HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Two trade ideas from the oilers(NYI and STL)

Old
11-06-2009, 09:11 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Two trade ideas from the oilers(NYI and STL)

Trade one

NYI trade witt and 3rd rounder to the oilers for Tom Gilbert

second trade

STL Roman Polak for Denis Grebeshkov

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 09:24 PM
Seachd

vCash: 500
First one... meh.

Second one... Why would the Oilers ever do this?

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Joey Moss

vCash: 226
Fail.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 09:33 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

I like the way Polak plays and he is also not afraid to toss his body around

Old
11-06-2009, 09:46 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Isles take that deal in a heartbeat.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 09:49 PM
Hulk Hogan*

Oilers get bent over in both deals

Hulk Hogan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 09:51 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agi View Post
Oilers get bent over in both deals
Oilers need atleast one stay at home d-man and with Lubor and Souray--when they come back making a combined 10million--Grebs and Gilbert are on the outside looking in.

Both deals would be tough for some oiler fans to swallow

But it would buy them time until Peckham and Chorney are actually ready for the show

Old
11-06-2009, 10:00 PM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

After outstanding years, they are both having terrible seasons right now. No trade when their value is lowest, no TRADE!

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 10:16 PM
BlueBeard

vCash: 50
While I don't think Polak is untouchable in a trade and I would hate to lose him, I just can't see the Blues taking another d-man back in a trade. Jackman(ankle sprain) and Cola(Flu) should be available soon so that puts the Blues at 8 d-men.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 11:04 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

I would be all over the first one.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 11:17 PM
mstad101

both seem like horrible deals for the Oilers.
So im down.
anything making an Alberta team worse is gonna make me smile n happy.

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Boondock

I know I'll get raked across the coals for this by Edm. fans, but I'm not a big Gilbert fan, I don't think he does anything extremely well (I know he had lots of points last year with out first line PP time...yada yada) so I think he's expendable. I'm pretty sure Gilbert could get you more then Witt and a third.

But I like this Grebeshkov kid. He's worth keeping, and definitely worth more then a career bottom pairing dman in Polak

Boondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 04:18 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstad101 View Post
both seem like horrible deals for the Oilers.
So im down.
anything making an Alberta team worse is gonna make me smile n happy.

Witt and Polak both bring just what the oilers are missing on the blue line. Oilers have a boig problem on the blue line when it comes to shut down d-man

Old
11-07-2009, 06:22 PM
BlueBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
I know I'll get raked across the coals for this by Edm. fans, but I'm not a big Gilbert fan, I don't think he does anything extremely well (I know he had lots of points last year with out first line PP time...yada yada) so I think he's expendable. I'm pretty sure Gilbert could get you more then Witt and a third.

But I like this Grebeshkov kid. He's worth keeping, and definitely worth more then a career bottom pairing dman in Polak
You may want to watch Polak play before you start painting players with a broad brush like that. He's the #2 shut down d-man behind Jackman on the Blues in his second full year in the league and played the first pairing all of last year. He's a big, strong, fast, positionally sound, and hard hitter. He's still a plus player despite playing as a stopper pairing with Jackman(Weaver currently due to Jackman's injury) and the Blues offense being absolutely anemic this year.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Witt and a 3rd for Gilbert???? Witt and Staios' play this year is almost identicle. The only thing notable they do is cough up the puck. No freakin thank you

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 10:15 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Quote:

Oh...wow.
Did you watch the Blues last season? Polak and Jackman were our top pair.
Polak is a top 4 D but we are so stacked on D now that he's got to play on the bottom pairing. You have 0 ability on judging players.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 11:26 PM
Boondock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshniak View Post
Oh...wow.
Did you watch the Blues last season? Polak and Jackman were our top pair.
Polak is a top 4 D but we are so stacked on D now that he's got to play on the bottom pairing. You have 0 ability on judging players.
to answer your first question - yes I did watch him play last yr - and lets see I have 0 ability to judge players because I stated that I think Polak will be a career bottom pairing dman, yet according to you, right now he is bottom pairing dman...odd

to turn the tables a little bit, have you ever seen Grebeshkov play? - do you think Polak is a comparable talent? If so, you have 0 ability to....ah never mind

Boondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 11:43 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Quote:
to answer your first question - yes I did watch him play last yr - and lets see I have 0 ability to judge players because I stated that I think Polak will be a career bottom pairing dman, yet according to you, right now he is bottom pairing dman...odd

to turn the tables a little bit, have you ever seen Grebeshkov play? - do you think Polak is a comparable talent? If so, you have 0 ability to....ah never mind
Polak >>>> Grebeshkov DEFENSIVELY
Grebeshkov >>>>> Polak OFFENSIVELY

If you READ my post you'll see Polak is a top 4 D but we are so stacked on D now that he's got to play on the bottom pairing.

Polak is far and away better defensively, not saying Grebeshkov can't play defensively. I'd rather have Grebeshkov over Polak.

But to say Polak is going to be a career bottom pairing defensemen is just purely idiotic and stupid.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 07:32 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Both of these deals would pay off for Edmonton BIG TIME! We'd be crazy not to accept both of them. We complain that we don't have enough defenders who lack the smack down all the time... well we have a few, but they're not good enough to give out big minutes to (Stiaos, Peckam and Strudwick.)

