HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ray Whitney

Old
11-05-2009, 05:22 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassard Calder View Post
Whitney can also serve as a PP QB which we need. That's why. And plus, he's our favorite ex Jacket!
He's not my favorite ex-Jacket and he's 37 years old. Haven't we had enough of that sort of bandaid? He's still a fine player, but I'm just not sold that he'd be that much of an improvement over Huselius. There's too much of a risk that his age would catch up with him as soon as he got here.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 05:29 PM
Brassard Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
He's not my favorite ex-Jacket and he's 37 years old. Haven't we had enough of that sort of bandaid? He's still a fine player, but I'm just not sold that he'd be that much of an improvement over Huselius. There's too much of a risk that his age would catch up with him as soon as he got here.
I was just pointing out that in a forward for forward trade he would still fit a need that Juice doesn't. I'm not even saying we should get him, although I always liked the guy so I wouldn't be totally opposed to it.

It's really too bad we didn't have a goaltender to give Tampa at the deadline a few years ago, because Brad Richards could have been that cornerstone piece to put with Nash. Oh well.

Brassard Calder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 05:46 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LsquaredCBJ View Post
With the horrible start for the Hurricanes, there have been rumors that they are shopping many of their parts. So my question is, would anybody here be against trading Huselius for Whitney straight up?

I think Whitney would fit right in with this team and could help our PP out.

Whitney's contract is up at the end of the season, so we lose Juice's salary, and Whitney's comes off the books at the end of the year. Freeing up money, and giving Voracek and Filatov a chance to take the other wing spot on the 1st line next year.

Just want to see how my fellow Jackets fans feel about this.

Flame away.
I would do it. But I don't think our PP needs help. Sure, anytime you can get better you do it. But our PP is pretty good. Our PP that Nash scored on was great. Great movement and we kept the puck in the offensive zone the entire time.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 05:49 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
I think if you can move Huselius you have to do it. Too much money going to a guy, beyond this year, that takes up a spot that would be better served going to another player on our team.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 09:06 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
I think if you can move Huselius you have to do it. Too much money going to a guy, beyond this year, that takes up a spot that would be better served going to another player on our team.
I understand what you're saying, RD, I just would prefer to stay away from the idea of bringing back aging fan favorites. That's certainly not to say that I wouldn't want to see Juice traded. I guess I'd like to get help on the backend out of him, rather than bring in someone else to stand in the way of the kids development.

Old
11-05-2009, 09:09 PM
skimp

How about Juice for Jody Shelley? After seeing what Hainsey did to Dorsett, it's clear teams don't fear us and we need an enforcer.

skimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 09:12 PM
Doug19

vCash: 50
Quote:
I understand what you're saying, RD, I just would prefer to stay away from the idea of bringing back aging fan favorites. That's certainly not to say that I wouldn't want to see Juice traded. I guess I'd like to get help on the backend out of him, rather than bring in someone else to stand in the way of the kids development.
Whitney is better than Juice so he is an instant upgrade. He may be old but he is still damn good and he isn't Federov.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 09:42 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimp View Post
How about Juice for Jody Shelley? After seeing what Hainsey did to Dorsett, it's clear teams don't fear us and we need an enforcer.
I want BGL if we get an enforcer.

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 09:49 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRiffle View Post
Whitney is better than Juice so he is an instant upgrade. He may be old but he is still damn good and he isn't Federov.
And he never was.

Old
11-05-2009, 10:58 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
It's Fedorov... but who cares eh. I have been up and down on what the Jackets did not do with this player but in the end, I think we should have kept him. That said, I thought we should have kept Spacek as well-it's all about money.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 03:36 PM
JF Omalycat
CBJ Express

No way I'd give up a first for a 37 year old. (at least not a 37 year old Ray)

JF Omalycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 04:45 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Is this "We need to trade for a top six winger, because _____." or "I want my favorite player back."?
haha, ....yes.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Brassard Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
I want BGL if we get an enforcer.
Why? So he can politely ask people if they want to fight him and look like a clown like he did when he chased Lucic around. Plus BGL has a back problem, he's been injured for most of the past two seasons. I want an enforcer, but I'd rather get one that likes to do his job, has some meanness, and likes to fight. BGL seems like he's lost the will to do the job, and would rather just collect his paycheck now.

Brassard Calder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 08:33 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Canes fans are thinking that Ray wouldn't be the type to refuse to waive his NTC to force himself to remain in Carolina despite no chance of a new deal.

I told them about the last time one of our players pulled a dick move using his NTC as a bargaining chip.

Old
11-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Doug19

vCash: 50
Who is BGL I think I know who you're referring to but what does the B stand for?

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 09:34 PM
section 204

At this point you trade Huselius for a late round draft pick if the other team will take him. He's redundant on this squad, and at his price tag that's a really bad thing.

section 204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 10:17 AM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Quote:
Who is BGL I think I know who you're referring to but what does the B stand for?
Georges Laraque. I've seen the "B" refer to "Big".

Old
11-07-2009, 10:31 AM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
If we want to bring back former Jackets, we'd probably be a better team by trading Juice to Atlanta for Hainsey. Put Filatov in the lineup full time and put either Stralman or Methot in the press box.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
If we want to bring back former Jackets, we'd probably be a better team by trading Juice to Atlanta for Hainsey. Put Filatov in the lineup full time and put either Stralman or Methot in the press box.
Plus it's less likely he would have injured DD if they were on the sanme team.