HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"These go to 11" - Maple Leafs at Hurricanes - 11/06/09 - 7pm

Old
11-06-2009, 10:00 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
We are officially a punch line and attendance will be so bad that payroll will have to go down next year
Not a problem, really. All that means is that Boychuk, Bowman, and Sutter are up to stay next season and potentially our top draft pick if it plays out that way. We could very well ice a better team next year while losing a significant portion of salary.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 10:03 PM
OrioleWay
Jailbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Not a problem, really. All that means is that Boychuk, Bowman, and Sutter are up to stay next season and potentially our top draft pick if it plays out that way. We could very well ice a better team next year while losing a significant portion of salary.
Bowman? Will be nice but i'm not sure. First - get rid of Samsonov. I don't know for Cole... he's just not that good player anymore. If we can trade him again....

But will be nice to see next season Boychuk, Sutter, McBain... maybe Samson, Bowman... eventually Bellemore or Carson. Dodge and Blanchard for 4th line.

OrioleWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 10:06 PM
DoomMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
Bowman? Will be nice but i'm not sure. First - get rid of Samsonov. I don't know for Cole... he's just not that good player anymore. If we can trade him again....

But will be nice to see next season Boychuk, Sutter, McBain... maybe Samson, Bowman... eventually Bellemore or Carson. Dodge and Blanchard for 4th line.
Why the ? for Bowman? You think he's that much further behind Boychuk in terms of progress?

DoomMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 10:10 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Sutter definitely had one of his best nights to date in the faceoff circle. In all honesty I don't think it's going go truly effect Sutter whether he is playing wing or center, he looks great each game regardless and looks to be a strong defensive player regardless. With Sutter it's kind of like you're going to get what you're going to get and he's showing that right now whether he's playing center or wing, collecting 10 minutes a game or 18. If Sutter and Boychuk are on the same line in my opinion it only makes sense to have Boychuk at center as his game/skill set is much better suited for the role in my opinion based mostly on his playmaking ability and speed, both in which are much greater than Sutters and better suited for a centerman to create for his wingers. That however is just my opinion. We're now seeing some of the light at the NHL level on why Sutter was pegged as one of the players in his draft class to have the potential to be one of the better all-around players. It is certainly nice to see.
While it is true that a center is better suited for playmaking, it's also true that a center is suppose to be the defensive responsible one of the line. And I believe Sutter also showed some good playmaking abilities tonight as well.

Of course, it'd help both of them if they didn't have dead weight on their respective line. Brindamour couldn't bury anything out there, and Cole can't seem to hold onto the puck.

On the positive side, LaRose had a great game out there. Many chances and a really aggressive penalty kill. He's turning back to that pest instead of the scorer, but he was never meant to be a scorer in the first place.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 10:13 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
I'd say he's half a season behind Boychuk, which upon observation of tonights game puts him in front of the following forwards on our roster:

Rod Brind'Amour
Scott Walker
Erik Cole
Chad LaRose
Stephane Yelle
Tim Conboy

so at the very least he should be a 3rd liner for us right now.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 10:14 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

could anyone help me out with who was on the PP and PK units tonight?

Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 10:15 PM
WalkerBabe

WalkerBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 10:16 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Powerplay:

PK:

11-06-2009, 10:19 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

lol yeah thats about what i was thinking ^^^^

Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 10:19 PM
caniacgirl12

Send a message via AIM to caniacgirl12 Send a message via MSN to caniacgirl12
If we are going to do it this way, we might as well go all out and go for 18. This team needs a record breaking season!!!

11-06-2009, 10:21 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panic Button View Post
Nah, Jonas Gustavsson made Jonas Gustavsson look like Jonas Gustavsson.

He's not mediocre because you haven't heard of him - you haven't heard of him because he's a rookie.
Sorry man. I won't call Gustavsson mediocre, but the Canes are making every goalie this year look like Patnicislav Roytretek. Yes, Patrick Roy, Dominic Hasek and Vladislav Tretiak rolled into one. That's how pathetic this team, other then Brandon Sutter, has been all season.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Guerzy
Serenity

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
While it is true that a center is better suited for playmaking, it's also true that a center is suppose to be the defensive responsible one of the line. And I believe Sutter also showed some good playmaking abilities tonight as well.
Partially true but if they're going to be on one of our top offensive lines than you want production and in my opinion you're more likely to get that with Boychuk at center. Sutter can make some decent plays but he is no playmaker in comparison to Boychuk's abilities with the puck. Boychuk carries a far, far better playmaking game in my opinion. All in all I don't believe you'll have to worry too much about lack of defensive play with both Sutter and Boychuk on the ice, regardless of position and who's playing where. I don't think they'd be any better or worse whether one is at center or wing. Some say Boychuk needs to work on his defensive game where I think he carries a pretty good defensive game that in time when he adjusts to the game at the nhl level, will be an asset to the defensive role as I believe he has the tools. In my mind Boychuk is the more offensive one of the two with a decent defensive game while Sutter carries the less offensive game and better defensive game. You gotta choose one to play somewhere and for maximum production both offensively and defensively, i'd go Boychuk at center. I'm not trying to have a pissing contest or anything, Maurice could very well put them together and Sutter play center and it could work great. Just my opinion of the two and what they can bring to the ice and how they can benefit one another.

Last edited by Guerzy: 11-06-2009 at 10:29 PM.
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 10:29 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

I simply don't see Sutter being as part of one of our top offensive lines. If the scouts were right about him, he doesn't have the offensive game to keep up anywhere near the pace that he has been so far.

Now, on the other hand, if he does put on some weight and keep scoring those dirty goals he has been, then he could be a real threat out there and then it would actually be more beneficial to have him play wing. It does, however, take away slightly from his defensive responsibility, one of the strongest assets of his game.

Old
11-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Partially true but if they're going to be on one of our top offensive lines than you want production and in my opinion you're more likely to get that with Boychuk at center. Sutter can make some decent plays but he is no playmaker in comparison to Boychuk's abilities with the puck. Boychuk carries a far, far better playmaking game in my opinion. All in all I don't believe you'll have to worry too much about lack of defensive play with both Sutter and Boychuk on the ice, regardless of position and who's playing where. I don't think they'd be any better or worse whether one is at center or wing. Some say Boychuk needs to work on his defensive game where I think he carries a pretty good defensive game that in time when he adjusts to the game at the nhl level, will be an asset to the defensive role as I believe he has the tools.
Have to agree with this. Boychuk has the hands, the head and the work ethic: his defensive game will come along just fine. In a year or two (if not later this season), I think the Canes could have one of the more dangerous PKs with the Sutter/Boychuk a real threat to score shorties. But even if Sutter rounds out into a more defensive player, and Boychuk to a more offensive player, you still have to be feeling pretty good about the kids. (The veterans, on the other hand... )

Ohio Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 10:34 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Just got back from the game. I agree with what Vagrant said..Boychuk looked a little lost out there early on but got better as the game went on. You could tell he didn't quite know where to be sometimes. What I did like is he was always around the net and if his stick hadn't of broken, I was convinced he had a goal on that one play. I think as he gets his feet wet, he will really come on.

He is a little soft on the boards though so will need to figure out how to effectively operate down there (like Whitney does and Recchi did).

Sutter was the best forward on the ice tonight. Great hustle, smart plays, passing, scoring, winning some key faceoffs, etc.. It is unbelievable how much he has progressed from last season. I also thought Sammy played well tonight. Was hustling and making things happen.

The two worst players on the ice IMO were Brindy and A Ward.

Brindy is absolutely brutal. Bad passes to nobody, losing battles and not winning key faceoffs. Right before he took the penalty, he had a chance to win the chase to the puck on the boards but coasted and the Leafs kept it in. 30s later, he's in the box..and game over. I am convinced that this team will never come around with him as captain.

A Ward has zero confidence. He is not playing physical in front of the net, poor decisions with the puck, bad pinches, and very slow. I never thought I'd say this, but I felt much better with Wallin out there tonight than I did with A Ward.

Hopefully they can get a win in Columbus because it won't be easy on Wed. with a very good Kings team coming to town.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 10:34 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

I blame all this on the new videoboard.

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 10:36 PM
Guerzy
Serenity

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
I simply don't see Sutter being as part of one of our top offensive lines. If the scouts were right about him, he doesn't have the offensive game to keep up anywhere near the pace that he has been so far.

Now, on the other hand, if he does put on some weight and keep scoring those dirty goals he has been, then he could be a real threat out there and then it would actually be more beneficial to have him play wing. It does, however, take away slightly from his defensive responsibility, one of the strongest assets of his game.
Absolutely. I was just speculating if Maurice were to play the two of them together today in hopes of generating offense with our injuries and what I thought the better combination would be. Before seeing Sutter this year I was convinced he needed to play center, his natural position, but he has surprised me in a very positive manner on the wing. Sutter was said to have the potential to be one of the better all around players of his draft class. If he can form into a 20 goal, 50 point player and gain the much needed weight, he could be an asset in the top 6 and a tremendous asset in the top 9. I don't want to get to carried away with the kids offensive game based on a few games, he is likely going to be a very good 3rd liner much like Mike Fisher in my opinion (Though he is even having a solid offensive season to date). Great 3rd line guy but just doesn't carry the talent for top 6 scoring, but you can pluck him in there if need be.

I absolutely agree with Sutter and his weight. If he could put on some pounds he could become a much, much more effective player and if what he's showing today is any indication, he could place himself in a top 6 role. I honestly don't think it's out of reach in the future if the kid fills out. If he can play the game at atleast 200-210 the way he is playing right now, wow.

In all honesty which ever position these kids play, I just want to see the best out of them. As for Boychuk looking nervous, etc. Definitely normal and we saw the same from Sutter last year aswell. Once he gets used to the speed and all-around game up here he'll come around just as Sutter has and that comfort level will come with more playing time. One thing is certain and that is Maurice better keep playing the kid and give him solid minutes so he can adjust and not be stuck with limited ice time. The kid definitely needs to play and will likely be better for it.

Last edited by Guerzy: 11-06-2009 at 10:48 PM.
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 10:37 PM
Neil Patrick Harris
Playoffs right MEOW

Sorry, I couldn't resist making one of these.

Neil Patrick Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 10:37 PM
impeach estaalo

I never really thought that there would ever be a worse defenseman on the team than Niclas Wallin, but Aaron Ward has proven me wrong.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 10:39 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Patrick Harris View Post

Sorry, I couldn't resist making one of these.
This is kind of amusing, except that I don't think there was a single person here who actually expected us to win tonight.

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 10:41 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by imayagainknowanton View Post
I never really thought that there would ever be a worse defenseman on the team than Niclas Wallin, but Aaron Ward has proven me wrong.
I know..I still couldn't believe on a few plays tonight when I actually said to my kid: "oh good, at least it's Wallin back there and not Ward".

For all the grief we give Wallin, tonight I have to give him some credit. IMO, he actually played pretty well. No major mistakes, no stupid penalties, was the only defensemen to actually clear out the front of the net, and made some well timed pinches tonight.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 10:43 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

with Joni's huge defensive shortcomings... We can't afford to have complete screw ups like Ward and Wallin back there

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 10:44 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpuckhog View Post
I know..I still couldn't believe on a few plays tonight when I actually said to my kid: "oh good, at least it's Wallin back there and not Ward".

For all the grief we give Wallin, tonight I have to give him some credit. IMO, he actually played pretty well. No major mistakes, no stupid penalties, was the only defensemen to actually clear out the front of the net, and made some well timed pinches tonight.
You wouldn't know it from Tripp and John. They were slobbering over Ward, claiming he's got his confidence back, he's playing real physical, and he's making the right pinches at the right time.

Of course, for every 1 right pinch he makes, there's two or three where he's behind the opposing forwards on the race back to his zone.

Old
11-06-2009, 10:45 PM
Caniac4ever
Gleason 4 Norris

vCash: 2924
I agree with ncpuckhog. I really think it's time for a new captain. I love Brindy like crazy, but we need a new leader and the sooner the quicker.

On the good side of things, NHL.com has us on a 5 game loosing streak. Maybe were not as bad as we've been thinking!

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 10:48 PM
OrioleWay
Jailbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniac4ever View Post
I agree with ncpuckhog. I really think it's time for a new captain. I love Brindy like crazy, but we need a new leader and the sooner the quicker.
Staal with C, Gleason and Ruutu with A.

In near future: Sutter will wear A.

OrioleWay is offline   Reply With Quote