HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Another Jagr Rumour

Old
11-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Lobotomizer*

vCash: 500
Another Jagr Rumour

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...JYmgPEku1kX5zJ

"Jags and I text back and forth. I talked to him about six weeks ago," Renney said. "He's on our radar. He has NHL years ahead of him. No question."

Lobotomizer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 03:40 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomizer View Post
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...JYmgPEku1kX5zJ

"Jags and I text back and forth. I talked to him about six weeks ago," Renney said. "He's on our radar. He has NHL years ahead of him. No question."
well

He wont clear wiavers to get back into the NHL--someone would claim him

so there is no real need to talk about this guy till the off season

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 03:44 PM
Stoneman89

And here we go again. Cue the Jagr rumours as soon as the inevitible team scoring slump becomes bonafide.

Last edited by Stoneman89: 11-06-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 03:46 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
well

He wont clear wiavers to get back into the NHL--someone would claim him

Make a deal between Toronto or Carolina. They claim Jagr off waivers and trade him to us for a high pick.

I don't know if that is allowed though.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 03:47 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Make a deal between Toronto or Carolina. They claim Jagr off waivers and trade him to us for a high pick.

neither team will do the oilers that big of a favour--

also--I believe there is a rule against the team signing the guy and then trading for him within 12 months

Old
11-06-2009, 03:58 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:

I like it. It's slimey, but that's the way you have to roll sometimes.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 04:06 PM
MerryJ99

he could always refuse to report if another team claimed him...

MerryJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 04:21 PM
copperandblue897

Here we go again....he definitely is NOT going to solve the flaws of our line up.

-First like mentioned above we won't get a shot at him
-He may score some goals, help people around him play better, etc BUT would it give us a legit centre to win draws and play on the PK? NO. Does it add toughness and size? NO Would it all of a sudden make us shoot more?
-We don't have the cap space anyways.

copperandblue897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 04:26 PM
TheGreatone94

Bring him on he is the best player not in the league, greatest Euro of all time

TheGreatone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
neither team will do the oilers that big of a favour--

also--I believe there is a rule against the team signing the guy and then trading for him within 12 months
I remember Nycholt (sp) from Colorado got waived and claimed by Calgary who then got traded back (If I remember correctly). Correct me if I'm wrong.

Paralyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 04:34 PM
MePutPuckInNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
I like it. It's slimey, but that's the way you have to roll sometimes.
Fight dirt with dirt, man!

MePutPuckInNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 04:37 PM
Lobotomizer*

Quote:
well

and yet, here you are with multiple posts in this thread already.

Lobotomizer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Doswell

Quote:

Burke wouldn't give us (Lowe) a spot if he had the measles.

Doswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 04:52 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomizer View Post
and yet, here you are with multiple posts in this thread already.
Last 5 timess we had this topic--it turned into run away train with people over looking the fact that he needs to clear waivers

As for the Nycholet waiver thing--he was on waivers a few times and claimed by another team before getting traded back to the flammers

Old
11-06-2009, 05:06 PM
madmutter
I heff to be med

Why does he have to clear waivers? Was he not an NHL UFA before going to the KHL? What decides who gets first shot when he is on waivers? Is it just inverse league standings? Not disagreeing, just wondering how it works.

madmutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 05:24 PM
billranford30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Oilers View Post
I remember Nycholt (sp) from Colorado got waived and claimed by Calgary who then got traded back (If I remember correctly). Correct me if I'm wrong.
That's legal in most cases.

The rule that some are referring to is: a player cannot be traded to a team within one week of the waiver draft, and then be traded back to the original team that traded him away within the same season.

Reason it exists: in the 80s, a team (I believe Philly) basically hid a couple of players from the waiver draft on Winnipeg's roster. They traded them to Winnipeg for next to nothing, waited for the waiver draft to pass, then got them back for a little less nothing. Winnipeg ended up with a mid-round draft for their trouble, and Philly got to keep their players.

This rule popped up a few years ago for Dean McAmmond. He was traded to Colorado in a move that had nothing to do with the waiver draft, and then reaquired at the trade deadline. The NHL wouldn't let him play because it broke this little-known rule.

billranford30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 05:45 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryJ99 View Post
he could always refuse to report if another team claimed him...
What happens if a team claims him and he doesnt report? Is there a detriment to picking up a player if he wont play? Would that team have to leave someone unprotected?

If so, that could work if he wanted to play for Renney. He could say "I'm only playing for Renney. If you claim me, I'll just finish off the season in the KHL" and that could deter a team from claiming him and potentially losing one of their prospects for a player who wont report.

Cawz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 05:57 PM
sureloss

vCash: 50
Oh boy here we go again...

Its a clause in the CBA to prevent free agents from playing in other leagues then signing in the NHL after the start of the season at a pro-rated cap hit.

Section 13.23 of the CBA
Quote:
In the event a professional or former professional Player plays in a league outside North America after the start of the NHL Regular Season, other than on Loan from his Club, he may thereafter play in the NHL during that Playing Season (including Playoffs)only if he has first either cleared or been obtained via Waivers. For the balance of the Playing Season, any such Player who has been obtained via Waivers may be Traded or Loaned only after again clearing Waivers or through Waiver claim.
And the waivers would not be just for the teams below the Oilers in the case of Jagr. Look at the case of Wade Dubielewicz last season. The Islanders (at the time last place in the league) wanted to sign him even though he had played some games in Russia. However Columbus was able to claim him because when a player is put on waivers all other 29 teams get a chance to put a claim regardless of the waiving teams standings. In other words, if Edmonton signed Jagr then all the other teams could put a claim on him, not those just beneath Edmonton in the standings.

As for those suggesting a trade for Jagr to a team that claims him on waivers, that likely won't work either.

Section 13.20 b of the CBA
Quote:
A Player who has been acquired by Waiver claim shall not be Traded to another Club until the termination of Playoffs of the season in which he was acquired unless he is first offered on the same terms to the Club(s) that entered a claim when Waivers were requested originally and the offer has been refused.
So lets say Toronto picked up Jagr for the express purposes of trading him to the Oilers. The trade will not go through unless no one else in the NHL had put a claim on him and still wants him. The reason the Flames were able were to trade Nycholat after picking him up on waivers was either nobody else put a claim on him or they decided they didn't want him.

Those suggesting that Jagr will not report to another team. If I am another GM, I make the claim anyways. If Jagr doesn't play for my team I suspend him, don't lose anything, and at least he isn't making another team stronger.

sureloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 05:57 PM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by billranford30 View Post
That's legal in most cases.

The rule that some are referring to is: a player cannot be traded to a team within one week of the waiver draft, and then be traded back to the original team that traded him away within the same season.
I think people are referring to the rule that says you can't trade a player for 12 months after an offer sheet.

oil slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 06:07 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureloss View Post
Oh boy here we go again...

Its a clause in the CBA to prevent free agents from playing in other leagues then signing in the NHL after the start of the season at a pro-rated cap hit.

Section 13.23 of the CBA

And the waivers would not be just for the teams below the Oilers in the case of Jagr. Look at the case of Wade Dubielewicz last season. The Islanders (at the time last place in the league) wanted to sign him even though he had played some games in Russia. However Columbus was able to claim him because when a player is put on waivers all other 29 teams get a chance to put a claim regardless of the waiving teams standings. In other words, if Edmonton signed Jagr then all the other teams could put a claim on him, not those just beneath Edmonton in the standings.
So if he goes through waivers and 3 want him. How is it decided who gets him. Wouldnt the other teams who put in a claim have to deal with the same "29 other teams get a chance" deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureloss View Post
Those suggesting that Jagr will not report to another team. If I am another GM, I make the claim anyways. If Jagr doesn't play for my team I suspend him, don't lose anything, and at least he isn't making another team stronger.
If you claim him, wouldnt you have to waive or release a player on your roster to make room for the claim?

Old
11-06-2009, 06:22 PM
Cogliano13Gagner89

If it happens it won't be for this season but I would be on board with getting Jagr for next season. He surely won't be the 40-50 goal player he was just 3-4 years ago but he could still put up close to 30 goals and 60-70 points which on this team would be top 2 or 3.

Cogliano13Gagner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 06:58 PM
Mr Sakich

if we sign him to a 2 year 5 mill contract, I think he would clear waivers. Not a lot of teams would have the cap space and the desire to claim him.

We would have to do it before Souray comes back because we would be over the cap. Also, it would mean that two of Ethan , Staois, or Nilson would have to be disposed of.

This time of year is almost ideal as most teams who would want him are at the cap ceiling still. If we wait till the deadline, then a lot of teams might be able to afford him.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 07:03 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
if we sign him to a 2 year 5 mill contract, I think he would clear waivers. Not a lot of teams would have the cap space and the desire to claim him.

We would have to do it before Souray comes back because we would be over the cap. Also, it would mean that two of Ethan , Staois, or Nilson would have to be disposed of.

This time of year is almost ideal as most teams who would want him are at the cap ceiling still. If we wait till the deadline, then a lot of teams might be able to afford him.
Our of curiosity, Did you spell "gigolo" incorrectly on purpose?

Old
11-06-2009, 07:22 PM
Wise_one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Oilers View Post
Nycholt came from Van to Calgary then traded to Colorado.

Wise_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964
Russian GM: Congratulations comrade Jagr! You have successfully completed your tour of duty in your Mother Land. Good luck in the NHL.

Jagr: Thank you Comrade! *beep blup blap beep blit* ................Hello Steve?

Tambo: Hey Champ! Great to hear from you!

Jagr: Listen, Steve, we gotta talk. I'm going through a transition right now.....I need some time to think.....

Tambo: But you said....

Jagr: I know. It's not you, it's me man. I'm sorry.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote