HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OHL's Mike Liambus hit on Ben Fanelli - Erie Otters vs Kitchener Rangers

Old
11-04-2009, 02:42 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
OHL's Mike Liambus hit on Ben Fanelli - Erie Otters vs Kitchener Rangers

Pretty intense hit.

http://www.tsn.ca/chl/story/?id=297187

Fanelli's was in ICU for 4 days but now is in stable condition.

Liambus has been suspended for the entire season.

Let's discuss

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 02:46 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

I saw that the other day.

I'm glad he is stable. That was horrible to watch.

Though, the hit was really unfortunate. The guy had to know he was going to get hit, and the hitter had SO much speed. Bad turn, bad luck. It looks dirty, but I'm not so sure it really is.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 02:51 PM
kingpest19

Im with JDM on this. How long has it been said that one day a player is going to be severely injured turning his back at the last second? It was only a matter of time before it actually happened. Fanelli started to turn and Liambas was within arms reach. You can see in the video where Fanelli is perpindicular to the boards and Liambis is at the back of the net. Kind of hard for a hit to be avoided going that speed and that short of a distance between them.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 02:59 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Agree with JDM and kingpest19. More unfortunate than dirty. Fanelli turns after Liambus already commits to the hit. Much too harsh a penalty.

Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 03:02 PM
kingsfan25

That suspension is ridiculous. I know the OHL has been cracking down on dirty hits and head shots, but it's really unfair of them to make an example of Liambus like this. The term of the suspension should be based on what occurred on the ice, and, taking into account all of the factors that came into play to result in the injury, this punishment vastly outweighs any transgression on Liambus' part.

Does anyone know if junior players have recourse to appeal disciplinary rulings?

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 03:03 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

I'm shocked and saddened by the whole thing. Both kids suffer here. Obviously you don't want to see a player of any age fighting for his life (which is how serious his condition was at first), but like others mentioned above, you can't avoid a hit going that quickly. Mike Liambus, though in a different way, losses just as much as Ben Fanelli. This was Mike's last season of junior eligibility and they've taken that away from him for a unfortunate hit. Fanelli turned at the last second, and the reason he was so injured isn't so much the hit, but because his helmet came off at first impact of the check. This could easily happen to anyone and makes you wonder how secure his helmet was. Now both kids have to suffer. I think leagues shouldn't base a suspension (and I think he should have been suspended, just not the full season) on the extend of the injury, but on the hit. We've seen hits that hard in every league that go unnoticed because a player isn't severely injured. If Ben Fanelli walks away from the hit, Mike Liambus would have gotten a boarding penalty and maybe a game or two at most.

Just my thoughts on the situation.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 03:20 PM
not tellin*

the suspension is egregious and radical.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 03:22 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
He turns at the wrong time and Liambus connects with nothing but head. Stop it at :36 seconds and wow, all head.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 03:33 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
He turns at the wrong time and Liambus connects with nothing but head. Stop it at :36 seconds and wow, all head.
True, but again it doesn't look like head hunting. If Fannelli doesn't turn so quickly away, Liambus hits him dead in the chest.

Old
11-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Defgarden

The whole season AND playoffs. Damn.

Just turned at the last second. Unfortunate. Just a bad situation all around.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 04:18 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
True, but again it doesn't look like head hunting. If Fannelli doesn't turn so quickly away, Liambus hits him dead in the chest.
It wasn't. The other guy turned at the worst possible moment and Liambus hit nothing but head.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 04:31 PM
faceoffking

being knocked out by two vicious headshots, where i didnt see the guy coming, in my last season of junior hockey, i am really glad to see the OHL take a stand that hits to the head will not be tolerated. I know that there are so many variables that go into this play...Fanelli should keep his head up and be taking a peak to see if anyone is coming in. maybe he shouldnt have turned, its all hindsight now. the one thing that should be punished is that Liambas went in to hit his man with reckless abandon with the intent to not make a hockey play but to flatten his opponent. He should know better then to go full steam in on a guy that may or may not turn back. He has to make the decision, do i cream him or do i just take the body and make a hockey play. Its unfortunate but i feel the suspension is fitting. Head shots have know place in this game. Liambas, a 20 year old, should have to face the consequences of almost killing another hockey player, a 16 year old rookie, with a stupid decision...

faceoffking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 04:32 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
It wasn't. The other guy turned at the worst possible moment and Liambus hit nothing but head.
Yeah, very frightening. The guy's body just goes completely parallel to the ice.

Old
11-04-2009, 08:54 PM
HeadInjury

Quote:
Originally Posted by faceoffking View Post
being knocked out by two vicious headshots, where i didnt see the guy coming, in my last season of junior hockey, i am really glad to see the OHL take a stand that hits to the head will not be tolerated. I know that there are so many variables that go into this play...Fanelli should keep his head up and be taking a peak to see if anyone is coming in. maybe he shouldnt have turned, its all hindsight now. the one thing that should be punished is that Liambas went in to hit his man with reckless abandon with the intent to not make a hockey play but to flatten his opponent. He should know better then to go full steam in on a guy that may or may not turn back. He has to make the decision, do i cream him or do i just take the body and make a hockey play. Its unfortunate but i feel the suspension is fitting. Head shots have know place in this game. Liambas, a 20 year old, should have to face the consequences of almost killing another hockey player, a 16 year old rookie, with a stupid decision...
Agree. I guess the point of the suspension is that when you skate in hard from center ice and crash into a player, you're going to be held accountable for what happens and the fact that the other player shouldn't have turned at the last moment isn't going to be a viable excuse.

