HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Raffi Torres: Playing his way out of Columbus?

Old
11-07-2009, 08:34 AM
Xoggz22

vCash: 500
First I'll preface this by saying I think Torres has proven his value to this team. I was a fan when he was drafted by the Isles. While Brule is having a nice year in Edmonton, one could argue we still hold the edge on this deal.

Unfortunately (or fortunately - depends how you swing), I think Raffi is playing himself into a possible 1st round draft pick at deadline time. There are so many questions that need answered over the next several months but he certainly could be a mover at deadline day if they think the team will be strong enough to handle the playoffs without him.

This will be a very difficult decision for Howson. We need some veteran leadership but I don't see us ponying up another $3M on the budget. Someone mentioned Modin coming off the books and using his money for Raffi. I think that money went to Brassard. Add in all the other extensions and knowing we will extend Jake next summer and likely re-sign Strahlman.... I just don't see where the money will come from right now. Howson also seems to be a guy that likes to use his assets to the best of his ability to support long term franchise goals.

It is possible that we could see a 2 year extension. that would put Pahlsson, Juice, RJ, Chimera adn ultimately Torres all as UFA's at the completion of the 11/12 season. It also means less player movement over the next 3 years and Howson better be rigth on his extensions or it's a big problem until then.

Keep in mind, Hejda is probably more important to this team than Raffi. I would rather see Jan with a 2 year extension personally. If you could move Huselius and/or Commodore in a year or two (Commodore being questionable - contract and value to Columbus) that would help answer some of these questions too.

It will be interesting....

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 12:59 PM
GOCBJ61

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
We should be able to use Modin's money for Torres,I think it would be a dumb move not to resign him if his health has turned for the better. Not only are his 8 goals second on the team, but his goals are clutch, he needs to be risgned
who's Modin?

GOCBJ61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 01:09 PM
DougKnowsBest

he is the guy that skates with the players when they are coming off of the IR

DougKnowsBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 01:11 PM
RStar*

Glad to see other people who are fans of Torres. I was pretty upset when he was traded away from Edmonton. On top of being an underrated goal scorer, he lays out some of the biggest hits in the game.

I'm a big enough fan that I named my dog after him. Here's a picture of me and little Raffi Torres on Halloween.

He loves his number 14 jersey.

Last edited by RStar*: 11-07-2009 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Maybe not. Seems as though I can't post pictures.
RStar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 02:03 PM
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
First I'll preface this by saying I think Torres has proven his value to this team. I was a fan when he was drafted by the Isles. While Brule is having a nice year in Edmonton, one could argue we still hold the edge on this deal.

Unfortunately (or fortunately - depends how you swing), I think Raffi is playing himself into a possible 1st round draft pick at deadline time. There are so many questions that need answered over the next several months but he certainly could be a mover at deadline day if they think the team will be strong enough to handle the playoffs without him.

This will be a very difficult decision for Howson. We need some veteran leadership but I don't see us ponying up another $3M on the budget. Someone mentioned Modin coming off the books and using his money for Raffi. I think that money went to Brassard. Add in all the other extensions and knowing we will extend Jake next summer and likely re-sign Strahlman.... I just don't see where the money will come from right now. Howson also seems to be a guy that likes to use his assets to the best of his ability to support long term franchise goals.

It is possible that we could see a 2 year extension. that would put Pahlsson, Juice, RJ, Chimera adn ultimately Torres all as UFA's at the completion of the 11/12 season. It also means less player movement over the next 3 years and Howson better be rigth on his extensions or it's a big problem until then.

Keep in mind, Hejda is probably more important to this team than Raffi. I would rather see Jan with a 2 year extension personally. If you could move Huselius and/or Commodore in a year or two (Commodore being questionable - contract and value to Columbus) that would help answer some of these questions too.

It will be interesting....
I agree, I'd like the money to be spent elsewhere, namely, Jake and Hejda.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some moves. I wouldn't doubt to see Tico gone at the deadline, especially if he keeps up his play, we could possibly see a player and as high as a second round pick.

With the extentions given to Brassard, Vermette, Russell and Klesla, I doubt you see Juice, Commodore, Torres, Pahlsson or Methot stick around. If they aren't traded before their contracts expire, then they probably won't be renewed, and Filatov, Voracek, Mason and possibly Hejda will.

Friedrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 02:17 PM
skimp

I hope we don't resign him simply because "Tico" is the most annoying nickname I've ever seen.

skimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 02:30 PM
Brassard Calder

I hope and think we'll keep him. He fits our team perfectly and Hitch loves him. I'd be shocked if we traded him at the deadline. Only way I could see that going down is if we're completely out of the race, which I don't foresee happening.

Brassard Calder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 02:37 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

If we are in it at the deadline there is no way Torres is traded, he is too important. If he stinks up the joint or gets injured then maybe. The only other way is an offer that cant be turned down,for something we need.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 09:56 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

At the deadline, I would expect CBJ to acquire a rental not turn Torres into one for another team.

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 11:33 PM
Socks
HeadFake

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjsec114 View Post
who's Modin?
The Modin is strong of heart but fragile of body. A heavy gust of wind could knock it over and render it comatose for a week.

As to the thread, I really like Raffi and want him to stay. How else will we be entertained by the Raffi1/Raffi2 encounters.

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 12:08 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
I only read your opening post Mattew... if one reviews Howsons methods he will keep Torres.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 04:14 AM
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
If we are in it at the deadline there is no way Torres is traded, he is too important. If he stinks up the joint or gets injured then maybe. The only other way is an offer that cant be turned down,for something we need.
I don't foresee us getting a rental this year. We're not a cup contender right now, IMO. To get a rental would mean giving up something that isn't currently producing to our team and would help rebuild another, most likely, non-playoff team. That would mean giving up a prospect, and I don't see that happening, at least not this year.

I can however see Torres being traded for a player and a pick, or just a pick, then using that pick to trade someone like Chimera, or Juice in order to get another player that's under contract for a little longer.

At this point in time any speculation are at best, just guesses. Torres may not play like he has for the rest of the season, might get injured, who knows. Those goals in Atlanta for example were gifts.

On the other hand, Chimera might not have the grit that Torres has, or the willingness to stand in front of the net, but I still see upside in his game. That re-direct goal was a beauty, and I think he's capable of scoring close to twenty goals.

Friedrich is offline   Reply With Quote