HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

what if Jacques Martin becomes GM?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-07-2009, 06:23 AM
  #1
Crusher20
Registered User
 
Crusher20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Ecuador
Posts: 4,645
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
what if Jacques Martin becomes GM?

Some people brought that up, I myself tought about it putting myself in Martin's shoes but will it happen would the Molson's consider it? Would it be really a good move (what is Martin's GM trading history other tham jokinen for ballard, boynton and a pick?) What about Guy Boucher etc...

I am really curious to have your opinion on this.

Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 06:34 AM
  #2
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,441
vCash: 500
Well, people will say what they want about Gainey, but I prefer him over Martin as GM. But Boucher, I can't wait to see him as a coach in Montreal. Everything he touches turns to gold in no time. Just look at the Dogs this year, 2nd best team in the AHL behind Rochester, and he's had his hand on them for only two months. This guy is something special, we might just have the next best coach in the NHL. Maybe not the next Bowman, but close.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 06:44 AM
  #3
beowulf
Poster of the Year!
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,040
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Martin is no GM and I would never ever want him to be the GM in Montreal. There is a reason that teams no longer have one person doing both jobs for any extended period these days. With all the considerations with regards to salary cap and talking to 29 other GMs etc just to much work for one person.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 06:48 AM
  #4
Crusher20
Registered User
 
Crusher20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Ecuador
Posts: 4,645
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Well, people will say what they want about Gainey, but I prefer him over Martin as GM. But Boucher, I can't wait to see him as a coach in Montreal. Everything he touches turns to gold in no time. Just look at the Dogs this year, 2nd best team in the AHL behind Rochester, and he's had his hand on them for only two months. This guy is something special, we might just have the next best coach in the NHL. Maybe not the next Bowman, but close.
That's one of the reasons I say that its won't be long before he gets the calls for a. Nhl head coach position I think if martin is due to remain coach that boucher is brought up to replace muller (wich is possible condidering he wasn't martins pick) as for gainey I think sooner than rather than later he will step down maybe Molsons will hire Patrick Roy as gm? Who knows....

Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 06:54 AM
  #5
beowulf
Poster of the Year!
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,040
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher20 View Post
That's one of the reasons I say that its won't be long before he gets the calls for a. Nhl head coach position I think if martin is due to remain coach that boucher is brought up to replace muller (wich is possible condidering he wasn't martins pick) as for gainey I think sooner than rather than later he will step down maybe Molsons will hire Patrick Roy as gm? Who knows....
I don't get your reasoning at all. Why would boucher replace muller? If Martin kept him there is a reason. Why would Gainey step down? His team this year is off to a decent start considering the injuries, new players and especially missing Markov for 4 months.

Worst part is the idea of Roy as GM, no thanks.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 06:56 AM
  #6
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
I don't get your reasoning at all. Why would boucher replace muller? If Martin kept him there is a reason. Why would Gainey step down? His team this year is off to a decent start considering the injuries, new players and especially missing Markov for 4 months.

Worst part is the idea of Roy as GM, no thanks.
I miss Markov too

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 07:09 AM
  #7
Crusher20
Registered User
 
Crusher20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Ecuador
Posts: 4,645
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
I don't get your reasoning at all. Why would boucher replace muller? If Martin kept him there is a reason. Why would Gainey step down? His team this year is off to a decent start considering the injuries, new players and especially missing Markov for 4 months.

Worst part is the idea of Roy as GM, no thanks.
First of all everything here hypothetic at this point I don't say it would be good or bad but more like trying to see what are the possilities at this point. As for our season so far ... 1 regulation win... Amazing luck will turn around eventually I guess.. Not impressed at all. Can't blame Martin the offense terrible. And defense as well (because of injuries) as for Roy I mention him because the molson know him and they probably won't let him again be stolen by colorado, I know the results could be bad but the opposite could be said too.

Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 07:27 AM
  #8
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher20 View Post
First of all everything here hypothetic at this point I don't say it would be good or bad but more like trying to see what are the possilities at this point. As for our season so far ... 1 regulation win... Amazing luck will turn around eventually I guess.. Not impressed at all. Can't blame Martin the offense terrible. And defense as well (because of injuries) as for Roy I mention him because the molson know him and they probably won't let him again be stolen by colorado, I know the results could be bad but the opposite could be said too.
Dude, both offense and defense are significantly lowered by Markov's absence, hence injuries. He's the #1 guy in our team that stops the other team's first line every night, and he's our #1 one guy to pass the puck in the offensive zone or in transition or to get out of the D zone. With OB and Gill back in the lineup, our D depth would be better, but were stil talking about every defender on the team playing one notch or two over their usual responsibilities and ther offence missing its general. When I think injuries we have right now.. to me there's no s in the word, Markov takes such a big chunk of that meaning right now.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 07:44 AM
  #9
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher20 View Post
Some people brought that up, I myself tought about it putting myself in Martin's shoes but will it happen would the Molson's consider it? Would it be really a good move (what is Martin's GM trading history other tham jokinen for ballard, boynton and a pick?) What about Guy Boucher etc...

I am really curious to have your opinion on this.
Wasn't he just doing that job in florida/ If so, not the best example of a rebuilding team

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 07:47 AM
  #10
BeastScottThornton*
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 400
vCash: 500
It wouldn't be as ideal a scenario as Martin becoming GM and Timmins getting demoted in favor of a legitimate head scout. Then we'd be getting somewhere.

BeastScottThornton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 08:22 AM
  #11
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,923
vCash: 500
Let's face it JM meets all the required and optional criteria :

1) French
2) Has experience

I really think as an organization there should be time invested in finding the next great hockey executive. If it takes years, then so be it, but the positon should not be filled like you're back filling the floor manager position at a Mcdonalds.

I am going to guess that succession planning was a part of the discussions between JM and BG/Boivin and that all have a decent idea of what the future brings. My bet is on JM being the GM and soon.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 08:32 AM
  #12
Craig71
Registered User
 
Craig71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,805
vCash: 500
It will happen.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 08:37 AM
  #13
la25ecoupe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,547
vCash: 500
How's long's JM's contract..

Btw, in french, Jaques' already a "GM"..

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 08:46 AM
  #14
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
How's long's JM's contract..

3 or 4.. can't remember which


Quote:
Btw, in french, Jaques' already a "GM"..
Wut??

IS that some veiled joke about his big ears?

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 09:19 AM
  #15
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastScottThornton View Post
It wouldn't be as ideal a scenario as Martin becoming GM and Timmins getting demoted in favor of a legitimate head scout. Then we'd be getting somewhere.


you should do stand up

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 09:19 AM
  #16
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK
 
therealkoho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: the Prior
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,817
vCash: 500
Good move on the part of the Habs, Jack Martin for GM, but would Gainey be kicked upstairs?

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 09:23 AM
  #17
CanadienErrant*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Cook Islands
Posts: 4,956
vCash: 500
Martin didn't like the GM's experience. He prefers to coach.

Gainey won't be fired. He will quit on his own. This year's final results will tell him clearly to stay or to go.

Boucher is doing well at AHL level right now. Kids are praising his coaching/teaching skills. Leave him there for at least a year or two... But don't loose him to coach at NHL level for another organization !

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 09:27 AM
  #18
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,405
vCash: 500
I think you guys have it all wrong here and want changes for the sake of change.

I love Martin as a coach but not as a GM. I don't think he liked the role in Florida and he would be canibalised in Montreal. Gainey has a far better track record as a GM then Martin has and is well suited for the role with his cool, calm demneor.

As for Boucher in place of Martin, it's definately a step back. Martin has over a 1000 games experience in the NHL, has a proven track record for success and is doing a great job whipping our boys back into shape and developing an actual system! As good as Boucher is (and I think he is) he could still use a few years in the A to hone his skills and get better as a coach. Remeber that the coaching pergatory the Habs have been in with rookie coaches after Demers?? How quickly we forget.

I think the staus quo is perfectly fine for now and no need rushing people to bigger roles that theż aren't ready or want to be in.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 09:30 AM
  #19
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I think you guys have it all wrong here and want changes for the sake of change.

I love Martin as a coach but not as a GM. I don't think he liked the role in Florida and he would be canibalised in Montreal. Gainey has a far better track record as a GM then Martin has and is well suited for the role with his cool, calm demneor.

As for Boucher in place of Martin, it's definately a step back. Martin has over a 1000 games experience in the NHL, has a proven track record for success and is doing a great job whipping our boys back into shape and developing an actual system! As good as Boucher is (and I think he is) he could still use a few years in the A to hone his skills and get better as a coach. Remeber that the coaching pergatory the Habs have been in with rookie coaches after Demers?? How quickly we forget.

I think the staus quo is perfectly fine for now and no need rushing people to bigger roles that theż aren't ready or want to be in.
Obviously, we won't see Boucher yet, but I can't wait to see him here in the future. In the meantime, Martin is nothing to sneer at.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 02:26 PM
  #20
smon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,982
vCash: 500
Well, he couldn't turn Florida into a playoff team.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 02:49 PM
  #21
BeastScottThornton*
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post


you should do stand up
I would, except Timmins and Gainey have been hogging the stage for 6 years now.

BeastScottThornton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 04:35 PM
  #22
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,350
vCash: 243
Martin for GM in 2010

I'm starting to really like Jaques Martin. I like the systems he's implemented, I like the way we've done ok without Markov. I liked the way he gave Halak a chance to continue to play.

One of the biggest complaints around here has always been around developing our prospects. Whether its been the Russian's or having problem players like Ribeiro etc.... and recently the Sergei Kostitsyn handling.

The reason why I mention this now is because I just read an article about how he handled Price when he was playing Halak.

The Article is here and in french but I read it through google translate. What I really liked is how he met with Price during this time and let him know what was going on and where he stood.

Price has been mishandled by Carbonneau and Gainey imo and I like the way Martin is handling him, the way he went to see him in the summer.

Martin seems to understand how to develop young players, that you need to coddle them to a degree but that your still the boss and will send them a message at the same time.

Many believed that the confidence of Carey Price had been affected in recent weeks. Jacques Martin had the chance to meet his guardian to discuss and he says he never detected a lack of confidence in him.

"I had a meeting with Carey (Price) last week. We evaluated its performance so far. We agreed on certain things he must continue to work and improve. It was an opportunity to tell him my feelings, but I never felt that his confidence was affected."


I don't know if Gainey will retire next summer but I'm starting to warm up to the thought of Martin replacing him eventually.

macavoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 04:41 PM
  #23
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,282
vCash: 500
There is no way that i want JM for GM in Montreal. He did so well in Florida that you want him right ?

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 04:45 PM
  #24
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I'm starting to really like Jaques Martin. I like the systems he's implemented, I like the way we've done ok without Markov. I liked the way he gave Halak a chance to continue to play.

One of the biggest complaints around here has always been around developing our prospects. Whether its been the Russian's or having problem players like Ribeiro etc.... and recently the Sergei Kostitsyn handling.

The reason why I mention this now is because I just read an article about how he handled Price when he was playing Halak.

The Article is here and in french but I read it through google translate. What I really liked is how he met with Price during this time and let him know what was going on and where he stood.

Price has been mishandled by Carbonneau and Gainey imo and I like the way Martin is handling him, the way he went to see him in the summer.

Martin seems to understand how to develop young players, that you need to coddle them to a degree but that your still the boss and will send them a message at the same time.

Many believed that the confidence of Carey Price had been affected in recent weeks. Jacques Martin had the chance to meet his guardian to discuss and he says he never detected a lack of confidence in him.

"I had a meeting with Carey (Price) last week. We evaluated its performance so far. We agreed on certain things he must continue to work and improve. It was an opportunity to tell him my feelings, but I never felt that his confidence was affected."


I don't know if Gainey will retire next summer but I'm starting to warm up to the thought of Martin replacing him eventually.
There's Coaches and then there's GM's... Different jobs and different responsibilities.

Besides the fact, JM was GM of Florida, and he did not hide the fact that he prefers and feels more comfortable behind the bench.

The only threat to Bob Gainey is Brian Boucher... if the team goes through rough season, and decides a change in GM is necessary, they may give JM a break (and since he has a long contract) they may just put him in as GM and Boucher as head coach.... but really, there's no indication that he'll be a good gm, or a better one than BG.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 04:45 PM
  #25
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Well, people will say what they want about Gainey, but I prefer him over Martin as GM. But Boucher, I can't wait to see him as a coach in Montreal. Everything he touches turns to gold in no time. Just look at the Dogs this year, 2nd best team in the AHL behind Rochester, and he's had his hand on them for only two months. This guy is something special, we might just have the next best coach in the NHL. Maybe not the next Bowman, but close.
close to the next bowman...

i appreciate your enthusiasm, but let's give the guy a year or two of coaching professionals before we anoint him as the greatest coach in NHL history.


You gotta love what we've seen from him so far, but remember that coaching Juniors, coaching AHLer's and coaching an NHL team all have different challenges.

I'd even say that the junior ranks/AHL are likely more similar than the NHL. Coaching a room full of guys, many of which earn a bigger salary than you, and many of which are so established that complacency is very easy to come by, is a lot different than working with a group of guys who almost all have something to prove/ambition past that level.

I hope Boucher gets a few seasons in the AHL, and if he succeeds (result-wise, developing the young talent AND getting the most out of guys, like Sergei, who are potential head cases), then he gets brought into the NHL picture in a good situation (team on the rise, GM that hires him safe in his spot for a while, expectations of the team reasonable).

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.