HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What are the positives?

Old
11-12-2009, 11:38 AM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I think its a shame that people who are not mods decide in their own minds what is good or bad poster behavior and what is "stupid' "ridiculous" "absurd" or any of the other labels you feel justified in applying here or in other posts.

Its as if your perception of another posters behavior sanctions, and gives you license to not so indiscreetly attack another poster.

Anybody reading your comments can see exactly who it is directed to.

Ironically you assume and are affronted that the poster in question is " trying to make as many people as they can out to be stupid under the guise of "realism". When I can't find the label stupid in any of those posts.

Parse this with your own common use of deleterious labels describing others posts which you so freely use. All of the terms being easily more offensive than "realism".

The difference being you actually USE these labels while simultaneously being offended by your inferences and suspicions regarding other posters behavior.

Not only are you sanctioning the behavior you decry you are openly engaging in it. I can't even fathom that you wrote the bolded above.
I am not claiming impunity, but my point remains. This thread is a good synopsis of the board in general, IMO. What may have started out with good intentions by the OP degenerated into white noise.

I freely admit to having trouble with a specific poster in the past, and I have put that poster on ignore, and have asked him more than once to cease initiating conversation, but to no avail. If you think that I act this way to other posters in general, so be it. I would disagree, but you are entitled to your opinion.

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:43 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
I am not claiming impunity, but my point remains. This thread is a good synopsis of the board in general, IMO. What may have started out with good intentions by the OP degenerated into white noise.

I freely admit to having trouble with a specific poster in the past, and I have put that poster on ignore, and have asked him more than once to cease initiating conversation, but to no avail. If you think that I act this way to other posters in general, so be it. I would disagree, but you are entitled to your opinion.
The feature that would curtail a lot of this kind of stuff would be if the posters on your ignore list could not see your posts.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post

I appreciate the response.

It seems ineffective to put a poster on ignore but to then engage in commentary that is clearly about them. I'm also not clear how a poster can continue to engage you when you have them on ignore.

As for you doing this with other posters I've noted far less of that and especially in our exchanges and this too is appreciated.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:49 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
The feature that would curtail a lot of this kind of stuff would be if the posters on your ignore list could not see your posts.
I've specifically requested this as well. It makes sense.

But I don't know that its all too feasible to implement.

It also could conceivably limit a posters wish to see all the posts on the board if they had not chose to put anybody on ignore.

What I've suggested as well is a "mutual ignore" function at the agreement of both posters or in connection with mod advice.

Old
11-12-2009, 12:01 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I've specifically requested this as well. It makes sense.

But I don't know that its all too feasible to implement.

It also could conceivably limit a posters wish to see all the posts on the board if they had not chose to put anybody on ignore.

What I've suggested as well is a "mutual ignore" function at the agreement of both posters or in connection with mod advice.
People who continually berate, aggravate, and take joy in frustrating others should lose the right to see all the posts on the board. It would effectively be self moderated. It would be a positive feature where the benefits far outweigh any negatives.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
People who continually berate, aggravate, and take joy in frustrating others should lose the right to see all the posts on the board. It would effectively be self moderated. It would be a positive feature where the benefits far outweigh any negatives.
Yeah thats a fair comment I guess.

Old
11-12-2009, 01:24 PM
elpol
Re-Registered User

Quote:
The key word I focus in on is "continually". I think it goes without saying that perhaps a certain amount of latitude be granted for 'heat of the moment' kinds of discussions. At risk of contradicting myself, There should be no tolerance for personal attacks. There's simply no justification.

The disagreements I've witnessed tend to get cleared up in a reasonably civil fashion. Perhaps some of the more stubborn among us should be subjected to a "time-out"? I too, like the idea of a "mutual" ignore capability. The ultimate "agree to disagree", no?

elpol is offline   Reply With Quote