HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Another Jagr Rumour

Old
11-06-2009, 08:52 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
So if he goes through waivers and 3 want him. How is it decided who gets him. Wouldnt the other teams who put in a claim have to deal with the same "29 other teams get a chance" deal?
I'm curious about this too. If lets say the Oilers and 4 other teams put a claim in on him, how is it decided where the player goes?

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 09:08 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
I'm curious about this too. If lets say the Oilers and 4 other teams put a claim in on him, how is it decided where the player goes?
Im pretty sure the Isles would get first chance at him.. it goes from lowest in the standings the previous season.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 09:10 PM
Rin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
neither team will do the oilers that big of a favour--

also--I believe there is a rule against the team signing the guy and then trading for him within 12 months

How is that a big favour from them to us?? They aren't losing anything at all by doing it, and are still gaining something in the process.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 10:03 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilGagner89 View Post
Im pretty sure the Isles would get first chance at him.. it goes from lowest in the standings the previous season.
I don't think so. Someone else said all the teams would get to put a claim in which means it doesn't go by standings.

Regular waiver claims if I remember correctly go by current standings, not last years.

Of course I'm no expert. If someone could clarify that would be great

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 10:14 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
I don't think so. Someone else said all the teams would get to put a claim in which means it doesn't go by standings.

Regular waiver claims if I remember correctly go by current standings, not last years.

waiver claims are based upon current standings--

BTW

all 29 teams would have to pass on JJ--not jsut the ones below the oilers

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 10:43 PM
Alawishis

Unless we could swing some kind of deal with his KHL club to get him on-loan then he would not have to clear wavers. They (KHL) seem to like small skilled Swedes maybe send them Nilsson in exchange ... I mean loan. Only they never have to send him back.

Alawishis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 10:51 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alawishis View Post
Unless we could swing some kind of deal with his KHL club to get him on-loan then he would not have to clear wavers. They (KHL) seem to like small skilled Swedes maybe send them Nilsson in exchange ... I mean loan. Only they never have to send him back.
yes he would

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 11:00 PM
Wheatking

Can someone explain to me why he would have to clear waivers? I thought people were saying last season that he wouldn't have to this season. Something about if Omsk is out of the playoffs by the trade deadline the team would just terminate his contract and he would be a UFA.

What would be the difference between Jagr signing with us and Sundin signing with the Canucks if he didn't have a contract?

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Alawishis

Quote:
yes he would
Well they probably mean he's exempt from waivers if we loaned him to the Russians and he was coming back from that. But hey maybe it's a loophole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section 13.23 of the CBA
In the event a professional or former professional Player plays in a league outside North America after the start of the NHL Regular Season, other than on Loan from his Club, he may thereafter play in the NHL during that Playing Season (including Playoffs)only if he has first either cleared or been obtained via Waivers. For the balance of the Playing Season, any such Player who has been obtained via Waivers may be Traded or Loaned only after again clearing Waivers or through Waiver claim.

Old
11-06-2009, 11:12 PM
Alawishis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
Can someone explain to me why he would have to clear waivers? I thought people were saying last season that he wouldn't have to this season. Something about if Omsk is out of the playoffs by the trade deadline the team would just terminate his contract and he would be a UFA.

What would be the difference between Jagr signing with us and Sundin signing with the Canucks if he didn't have a contract?
Well Sundin didn't play in another league at the start of the season. Jagr could have started this season with us and not had to clear waivers but now that we are well into the season it's different. Foppa may have to clear as well since he was playing in the SEL.

Old
11-06-2009, 11:24 PM
Cawz

Quote:

I would assume it would go by current standings, as per regular waivers.

It says "he may thereafter play in the NHL only if he has first either cleared or been obtained via Waivers". So if he clears, he can play anywhere. But he has to clear waivers first, which is worst to best for the picking order. I dont see how it would be anything else.

At the rate the team is going, we could be picking him first in a couple weeks anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post

I thought people said after this season he can sign anywhere, but not this season. I dunno why, becasue I thought the NHL didnt have an agreement with the Euro leagues, and I assume Jagr doesnt currently have a contract with an NHL team. So yeah, I'm kind of curious about that too.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 11:25 PM
OilerBoy888*

Quote:
well

He wont clear wiavers to get back into the NHL--someone would claim him

so there is no real need to talk about this guy till the off season
Last year, he won't clear waivers, this year, same deal again? What's this waiver nonsense? That means we'll never get him regardless.

OilerBoy888* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 11:29 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Well Sundin didn't play in another league at the start of the season. Jagr could have started this season with us and not had to clear waivers but now that we are well into the season it's different. Foppa may have to clear as well since he was playing in the SEL.
That may be it, but I thought the NHL didnt have an agreement with the Euro leagues. Maybe its been resolved now, as I havent really been following along lately.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 11:30 PM
OilerBoy888*

I got an idea, the Oilers sign him, then he gets picked up by that waiver nonsense by Brian Burke, Jagr pouts and doesn't want to play, pisses off Burke. Tells Burke, trade me to the Oilers or I'll make a fool out of you, and you better call Lowe and say you're sorry about making a fiasco over the Penner deal.

Old
11-06-2009, 11:32 PM
OilerBoy888*

Quote:
I didn't hear anything about Foppa needing to clear, therefore, why would Jagr need to clear. In Vancouver, the gong show hosts on 1040 says they're going to make a run for Forsberg without mentioning waivers.

Old
11-07-2009, 02:09 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Ok guys I'm very confused.

If you check out the thread in trades saying that the Rangers are scouting Forsberg I questioned whether or not he'd have to clear waivers and people told me he wouldn't. I was patronized for thinking he would have to clear waivers.

So there's no worry about clearing waivers.

2nd issue is cap space. What do you mean we don't have cap space?

With the money made up so far from losing guys to injuries... how much cap space has that amounted to?

Jagr-Horcoff-Hemsky
Penner-Gagner-Brule
Stone-Comrie-O'Sullivan
JFJ/Bigmac-Cogliano-Pisani/Stortini

Lubo-Smid
Souray-Grebs
Gilbert-Chorney/Strudwick

There we've now got 2 extra forwards and an extra defenseman. All four forward lines have sugar, spice and chemistry. All 3 defensive pairings have An offensive guy and a man who's defensively responsible.

I've waived: Moreau, Nilson and Staios. That's 3.45M(minus the games they've played) cap space for us. We could also waive Pisani for an extra 1.25M in space(minus the games he's played. I doubt we'll keep Pouliot. there's another 412K in space. Plus add on the cap space we're getting back with guys on the IR.

Souray - 65K per game
Horcoff - 67K per game
Lubo - 68K per game
Smid - 16.5K per game
Pisani - 30K per game
Comrie - 15K per game

(I'm not sure if it counts against the cap if you're not on the IR.... if it doesn't then some of these guys games missed don't change anything.)

I'm not saying I have any faith whatsoever that Jagr will come... but I think we have the cap space. I don't think anyone is going to sign him for 5+ mill. And if we wanted to we could easily clear at least 4M space for him.

Thoughts?

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 02:46 AM
surshot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Ok guys I'm very confused.

If you check out the thread in trades saying that the Rangers are scouting Forsberg I questioned whether or not he'd have to clear waivers and people told me he wouldn't. I was patronized for thinking he would have to clear waivers.

So there's no worry about clearing waivers.

2nd issue is cap space. What do you mean we don't have cap space?

With the money made up so far from losing guys to injuries... how much cap space has that amounted to?

Jagr-Horcoff-Hemsky
Penner-Gagner-Brule
Stone-Comrie-O'Sullivan
JFJ/Bigmac-Cogliano-Pisani/Stortini

Lubo-Smid
Souray-Grebs
Gilbert-Chorney/Strudwick

There we've now got 2 extra forwards and an extra defenseman. All four forward lines have sugar, spice and chemistry. All 3 defensive pairings have An offensive guy and a man who's defensively responsible.

I've waived: Moreau, Nilson and Staios. That's 3.45M(minus the games they've played) cap space for us. We could also waive Pisani for an extra 1.25M in space(minus the games he's played. I doubt we'll keep Pouliot. there's another 412K in space. Plus add on the cap space we're getting back with guys on the IR.

Souray - 65K per game
Horcoff - 67K per game
Lubo - 68K per game
Smid - 16.5K per game
Pisani - 30K per game
Comrie - 15K per game

(I'm not sure if it counts against the cap if you're not on the IR.... if it doesn't then some of these guys games missed don't change anything.)

I'm not saying I have any faith whatsoever that Jagr will come... but I think we have the cap space. I don't think anyone is going to sign him for 5+ mill. And if we wanted to we could easily clear at least 4M space for him.

Thoughts?
I think if he was coming this season he would be here right now. The only hope is if he misses the playoffs in the KHL. I think he is here next season for sure though.

Interesting about Forseberg not having to clear waivers when i thought or atleast told on here Jagr has to. Maybe something to do with the IIHF agreements or lack of in russia. Is Forsberg even signed with MODO? He probably playing for free since its his dads team or something.

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 02:49 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by surshot View Post
I think if he was coming this season he would be here right now. The only hope is if he misses the playoffs in the KHL. I think he is here next season for sure though.

Interesting about Forseberg not having to clear waivers when i thought or atleast told on here Jagr has to. Maybe something to do with the IIHF agreements or lack of in russia. Is Forsberg even signed with MODO? He probably playing for free since its his dads team or something.
TSN has reported that he hasn't signed a contract with anyone. (Forsberg)

Old
11-07-2009, 02:54 AM
surshot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
TSN has reported that he hasn't signed a contract with anyone. (Forsberg)
Well if he is a legit free agent then maybe thats the reason for the not having to clear waivers and Jagr has to because he is signed. Oh well not my area of expertise.

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 07:08 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by surshot View Post
Well if he is a legit free agent then maybe thats the reason for the not having to clear waivers and Jagr has to because he is signed. Oh well not my area of expertise.
Jagr does have a contract with the KHl... and the NHL supposedly has some kind of agreement which prevents them from stealing players with contracts.

Is this the last year of Jagr's contract? I wonder if a KHL team would sign him to crazy money again or if he'd come back.

Old
11-07-2009, 08:24 AM
sureloss

The reason Forsberg does not have to clear waivers and Jagr does is because of section 13.23 that has already been posted numerous times in this thread already.

Quote:
In the event a professional or former professional Player plays in a league outside North America after the start of the NHL Regular Season, other than on Loan from his Club, he may thereafter play in the NHL during that Playing Season (including Playoffs)only if he has first either cleared or been obtained via Waivers. For the balance of the Playing Season, any such Player who has been obtained via Waivers may be Traded or Loaned only after again clearing Waivers or through Waiver claim.
Jagr has played games in another league after the start of the NHL season.

Forsberg did play for Modo briefly, but his contract ended BEFORE the start of the NHL season. The tournaments that Forsberg is playing now don't affect his waiver eligibility.

sureloss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 11:43 AM
TowMater14

Any of you who don't think that Jagr can help this team out is delusional.

TowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

A lil OT, but Nylander has been waived by the Caps.

http://twitter.com/TSNBobMckenzie

Now, lets just say that the Caps put him on re-entry for a 2.4M cap hit for this year and next. Nylander reunited with Jagr and with Renney behind the bench again next year could be something.

The probelm is I wouldn't want Nylander for this year... heh.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 12:23 PM
One Trick Pony*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
A lil OT, but Nylander has been waived by the Caps.

http://twitter.com/TSNBobMckenzie

Now, lets just say that the Caps put him on re-entry for a 2.4M cap hit for this year and next. Nylander reunited with Jagr and with Renney behind the bench again next year could be something.

The probelm is I wouldn't want Nylander for this year... heh.
I would gladly take Nylander on this team with Souray's cap relief on LTIR. The reason Nylander couldn't flourish playing next to Ovechkin was because Ovy's all about finishing off the rush, whereas Nylander likes to set up in the offensive zone. He would be great playing on a line with Penner.

Penner-Nylander-O'Sullivan
Comrie-Horcoff-Hemsky
Cogliano-Gagner-Pisani
Moreau-Stone-Brule

Grebeshkov-Visnovsky
Smid-Gilbert
Chorney-Staios

One Trick Pony* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 12:26 PM
One Trick Pony*

Jagr on this team next year would be incredible.

Jagr-Gagner-Hemsky
MPS-Eberle-Penner
Stone-Horcoff-Brule
Moreau-Stortini-Jacques

Souray-Gilbert
Smid-Visnovsky
Chorney-Staios

One Trick Pony* is offline   Reply With Quote