HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What are the positives?

Old
11-06-2009, 02:23 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
Glencross was asking for $1.M, not $1M. The Oilers would have given him $1.3M but Glencross was dead set on signing with the Shames.
Let me ask you a question...does Glencross at 1.35M provide more value than Nilsson at 2M? The point is that the Oilers had first crack at Glencross and Lowe fumbled the ball.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 02:30 PM
battlegoon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
Glencross was asking for $1.M, not $1M. The Oilers would have given him $1.3M but Glencross was dead set on signing with the Shames.
Thats 100% untrue

He wanted to sign in Edmonton but Edmonton was dead set on getting Hossa and withdrew the offer they made to GlenX while he was thinking about it. He picked Calgary because that was the second best thing for him

battlegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 02:40 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Let me ask you a question...does Glencross at 1.35M provide more value than Nilsson at 2M? The point is that the Oilers had first crack at Glencross and Lowe fumbled the ball.
glencross at 2.25 million provides more value than nilsson at 2 million... its hard to get worse than *negative* value

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 02:48 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
glencross at 2.25 million provides more value than nilsson at 2 million... its hard to get worse than *negative* value

Tough to argue with that.

Old
11-06-2009, 02:51 PM
Beerfish

Positives? Well a comet has not hit the earth yet.

Beerfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 03:09 PM
Fourier

Lubomir Visnovsky has to be a major positive.

We've seen where people want to deal Lubo because he will be too old when the team reaches its potential. This of course makes sense, particulary if one assumes his skills will diminish. But I see it differently. He plays the type of game that I do not think will deteriorate soon. I could see him being a serious contributor three years or even four years from now. And the guy is a great partner for a young up and coming Dman.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 03:12 PM
Dazed and Confused

Bit surprised that Comrie hasn't been mentioned as a positive, I think he's play (when healthy) better that any of us could have hope for.

Dazed and Confused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th_Liner View Post
check your sarcasmdometer.. or get 1..

there are far too many people stuck in the cap land.. sure the nilssons the staios are garbage that's being paid too much.. but for the other "overpaid" players we don't really have better replacement and really the UFA route historically doesn't yield to anything better (quality and paycheck wise)..

the fundamental problem with this team is lack of talent.. gagner/cogs were supposed to provide that this year, but so far have not really elevated to the expectations.. however that doesn't mean they won't so i think patience with these guys is key..

the d-corp is a bit messier, i was never high on grebs nor gilbert and am not high on smid, so i think this is the area where works need to be done both for the present and for the future..

Thank God you're not the GM. Smid????

Last edited by Stoneman89: 11-06-2009 at 03:39 PM.
Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 03:29 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed and Confused View Post
Bit surprised that Comrie hasn't been mentioned as a positive, I think he's play (when healthy) better that any of us could have hope for.
He has surprised me with his play. I guess the part I have trouble with is that his addition kind of underscored one of the issues with this team...duplication of skill sets.
This team didn't need a player of Comrie's skill set.
Adding players like Comrie is why this team is so unbalanced in terms of skill sets. IMO it's one of the reasons this team is so easy to play against.

Old
11-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
He has surprised me with his play. I guess the part I have trouble with is that his addition kind of underscored one of the issues with this team...duplication of skill sets.
This team didn't need a player of Comrie's skill set.
Adding players like Comrie is why this team is so unbalanced in terms of skill sets. IMO it's one of the reasons this team is so easy to play against.

I can agree with that. I know Mikey was coming back from sickness, and to his creadit, he banged some bodies, but he looked like a pinball out there at times. Gagner made it look like they had two balls in play.

Old
11-06-2009, 03:54 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
I can agree with that. I know Mikey was coming back from sickness, and to his creadit, he banged some bodies, but he looked like a pinball out there at times. Gagner made it look like they had two balls in play.
Yup...there is nothing wrong with Comries effort most nights.
He is definitely a gamer.

Old
11-06-2009, 03:56 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Lubomir Visnovsky has to be a major positive.

We've seen where people want to deal Lubo because he will be too old when the team reaches its potential. This of course makes sense, particulary if one assumes his skills will diminish. But I see it differently. He plays the type of game that I do not think will deteriorate soon. I could see him being a serious contributor three years or even four years from now. And the guy is a great partner for a young up and coming Dman.
Agreed. I think he is the best player on the team. The only player on this team close to having an elite skillset.

Old
11-06-2009, 04:05 PM
theranfordflop

The main positive I see is that we're getting a little more clarity from the coaches and players. In previous seasons it almost seemed like they had no idea what was wrong. Now they are recognizing what their deficiencies are, and they're being honest about them.

The first step is recognizing that you have a problem. But that's a big first step.

theranfordflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 04:06 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by theranfordflop View Post
The main positive I see is that we're getting a little more clarity from the coaches and players. In previous seasons it almost seemed like they had no idea what was wrong. Now they are recognizing what their deficiencies are, and they're being honest about them.

The first step is recognizing that you have a problem. But that's a big first step.
Thats interesting.

So what are we clearer about now compared to last season?

Old
11-06-2009, 04:13 PM
OilRick

vCash: 5895
I found a big positive last night guymez. I am positive I won't be buying too many more PPV games!

OilRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Soundwave

Positives of the year:

- Penner is still playing very well even though the offense around him has fallen asleep. That move he made short handed yesterday is simply a move he would not have made last year. He is a step or two faster.

- Smid IS rapidly developing into the big, shut down defender we've been pining for. That thread here on Jan Hejda? Guess what? Smid is going to be better than Hejda.

- Gagner is having a decent bounce back season.

- When he's not flu-ravaged, Mike Comrie seems decent at providing secondary scoring for the team.

- Souray looks like he could be back by the middle of the month possibly.

- Maybe Horcoff will be forced to retire if he keep injuring that same shoulder Naw, I feel bad for the guy.

- Our prospects like Eberle and Paajarvi seem to be developing well.

- Goaltending between Khabby and Deslauriers has been good. If only the defense in front of them could get healthy and comfortable with Quinn's system.

- Taylor Chorney has been pretty good this year.

- Cogliano not playing lights out at least means we might be able to sign him on the cheap next summer and then have him out perform his contract.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 04:25 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilRick View Post
I found a big positive last night guymez. I am positive I won't be buying too many more PPV games!
like a fool (a *fool* i tells ya), i bought the entire season package.... i didn't even think they would make the playoffs this year going into the year, i guess i'm just a sucker for punishment

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 04:30 PM
MePutPuckInNet

O'Sullivan was a positive last night, imo. Played a solid game and did a good job centering that partial line that Quinn saddled him with...The Fabulous Robert Nillson and the Skating Death, Mike Comrie [man, that guy looks really sick to me, I didn't think he looked like he was ready to be playing at all]. But anyway, it was one of only a half a dozen times O'Sullivan's played the center position since his junior days. Did some good work in the offensive zone, that Comrie goal never happens without O'Sullivans good personal effort in getting Mikey that puck. He did a good job on the PK, too. And, the dude had nearly 24 minutes of ice time.

He continues to get trashed around here for not scoring, but he sure is contributing in many other ways.

MePutPuckInNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 04:56 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Thats interesting.

So what are we clearer about now compared to last season?
Indeed. That is the clear question.

It never matters what is stated to somebody but on how much of that is recieved, internalized, and acted on.

Words are only ever words. They are never resultant actions.

In this way I can never understand how buoyed people are each time Quinn says "all the right things" if the players are not acting accordingly.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 05:10 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Souray has been able to spend more quality time with his kids.

Tickets for the games have been easier to come by and at a discounted price.

There is much more to argue, complain and ***** about on here.

We can always take solace in the Eskimos.

Forget about that last one.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 05:35 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilRick View Post
Indeed.
I was lucky enough to have figured that out last season.

Old
11-06-2009, 05:37 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

It never matters what is stated to somebody but on how much of that is recieved, internalized, and acted on.

In this way I can never understand how buoyed people are each time Quinn says "all the right things" if the players are not acting accordingly.
I don't get it either.

Maybe because it isn't MacT that's saying those things.

Old
11-06-2009, 05:43 PM
KerPatrick
Tee Hee You Missed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
No I know and that's cool, but is that a fender?

It's the hellspawn mixture of the bones of fornicators, and the sinew of thieves!!! BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

KerPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

No kidding. In one ear and out the other. Only a matter of time before Quinn snaps with this group, just like MacT did. I know I would.

Old
11-07-2009, 03:05 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

This thread is good to have here right now and I want to give it a bump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guymez
I would be curious to know what other people consider positives. After 3 years of possibly the worst hockey I have ever seen from this team I am very disillusioned.
I am quite sure I'm not alone.
Yeah its been tough slogging. Moreso when you're also a fan of the other pro team in town.

Seems like the younger crowd here sometimes doesn't understand how easy it is to get down on the worst performing Oiler team ever when you've been around for the alltime ride.

I agree with a lot of your comments.

I think its time to just get rid of Nilsson, Pisani(its done, over, guy doesn't got NHL speed or stamina anymore and is a liability)This is strictly a loyalty contract.

Moreau, done and time to play in Europe. I really believe him and Horcoff train too hard and that it limits how much reserves they have. They don't let their bodies repair much in the offseason is my take. They look like spent players much of the time. Overworked bodies. I've overtrained myself and it sneaks up on you and you don't realize its happening.

Hemsky-Freelancer. Immune to feedback and stars in his head hilite reels playing all the time. Few players frustrate me as much as Hemsky because I've seen what real premier players look like and the decisions they make. Smyth was right when he told Hemsky "You don't have to wear blinders out there" Smyth was likely fedup the amount of times Hemsky was turning the puck over making tunnel vision seam passes that weren't there when a dump to Smyth in front was the better play. Years later we have Gagner riding shotgun on topline because Hemsky is allergic to simple down low play. To playing where the goals are. Hemsky should be force fed Glenn Anderson hilite reels from morning to night. Maybe he'd understand how to use his skills and drive the net.

Gagner is one of my faves but I'm disappointed in his play right now. Particularly ownzone. 3rd pro season is enough time to learn to pick up the trailer open man. Time after time Gagner is doing nothing looking back at Khabby and a back of net play instead of reading the pass in front. Everytime I see that "awshucks" reaction and rolling eyes I'm reminded how many times I've seen it. A rookie, O' Reilly, is +13 in Colorado and playing better hockey than Gagner ever has here. Its time for Gagner to step up to another level and be a complete more effective player. Offense starts with defense. Gagner, because he has hockey IQ, needs to lead the way.

Grebs- For me this is one of those players where you always spot the errors. Plus that he's so tiny he loses any puck battle in the corner or when the forecheck is too intense. Once Grebs is running around in his own end I learn to sit on the edge of my seat chewing my fingernails..A small D has to be extremely good and Grebs is with the puck and with time. But under pressure he gets caught too many times.

LuboSmid- Gold. Clone these two quick so we have a top 4.

Sully- Very good player. Have patience. This is the best all round forward on the team(with apologies to Penner) rounding into form who just happens to have the best forward shot on the team. Not scoring right now but I still think 20 goals this year and a consistent 20something goals/yr.

Gilbert-With the right partner that he can trust he will again be better. Gilbert needs an outlet and is an outlet. he needs a reliable guy with him. A Willie Mitchell-Glbert pairing would look great. Just saying.

Khabby-We got the good version. Thank god. He likes it here and is playing like it.

Last edited by Replacement: 11-07-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote