HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Raffi Torres: Playing his way out of Columbus?

Old
11-06-2009, 07:16 AM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Raffi Torres: Playing his way out of Columbus?

The story so far:

15 games played - 8 goals, 1 assist, even rating, 8 PIMS.

2.250 cap hit.
----------

Raffi is off to a great start. He looks to be one pace to destroy his previous career high in points (41 points in 2005-2006. 27 G, 14 A).

Due to previous injury concerns, the glut of young guys, etc. How likely is Raffi to remain in Columbus next season? Can Columbus even afford him? I am not inclined to think so right now.

Last edited by Matthew: 11-06-2009 at 07:25 AM.
Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 07:20 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

lets see if he plays a full year...and keeps on this pace...I'm not so sure that will be the case...I like what we've seen so far and what he brings...but I think we would get to bring him back at a decent amount if he should...may be a slight raise...

Fro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 07:33 AM
BluejacketNut

We should be able to use Modin's money for Torres,I think it would be a dumb move not to resign him if his health has turned for the better. Not only are his 8 goals second on the team, but his goals are clutch, he needs to be risgned

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 08:48 AM
Bobcat110

Guess I'm not buying "he's injury prone" argument yet...he has had one serious injury that took nearly a year to recover from...other than that he's played:

2003-4: 80 of 82 games
2004-5: Lockout year played 67 games with Roadrunners
2005-6: 82 of 82 games
2006-7: 82 of 82 games

Howson will offer him a contract that's fair, if we can afford $2.75M this year, can't see why not next year if he earns it.

Bobcat110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 08:54 AM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

SH is probably juggling numbers right now, thinking about what he will offer Torres. With Modin coming off the books and if he can somehow unload Huselius, I see it happening.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 08:57 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

He is currently better at what he brings than any of the younger/developing players that, ostensibly, could bring the same. So the question for Howson becomes, of course - is he going to remain enough better at those things to justify whatever he's going to be paid above what his potential replacement will make?

This is actually not that much different than last offseason's situation with Malhotra. (Which is not to say that's how it will turn out, merely pointing out the similarities. However, I believe Howson has shown he will deal with each player's situation independently - in other words, just because he did something a certain way over here doesn't mean he'll do the same over there. And to clarify, I don't see Pahlsson as Manny's replacement. Manny's replacement has been Murray/Blunden to this point.)

Working against Raffi is the abundance of bottom-six wingers on the team/in the system. Working in his favor is that none of them has shown or even given glimpses of - this far - the ability to put up 15-ish goals.

EDIT:
To make a long post longer - Jaxs point is well-taken with regards to those two players specifically. The team is already young, you wonder how much young Howson will want it to get.

Old
11-06-2009, 09:16 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Given the tags on this thread, I'm tempted to report it as trolling.

I would love it if Howson could find a way to get Tico in as part of the team core. If he can't, though, I trust him to find some way to do even better. See: Malhotra situation.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 09:27 AM
MattTheMask
Cbus for life!

Torres is the best 3rd/4th liner in all of the NHL.

I love Raffi and I really want to keep him. Not only does he add goals and points from the 3/4 lines but also clutch goals AND lots of energy, and he is one of the fiercest competitors.

I can see him being a lot more reasonable then some past free agents, and negotiating to stay.

MattTheMask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 09:28 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

re: "Playing his way out of Columbus?"

Why don't you text Hitch about it and see what he says?

www.blog-rakers.blogspot.com

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 09:52 AM
Rimers stache

Correct me if I am wrong but I don't necessarily remember Raffi doing much in the playoffs last year. I wonder if he could be used as a bullet come trade deadline day. That being said I really like Raffi a lot. He is indeed clutch but to say he's guaranteed a pay raise may not be true. IMO he's a bit overpaid as is, he is nearly making 3 mil this year. Thats a lot of money for a 3rd liner. I don't know, I think anything more then 3 mil a year would be overpayment for a guy like Raffi (thus far), it will obviously be much easier to assess after a full season.

Rimers stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 09:58 AM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

15-2 when he scores now. Two multi-goal games already this season, I think & he has the second most goals on the team.

Has he ever had a hat trick? Because I have a feeling he's going to get one as a Jacket.

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 10:00 AM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimers stache View Post
[BCorrect me if I am wrong but I don't necessarily remember Raffi doing much in the playoffs last year. I wonder if he could be used as a bullet come trade deadline day./B] That being said I really like Raffi a lot. He is indeed clutch but to say he's guaranteed a pay raise may not be true. IMO he's a bit overpaid as is, he is nearly making 3 mil this year. Thats a lot of money for a 3rd liner. I don't know, I think anything more then 3 mil a year would be overpayment for a guy like Raffi (thus far), it will obviously be much easier to assess after a full season.
Raffi is one of the reasons we got to the playoffs, throwing the baby out with the bath water may be a mistake.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 10:50 AM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Tico es en fuego.

If he can keep it up, make it happen GMSH. We'll have Freddy Mo's cap space to play with.

Old
11-06-2009, 10:59 AM
RDriesenUD

I think he will come back and for a decent price. I think he likes it here, likes that we traded for him (gave him a chance), and isn't going to just go where the most money is.

I still think the biggest issue we have, between now and this summer, is finding a way to trade Huselius or Commodore (Pretty much impossible).

RDriesenUD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 11:11 AM
Bobcat110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimers stache View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but I don't necessarily remember Raffi doing much in the playoffs last year. I wonder if he could be used as a bullet come trade deadline day.
Based on their playoff performances, pretty much every CBJ player could be a bullet at trade deadline.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bobcat110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
It will be interesting to see what happens to Torres.

I think, barring injury, we're gonna see a 25-30 goal, 50-60 point season from him. Raffi is fast becoming my favorite player, but I think he may be in for a big pay day. And I don't want to see the Jackets give it to him.

I see Torres as a poor man's Mike Knuble. He's got a great nose for the net, finishes his checks, and is the most clutch player in Jackets franchise history. However, he has had some injury problems, and as others have pointed out, is far less effective when he's playing more than 15 minutes a night. And let's not forget, he was pretty ineffective during the 1st half of 08-09 (To his credit, much of this was due to injuries.)

I think the fact that we haven't heard anything about negotiations between Torres' agent and Howson doesn't bode well for Torres remaining with the Jackets past this season. Howson has made a point of locking up guys he feels are a part of the future. Perhaps Howson doesn't see him as a key piece.

Anyways, I see Torres getting a similar amount or slightly less as Knuble (2.8 Mil). Knuble is a better player, but Torres is younger, so it's sort of a wash. If Torres has a 30 goal+ season (he's on pace for 43 goals) he's a good candidate to get a big ass contract from some team. I like Torres, but no way would I pay 3 million plus for a 3rd liner.

But I thought Williams and Malhotra would get one, and that was the opposite of what actually happened. And the cap will very likely go down. All I can say is, IHWT

11-06-2009, 12:52 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
But I thought Williams and Malhotra would get one, and that was the opposite of what actually happened. And the cap will very likely go down. All I can say is, IHWT
The cap going down has been overstated. I think attendance is only off less than 5% thus far. And the economy is likely to get better as the season progresses.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 12:57 PM
blahblah

Modin's money has already been spent.

I would like to see Torres stay, but he probably won't. With our financial issues we are probably going to have to rely more and more on prospects.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
I think the fact that we haven't heard anything about negotiations between Torres' agent and Howson doesn't bode well for Torres remaining with the Jackets past this season. Howson has made a point of locking up guys he feels are a part of the future. Perhaps Howson doesn't see him as a key piece.
Didn't Howson trade for Torres? (I need a refresher there.) So maybe Howson is just waiting to see what he's worth? I don't know.

I think we'll also see what happens around the trade deadline, too. Could that feasibly have an impact? I'd think so.

Lots of time left. I'll wait and see. Howson will get done what is best for us.

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 04:37 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Modin's money has already been spent.

I would like to see Torres stay, but he probably won't. With our financial issues we are probably going to have to rely more and more on prospects.

I would go as far as to say, both Modin and Torres' money has already been spent. The new extensions of Nash, Vermette, Brassard, Klesla, and Russell will add just over $7M in cap hit and what ~$6M in salary? Modin and Torres combined are at $5.5M cap hit and $6.25M salary (this season).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
I think he will come back and for a decent price. I think he likes it here, likes that we traded for him (gave him a chance), and isn't going to just go where the most money is. I still think the biggest issue we have, between now and this summer, is finding a way to trade Huselius or Commodore (Pretty much impossible).
Agreed.

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 04:43 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Moo View Post
Didn't Howson trade for Torres? (I need a refresher there.) So maybe Howson is just waiting to see what he's worth? I don't know.
Yep, 7/1/08:
To EDM: Gilbert Brule
To CBJ: Raffi Torres

Old
11-06-2009, 08:20 PM
gojackets1
Someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post

I would love it if Howson could find a way to get Tico in as part of the team core. If he can't, though, I trust him to find some way to do even better. See: Malhotra situation.
Oh so thats who Tico is. You see i have that one shirt from last year with all the nicknames on it and the only one i've not been able to figure out until now is Tico!

But yeah I would love to keep Raffi, using Modin's money and just hope he isn't "Malhotra confident" in himself.

gojackets1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 10:03 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

I love watching Raffi Torres play..

dude goes into the hard areas with attitude..

many people not as talented as Raffi Taffi have made nice careers camping out in the crease and providing screens, or potting rebounds. Looks like Raffi's nitch as long as he is willing to pay the price.

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 10:31 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTheMask View Post
Torres is the best 3rd/4th liner in all of the NHL.

I love Raffi and I really want to keep him. Not only does he add goals and points from the 3/4 lines but also clutch goals AND lots of energy, and he is one of the fiercest competitors.

I can see him being a lot more reasonable then some past free agents, and negotiating to stay.
You know Matt, right now I'm inclined to agree He really is the perfect 3rd liner! Not a guy you'd want on lines 1 or 2 for any significant portion of time, but overachieves offensively and plays with lots of grit and determination (and talk about clutch!). I'd love to see him stick around

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 07:56 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
Oh so thats who Tico is. You see i have that one shirt from last year with all the nicknames on it and the only one i've not been able to figure out until now is Tico!
Tico Torres plays drums for Bon Jovi. Is the derivation.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote