HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Blues (5-6-2) at Flyers (8-4-1) Nov 7, 6:00 PM

Old
11-07-2009, 07:34 PM
Axe08

vCash: 500
wow, this game is getting intense. I am loving ellers' play so far.

Axe08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 07:34 PM
butteredtoast

Sweet hit by Perron

butteredtoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 08:08 PM
Axe08

way to go oshie! That was sick, he just doesnt quit

Axe08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 08:08 PM
Stang

without Eller the blues have 0 goals in the last 4? games...I don't see how they can send him down right now. Nice goal by oshie though

Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 08:11 PM
bpoulsen

Send a message via ICQ to bpoulsen
With MacDonald likely back tomorrow what do they do with Eller? Do they have any other option than sending Eller down since he's up on emergency call up?

bpoulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 08:16 PM
St.Louis sports fan

Hartnell with dive........what a sissy.

St.Louis sports fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 08:18 PM
BergMan
#BackesForSelke

vCash: 50
such an awesome game! mason is a beast tonight

BergMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 08:21 PM
bpoulsen

Send a message via ICQ to bpoulsen
Haha .. The Flyers fans booing Eller!

bpoulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 08:23 PM
Tobias

Send a message via Skype™ to Tobias
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpoulsen View Post
Haha .. The Flyers fans booing Eller!
it's great. Loves when he's going hard on Pronger

What an awesome game by Eller!!

Tobias is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 08:28 PM
butteredtoast

Quote:
With MacDonald likely back tomorrow what do they do with Eller? Do they have any other option than sending Eller down since he's up on emergency call up?
Send down Winchester IMO

Old
11-07-2009, 08:36 PM
BlueBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by butteredtoast View Post
Send down Winchester IMO
I always gave Winchester the benefit of the doubt before but Eller is an absolute ****ing beast out there. I appreciate what you've given us Winchester but see ya!

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 08:41 PM
dklap3

Indeed a great game by Eller.

dklap3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Stang

ahhh we suck again!

Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 08:56 PM
MissouriBlues2008

I'm sick of getting one point.

MissouriBlues2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 08:57 PM
butteredtoast

Good effort against a good team on the road. 2 woulda been nice, but I'll take 1.

Old
11-07-2009, 09:04 PM
General Veers

Quote:
Originally Posted by butteredtoast View Post
Good effort against a good team on the road. 2 woulda been nice, but I'll take 1.
You said it!

I think Mason earned a start tomorrow.
And how about Eller...wow!
It also appears we'll lose Polak before we get Jackman and/or Cola.

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 09:13 PM
butteredtoast

Any news on Polak yet?

Old
11-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
The Blues can change Eller's status from an emergency call-up to a "permanent roster player", and send down another player to make room for him.

Eller has been the best Blues' forward (best overall game) on the ice in the last 2 games. As those are his first 2 NHL games, and he had more poise than most of the veterans, I don't see how they can send him back down to Peoria. He's also rejuvenated Berglund (and, to a lesser extent), the whole team's offence.

Pietrangelo also looked very good again. Both youngsters should stay with The Blues, and get more ice time.

I don't think that Sydor, Weaver, Winchester, Colaiacovo, or, even Kariya and Tkachuk or Jackman are keys to The Blues making the playoffs this season. But, I believe the improvement of the kids (Eller, Berglund, Perron, Oshie, Johnson, Pietrangelo, Polak, Junland, Backes) will determine whether or not they make it.

I'd rather see the kids and prospects, especially, get more ice time, to give them the experience they'll need. Any rookie mistakes will be cancelled out by their faster speed, more energy, more hitting, more offensive skill, than the marginal NHLers and over-the-hill veterans The Blues could use (have been using) in their stead.

Eller and Pietrangelo will be stars. Keep playing them.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 11:27 PM
BlueBeard

Brewer put in another solid performance tonight. If he plays at this level or above he is going to make a very positive impact on the team. With EJ and Polak now being able to log 20+ minutes reliably Brewer should not need to be worked as hard as he has been in the past. It's a better situation for Brewer to actually succeed in.

I do not see how Pietrangelo gets sent down. I've been somewhat expecting to see a bag game but it has not happened. Alex has been playing well and consistently well. Sure there are the mistakes that come from being a young d-man but EJ makes them, hell so does Doughty, Bogosian etc it's just part of the process. I still think he needs a bit more strength but it's not as much of a problem as it was last year.

I'm also starting to think that Berglund fits in a bit better with the younger guys than the vets. I don't know if he's putting too much pressure on himself playing with Kariya and Boyes or what. The effort has been there for several games now from Berglund he just looks more comfortable out there with the younger guys. I'd still like to see what he can do between a Paul Kariya and Brad Boyes that were clicking like they used to because that line could just be a massive point getter. I'd be content to see a Mcdonald-Berglund-Boyes line for a while as well.

Mason=The man. 'nuff said

Overall this team is starting to look more like the team that made it into the playoffs last year and the last two games even though losses were actually really enjoyable to watch.

Old
11-08-2009, 03:31 AM
Sniper
It's learning...

As much as I like Eller these past 2 games, the real question is if he can keep his level of play up for a full 82 game schedule. I can easilly see him tapering off towards the end of the season. Speaking of which, anyone know if he is playing in the Olympics?

Sniper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 03:37 AM
BlueBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
As much as I like Eller these past 2 games, the real question is if he can keep his level of play up for a full 82 game schedule. I can easilly see him tapering off towards the end of the season. Speaking of which, anyone know if he is playing in the Olympics?
Denmark did not qualify for the Olympics.

Old
11-08-2009, 03:45 AM
Sniper
It's learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
Denmark did not qualify for the Olympics.
Thanks.

Another thought, if Eller stays up, then who gets sent down when Steen comes back? I think giving Eller a taste of the NHL is nice, but he's ultimately destined to spend the majority of the year in the AHL.

Sniper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 10:15 AM
John Flyers Fan

A few comments and question from a Flyers fan that attended the game last night.

Eric Johnson looked like the real deal, not flashing and no single outstanding quality, but just real solid all-around.

Berglund - until mid-way through the 3rd period, I was checking to see if he was injured adn not playing. Completely unnoticeable and irrelevant. Very surprising as to me when we played you last year, I thought he was your best player that night, and a star in the making. Was that just a one night think, or has he regressed this seaon?

Mason - made a number of big saves, adn the one on Hartnell in OT was just ridiculous.

Brewer & Kariya - I thought Brewer looked more like the young, Edmonton version than I've seen him play in a long time (a good thing). Karoya seemed to have his speed back, but was primarily a perimeter player.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 11:49 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Thanks.

Another thought, if Eller stays up, then who gets sent down when Steen comes back? I think giving Eller a taste of the NHL is nice, but he's ultimately destined to spend the majority of the year in the AHL.
The Blues are having trouble scoring. Only a few of their players are playing with consistent energy all through games. Only a few of them are playing a consistent physical game all through. The forwards are not all playing a good defensive game.

Eller provides ALL those things, in abundance, and has a high skill level, and young legs. He has proven that he's ready to play in The NHL. To bury him in The NHL for the majority of this season would hurt The Blues, and stunt Eller's development (slightly)(in that he'd lose game experience against NHL rivals that he otherwise could be forming his "mental book" on their tendencies,-as well as lose the early advice and tips from NHL veteran teammates (pushing them to later). Better to have him be as good a player as possible, earlier, -and get the benefit of his better play earlier than later.

If he remains a Blue all his career, The Blues will then have had the benefit of his good play for more games. He's better than Winchester in almost every aspect (and in those few that he's not, he's equally good). There is NO logical reason to send him down.

If he "hits the wall" late in the season, I'd play him less, but still have him up in St. Louis. If he plays less shifts and games late in the season to match his lower stamina, he'd be doing that in Peoria as well. He would play more and gain more experience in The AHL. Playing when tired in The AHL won't provide more experience to help his overall game.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 12:10 PM
Tobias

Send a message via Skype™ to Tobias
Do we know for sure if Eller will play tonight?

Tobias is online now   Reply With Quote