HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Poll: Retribution

View Poll Results: What form will the retribution against Ribeiro take?
Nothing - Ribeiro was really hurt, and I'm just glad he's okay and able to smile! 13 10.57%
Instigate a fight - Game 4 - Make him pay, right away. 0 0%
Instigate a fight - Game 5 - Make him pay, in front of Boston fans (bigger boost?) 3 2.44%
Cheap hit - if he wants to pretend to be hurt, maybe he ought to hurt for real. 9 7.32%
Persistent hits - every time he touches the puck, he feels it HARD for the rest of the series. 50 40.65%
Pay him back on the scoreboard - the best way to make him hurt is to send him to the golf course ASAP. 48 39.02%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2004, 04:05 PM
ThorntoNeely198

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ThorntoNeely198
Poll: Retribution

There's been all sorts of talk about retribution in the wake of some pretty shoddy play by Mike Ribeiro. Now that's got me curious. When people are talking about payback, what do they mean? Please pick the option that most closely describes your opinion, and give explanation if necessary...

TN198

Old
04-12-2004, 04:35 PM
habfan4

I obviously didn't vote being a Habs fan and I can see where the Bruins might be pissed with Ribeiro running his mouth/trash talking (a rare occurence indeed in the playoffs). However, why would the B's as a team (or individually for that matter) take issue (read: attempt retribution) with Ribeiro embarassing himself by rolling around on the ice, trying to embellish an "injury".

Old
04-12-2004, 04:37 PM
BruinsGirl

IMHO..he doesn't deserve special attention.

He's already hurt his reputation , mental injury much more affects than physical.

Our goal is a win...

Nothing should distrusct Bruins players ( maybe this was a plan to make B's running around , playing physically and forgetting about hockey game?)

I STRONGLY BELIVE THAT PEOPLE WHO VOTED "CHEAP SHOT" ARE NOT REAL B's FANS... JUST TROLLS WHO WANT TO MAKE US LOOK DIRTY!

Old
04-12-2004, 04:40 PM
wensink

I'm just going to quote Al Davis....Just WIN, Baby!!!

That's the ultimate retribution.

Old
04-12-2004, 04:42 PM
Gustom Slayer

Well, because the only way the officials can blow the whistle for a hurt player if the other team has posession of the puck is if the official feels he is seriously injured. Ribeiro put on the act to get the whistle blown on an out numbered situation in the Habs defensive end. Then he rubbed it in and ran his mouth like he was super clever, and put one over.

I hope the Bruins are smart enough not to take cheap shots at him, but I do hope he get's pushed around a bit. I also hope the refs don't overreact and call penalties when he's hit clean, thus rewarding Montreal twice for his stunt.

Pay him back on the score board, boys.

Old
04-12-2004, 04:46 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

For what it's worth, I read that Ribeiro has been diagnosed with a pinched nerve and missed practice today. I just don't see Gainey and Julien being the types of guys that would let Ribeiro miss a practice unless he was actually injured.

Old
04-12-2004, 04:50 PM
wensink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
For what it's worth, I read that Ribeiro has been diagnosed with a pinched nerve and missed practice today. I just don't see Gainey and Julien being the types of guys that would let Ribeiro miss a practice unless he was actually injured.
Not to stir the pot but why wasn't it diagnosed as an "upper body injury"? If true, that's a little stupid, don't you think?

If the B's know he's got a specific injury, wouldn't that be more likely to target that specific area??

For example look at Thornton. The B's took great pains to avoid showing where the injury was. The obvious intent was to not allow the Hab's to target any specific area.

Old
04-12-2004, 04:50 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
I do...I see guys like Julien and Gainey trying to restore some pride into the uniform. Wouldn't be suprised if they told him not to bother today....They could not have been happy with him....Especially Gainey, not the way he used to play the game....

Old
04-12-2004, 04:51 PM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Pinched nerve!!!! Joe Thornton is probably playing with the broken ribs!!!

Maybe they are saving his reputation? Don't you think?

He is developing talented forward and they don't won't his confidence completely shut when all sports papers and station will be all over him.

Old
04-12-2004, 04:53 PM
wensink

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8
I do...I see guys like Julien and Gainey trying to restore some pride into the uniform. Wouldn't be suprised if they told him not to bother today....They could not have been happy with him....Especially Gainey, not the way he used to play the game....
Too add to my other post...don't you think that they could be trying to deflect any potential (however unlikely) action from the league office?

Wouldn't the NHL muckety mucks frown on any theatrics/embellishment....if he was indeed acting. It puts the NHL in a bad light....especially after recent events.

Not that I personally think it is warranted. Even if he was acting, it's classless but should never be punishable by any fine or suspension.

Old
04-12-2004, 04:56 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
That's just it. Given the way Gainey played the game, I don't think he would give Ribs a free ride. I recall how he used to rip Claude Lemieux's actions at times.

Old
04-12-2004, 04:56 PM
bb_fan

Quote:

it aint worth nothing.....

but in all serousness, i would say the last two options.

they came out physical in game one and we saw the result, not so physical in the last two games, and not such good games for boston in comparison.

Focus on the puck and winning the game, but finish your checks when u get the chance!!!!!.

Old
04-12-2004, 04:58 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wensink
Too add to my other post...don't you think that they could be trying to deflect any potential (however unlikely) action from the league office?

Wouldn't the NHL muckety mucks frown on any theatrics/embellishment....if he was indeed acting. It puts the NHL in a bad light....especially after recent events.
Absolutely. I think it's one or the other. They either don't want to hear from the league, or they are *punishing* Ribeiro without bringing any press to it.

He may have really pinched a nerve though, convulsing his body like that, faking his injury and such..

Old
04-12-2004, 04:59 PM
WBC8

Quote:
That's just it. Given the way Gainey played the game, I don't think he would give Ribs a free ride. I recall how he used to rip Claude Lemieux's actions at times.
I think the uniform means far more to Gainey then Ribeiro does.....but then again, I also believe somebody was on the grassy knoll!

Old
04-12-2004, 05:02 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Absolutely. I think it's one or the other. They either don't want to hear from the league, or they are *punishing* Ribeiro without bringing any press to it.

He may have really pinched a nerve though, convulsing his body like that, faking his injury and such..
Not defending Ribeiro, but I'll just relate a personal experience. I have a problem with one of my feet, and apparantly it's nerve related. If I twist the arch of my foot in the wrong way, I am in agononizing pain, but it only lasts a couple of minutes and then after a bit of massaging it's fine and I have absolutely no pain. Weird.

Old
04-12-2004, 05:04 PM
canuck1957

probably just damage control...trying to put the focus on the game and not on his on-ice hysterics.

Old
04-12-2004, 05:19 PM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Not defending Ribeiro, but I'll just relate a personal experience. I have a problem with one of my feet, and apparantly it's nerve related. If I twist the arch of my foot in the wrong way, I am in agononizing pain, but it only lasts a couple of minutes and then after a bit of massaging it's fine and I have absolutely no pain. Weird.

You know reading many of your posts I respect you and believe you but Ribeiro is "repeating offender" and you know it. You also remember that Habs/Devs game 1 month ago.

Again.. I don't believe any B's players will target Mike on purpose. That would be wrong, he punished himself already enough.

Most of our current roster are veterans and future UFA and want to get out of the first round to have nice record to add to their resume.

Old
04-12-2004, 05:21 PM
L3DZ3P

There should not be any retaliation,Ribeiro did act but he was really hurt.Imo he doesn't deserve anything this is not like when someone try to injure a player with a cheap shot.

Old
04-12-2004, 05:31 PM
Sleemans

I voted to "pay him back on the scoreboard", but I hope the Bruins hit him hard everytime they get a chance for the remainder of this series.
Although I'm against doing anything "dirty" , just good clean bodychecks for this pathetic punk . :mad:
Like Kelly Hrudey said last night, he'll be lucky if he ever gets the benefit of the doubt with a referee for a long time in this league.

Old
04-12-2004, 05:31 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
You know reading many of your posts I respect you and believe you but Ribeiro is "repeating offender" and you know it. You also remember that Habs/Devs game 1 month ago.

Again.. I don't believe any B's players will target Mike on purpose. That would be wrong, he punished himself already enough.

Most of our current roster are veterans and future UFA and want to get out of the first round to have nice record to add to their resume.
In all honesty, I don't know what other Ribeiro incidents your talking about. I don't recall him ever 'faking' an injury in the past. Did something happen against the Devils? I'm not kidding here, I don't know what incidents your referring to.

Old
04-12-2004, 05:44 PM
Gary

I think Rebeiro hurt himself by doing that stunt. I think he was likely trying to mock injury because the Bruins on ice were probably yapping about all the ******** diving that's been going on. Hopefully the refs took notice that the habs are a bunch of wimps and stop giving the benefit of the doubt everytime one of them does a triple backflip when the Bruins rubs shoulder with them. The refs screwed us HUGE after the Mclaren fiasco, I would'nt be surprised if they do the same to habs for trying to make them look like idiots :mad:

Last edited by HockeyGoddess: 04-12-2004 at 10:45 PM. Reason: circumvention of obscenity filter edited
Old
04-12-2004, 05:47 PM
Don Cherry*

I voted for give him a cheap hit. He's not going to fight because, like most Habs players, he hides behind his mask and won't fight back. :mad:

It's times like this that I wish we still had Mclaren. :lol

Old
04-12-2004, 06:04 PM
supernova

I voted for cheap hit also, and its times like this that someone like McLaren would come in handy. Although I will settle for an open ice train wreck by Boynton, or maybe LaPointe. I thought I saw an instant replay of the Mac hit on Zednik last night in the 1st. I thought it was Boynton, and at the time it looked exactly like the McLaren hit without the end result. They didn't show a replay however so I'm not sure if it was that close or not, but it appeared to be at the time. Boynton has it in him, so Mikey had better keep his head up when Nick's on the ice.

Maybe Joe could suck it up for one shift and catch Ribeiro when he isn't expecting it. If Joe could do something, anything, early in game 4 it would be such a boost. Flattening Ribeiro on his 1st shift would be a fine start.

Someone will catch up to this little greaser before the series is over, that much I'd put money on.

Old
04-12-2004, 06:11 PM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova
I voted for cheap hit also, and its times like this that someone like McLaren would come in handy. Although I will settle for an open ice train wreck by Boynton, or maybe LaPointe. I thought I saw an instant replay of the Mac hit on Zednik last night in the 1st. I thought it was Boynton, and at the time it looked exactly like the McLaren hit without the end result. They didn't show a replay however so I'm not sure if it was that close or not, but it appeared to be at the time. Boynton has it in him, so Mikey had better keep his head up when Nick's on the ice.

Maybe Joe could suck it up for one shift and catch Ribeiro when he isn't expecting it. If Joe could do something, anything, early in game 4 it would be such a boost. Flattening Ribeiro on his 1st shift would be a fine start.

Someone will catch up to this little greaser before the series is over, that much I'd put money on.
I think you guys are crazy. We can't risk getting called for it, and why bother being bulletin board material for those guys either? Play the game right, win the game, and have a fourth liner spear him in the groin next season. Plain and simple.

Old
04-12-2004, 06:11 PM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
In all honesty, I don't know what other Ribeiro incidents your talking about. I don't recall him ever 'faking' an injury in the past. Did something happen against the Devils? I'm not kidding here, I don't know what incidents your referring to.
It was about 1 month ago when Habs and Devils played home-and-home series, game #1 in NJ (I think). Score was very close, 1 - 1 despite Habs outplaying Devils by a huge margin. During the last minutes Devils seemed to put more pressure and sof them highsticked Mike. It was a clear penalty and Devs were penalized as they well deserved.

However Ribs didn't have eye pocked or teeth knocked. He proceeded to have the same kind of act rolling on the ice about 2 minutes long then he looked around checking the situation and making sure penalty has been called. I remember many Montreal fans were questioning that. I think Kerry also was reffing that game.

Closed Thread