Some posters seem to be focusing on the fact that he led with his shoulder or the fact that the other player turned and not on the fact that he was barreling in on the guy from center ice. The key part of the video to me is not his hit, it's what precedes the hit.

HeadInjury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 09:13 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Is the hipcheck just completely gone from hockey now? I think the guy deserves to be suspended for charging the guy. He had him lined up from the time he entered the zone, the check wasn't to take the puck away from the guy it was to destroy him. Suspension is too long though. I'd like to know what kind of helemt he uses as well. Most of the new helmets don't just pop off your head. I use the Easton S17 and you can adjust the fit with a wheel in the back. Hockey really needs to be aggressive with getting rid of helmets that just pop off or are nothing more than plastic and cheap foam. You can buy elbow and shoulder pads that are almost bullet proof now and guys are still playing hockey with plastic and foam attached to their heads, it's an amazing thought process.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 09:32 PM
sueroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Is the hipcheck just completely gone from hockey now? I think the guy deserves to be suspended for charging the guy. He had him lined up from the time he entered the zone, the check wasn't to take the puck away from the guy it was to destroy him. Suspension is too long though. I'd like to know what kind of helemt he uses as well. Most of the new helmets don't just pop off your head. I use the Easton S17 and you can adjust the fit with a wheel in the back. Hockey really needs to be aggressive with getting rid of helmets that just pop off or are nothing more than plastic and cheap foam. You can buy elbow and shoulder pads that are almost bullet proof now and guys are still playing hockey with plastic and foam attached to their heads, it's an amazing thought process.
Yes that's what i saw. The speed and force in which he came in with what could demonstrate intent, could not have helped this kids case. I agree the suspension might be too long, but a longer period of time was definitely in order imo.

sueroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 10:01 PM
faceoffking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post

When i went to the London Hockey Concussions Summit all of the doctors there, even those who work with the NHL and UNC varsity football team said that helmets do not accomplish anything in the prevention of concussions. Helmets are there to protect from fracture. A concussion happens when your brain violently bounces around inside your skull, hitting the skull wall and bruising the brain. There is nothing in sport protection that and stop that. they said unless you could have an enormous helmet and an apparatus that did not let you head shake around, only then could you possibly and i emphasize possibly reduce the instances of concussions.

faceoffking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 10:07 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
When i went to the London Hockey Concussions Summit all of the doctors there, even those who work with the NHL and UNC varsity football team said that helmets do not accomplish anything in the prevention of concussions. Helmets are there to protect from fracture. A concussion happens when your brain violently bounces around inside your skull, hitting the skull wall and bruising the brain. There is nothing in sport protection that and stop that. they said unless you could have an enormous helmet and an apparatus that did not let you head shake around, only then could you possibly and i emphasize possibly reduce the instances of concussions.
We need to find a way to shrink bubble wrap and insert it around someone's brain.

Old
11-04-2009, 10:20 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
I know if my head bounces off the ice I would feel at least a little bit better if I had my helmet on. And should they really call them chin straps in hockey? Off the top of my head the only guy who has a somewhat snug chin strap is Paul Kariya. For most players it should be called a helmet necklace. It just dangles and serves no purpose.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 10:38 PM
Kings man 4 life

Sucks what happened, but a year is too much. I doubt that anybody goes into that wanting to hurt someone LIKE THAT. If everybody is so concerned about players getting hurt then why allow hitting at all? Its going to happen no matter what you do, be it a center ice hit or against the wall. Its a full contact sport. Good speed and a solid check and bad turn angle is what happened. Yes this is a tragedy, but we all cheer the big hits, and laugh at them too ala JJ on Smyth. Sad but its going to happen in this game.

Kings man 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 12:06 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Not to be a profiler, but does the hitter have a rep?

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 12:22 AM
JMFJ 3

I thought the full season ban was a bit harsh, that's a 15-20 game suspension IMO.

JMFJ 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 12:25 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Yes he is going fast, but I watch the video Liambus take no more than two strides immediately preceeding the hit. Moreover, he never left his feet and lead with his shoulder. The "horror" in watching that hit is that Fanelli turns away, face to the boards, at the last possible millisecond and basically forces Liambus to hit him from behind, because there is no way Liambus can attempt to avoid the hit at that time.

Unfortunate, horrible to watch, tragic for Fanelli (glad he is doing better), but worthy of a year long suspension? No, sorry, not even close. He was penalized for the injury, not the circumstance of the hit, at least not the part he (Liambus) controlled.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 12:58 AM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Yes he is going fast, but I watch the video Liambus take no more than two strides immediately preceeding the hit. Moreover, he never left his feet and lead with his shoulder. The "horror" in watching that hit is that Fanelli turns away, face to the boards, at the last possible millisecond and basically forces Liambus to hit him from behind, because there is no way Liambus can attempt to avoid the hit at that time.

Unfortunate, horrible to watch, tragic for Fanelli (glad he is doing better), but worthy of a year long suspension? No, sorry, not even close. He was penalized for the injury, not the circumstance of the hit, at least not the part he (Liambus) controlled.
Well said, that's exactly how I see it

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 02:27 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Liambus doesn't get just the head; he gets the body as well. Here's the point of initial contact.

Sam is offline   Reply With Quote