HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 14 | San Jose Sharks @ Detroit Red Wings | 7:30 PM EST | FS-D (HD) |

Old
11-05-2009, 09:21 PM
detredWINgs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussha View Post
positives for me this game

1) team D seems to have improved significantly and osgood has stopped letting in weak goals in the first period, allowing the rest of the team to settle in

2) the one that excites me more, is the chemistry eaves and helm are developing together. I see our future next generation maltby and draper in these two (with the potential for more offense to boot), and with Draper on the wing he seems to be very effective again and if he can help mentor Helm and Eaves into becoming the next generation grind line, worth every penny that Holland gave him on that last extension.

Hopefully we can bring this same type of game against Toronto. If we come oiut ****** against such a ****** team I will very very disappointed,

the negatives for me

1) Cleary does not seem to be effective much at all these past 4-5 games, and seems noticeably slower from the past 2 seasons. Williams hasn't been much better either, and I think its limiting Zetterberg's effectiveness. When Flip gets back I think we put the ZDH line back together possibly, but since Dats Bert and Homer overall are doing pretty decent, maybe put Flip with Z and get one of those two off the wing with Z. Might even be interesting to let Flip be centre since he loves to pass anyways and have Zetterberg return to being a sniper
Cleary has been putrid. Hes great defensively and is strong on the puck, but he has no playmaking skills whatsoever, and his stick is ice cold along with the rest of the team. I dont like Williams much either, especially lately, but Williams is a decent playmaker as it stands.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 09:23 PM
nik jr

another very good win due to solid D and goaltending.

but they missed so many chances. bad finishing.

SJ looked tired, which was to be expected, since they played yesterday.

i thought refs should have whistled it on Z's goal.

bertuzzi had a great game, other than finishing. had many chances, but...

zetterberg had a strong game.

williams still mediocre.

leino played better, had several scoring chances near the net.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
Eaves has been a great addition.
Quote:
The Draper - Helm - Eaves line has been the energy line we were sorely lacking last year during the regular season.
agreed

i hoped eaves would be like cleary, and he seems to be getting there.

that line forechecked well and created several scoring chances.

helm also had a great game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
I've got the Sharks feed out here, and it was comical listening to Drew Remenda (the Sharks color guy) whining about that Zetterberg tip goal..."Oh, how could the ref see it from where he's at!"

I like the Sharks guys most of the time, but Drew can be a big Sharks homer when he wants to be.
remenda may be the best color guy i can think of (reasonable, makes many useful comments about strategy and tactics, points out bad calls against the other team), but he seems more biased when SJ plays DRW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post
I think he's playing wing with Helm at center.
that's what i mean. why does helm take more draws than draper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkspleen View Post
I predict it goes to a shootout, and osgood robs the sharks by reading all the dekes perfectly, meanwhile zetterberg and datsyuk do dekes and both beat Johnny Nabokov.

Too far fetched?
good call, except calling nabakov johnny.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 09:24 PM
Yemack

Cleary is working hard but I think he's been going to wrong areas of the ice. (im not talking about goal crease)

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 09:27 PM
FabricDetails

I don't think Cleary is the problem. It's JWilly's lack of toughness on the puck.

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Jussha

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabricDetails View Post
I don't think Cleary is the problem. It's JWilly's lack of toughness on the puck.
I think its that each seems to lack the useful skillset the other has, while Cleary is stronger on the puck, he does not seem to pass the puck as well as Williams, who seems to lose the puck a bit easier than cleary but makes more crisp passes. However, both seem quite slow and are not really complimenting Zetterberg who does seem to be skating much better the past few games.

Jussha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 09:40 PM
nik jr

cleary still does something annoying in the offensive zone that i noticed last season.

he holds the puck on the boards, shields the puck, looks around, moves a little, misses opportunities to pass, looks around more, and then passes, or the other team knocks him off the puck and leaves the zone.

when he does that, he looks to me like a squirrel.

not as bad as it was last season with datsyuk and zetterberg, though.

Old
11-05-2009, 09:41 PM
Franzenstein

Send a message via AIM to Franzenstein
Very fun game to watch. I have nothing to complain about. the Defense came to play, Ozzy came to play, Possibly another shutout if Big E didn't lose a skate on that 2 on 2.

Speaking if Ericsson, do you guys think he's having some confidence issues or am I expecting to much from him??

Franzenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 09:59 PM
tmf2204

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post
that's what i mean. why does helm take more draws than draper?
Draper has taken 20 more draws on the season. 50 of 99 for 50.5%. Helm is 39 of 79 for 49.4%. Scott Nichol is 2nd in the league at 64%.

Tonight Helm won 6 of 13 (46%), Draper 1 of 2 (50%), Nichol 13 of 20 (65%).

tmf2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 10:12 PM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
Zetterberg was great. Its good to see him back in his groove, because if we are going to win the Central we need him and Datsyuk to play like MVPs.

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 10:19 PM
RedMenace
100% Less Babcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkspleen View Post
I predict it goes to a shootout, and osgood robs the sharks by reading all the dekes perfectly, meanwhile zetterberg and datsyuk do dekes and both beat Johnny Nabokov.

Too far fetched?
So the winning PowerBall numbers are... ?

RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 10:35 PM
Drunkspleen
Face of the company

Quote:
good call, except calling nabakov johnny.
I can't help it, the fact that he went by the name John when he first came to America out of fear that people would be unable to pronounce Evgeni has always been pretty amusing to me, and so in my eyes, he shall forevermore be the one and only "Johnny Nabokov"

Drunkspleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 10:37 PM
Drunkspleen
Face of the company

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
So the winning PowerBall numbers are... ?

13, 43, 23, 5, 17 - with a powerball of 40

Old
11-05-2009, 10:43 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
cleary still does something annoying in the offensive zone that i noticed last season.

he holds the puck on the boards, shields the puck, looks around, moves a little, misses opportunities to pass, looks around more, and then passes, or the other team knocks him off the puck and leaves the zone.

when he does that, he looks to me like a squirrel.

not as bad as it was last season with datsyuk and zetterberg, though.
Nail, meet head. I was trying to put my finger on it, but thats exactly it - he looks like a squirrel when hes along the boards.

But this is exactly what I mean when I said the guy is a poor playmaker. He usually opts for a short pass to the guy who is supporting him along the boards (Zetterberg lately) who then has to create a scoring chance on his own. He needs to get more creative with the puck.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 10:57 PM
Drunkspleen
Face of the company

Quote:
Nail, meet head. I was trying to put my finger on it, but thats exactly it - he looks like a squirrel when hes along the boards.

But this is exactly what I mean when I said the guy is a poor playmaker. He usually opts for a short pass to the guy who is supporting him along the boards (Zetterberg lately) who then has to create a scoring chance on his own. He needs to get more creative with the puck.
You headbutt nails into wood?

Old
11-05-2009, 11:03 PM
sarcastro

Got to get the puck to the net more. They did a great job of holding the puck, getting it in, and getting control, but then they don't get it to the net with backup. Yes, they had a lot of shots, but they were mainly of the "throw it on net from 90 feet and see if it bounces around" variety. Good goalies in playoff condition will stop those all day, and the Wings were lucky to get the goal they got in this one.

It was about friggin time the Wings got the benefit of the doubt on a close whistle play.

Maybe it's the missing players, but San Jose still looks like they are missing that next level, the killer instinct.

Helluva game for Leino in this one, he had a bunch of chances and was working really hard in the trenches. If he can put that kind of performance in consistently, Babs will give him more ice time and maybe the puck will start going in for him.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 11:03 PM
Bob Probert Owns You
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Bob Probert Owns You
Man... I missed another Wings victory. This job is really cramping my style. I am so happy we got 2 from the Sharks.... hopefully we keep the streak rolling. How did Kronner and Stuey look tonight?

Bob Probert Owns You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 11:32 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:

He needs to keep it simple. get the puck to a teammate and get to the net. It seems like his goals are always within five feet of the net.

Quote:
What is wrong with Ericsson's brain?

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 12:44 AM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf2204 View Post
Draper has taken 20 more draws on the season. 50 of 99 for 50.5%. Helm is 39 of 79 for 49.4%. Scott Nichol is 2nd in the league at 64%.

Tonight Helm won 6 of 13 (46%), Draper 1 of 2 (50%), Nichol 13 of 20 (65%).
thx

it is good that draper has taken more draws than helm, but i am surprised draper's % is that low.

SJ is the best faceoff team, so i wonder why draper did not take more.

Old
11-06-2009, 01:08 AM
Jussha

Quote:
thx

it is good that draper has taken more draws than helm, but i am surprised draper's % is that low.

SJ is the best faceoff team, so i wonder why draper did not take more.
I believe they said during the game that apparently Babcock said the only way Helm and Gator will get better at faceoffs is if they keep taking more, so that might explain why Babcock had Helm taking more of them than Draper

Jussha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 01:40 AM
FabricDetails

I know this is from like last week but it still made me laugh.

“I’m a shooter now, shooter,” Datsyuk said. “I’m happy to shoot. I need more shoot. I’m looking forward to shoot. Sometimes I shoot, sometimes I forget I need to shoot -- maybe I make it tattoo.”

So... What does Pav need to do? It rhymes with bloot?

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 02:46 AM
ICdave
HFB Partner

Great shootout. Picture of the night:

ICdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 03:23 AM
14ari13

Another good win. Though the tying goal was iffy and the Sharks played the night before, a win is a win.
The Wings (Osgood) allowed 2 goals in last 3 games, the team is starting to play well defencively. The goals will come. It seems everybody is snake bitten but the Demolition Man.
I'll see the game later today.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 04:21 AM
Kiefer

haha awesome picture.

Kiefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 06:37 AM
CC Chiefs*

Quote:
2 goals against Detroit in the last 3 games. Ozzie with all the starts. Hes been solid. So has the D
This must be killing you to say? You were calling for Ozzies head earlier this year.

CC Chiefs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 06:50 AM
CC Chiefs*

OKAY 6 points to be made here:

1. They are getting tons of chances. They will go in. Early in this season they weren't the chances.
2. The defense is playing very well. All 6, even though there have been mistakes. Mistakes are going to happen it's you react afterwards.
3. They have beat 3 hot goalies in last 3 games. That must mean our goaltending is hotter then theirs.
4. Bertuzzi is just simply flying. He looks 10 years younger. His goals will come. He's very hard to knock off of the puck.
5. With Helm and Draper we still have probably the fastest two guys around.
6. Lidstrom. Enough said.

CC Chiefs* is offline   Reply With Quote