Imagine this:

Lubo - Smid
Souray - Witt
Chorney - Polak

Witt makes 3 mill for this year and the season after. (1 mill cheaper than Gilbert)
Polak makes 1.1 mill this season and next and then he's RFA. We just saved another 3.05 million!

With both of these deals Edmonton has seriously beefed up physically on the rear without compromising quality.

Souray, Smid, Polak and Witt will all play a physical game, which will make things much easier for Lubo, Chorney and Boo-Lin-Wall in the rear. We would always have someone tough enough on the ice to keep opposing players accountable for whatever they do to our smaller forwards.

I love Brendan Witt. He brings tons of character and sacrifice to a team. I started liking him when he was playing for the Capitals.

Polak is built like a brick. He's got some serious weight for his size. Not an easy man to push around.(TSN has him at 6"0 232 pounds!) HF Notes that he's got good balance, love to push guys and has a decent slap shot. He's on pace for 183 hits, has a plus rating and he's on pace for 23 points. The stats aren't saying anything bad about him so far.

These deals give Edmonton much needed cap space. Forwards who pump out tons of points without embarrassing themselves defensively are too expensive. Gilbert got that 4M and deserves every penny of it, but we need a Bredan Witt kind of guy more to play next to Souray.

Lubo and Smid seem like a great combo...

Chorney has played well beyond my expectations defensively on a lot of nights... and he's more of an offensive guy. So pairing him on the bottom with Polak just makes sense.

Imagine the PK. We miss Green and Stoll on the PK, but with Brule, a healthy Pisani and Witt in the fold, we wouldn't miss them anymore. Not at all.

So we've got 4M more in cap space to spend in the off-season.
Pisani 2.5M
In the likely event that we waive Staios we save 1.35 of 2.7for a season.
In the likely event that we waive Nilson we save 1M of 2M for a season
In the possible event that we waive Moreau we save 1M of 2M for a season.
In the likely event that we don't resign Pouliot we save 0.8M

4+2.5+1.35+1+1+0.8= 10.15 million in more cap space.

How much will it cost to resign Gagner, Cogliano, Comrie(UFA), Brule, JFJ, Stone and JDD?

Gagner - 3M for 4 years
Cogliano - 2.M for 3-4 years is he turns things around and has a 20 goal season. 1M if he doesn't. His cap hit is 1.1M, but his actual salary is only 850K. He got a signing bonus which changed the cap hit which won't effect his qualifying offer.
Comrie - 2M for 1-2 seasons if he keeping playing well.
Brule - (Making 0.8M)1.5M for 3-4 seasons if he keeps playing well.
JFJ - 750K for 3 seasons. (Making 550k)
Stone - (making 600K) 750K for 1-2 seasons.
JDD - (Making 700K) 1.3M for 3 seasons.

So I've just eaten up how much cap space?
1.75M more for Gagner
0.87M more for Cogliano
1M more for Comrie
0.7M for Brule
0.2M for JFJ
0.15M for Stone
0.6M for JDD
... That's assuming we want to resign all these guys. Because if we did it this way we'd still have 4.88M in cap space!

Now let's say we don't resign Comrie. that would mean we'd have 6.88M in cap space! Who could we go for?

Oli Jokinen - 5.5M this year. Will likely fall to the 3-4M range. His skills are better suited to our game and we need a guy who's more of a goal scorer to play next to Hemsky. We could still sign a decent 3rd line player at these prices.

Jagr is rumored to be interested in playing with Edmonton and I believe he's in the last year of his contract... 6M for 2 years? Put Brule on the 2nd line with Penner and MPS and O'Sullivan on a 3rd line with Cogliano and Eberle. Then put Horcoff on a 4th line with 2 of Stortini, JFJ, Stone and Bic Mac. Doesn't look bad that way either.

There'd be options. Way more options than the ones we've got going on right now.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 11:00 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

The Islanders not only take that deal and run, they laugh harder than they've laughed in 2 generations.

There is no way in hell your GM is that dumb to give us Gilbert for Witt, even with the 3rd added in. I refuse to believe ANY GM is that dumb.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 11:11 AM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Both of these deals would pay off for Edmonton BIG TIME! We'd be crazy not to accept both of them. We complain that we don't have enough defenders who lack the smack down all the time... well we have a few, but they're not good enough to give out big minutes to (Stiaos, Peckam and Strudwick.)

Imagine this:

Lubo - Smid
Souray - Witt
Chorney - Polak
Good pairing as long as they never have to win a race to a puck. Good thing D men never have to do that

I say no to either deal. I think Gilbert needs a little time to get his game together. Grebs would be the one I'd move if we had to choose, but something tells me if this team is outside looking in by trade deadline time, Souray requests a ticket out of town (DAL or LA being my guess).

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Both of these deals would pay off for Edmonton BIG TIME! We'd be crazy not to accept both of them.

St.Louis fans have already pointed out that Polak is probably a good comparable to Smid. Good you defenseman who's only playing bottom pairing because of a log jam...I dont blame them for wanting to hold on to him.
Try watching Witt play these days or even last season. He brings no more leadership, physicality, defensive play, or stability than Staios....but he does cost more.

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote