HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Caps waive Nylander (Again)

Old
11-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Vitto79

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
The Caps don't want other teams trash for their trash.
well what about Re-entry........I figure Rangers may take him for half given their history with him and their need for a C........they could go the Forsberg route but who the heck knows what will happen their. At this time their C's are likely Prospal, Anisimov, Boyle and then a guy like Higgins who usualy plays the wing

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 01:56 PM
Hooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
BTW

That pounding you are hearing is every oiler fan pounding their clentched fist on the bar laughing their collective ***** off at this move

Mrs Nylander is very popular in Edmonton right now for telling her husband he couldnot sign there
Yeah, he would have really thrown a wrench in the dynasty.

Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 01:56 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

The Caps probably have zero interest bringing him on re entry.

The object for the Caps is to reduce the Cap hit as best as possible. A claim on initial waivers or letting him go to Europe would be the best option.

I don't think the object is to pay half of his salary for his contract.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 02:01 PM
boredmale

If the caps let him play in Europe, do they still have to pay him? I am guessing it's against leagues rules to allow a player to go to Europe and have that team pay part of his salary.

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 02:12 PM
C-A-P-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBloodyBeast View Post
It's not over yet. I don't see any team claiming him. And I believe he would have to agree on playing overseas.
Its over as far as a cap hit is concerned. The Caps will never put him on reentry waivers and risk no one claiming him and putting them back in cap-hell.

They still pay his salary but the important part is that the 4.875 million dollar cap hit is gone which enables them to actually call up decent prospects like ALzner and Carlson as well as give them flexibility to make a trade deadline addition.

C-A-P-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 02:49 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
If the caps let him play in Europe, do they still have to pay him? I am guessing it's against leagues rules to allow a player to go to Europe and have that team pay part of his salary.
The Caps pay him his full salary, and they negotiate with the European team to reimburse them for some portion of it.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Per Bob McKenzie's twitter, Nylander clears waivers.

Per the Washington Capitals beat writers (Post blog / twitter and Times blog / twitter), GM George McPhee will be addressing the Nylander situation later today.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 12:13 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Per Bob McKenzie's twitter, Nylander clears waivers.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 12:31 PM
njdevil26

I actually think the Devils could use him. Our forward corps would be pretty deep:

Parise-Zajac-Langenbrunner
Elias-Nylander-Bergfors
Rolston-Zubrus-Clarkson
Pandolfo-Niedermayer-Halischuk

With Peters/Pelley/Leblond/Pikkarainen rotating in on the fourth line.

njdevil26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 01:21 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
The Caps pay him his full salary, and they negotiate with the European team to reimburse them for some portion of it.
Are you sure about that? I sort of think that an unfair situation. Let's say the caps can get a team to pay 2M of his salary, that sort of let's them off a bit for signing it in the first place.

While I know his salary won't effect Washington's Salary Cap, I still think they should be responsible for every penny of his contract without outside help(ie it should effect the Caps Bottom line)

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 01:26 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Are you sure about that? I sort of think that an unfair situation. Let's say the caps can get a team to pay 2M of his salary, that sort of let's them off a bit for signing it in the first place.

While I know his salary won't effect Washington's Salary Cap, I still think they should be responsible for every penny of his contract without outside help(ie it should effect the Caps Bottom line)
The Caps are absolutely paying Nylander his full $5.5 million this season and $3.0 next...they are just attempting to re-coup some of that from a team that will be using his services.

In a sense...it is salary camp circumvention...but the player is still getting paid and in this case has the right to agree or refuse any such deal since he has the NMC.

Old
11-09-2009, 01:55 PM
RedMenace
100% Less Babcock

Sweet Christ on a stick.

Washington will NOT put him on re-entry waivers.

As of right now, they are off the hook for his ENTIRE salary as far as THE CAP is concerned. Yes, they still have to pay him, but his salary does not count against THE CAP as long as he goes to another -- ANY other -- team.

If he were to come back through re-entry waivers, Washington would have half his salary BACK ON THE CAP. Right now, they have ZERO.

Get it through the heads, people -- when it comes to THE CAP, $0 > $2.5M. Period. THE END.

SALARY CAP. THE SALARY CAP. That's what this is about.

In case you missed it, this is about THE SALARY CAP.

Last edited by RedMenace: 11-09-2009 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Clarification.
RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 01:57 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
Sweet Christ on a stick.

Washington will NOT put him on re-entry waivers.

As of right now, they are off the hook for his ENTIRE salary as far as THE CAP is concerned. Yes, they still have to pay him, but his salary does not count against THE CAP.

If he were to come back through re-entry waivers, Washington would have half his salary BACK ON THE CAP. Right now, they have ZERO.

Get it through the heads, people -- when it comes to THE CAP, $0 > $2.5M. Period. THE END.

SALARY CAP. THE SALARY CAP. That's what this is about.

In case you missed it, this is about THE SALARY CAP.
By the way....you're wrong.

His $4.875 is still counted towards the cap until he's assigned to another team, which hasn't happened yet, since he has the NMC.

It's setting up for a KHL loan (he has to clear waivers in order for a loan to take place, hence him agreeing to be placed on waivers)...but as of this minute...he still counts towards the cap.

As for the re-entry thing...you've got that down. Ain't happening.

Old
11-09-2009, 01:59 PM
Foy

Quote:

any time you have a player under contract to an NHL organization playing in the minors, a portion of that players' salary is paid by the minor league club under an agreement between the NHL club and the minor league club. A loan to the KHL would operate under the same premises.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 02:01 PM
RedMenace
100% Less Babcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
By the way....you're wrong.

His $4.875 is still counted towards the cap until he's assigned to another team, which hasn't happened yet, since he has the NMC.

It's setting up for a KHL loan (he has to clear waivers in order for a loan to take place, hence him agreeing to be placed on waivers)...but as of this minute...he still counts towards the cap.

As for the re-entry thing...you've got that down. Ain't happening.
What?

If a player is successfully waived and goes to the AHL, KHL, Superbierliga, their salary no longer counts against the cap. Yes, I know that. I was going on the assumption that everyone realized he would be with a different team post-haste since he's been waived.

Perhaps I should re-word my post.

Old
11-09-2009, 02:05 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
What?

If a player is successfully waived and goes to the AHL, KHL, Superbierliga, their salary no longer counts against the cap. Yes, I know that. I was going on the assumption that everyone realized he would be with a different team post-haste since he's been waived.

Perhaps I should re-word my post.
I think you were just jumping the gun a bit.

Many of us Caps fans did it Saturday as well, not thinking it through in terms of him still having to accept an assignment to another team, which at this point, is still up in the air. He agreed to go on waivers as a last ditch effort to get a gig with another NHL team. Failed. Now he's looking overseas.

Once the loan/assignment/trade/banishment is official...then the cap hit is removed. Right now...the elephant is still there.

Old
11-09-2009, 02:05 PM
stug*

Its sad he cant play hockey in the NHL only because of the salary and the Caps being asholes just because they gave him big money in the first place.
It seems like the caps dont take care of there players well

stug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 02:08 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stug View Post
It seems like the caps dont take care of there players well
They don't?

How's that?

This incident...the Kolzig thing...and maybe...MAYBE...trading Bondra.

Aside from that...have any other insight as to how they are not treating their players well?

Old
11-09-2009, 02:08 PM
RedMenace
100% Less Babcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
I think you were just jumping the gun a bit.

Many of us Caps fans did it Saturday as well, not thinking it through in terms of him still having to accept an assignment to another team, which at this point, is still up in the air.

Once the loan/assignment/trade/banishment is official...then the cap hit is removed. Right now...the elephant is still there.
I wasn't jumping the gun per se, more like making an assumption about the general understanding.

The man is getting his money, regardless of where he plays. Hopefully someone in the NHL will pick him up, but unless Washinton is prepared to take some kind of salary back in a trade it's probably not going to happen.

Unless, of course, some team has cap space to burn.

Old
11-09-2009, 02:11 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

The Caps beat writer has the KHL interested...and Nylander mulling the option.

Quote:
I'm hearing Michael Nylander is weighing an offer from a KHL team, possibly Dynamo Minsk.
http://twitter.com/TarikElBashir/status/5566930891

Old
11-09-2009, 02:20 PM
Nacho
Special

Quote:
Bruce Boudreau said he doesn't think Michael Nylander will be returning to the Caps -- regardless of whether or not he's claimed.
Didnt see that coming...

Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 02:31 PM
dashtary*

Quote:
As everyone knows by now, Michael Nylander officially cleared waivers a few moments ago.

No one has claimed him and he is not present at Capitals practice facility.

The question now becomes, what happens with Nylander?

His salary shifts off the Caps cap hit, but he still earns his full amount if he plays in Hershey, but I doubt that will happen as Caps management does not want him taking ice-time away from their prospects.

So where does that leave Nyls?

It seems like he doesn't have a team at all right now.

Russia is calling, but he has his doubts and is truly not interested in putting his family through a difficult move to the Far East.
Exactly what I had thought, the Caps still have to pay him, but he does not count against the CAP HIT.

dashtary* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

A blogger at hockeybuzz is still a blogger. Just because you read something on the Internet doesn't make it accurate. When did Hindle become the final authority on salary cap matters? At the moment, he has been waived, cleared, but not demoted to the AHL.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 02:47 PM
caley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooker View Post
Yeah, he would have really thrown a wrench in the dynasty.
Seems to me the Caps and Oilers are in a dead heat for Cups won in the time-frame.

caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 02:49 PM
broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashtary View Post
Exactly what I had thought, the Caps still have to pay him, but he does not count against the CAP HIT.
Whoever wrote that is wrong.

Also clearly not a geography major. Far East?

broad is offline   Reply With Quote