunity to shame themselves in the internatioal media, it would just be too bad to let the vocal few spoil the appreciation that others have for the songs.
<)-:{
I certainly don't think that the playing of the anthems is any sort of political stunt...and yes, the anthems are played for the fans. In fact, I think it would be a wonderful idea to play both national anthems before every game (though some might disagree).

that was her name. Rosanne Barr. Cheers mate.

I don't know. To me it is just one of them things that don't make sense. Playing a national anthem for two teams who are about to play that are chock full of players from many, many different countries seems kind of silly. If it is for the fans then I would have to reckon that there are likely very many other more appropriate places to display your feelings of patriotism.

It would be different to me if the players on the team were actually from the countries of the teams they represented. They aren't so it doesn't. To me that is.

As to the "manifest destiny" comment I see. Then it is alright to make right propper jackass of yourself because better than 100 years ago some politician made some decision that in retrospect YOU don't agree with? Honestly mate, that is a daft bit of tart if you ask me.

Old
04-12-2004, 06:19 PM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
Why bother with either anthem? Seems like a big waste of time to me.

im with you on that one. i was just saying if they need to sing the anthem just sing the one not both.

Old
04-12-2004, 06:25 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ryan
Also, nice to see the word "class" used about 38701308 more times in this thread. ugh.
Mother of crap, "class" is being overused as much as "surreal", "dynasty" and "the".

Old
04-12-2004, 06:48 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
The line ups are called and the Canadien anthem is played and we all sing along and talk about how pretty it is. The American anthem comes up and we all start singing and then everyone sort of stops as we listen to the loud booing that is going on.
Cute story. Except the Canadian anthem is played after the American anthem. You and your mates probably experienced some weird space-time continuum distortion.

It's nice to have a great imagination!

Old
04-12-2004, 07:07 PM
FTK

National Anthems have no place in the NHL. Only in the olympics, or world cup.

Old
04-12-2004, 07:10 PM
monkey_00*

Quote:
Can someone tell me what happened that made the hab fans boo the American national anthem? I must have missed something. Did one of the Bruins do something wrong or were there something in the arena that happened that I couldn't see? It had ot be something that the television audience couldn't see because there is simply no excuse for that shameful and classless act if it isn't due to something that happens right on the spot.

I remember reading about a comic yank singing the American anthem poorly and her getting booed but not the anthem itself. Is that what were happening here? I refuse to believe that it were simply because some of the fans don't like Bush or something political being the motivation for that sort of thing.

Anyone have any info?
punchy1......

On one hand the Quebecers Booo the American National anthem but then on the other when it's winter in Quebec they Fly South and walk the beaches of Florida exposing their BIG FAT CANADIAN BEER BELLIES.

Cheers!~

monkey_00

Old
04-12-2004, 07:14 PM
Zednik

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_00
punchy1......

On one hand the Quebecers Booo the American National anthem but then on the other when it's winter in Quebec they Fly South and walk the beaches of Florida exposing their BIG FAT CANADIAN BEER BELLIES.

Cheers!~

monkey_00

and they wounder why we want to separate from them...

Old
04-12-2004, 07:14 PM
Cloudigger

[QUOTE=King Ryan]USA team fans have booed the Canada anthem before. Canadians have booed the USA anthem before.

It's really not worth crying over IMO, it's just a bunch of drunk guys booing a song.

Also, nice to see the word "class" used about 38701308 more times in this thread. ugh.[/QUOTE]

Old
04-12-2004, 07:20 PM
MontrealSF
Lars Eller.

Quote:
punchy1......

Cheers!~

monkey_00
What's your point ? People who fly in Florida to walk the beaches are old people enjoying the rest of their life, not 20-30's who pay to be in the Molson Ex Zone for a Habs game. Your are another ignorant Ontarian it seems. It shows in the non quality of your post.

"Cheers"

Old
04-12-2004, 07:27 PM
Moumni_Bachir

Send a message via ICQ to Moumni_Bachir
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesome`
A guy who was there said it was about 50 to 75 people in the Molson Export Section, which is a section where the booze is cheap and the seats too. A lot of the guys in this section are always loud and stupid. That's the way it is.

When you have a crowd as intense as Montreal's one, there will always be some jerks somewhere in the attendance who will look like fools. They aren't representative of Quebec or Canadiens fans, they only represents themselves.

As for the Canadian Anthem being appreciated in the Bell, well.. A lot of the francos there just cheer it by "principe" ( I don't know how to put it in english) even though they don't believe in it that much. The way it is down there in Québec is that many people feels that Canada is a great country... just not their's country. However, they still like and cheer for Canada, that don't make them feel like canadians anyway.

It might be a little tough to understand if you don't live it though.
Yeah, those guys probably live in Hochelaga and are drunk at noon.

Old
04-12-2004, 07:30 PM
Moumni_Bachir

Send a message via ICQ to Moumni_Bachir
Quote:
punchy1......

Cheers!~

monkey_00
I invite you to visit that site. http://thispageintentionallyleftblan...he_****_up.jpg

And for the mods, I didn't insult him at all.

Damn, the URL has a banned word, please change it right.

Last edited by Moumni_Bachir: 04-12-2004 at 07:34 PM.
Old
04-12-2004, 07:47 PM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
punchy1......

Cheers!~

monkey_00
Funny...I heard the USA has a problem with obesity.

Old
04-12-2004, 09:00 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
it's already happened before. in fact we booed the Canadian national anthem before they booed ours 2 years ago in the playoffs.

And it's not like the entire building was in an uproar. It was a few idiots. If they want to boo the national anthem, let them. There are a whole lot of people who didn't
Thank you.

People acting like little offended virgins trying to make it look like it never happened before and therefore could only happen there make me sick. It happened in Vancouver. It happened in NY. Go out people and look around, nothing new, don't make it sound like Habs fans invented the trend. Geez there's some real hypocrits in here.

Old
04-12-2004, 09:27 PM
Gnashville
Playoff losers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
why do they even sing the national anthems?

they dont sing the canadian national anthem in nashville but they sing the american in canada. why?

just stick to the country your in.
Yes we do sing the Canadian Anthem in Nashville when we play Canadian teams (even in French one year when we played the Habs) when Canadian teams play each other and don't play the US anthem. Before you start to think we are all hicks in Tennessee most people actually know the words to "Oh Canada" which I think is a beautiful anthem.

Last edited by Gnashville: 04-12-2004 at 09:35 PM.
Old
04-12-2004, 09:35 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
punchy1......

Cheers!~

monkey_00
actualy americans are the most obese people in the world not canadians, so you must have mistaken them.

Old
04-12-2004, 09:47 PM
NJDevs430

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagsIsDaMan
Funny...I heard the USA has a problem with obesity.
No problem...we're comfortable with who we are.
<(-:{

Old
04-12-2004, 09:54 PM
HFXMooseHabs

There are morons in Montreal that just like to boo. They booed Brisbois forever, they booed Koivu, they booed Rivet. These fans DO NOT represent all Hab fans. Most of us think they're drunk idiots and wish they'd stay the hell home.

Old
04-12-2004, 10:22 PM
SuperUnknown

America is (supposed to be) the land of the free. If some people want to boo the American (or the Canadian) anthem for whatever reason, so be it. It's a hockey game, not a national day party.

Everyone crying about it needs to grow some thicker skin. A democracy only exists as long as everyone can freely express themselves, whether the general public agrees with them or not.

You might not like it (or you may like it), but generalizing and putting a tag on Montreal fans over such an event is just pathetic imo. I've seen just so many stupid things in this thread from all sides.

As a last note, I found particularly laughable the post of one person that claimed the people that booed the US anthem are just trash people and certainly not holier-than-thou Westmount residents (perfect citizens with perfect genes :lol )... C'mon, how sad can you get?

Old
04-12-2004, 10:38 PM
MacDaddy TLC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
Cute story. Except the Canadian anthem is played after the American anthem. You and your mates probably experienced some weird space-time continuum distortion.

It's nice to have a great imagination!
hey Vlad,

Remember the Simpsons episode about how in the southern hemisphere the water drains counter clock-wise in the northern hemispere and clockwise in the southern> Same principle applies here.

Closed Thread