HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bulldogs start playoffs April 20th..Preview

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2004, 02:36 PM
habitants9_4

vCash: 500
Bulldogs start playoffs April 20th..Preview

They will play the winner of Cleveland and Toronto. Also every game of that series will be played in Cleveland. It is very likely that we play Cleveland, as they seem to be the better team going into this series. However, if the Dogs play Toronto....It will be a good series, but the Bulldogs will be well rested, and should have a lot more energy. There is no doubt that Hamilton is more talented then every team in their division.

Their current line up is:
Hossa Plekanec Perezhogin
Higgins Gratton Suomervuori
Dwyer Olvestad Ferland
Thinel/Carpentier Higgins Milroy
Cote Traverse
Beauchemin Hainsey
Vydereny Plante
Damphousse
Danis

The potential lines
Hossa Plekanec Perezhogin
Higgins Gratton Suomervuori
Dwyer Olvestad Ferland
Thinel/Carpentier Higgins Milroy
Cote Traverse
Beauchemin Hainsey
Dykhuis Komisarek
Damphousse
Danis

Playoff predictions

Ceveland over Toronto in 2
Houston over Cincinnati in 3
1st round
Milwaukee over Houston in 6
Hamilton over Cleveland in 5
Chicago over Grand-Rappids in 7
Syracuse over Rochester in 7
2nd round
Hamilton over Syracuse in 7
Chicago over Milwaukee in 6
3rd round
Hamilton over Chicago in 7
Calder Finals
Hamilton will meat Bridgeport who will take it in 7.

What are your predictions:
Perezhogin leads in playoff scoring.
Hainsey picks up his game and plays amazing, cause he's a clutch performer.
Danis takes over between the pipes in the Syracuse series, or if they face Toronto.

Some questions going into the playoffs:
Benoit Gratton is in a slump, and will need to break it to be fully effective?
Who will play with Plekanec and Perez on the top line, Higgins or Hossa?
Will Damphousse show up and be a consistent performer, or will he suck?
Beauchemin and Hainsey were amazing in the playoffs last year, will they do the same?
Can the Bulldogs put up a run like last year without Komisarek and Dykhuis?
If they face the Road Runners, will they be able to win...Because they lost the season series and seem to always get beat when they face each other?

Basically if you compare the team to last years, their somewhat close:
Conklin-Fichaud vs Damphousse-Danis
If Damphousse can play like he has shown, I think their goaltending won't be a problem. He has been good at times, but they have Yann Danis who could just as easily surprise everyone. If the Dogs face the Runners, Damphousse and Fichaud choke. So you can look to see Danis face them. The dual is weaker, but has the potential to surprise.

#1 pairing Hainsey-Komisarek vs. Beauchemin -Hainsey
Last year Hainsey and Komi were clutch. They came to play every night. Now you basically add a year of experience to Hainsey, and as long as he plays like he did last year, minus a few mistakes because of the added experience I think were better off.

#2 pairing Beauchemin-Bergeron vs. Dykhuis-Komisarek
Dykhuis is very sound defensively, and Komisarek can add some offense. The problem here is that this year's pairing will not be as effective offensively. But if Dykhuis and Komi have chemistry together things will come together.

#3 pairing Haakana-Allen vs. Cote-Traverse
I will argue that Traverse is better then Haakana and I believe Cote is better then Allen was last year. Therefore the defensive unit will be key in the playoffs, as they will be expected to lead the way.

Forwards:
Salmelainen Gratton Ward vs. Hossa Plekanec Perezhogin
The new line is a lot more finesse, while the old one has experience and a lot better all-round. These two lines are both in the same zone, Ward was playing well. So other then him their fairly even. If Hossa can find a scoring touch, this new line will be on fire.

Hossa Stoll Ryder vs. Higgins Gratton Suomervuori
Hossa was playing like ****, therefore making the LW spot better. Gratton is very good at the AHL level, so he would be an upgrade on Stoll. But Ryder compared to Suomervuori. Well we saw what Ryder did this season, well he was more valuable in the AHL playoffs!! Making these lines fairly even.

Torres Lindsay Hinz vs. Dwyer Olvestad Ferland
Both lines play a very good physical game, except Torres was simply un-believable. Lindsay played with tonnes of heart, and Hinz was the experienced guy who played very well defensively. The depth from last year is what differs this years from last years. If Ferland and Olvestad can use their speed, they will provide a solid checking line.

Rita Plekanec Blouin vs. Thinel/Carpentier Higgins Milroy
Everybody is waiting for Milroy to start producing. Higgins is the man he needs to be playing with. If its Thinel this line will have good speed, and if its Carpentier it will have good luck. (Carpentier is a very lucky player) Higgins will make the difference, so keep a close eye on him.

Depth: Balej, Bishai, Dicasmirro
NEW Depth: Robinson,

his years team is good and they can beat any team out there. Especially within the division, as they beat them up all season long.

Old
04-12-2004, 02:38 PM
Darz

Good article dude.

Just to remind ya, alot of us hab fans appriciate your indepth reports on the Bulldogs.

Keep up the good work!!!

Old
04-12-2004, 02:49 PM
Catala

Send a message via MSN to Catala
nice post,

GO BULLDOGS GO

Old
04-12-2004, 03:10 PM
habitants9_4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabzIsLife
If they put Milroy on the 3rd or 2nd line Watch out this is what he was born for! the Playoffs... he could probably make a Career off of It... I've never seen something like it... goes from being an average player to the best player in his league in the post-season... if he's given a chance... it'll be hell to pay for the other teams!!!
Thats what I heard too, and from what I saw while he was Kootenay. He is a serious threat, and should be a big performer, but there is not enough room for him in the top 6. He also wouldn't fit in with Olvestad and Dwyer. I could see Suomervuori moved down if Milroy can really step it up.

Milroy needs to be more physical in protecting the puck. Hopefully he can surprise us all.

Old
04-12-2004, 04:15 PM
Rahan

Thanks for the preview, really a good read. I hope they will show some of the games on sportsnet!!

Old
04-12-2004, 04:18 PM
Razorblade

Although on paper this team can look somewhat close to last year's, their play is no where even close. Last year's Dogs could dominate any team on any given night, and could have probably beaten a few NHL teams while they were at it. In goal, Conklin-Garon. Wow. Even Conklin-Fichaud, still amazing. Damphousse-Danis, not a lot of confidence riding there, but hopefully they can stand on their heads.

As far as your lines go, the only thing I see Jarvis doing differently is putting Dwyer at centre, where he has played most of the year. He has been one of the unsung hero's for the Dogs this year, even though he's not piling it up on the scoresheet. As well as Olvestad, who has been a great third liner for the team this year.

And with Milroy, he has played anything but average, somewhere far below that. I'd rather see Brent Robinson get that spot, as the game I saw him in Toronto he looked pretty good.

Your predictions are quite optimistic, but saying that I hope they come true . The Barons will take out Toronto, and the Dogs will beat the Barons, and I think they could beat the Crunch out as well, and I too think the Wolves will make it to the conference finals, but Hamilton has not had much luck against them, and will probably be ousted there. I'm looking forward to a good run, had my tickets for the first 2 rounds for a week now, Go Dogs!

Old
04-12-2004, 05:06 PM
habitants9_4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorblade
Although on paper this team can look somewhat close to last year's, their play is no where even close. Last year's Dogs could dominate any team on any given night, and could have probably beaten a few NHL teams while they were at it. In goal, Conklin-Garon. Wow. Even Conklin-Fichaud, still amazing. Damphousse-Danis, not a lot of confidence riding there, but hopefully they can stand on their heads.

As far as your lines go, the only thing I see Jarvis doing differently is putting Dwyer at centre, where he has played most of the year. He has been one of the unsung hero's for the Dogs this year, even though he's not piling it up on the scoresheet. As well as Olvestad, who has been a great third liner for the team this year.

And with Milroy, he has played anything but average, somewhere far below that. I'd rather see Brent Robinson get that spot, as the game I saw him in Toronto he looked pretty good.

Your predictions are quite optimistic, but saying that I hope they come true . The Barons will take out Toronto, and the Dogs will beat the Barons, and I think they could beat the Crunch out as well, and I too think the Wolves will make it to the conference finals, but Hamilton has not had much luck against them, and will probably be ousted there. I'm looking forward to a good run, had my tickets for the first 2 rounds for a week now, Go Dogs!
Last year's depth up front is the difference between this version to last year's. They had 4 lines that on any given night would play as your first. Most of the times it was the Ward line with Salmelainen/Hossa and Gratton, but Stoll and Ryder had their moments. Along with them, you had Raffi Torres who with Lindsay and Blouin/Hinz would provide a truly physical first line...Both Lindsay and Torres could produce offensively in the AHL, but Hinz and Blouin were on hot streaks.
Finally the fourth line was filled with players on slumps and the rookie Plekanec. Hossa, Rita were the likely candidates for the wing, but you saw SaLMELAINEN, Dicasmirro, Balej, Blouin and Hinz all pencilled in at one time or another. In the finals, particularily the final game none of the lines showed up, and they all played like 3rd or 4th lines. It was kind of a weird team, that had a chemistry that was hard to beat. This years team's chemistry is coming along nicely....There are a lot of the French guys becoming good friends, like Damphousse-Fichaud-Michaud...Cote-Traverse-Dwyer-Dykhuis-Ferland-Gratton-Beauchemin...Flood-Robinson-Danis....Komisarek-Higgins-Milroy...There seems to be a solid group of friends...when they first started the team didn't seem as friendly with each other.

It doesn't look like Jarvis is playing Robinson, I think he would prefer Milroy because he knows what he can do....He saw it for that short period of time after the Svitov trade.

I think they can beat Chicago without needing as much luck as you think. Obviously you need some luck to win, but they have faired pretty well against Chicago. I remember earlier in the year seeing them beat the Wolves 5-3..Their defense is too slow for our speedy forwards. Their offense got shut down with our defense corps...We match well. The only team I am worried about would be Houston or Grand-Rappids. Milwaukee and Chicago are both very good teams, but from this season's games I think we would beat them. Houston has Holmqvist, and everyone knows what he did last year, and Grand-Rappids are just bigger and have a lot of experience.

Also I have never seen Dwyer play center...What games did you see him play C. He usually plays LW.

Just noticed Wilkes-Barre added Fleury and Whytney to their roster....Yikes, their chances have just dramatically increased!

I will also go to all home games, and if they play Rochester/Syracuse/Toronto I might go.

Old
04-12-2004, 05:14 PM
Mike8

Virtually every Hamilton game I've gone to or watched on tape, Dwyer's played center. Even when Olvestad's on his line. I've seen both take draws, but for some reason Jarvis seems to prefer Dwyer down the middle.

And Dwyer has looked very good there, surprisingly. I like how Ferland's getting consistent time next to Dwyer. Hopefully Dwyer's character and tenacity will rub off on Ferland a little more.

Old
04-12-2004, 05:32 PM
habitants9_4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
Virtually every Hamilton game I've gone to or watched on tape, Dwyer's played center. Even when Olvestad's on his line. I've seen both take draws, but for some reason Jarvis seems to prefer Dwyer down the middle.

And Dwyer has looked very good there, surprisingly. I like how Ferland's getting consistent time next to Dwyer. Hopefully Dwyer's character and tenacity will rub off on Ferland a little more.
Dwyer barely takes the draws, and has a weak shot, I would put Olvestad at C over Dwyer. Although Jimmie does play LW well, and sometimes he's better on the wing.

Old
04-12-2004, 05:41 PM
Moumni_Bachir

Send a message via ICQ to Moumni_Bachir
Questions for the experts,

#1, How do we pronounce Eero Samèrevuoritz?

#2, Where is Matt Higgins?

#3, What would be the BullDogs lineup for next year?

#4, Why do Calisse?*

*: No need to answer.

Thanks!

Old
04-12-2004, 05:50 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitants9_4
Dwyer barely takes the draws, and has a weak shot, I would put Olvestad at C over Dwyer. Although Jimmie does play LW well, and sometimes he's better on the wing.
What does Dwyer's shot have to do with him taking draws anyhow? Centers generally are puck distributors rather than shooters. Anyhow, that line's main function is to grind it out and chip one home on occasion.

I would also put Olvestad at center above Dwyer, but Jarvis doesn't seem to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moumni_Bachir

1 - ee-roh suhm-err-vu-oh-ree

I believe. Could be wrong.

2. Not with the Habs organization for a long while now. He played in the Isles farm system then went over to Germany, where he's enjoyed moderate success.

3. Too difficult to say at this point. A lot depends on training camp. I suspect at least one of Plekanec, Higgins, Hossa and Perezhogin will make the Montreal lineup next season.

Old
04-12-2004, 06:02 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I think the big question mark is in nets, as I don't see Jarvis putting in Danis unless Damphousse just falls apart. Damphousse has been good most of the time I've seen him, but he seems to struggle putting together a long strech of really good games.

Even if Damphousse holds up I dont think they will go all the way, as the Admirals look very good this year and so is grand rapids. It should be a great playoff run for them and anything can happen, but I'm concerned about the goaltending and the fact that this team is so young, it's hard to say how the rookies will respond. HIggins and Perezhogin should do fine, but we'll have to see how Milroy, Ferland, Cote, do. And we'll see if Komo and Dykhuis are sent down if the Habs are still in the playoffs, I would think only one would go do if we are still in the playoffs.

Old
04-12-2004, 06:08 PM
Moumni_Bachir

Send a message via ICQ to Moumni_Bachir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8

1 - ee-roh suhm-err-vu-oh-ree

I believe. Could be wrong.

2. Not with the Habs organization for a long while now. He played in the Isles farm system then went over to Germany, where he's enjoyed moderate success.

3. Too difficult to say at this point. A lot depends on training camp. I suspect at least one of Plekanec, Higgins, Hossa and Perezhogin will make the Montreal lineup next season.
Thank you!

Old
04-12-2004, 06:24 PM
habitants9_4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moumni_Bachir

#4, Why do Calisse?*

*: No need to answer.

Thanks!
#1Straight from the Pronunciation Guide it is AIR-oh soh-muhr-VOH-ree
#2 Last I heard he was with Bridgeport until he left to Germany. He is in the DEL, and plays for Isrelohn*, something like that.
#3 If I had to guess I'd say:

Kastsitsyn Plekanec Perezhogin
Higgins Urquart Ferland
Lambert Locke Milroy
Carpentier Larivee Thinel

Hainsey Beauchemin
Cote Plante
Korneev Vydareny
Flood Archer

Danis
Michaud

Assuming there's a lockout...Komisarek, Hossa, Gratton, Dykhuis and Traverse all will not be allowed to play for Hamilton as they have played more then 50 NHL games. If they hadn't we could see them play all season next year, however, Hainsey will be the guy to keep your eye on. The team will have a lot of holes to fill.

#4 yes I Do

As for Dyer I am simply stating a fact that he has a terrible shot, Ferland and Olvestad at least have some skills. Dwyer is pure toughness, and a weak skater. He has barely played C all year hes been mostly a winger....While Olvestad often ceters the 3rd and 4th lines. Possibly Jarvis puts him on the wing sometimes to get a rest.

Closed Thread