HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Montreal claims Jay Leach on recall waivers

Old
11-06-2009, 01:59 PM
GoHabsGo57

vCash: 500
LMAO. Wikipedia is always good for a laugh! I just looked up his Wikipedia page and it says this:

Quote:
Playing career

Jay Leach was drafted in the fifth round (115th overall) by the Phoenix Coyotes. After spending several years in minor hockey leagues, he signed as a free agent with the Boston Bruins on September 26, 2003. With this team he appeared in his first two NHL games during the 2005-06 season, collecting no points and seven penalty minutes. Leach spent most of his time in the Bruins organization with their AHL affiliate in Providence. On July 3, 2007, he was signed as a free agent by the Tampa Bay Lightning. He played in two games for the Lightning during the 2007-08 season, but spent most of the season in the AHL. On February 26, 2008 he was traded to the Anaheim Ducks. He signed with the New Jersey Devils during the 2008 offseason. On November 6, 2009, Leach was claimed by the Montreal Canadiens through re-entry waivers, he was then traded to Pittsburgh Penguins for Sidney Crosby and Marc-André Fleury.

GoHabsGo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Leach is an okay defenseman. No offensive instincts, of course, but he won't hurt you in his own end most of the time. He's a #7, that's what we were calling him up to be.

Not sure what the Devils are going to do for depth now. Call up Davison or Eckford probably.

I actually feel the worst for Lowell, they just lost their Captain for nothing.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
Leach is an okay defenseman. No offensive instincts, of course, but he won't hurt you in his own end most of the time. He's a #7, that's what we were calling him up to be.

Not sure what the Devils are going to do for depth now. Call up Davison or Eckford probably.

I actually feel the worst for Lowell, they just lost their Captain for nothing.
That sounds fine to me.

With Markov, O'Byrne and Gill out the Habs are down to 6 healthy d-men, two of which are small and fringe (MA Bergeron and Mathieu Carle).

O'Byrne should be back in 2 weeks which will likely mean that either Carle or Leach goes to the AHL.

And we just continue to cross our fingers that the Habs can hang in there till Markov gets back!

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 02:41 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

having seen enough of the guy in the AHL I am shocked that someone thinks he can be a NHL defenseman.
He was pretty bad in the AHL whenever I have seen him with Providence, Portland and Lowell.

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 11-06-2009 at 02:58 PM.
GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 02:50 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I'll take a wild guess and assume that this was done as a precautionary move since the Habs D are dropping like flies. With Markov, O'Byrne, and Gill injured, plus last night Spacek was injured but came back. The Habs have Alex Henry who has been out since preseason but is due back any day now and might be ready this weekend but if not they have on the farm, PK Subban, Yanick Weber, Andre Benoit, Fred St-Denis and Chad Anderson plus Mike Butso who I think is now healthy.

So with the Habs playing tomorrow and Hamilton playing tonight and Sunday, the Habs and Dogs are very thin on defensemen if anything is wrong with Spacek. If not they would have to call someone from Hamilton which would mean they would have to play with 5 D.

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 03:37 PM
centrehice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLcrazy View Post
Who cares he'll play in Hamilton anyways...
I'm pretty sure since it was reentry he'll be staying up with the habs. I don't think you can claim on reentry and then send him down right away without losing him

centrehice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by centrehice View Post
I'm pretty sure since it was reentry he'll be staying up with the habs. I don't think you can claim on reentry and then send him down right away without losing him
Leach cannot be waived to be sent down for thirty days, and if Montreal attempted to I suspect New Jersey would claim him back.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 03:45 PM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

He's servicable. He won't hurt you playing 14 minutes a night in a fill-in basis. He's servicable defensively, but he's a terrible skater and makes Colin White look like Bobby Orr.

Not the worst fill-in guy to have though.

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 04:16 PM
barneyg
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo57 View Post
LMAO. Wikipedia is always good for a laugh! I just looked up his Wikipedia page and it says this:
hahaha :-)

Seriously, in the "Jay Leach on waivers" thread everyone kept saying the Habs would pick him up, for once people around here are right and not proposing "JORDAN STAAL FOR THE SEDIN TWINS"

barneyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 05:02 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
to help people understand the kind of player he is, let me put things into persepctive.

right now the devils defense is

white-mottau
salvadore-greene
fraser-murphy

jay leach was then called up to probably replaced muprhy.

think of him as a terrible, slow version of brendan witt
Glad he's going to mtl then.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 05:07 PM
Lapierre for captain

cuz yannick is an ahl softmore needs to develop more but next year he deserves a starting job on habs roster but he'll have to earn that up against matthieu carle

Lapierre for captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Edwards View Post
He's bad, not sure why the Habs didn't call up Mark Weber instead.
Gill and O'Byrne, both big guys, are out long term. They needed some size on the third pairing.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 05:15 PM
Lapierre for captain

obyrne be back end november same with gill

Lapierre for captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 05:51 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
having seen enough of the guy in the AHL I am shocked that someone thinks he can be a NHL defenseman.
He was pretty bad in the AHL whenever I have seen him with Providence, Portland and Lowell.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if Leach was claimed off re-entry waivers, the Habs got him for half price, right? Not a big gamble for a team with 3 regulars in the IR in Markov, O'Byrne and Gill...

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote