HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What are the positives?

Old
11-08-2009, 01:46 PM
Arpeggio

vCash: 500
I don't really have any hope for this year's team. They look uninspired, and frankly they're not fun to watch. As long as Penner finishes with 70 points, I don't really care what happens. Wait till next season (sigh) when Eberle, MSP, and Omark show up to camp, as well as (hopefully) some new blood.

I think it's time to take this roster out back and put it out of it's misery. Not enough heart, no compete, and we've seen this for three years now. Keep Gagner, Cogliano, Penner, Hemsky, Souray, Visnovsky, and Smid, and let the rest of the roster dangle. Clear up some cap space, bring in every big FA third liner, and bring back Ron Low hockey.

Edit: My future roster would look like this:

Penner - Gagner - Hemsky
MSP - Cogliano - Eberle
Big Guy - Big Guy - Big Guy

Hopefully the bottom six is big, can skate a bit, play defensively responsible hockey, and can chip in a few goals. Shouldn't cost that much considering there's guys like this hanging around in FA every year. Here's a list of guys I'd target to build around this core:

Madden
Cullen
Nolan
Torres
Armstrong
Holmstrom
Ott
J. Williams
Cooke
Grier
Artyukhin
etc etc.

Those are the kind of players this team needs, guys who just know how to play the game, and play every shift hard. I threw Cooke in there, because this team needs to be tougher to play against. Sure, If Jagr wants to come, then I'll welcome him with open arms. But they absolutely need to make room for guys like this. Having four lines of average skill and no energy just isn't going to cut it any longer.

Last edited by Arpeggio: 11-08-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Arpeggio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 01:57 PM
oil country 83

I said over the summer this would be a make or break year for the vets! I am sitting on the fence of which way to go but Tambo definately has some interesting decisions to make.

I can honestly see this team going into a complete rebuild by february if were out of the mix.

Pull it together boys! this team can win. The bigger ? is why they don't! Good luck tambo!!

oil country 83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 02:01 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
I'm also taller and better looking.
Well I am sure you are most likely taller!

I am only 5'6.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 04:01 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
According to Stauffer he asked for 1.5 million (or something like that I can not remember the exact amount) from the Oilers who then asked him to wait.

He then signed in Calgary for less then what he originally asked Edmonton for!
Since we are all dealing with conjecture why not take it one step further...there could be a few reasons for Glencross signing with the Flames. One might be that he felt it might be worthwhile to give up some money up front for a longer term. Another factor may have been the opportunity to play on a better team and still be close to home.
A 3rd reason may be that the Flames felt Glencross was important enough to not put negotiations on hold....making it an issue of respect.
If true...tough to put any of the blame on Glencross.
Lowes apparent bungling of this is another matter all together.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 04:26 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Since we are all dealing with conjecture why not take it one step further...there could be a few reasons for Glencross signing with the Flames. One might be that he felt it might be worthwhile to give up some money up front for a longer term. Another factor may have been the opportunity to play on a better team and still be close to home.
A 3rd reason may be that the Flames felt Glencross was important enough to not put negotiations on hold....making it an issue of respect.
If true...tough to put any of the blame on Glencross.
Lowes apparent bungling of this is another matter all together.
How good would Glencross, Hejda and Kotalik look on the team right now?

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 04:32 PM
AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
I don't really have any hope for this year's team. They look uninspired, and frankly they're not fun to watch. As long as Penner finishes with 70 points, I don't really care what happens. Wait till next season (sigh) when Eberle, MSP, and Omark show up to camp, as well as (hopefully) some new blood.

I think it's time to take this roster out back and put it out of it's misery. Not enough heart, no compete, and we've seen this for three years now. Keep Gagner, Cogliano, Penner, Hemsky, Souray, Visnovsky, and Smid, and let the rest of the roster dangle. Clear up some cap space, bring in every big FA third liner, and bring back Ron Low hockey.

Penner - Gagner - Hemsky
MSP - Cogliano - Eberle

Hopefully the bottom six is big, can skate a bit, play defensively responsible hockey, and can chip in a few goals. Shouldn't cost that much considering there's guys like this hanging around in FA every year. Here's a list of guys I'd target to build around this core:

Madden
Cullen
Nolan
Torres
Armstrong
Holmstrom
Ott
J. Williams
Cooke
Grier
Artyukhin
etc etc.

Those are the kind of players this team needs, guys who just know how to play the game, and play every shift hard. I threw Cooke in there, because this team needs to be tougher to play against. Sure, If Jagr wants to come, then I'll welcome him with open arms. But they absolutely need to make room for guys like this. Having four lines of average skill and no energy just isn't going to cut it any longer.
Thats a big groan from me.

Though I always knew all of the choir against Mact was mainly based on their little players not getting the opportunity to run up their stats.

Persoanally Id rather watch a team thats trying to win games.

AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 04:36 PM
AM

Glencross asked for 2.5 million.

The problem Edmonton has is that they have alot of middling players. There wasnt any room for a middling player asking for 2.5 million based on a 30 game resume.

Peope forget that Glencross got the boot from his last team before coming to Edmonton.....

The hyperbole and short memories around here are legion.

Old
11-08-2009, 04:41 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

positive: when the Oilers were winning there was less traffic on this site as all the DSF's were staying away.

negative: Now that the Oilers are losing there are alot of stupid posts being made on here.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 06:12 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
How good would Glencross, Hejda and Kotalik look on the team right now?
Kotalik I am not sold on. His history leads me to think he will fade before too long. Hejda and Glencross on the other hand are 2 players that would make this a much harder team to play against.

Old
11-08-2009, 06:13 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM View Post

The problem Edmonton has is that they have alot of middling players. There wasnt any room for a middling player asking for 2.5 million based on a 30 game resume.

Peope forget that Glencross got the boot from his last team before coming to Edmonton.....

Speaking of hyperbole...care to disclose where you pulled the 2.5M number from?

Old
11-08-2009, 06:18 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:

The player himself said on national television that he never received an offer from the Oilers. So he waited, and waited and when his agent contacted the Oilers they told him that they would not be offering him a contract because they were going to use that money/cap space to sign Hossa.

This is better than any news report or second hand information. It came from the player himself.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 06:38 PM
AM

Quote:
Speaking of hyperbole...care to disclose where you pulled the 2.5M number from?
As reported on 1260 numerous times.

Though it might have been fro two years:
http://communities.canada.com/edmont...11/trrtrt.aspx

Price is beyond the point anyways, likely the main reason Glencross signed with the flames was opportunity.

Judging from his current salary and the numbers aes reported in the Journal, theres a large disparity which can be accounted for no other way.

Last edited by AM: 11-08-2009 at 06:44 PM.
Old
11-08-2009, 06:39 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
I never heard it.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 06:55 PM
JFJ fan212*

MacIntrye and Stortini are the positives so far. Bunch of BS that they are not on the first line. IMO

JFJ fan212* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Arpeggio

Quote:
Thats a big groan from me.

Though I always knew all of the choir against Mact was mainly based on their little players not getting the opportunity to run up their stats.

Persoanally Id rather watch a team thats trying to win games.
What are you saying? That team would win, they would compete, and they would be tough to play against. I don't even know what your stats comment means.

In hindsight, I'd actually keep O'Sullivan. He's been good, the points will come around soon enough for him.

Arpeggio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 01:08 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:

Though it might have been fro two years:
http://communities.canada.com/edmont...11/trrtrt.aspx

Price is beyond the point anyways, likely the main reason Glencross signed with the flames was opportunity.

Judging from his current salary and the numbers aes reported in the Journal, theres a large disparity which can be accounted for no other way.
Even Staples (in the link you provided) commented on the 1.5M asking price from the GlenX camp.
Thats consistent with every report I have heard.

Your 1260 claim of 2.5M is dubious at best.

Old
11-09-2009, 01:20 PM
AM

[QUOTE=guymez;22035027]Even Staples (in the link you provided) commented on the 1.5M asking price from the GlenX camp.

Your 1260 claim of 2.5M is dubious at best.[/QUOT

There is a difference between a one year and a two year contract.

Anyways my has to do with whether Edmonton wanted to pay a guy based on a small piece of work and with other contracts to consider.

Old
11-09-2009, 03:51 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Even Staples (in the link you provided) commented on the 1.5M asking price from the GlenX camp.

Quote:
There is a difference between a one year and a two year contract.

Anyways my has to do with whether Edmonton wanted to pay a guy based on a small piece of work and with other contracts to consider.
There was no reporting at all of a 2.5M contract for 1 year. I'm thinking you simply heard wrong.

In any event Lowes style was to role the dice on a home run and in the process valuable supporting players like Hedja and GlenX were overlooked. Thats a large part of why we are stuck watching this mess.
Thank goodness Oiler fans don't have to listen to that poor excuse for a GM anymore. Hopefully he has little or no input into player procurement these days because his legacy is more than enough.

Old
11-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
There was no reporting at all of a 2.5M contract for 1 year. I'm thinking you simply heard wrong.

In any event Lowes style was to role the dice on a home run and in the process valuable supporting players like Hedja and GlenX were overlooked. Thats a large part of why we are stuck watching this mess.
Thank goodness Oiler fans don't have to listen to that poor excuse for a GM anymore. Hopefully he has little or no input into player procurement these days because his legacy is more than enough.
Heres to hoping he keeps real busy with Team Canada. Maybe even a permanent position..

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 06:22 PM
AM

Quote:

I think Lowe did a good job and I'd be willing to listen to him anytime he has something to say.

Old
11-09-2009, 11:37 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
I think Lowe did a good job and I'd be willing to listen to him anytime he has something to say.
So, in keeping with the spirit of this thread, you're suggesting that Lowe has had more positive moments than negative?

I am curious to see the evidence as you interpret it.

Old
11-09-2009, 11:47 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
positive: when the Oilers were winning there was less traffic on this site as all the DSF's were staying away.

negative: Now that the Oilers are losing there are alot of stupid posts being made on here.
^^
Exhibit 'A'.

Old
11-10-2009, 02:35 PM
Tedi

vCash: 50
Quote:

Regardless...who cares, he choose Calgary (especially considering the money). I love how everyone on here has hindsight 20/20 vision. Always someone there to say I told you so. Every team in the league has made mistakes...draftees not taken, contracts not signed, etc etc. Teams like Pit were on the verge of collaspe prior to the Crosby/Malkin signings. So spare me the end of the Oilers world rhetoric, all doom and gloom, no positives, blah blah blah. IMO it is not nearly as bad as the 90's after the big sell off and this team has a solid owner and a vision for the future. IMO two of the biggest positives I can think of. But I know it's much more fun to dwell on past mistakes and habour resentment to anyone who can see a silver lining.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Tedi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post

Penner - Gagner - Hemsky
MSP - Cogliano - Eberle

Madden
Cullen
Nolan
Torres
Armstrong
Holmstrom
Ott
J. Williams
Cooke
Grier
Artyukhin
etc etc.

And what a fine hockey team that would be. Grinders and however has played the last 15 games well...plus 2 unproven rookies on the 2nd line. I would cut my wrists if I had to watch grind out plugger trap hockey...no thanks I'm already close enough with this current group. Precisely why you do what you do and the "professional hockey people" do what they do. Does anyone actually watch hockey for enjoyment anymore or is everyone an armchair/couch GM...I think there is actually some skill to the position and not just running trades on NHL2010 or fixing your cap on capgeek.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 06:54 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Regardless...who cares, he choose Calgary (especially considering the money). I love how everyone on here has hindsight 20/20 vision. Always someone there to say I told you so. Every team in the league has made mistakes...draftees not taken, contracts not signed, etc etc. Teams like Pit were on the verge of collaspe prior to the Crosby/Malkin signings. So spare me the end of the Oilers world rhetoric, all doom and gloom, no positives, blah blah blah. IMO it is not nearly as bad as the 90's after the big sell off and this team has a solid owner and a vision for the future. IMO two of the biggest positives I can think of. But I know it's much more fun to dwell on past mistakes and habour resentment to anyone who can see a silver lining.
What exactly are you rambling on about here?

Maybe if you bothered to spend a couple of minutes to read more than half a post in this thread your response might be a little more relevant.