HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Forsberg signs with MoDo and Naslund comes of retirement to join him(no base salary)

Old
11-11-2009, 08:26 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
I'm not sure how this would have any ill effects upon the team. He'd be signed to a one year deal. If he gets injured he goes on LTIR. If he doesn't perform up to par he's not going to embarrass himself in the NHL, as he's stated, and would likely go back to Europe or retire. Either of those scenarios would result in no cap hit.

Of course there's also the best possible scenario, where he becomes a productive member of the team. Frankly it's a no brainer to me, give it a shot, there's nothing to lose.
We simply cant afford him. I've seen multiple people saying 'Yea, give him a million,' which is completely ridiculous. Theres no way in hell Forsberg is going to play for a million dollars, and as a result, theres virtually no way we can fit him under the cap.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 09:03 AM
BKBlackRanger
My Glove******Instagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
We simply cant afford him. I've seen multiple people saying 'Yea, give him a million,' which is completely ridiculous. Theres no way in hell Forsberg is going to play for a million dollars, and as a result, theres virtually no way we can fit him under the cap.
pro-rated contracts

BKBlackRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 09:06 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKBlackRanger View Post
pro-rated contracts
That math still doesnt work out, even if we drop Voros, cause the space cleared is pro-rated as well.

I mean, how much do you think Forsberg is going to play for? I'd say 3 million is the bare-minumum, probably closer to 4 million. When you pro-rate that in accordance to the cap space we have left, maybe we'll be able to sign him in February and he could play 25 games for us.

Old
11-11-2009, 09:51 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKBlackRanger View Post
the only question is will he be an upgrade?
*Looks at Captain Ca$h and Dubinsky*... Is this a trick question?

Anyhow, I've made myself clear before, Forsberg playing for NYR will never be a reality.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 09:53 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
*Looks at Captain Ca$h and Dubinsky*... Is this a trick question?

Anyhow, I've made myself clear before, Forsberg playing for NYR will never be a reality.
Forsberg is now 36, with a laundry list of injury problems throughout his career. He was recently held pointless in that Euro tournament and was largely a non-factor.

...be careful what you wish for.

Old
11-11-2009, 10:05 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Forsberg is now 36, with a laundry list of injury problems throughout his career. He was recently held pointless in that Euro tournament and was largely a non-factor.

...be careful what you wish for.
So you're basing his comeback on these 3 games, where he played on the 3rd line with players he's never played with before, where his goal scoring linemate was brutal at putting the puck in the net. That's usually not good news for a playmaker. What about the games for Modo recently where he dominated?

The thing is, he still looked good on the ice. Sure, he was rusty, but veterans usually are before they get warm in their clothes. If he would be an upgrade over Drury or not is a laughable question. I don't see any aspect or area whatsoever where Drury is better or at least equal to Forsberg, except for durability. Yes, even when Forsberg is 36 and has rarely played in the last few years, he outplays a player like Drury at 32.

As for Dubinsky... sure, he shows flashes of great hockey skills, but that's only about every 8th game or so. He can go stretches for months where he's literally invisible, which is his biggest problem. That seems like a quality all of our centers possess. That's the difference between a player like Forsberg and Drury/ Dubinsky. He makes his teammates better and gives them space. And Forsberg's worst performance level is a level only Drury/ Dubinsky can dream of.

Sure, Forsberg might re-injure his foot. Again. There are no guarantees. But it's not like we're set to go with how the team currently looks anyway. We're not going anywhere with Dubinsky and Drury as our #1/#2 centers, they're both one step above what they can manage.

As a dream: Forsberg as our #2 center (he would sadly really be our best center) and hide Drury at a wing somewhere would make our team better, but it's not like we would be a contender anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Last edited by Chimp: 11-11-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
That just further proves our point, anything can happen but out of all the NHL teams on that list that "upset" a team ZERO won the cup... So yay for them.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 11:55 AM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Well that comes down to the point I made about a shallow analysis. Those aren't really THAT big upsets or THAT significant. For instance, the Rangers could streak into the playoffs as the scorching hot 8 seed. Gaborik could be on a 10 game goal scoring streak. Lundqvist could be red hot. Drury and Callahan and Higgins and Dubinsky and Avery and Kotalik suddenly all be playing like 20 goal scorers and eliminate the injury riddled #1 Penguins in the first round that are playing without Malkin. It would be a big upset and exciting and all that. But it won't change the reality of the situation which is the big picture. And that is that Washington, Detroit, San Jose, etc. are all still in the playoffs and that the Rangers are not a very good team. They are missing major components to being that very good team. And to bring it all back on topic... Forsberg isn't one of those components.

But he is a new toy. And Rangers fans love new toys... for a few weeks.

Last edited by nyr2k2: 11-11-2009 at 12:00 PM.
HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
Well that comes down to the point I made about a shallow analysis. Those aren't really THAT big upsets or THAT significant. For instance, the Rangers could streak into the playoffs as the scorching hot 8 seed. Gaborik could be on a 10 game goal scoring streak. Lundqvist could be red hot. Drury and Callahan and Higgins and Dubinsky and Avery and Kotalik suddenly all be playing like 20 goal scorers and eliminate the injury riddled #1 Penguins in the first round that are playing without Malkin. It would be a big upset and exciting and all that. But it won't change the reality of the situation which is the big picture. And that is that Washington, Detroit, San Jose, etc. are all still in the playoffs and that the Rangers are not a very good team. They are missing major components to being that very good team. And to bring it all back on topic... Forsberg isn't one of those components.

Depends on how he plays, I think they do need another elite top 6 forward, also a bruising veteran Defenseman. I don't know if Forsberg can deliver the elite level of play anymore however.

Old
11-11-2009, 12:29 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failure By Design View Post
Depends on how he plays, I think they do need another elite top 6 forward, also a bruising veteran Defenseman. I don't know if Forsberg can deliver the elite level of play anymore however.
The Forsberg that played for Nashville was not "elite" level. He was pretty good. In his last stint with Colorado, I only saw him in the post season. He was far from "elite". He was ok. He has played a total of 9 regular season games in the last 2+ seasons. He's 36 with an incurable foot problem. What would you say is the chance that he is the second elite player the Rangers need for the next couple seasons while the team gels, grows together and builds a legit contender?

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Quote:
The Forsberg that played for Nashville was not "elite" level. He was pretty good. In his last stint with Colorado, I only saw him in the post season. He was far from "elite". He was ok. He has played a total of 9 regular season games in the last 2+ seasons. He's 36 with an incurable foot problem. What would you say is the chance that he is the second elite player the Rangers need for the next couple seasons while the team gels, grows together and builds a legit contender?
I first stated that I thought another elite or close to it top 6 guy is needed. I then stated that I was unsure of Forsberg's ability to perform at that level.

I don't think I ever deemed him as "the solution".

Old
11-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
That math still doesnt work out, even if we drop Voros, cause the space cleared is pro-rated as well.

I mean, how much do you think Forsberg is going to play for? I'd say 3 million is the bare-minumum, probably closer to 4 million. When you pro-rate that in accordance to the cap space we have left, maybe we'll be able to sign him in February and he could play 25 games for us.
we could drop voros now which would help save cap room for future pro-rated contracts. Also, signing him to play the last 20 or so games for us plus the playoffs is the ideal situation. It keeps him fresh and healthy for the playoffs which is when we will need him. I don't think we miss the playoffs this year with or without him.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 02:42 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Sources tell TSN that Forsberg was sufficiently encouraged by how his troublesome foot responded to game action last week, and that he intends to continue skating and working out with an eye towards playing again in the NHL.

But he apparently still has reservations that he's ready to play now so he has indicated to his Winnipeg-based agent Don Baizley to not engage in any contract talks with NHL clubs at this time.

Only when Forsberg is convinced he's ready to play in the NHL will the sweepstakes truly begin.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=297961

Shocking development

Time to give up the dream.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 03:57 PM
D713B

Quote:
That just further proves our point, anything can happen but out of all the NHL teams on that list that "upset" a team ZERO won the cup... So yay for them.
Quote:
No, most Ranger fans enjoy watching their team play during the post season. The idea that if you're not a front runner for the Cup then you shouldn't bother is a defeatist mentality. I suppose you'd rather them cut the playoffs down to the top four teams in each conference so you can work on your handicap during April? Maybe you're better suited to rooting for the Islanders, they have no real aspirations for the time being.

Quote:
You'll eventually only need roughly a million in full season cap space to sign him to a pro-rated contract. All Colorado needed last year was $1.1 million. It's within the realm of possibilities, even more so if you waive a guy like Voros.

Last edited by D713B: 11-11-2009 at 04:10 PM.
D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Shake and Bake

I dont think Forsberg wants to come here. If Drury is put on LTIR, throw a ******** of money at him. Why not...

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 04:25 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
In his last stint with Colorado, I only saw him in the post season. He was far from "elite".
Uhhh, no. I was at 5 of the 6 games of the Wild series and he was probably the best player on the ice.

I'm not 100% on Forsberg but if he could do here what he did there, it would be a jackpot signing.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 04:32 PM
The Lunatic Fridge

Send a message via AIM to The Lunatic Fridge Send a message via MSN to The Lunatic Fridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=297961

Shocking development

Time to give up the dream.
Am i missing something? It said sufficiently encouraged.Last time i checked thats a GOOD thing right? Forsberg said he dosen't want to comeback and embaress himself unless he is SURE 100% that his foot can stop getting in the way.Sounds like a reasonable decision.

The Lunatic Fridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 05:57 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake and Bake View Post
I dont think Forsberg wants to come here. If Drury is put on LTIR, throw a ******** of money at him. Why not...
Yea, you're gonna need a new punching bag.

Old
11-11-2009, 06:30 PM
haohmaru
boomshakalaka

Forsberg is even more brittle at this point than Gaborik is. And some of you want to throw money in his direction? I think I'd watch the hair fall of my head and onto the floor every time he'd take the ice. In his last 8 NHL seasons he played 70+ games TWICE. No thanks.

haohmaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Forsberg is even more brittle at this point than Gaborik is. And some of you want to throw money in his direction? I think I'd watch the hair fall of my head and onto the floor every time he'd take the ice. In his last 8 NHL seasons he played 70+ games TWICE. No thanks.

It's obviously going to be a one-year deal. It wouldn't hurt us long-term and even if he gets hurt, we're no worse off then we are. I mean, even if he only lasts a month, that'll bridge to when we get more healthy.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 09:24 PM
NYR510

If only they were still showing this commercial

Last edited by NYR510: 11-11-2009 at 09:32 PM.
NYR510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 10:02 PM
rangerjoe

haha, Bobby Granger...love it.

rangerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 10:11 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Granger commercials were great....certain people hated them for some reason, but now what do we have...do they even advertise hockey on MSG?

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 09:00 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Sources tell TSN that Forsberg was sufficiently encouraged by how his troublesome foot responded to game action last week, and that he intends to continue skating and working out with an eye towards playing again in the NHL.

But he apparently still has reservations that he's ready to play now so he has indicated to his Winnipeg-based agent Don Baizley to not engage in any contract talks with NHL clubs at this time.

Only when Forsberg is convinced he's ready to play in the NHL will the sweepstakes truly begin.
This will turn into a little drama to be played out over many months...will he ...wont he...

Its probably in his best interest to just wait till after the Olympics and see what team really is the best fit.... that's what I would do

11-12-2009, 09:01 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR510 View Post
If only they were still showing this commercial

Sad Bobby never recovered from the shot Shanny gave him in the nads.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote