HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What are the positives?

Old
11-07-2009, 04:24 PM
myteammytown

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
Glencross was asking for $1.M, not $1M. The Oilers would have given him $1.3M but Glencross was dead set on signing with the Shames.
link?

myteammytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 06:01 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlegoon View Post
Thats 100% untrue

He wanted to sign in Edmonton but Edmonton was dead set on getting Hossa and withdrew the offer they made to GlenX while he was thinking about it. He picked Calgary because that was the second best thing for him
According to Stauffer he asked for 1.5 million (or something like that I can not remember the exact amount) from the Oilers who then asked him to wait.

He then signed in Calgary for less then what he originally asked Edmonton for!

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 06:04 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
Finding a positive?//????????????

give me time

Hummmmm

Penner's play

after that--humm give me time

I will think of something else

Oh I know--Bought a blackberry so I can post while I am stuck in traffic

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 06:17 PM
theranfordflop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Indeed. That is the clear question.

It never matters what is stated to somebody but on how much of that is recieved, internalized, and acted on.

Words are only ever words. They are never resultant actions.

In this way I can never understand how buoyed people are each time Quinn says "all the right things" if the players are not acting accordingly.
It's not just Quinn, it's the players too. They're talking in much less delusional terms this year.

theranfordflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 06:58 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by theranfordflop View Post
It's not just Quinn, it's the players too. They're talking in much less delusional terms this year.
except for Moreau after turning the puck over deep in the Flames zone in game 4.

nabob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 07:40 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
According to Stauffer he asked for 1.5 million (or something like that I can not remember the exact amount) from the Oilers who then asked him to wait.

He then signed in Calgary for less then what he originally asked Edmonton for!
That's because the Oilers told him they would be using his cap to sign Hossa.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 10:36 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

I just thought of another positive

We don't have Michael Nylander

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 02:41 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
The point being that its just talk.

A real change would be to see this team do its talking on the ice by virtue of consistent positive results.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 02:46 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
The main positive I see is that we're getting a little more clarity from the coaches and players. In previous seasons it almost seemed like they had no idea what was wrong. Now they are recognizing what their deficiencies are, and they're being honest about them.

The first step is recognizing that you have a problem. But that's a big first step.
This. After every loss over the past three seasons it seemed as if MacTavish would lay out about three or four positives and talk about how insert player's name here played well. Quinn has been blunt.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 04:14 AM
mactforcoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
This. After every loss over the past three seasons it seemed as if MacTavish would lay out about three or four positives and talk about how insert player's name here played well. Quinn has been blunt.
Yep, blunt really turned em around didn't it. I still think he needs to use the stick over the head method. For whatever reason, this team doesn't seem to feel any resposibility for their play. They still use the same old excuses, same old lines, we played good for the 1st period, we need to play 60 minutes, we didn't come out ready to play, blah blah blah.
I still think this is a team greatly divided, they just don't seem to play for each other, which might explain Quinn's complaints about individual type play. I agree with most that Moreau should go, I thinkk the Oilers are just trying to move him with dignity.

mactforcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Stoneman89

I'm not so sure about the "stick over the head" method with this collection. To me, they just seem to be too insecure and tentative, scared to make mistakes, and very, very mentally fragile. Willing to accept mediocrity. Just way too many of them with that type of mental makeup.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 01:15 PM
deanmoriarty

2 weeks ago Grebs was an elite d-man in the making, and now he's a bad contract and his development time is running out? Oilers fans are so bipolar.

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 01:23 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoognish View Post
2 weeks ago Grebs was an elite d-man in the making, and now he's a bad contract and his development time is running out? Oilers fans are so bipolar.
You just caught that now?

The Oilers were at 6-2-1 and the team was a playoff team, Quinn was NHL coach of the year and Penner was going to the Olympic team.

Now we have a drive for top 5 thread and DSF has already has his post about how it would be impossible for the Oilers to catch up already, Gilbert and Grebs should be traded for a bucket of pucks because it is obvious to anyone that they will never get any better.

Ah. The ectasy and the agony

There is rarely any in-between on Hockeysfuture but it is always interesting. It is like watching a train wreck, you just can't turn away.

Old
11-08-2009, 01:35 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:

Grebs is an elite d-man in the making...

I'm just sitting back & taking notes of those jumping ship at this moment in time.....

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 01:42 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Dont know anyone who is saying he has a bad contract. He does have one of the worst +/- in the league with a -8 and is tied for second worse give aways in the league with 22. Its hard to get excited about one of the worst statistical (defensively) players in the league. I would say at this point it is a blessing for us that he didnt sign a long term contract in the 3.5-4 mill range. To be honest, that is what I was hoping for.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 01:52 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
You just caught that now?

The Oilers were at 6-2-1 and the team was a playoff team, Quinn was NHL coach of the year and Penner was going to the Olympic team.

Now we have a drive for top 5 thread and DSF has already has his post about how it would be impossible for the Oilers to catch up already, Gilbert and Grebs should be traded for a bucket of pucks because it is obvious to anyone that they will never get any better.

Ah. The ectasy and the agony

There is rarely any in-between on Hockeysfuture but it is always interesting. It is like watching a train wreck, you just can't turn away.
Sure, misrepesent what I said.

FTR, I said, if the Oilers have a bad road trip, they will have dug themselves a hole that will be very difficult, not impossible to dig themselves out of.

For instance, if they lose 3 of the next 4, they would have only 17 points with 62 games remaining.

If the playoff cutoff is 92 points, they would need 75 points out of 62 games or about a 35-22-5 record the rest of the way.

Not impossible but not likely with this team.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 01:54 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
Sure, misrepesent what I said.

FTR, I said, if the Oilers have a bad road trip, they will have dug themselves a hole that will be very difficult, not impossible to dig themselves out of.

For instance, if they lose 3 of the next 4, they would have only 17 points with 62 games remaining.

If the playoff cutoff is 92 points, they would need 75 points out of 62 games or about a 35-22-5 record the rest of the way.

Not impossible but not likely with this team.
My whole post was basically an exaggeration (thus the smiley and the winkie) but the point was you are already sounding the death knell and you are not the only one but that post seemed like a good one to make my exaggerated point!

A little hyperbole is what I was after, though I am that far off in the reactions of many on this board from game to game.

Old
11-08-2009, 02:00 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
My whole post was basically an exaggeration (thus the smiley and the winkie) but the point was you are already sounding the death knell and you are not the only one but that post seemed like a good one to make my exaggerated point!

A little hyperbole is what I was after, though I am that far off in the reactions of many on this board from game to game.
Well, there are certainly mood swings here among those who can't see the big picture.

Then again I guess we could just keep calling the Oilers a "bubble team", whatever that means, and never be wrong.

Old
11-08-2009, 02:06 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Well, there are certainly mood swings here among those who can't see the big picture.

Then again I guess we could just keep calling the Oilers a "bubble team", whatever that means, and never be wrong.
If anything the swings are by those that assumed this club under new coaching direction was going to be radically different.

Many of us haven't had any high expectations going into this season.

From Quinn's faux OilerArmy marching into battle start this has been one big illusion.

We miss the playoffs 3 yrs in a row and the offseason answer is to pick up Mike Comrie who's hanging around the club on his own and begging to get a contract..

The due diligence of this org is amazing..

This management is the Oiler version of Norm Kimball. Except Kimball was notoriously cheap.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 02:07 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:

Good one. Though one of us made a prediction last year that seemed very silly to you.

One of us won that bet and one of us lost.

Is it 55 games Khabi has to play? Seems like I make a few predictions!

Since you love math how many games is Khabi on pace to play?

Old
11-08-2009, 02:10 PM
OntOilFan

Maybe the Oilers will be eliminated before February and I can take a winter vacation to Fiji and not miss any hockey?

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 02:14 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Good one. Though one of us made a prediction last year that seemed very silly to you.

One of us won that bet and one of us lost.

Is it 55 games Khabi has to play? Seems like I make a few predictions!

Since you love math how many games is Khabi on pace to play?
Depends when he pulls his groin.

Old
11-08-2009, 02:20 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
If anything the swings are by those that assumed this club under new coaching direction was going to be radically different.

Many of us haven't had any high expectations going into this season.

From Quinn's faux OilerArmy marching into battle start this has been one big illusion.

We miss the playoffs 3 yrs in a row and the offseason answer is to pick up Mike Comrie who's hanging around the club on his own and begging to get a contract..

The due diligence of this org is amazing..

This management is the Oiler version of Norm Kimball. Except Kimball was notoriously cheap.
I've thought from the start that this season was all about the new coaching staff evaluating the team and weeding the garden at the trade deadline.

To me, Comrie's signing was nothing more than a favour to his Dad since he doesn't bring anything to the team that it actually needs.

The Khabibulin signing still baffles me though.

Old
11-08-2009, 02:23 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Depends when he pulls his groin.
The difference between you and me. Is every bet and prediction I make about the Oilers isn't always negative.

Have you ever made a positive wager on the Oilers on this board?

Khabi might be the only Oiler that hasn't been injured this year.

Old
11-08-2009, 02:34 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
The difference between you and me. Is every bet and prediction I make about the Oilers isn't always negative.

Have you ever made a positive wager on the Oilers on this board?

Khabi might be the only Oiler that hasn't been injured this year.
I'm also taller and better looking.