HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Did I invent a new shot?

Old
11-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Pierre Gotye

vCash: 500
Did I invent a new shot?

It's not a wrister, or a slapper or, even really a snapper. I call it a 'chip shot.'

I seem to be very deadly and accurate with it. Instead of going through the motion with the wrist shot(which can give goalies time to prepare), or more time to set up with a slapper or snapper, I use a chip shot...goalies almost never see it coming.

Maybe you could classify it as a hybrid snapper...all I am doing is bringing my stick back about 2-3 inches then putting some 'twine into it. It seems to work everytime as goalies just don't expect it.

It's my new favorite shot if you're just inside of or, slightly outside of the hash marks down low, it seems to be the perfect shot for me.

I scored using this shot in a game last season coming off the wing.

Last night, on a pretty decent goalie during drop-in I got a pass, on a breakaway from my other team-mate, which the goalie had time to position him self for...and there was my chip shot...over the goalie's shoulder, *ping* just right under the crossbar and up squirts the watter bottle. Man, that was so cool

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 03:39 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
It's not a wrister, or a slapper or, even really a snapper. I call it a 'chip shot.'

I seem to be very deadly and accurate with it. Instead of going through the motion with the wrist shot(which can give goalies time to prepare), or more time to set up with a slapper or snapper, I use a chip shot...goalies almost never see it coming.

Maybe you could classify it as a hybrid snapper...all I am doing is bringing my stick back about 2-3 inches then putting some 'twine into it. It seems to work everytime as goalies just don't expect it.

It's my new favorite shot if you're just inside of or, slightly outside of the hash marks down low, it seems to be the perfect shot for me.

I scored using this shot in a game last season coming off the wing.

Last night, on a pretty decent goalie during drop-in I got a pass, on a breakaway from my other team-mate, which the goalie had time to position him self for...and there was my chip shot...over the goalie's shoulder, *ping* just right under the crossbar and up squirts the watter bottle. Man, that was so cool
Sounds like a snap shot.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 04:11 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
Sounds like a snap shot.
yep..

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 05:29 PM
K-PAX*

Plenty of people chip the puck, usually to get it over the goalie's shoulder and under the crossbar.

K-PAX* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 05:41 PM
densetsu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snap_shot_%28ice_hockey%29

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 05:58 PM
noobman

Yeah... that falls under the category of a snapshot.

I'm actually interested to know what you think a snapshot really is, given that you've described a snapshot as "not really being a snapshot"

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 12:50 AM
CanadaBacon

uh.......this "chip" shot is a snap shot maybe?

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 01:47 AM
densetsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
Yeah... that falls under the category of a snapshot.

I'm actually interested to know what you think a snapshot really is, given that you've described a snapshot as "not really being a snapshot"
It kinda sounds like he's opening the face of the blade up. Like, if a regular shot was a 3-iron, this would be a pitching wedge.

Either way, it's a snap shot in my books.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 02:50 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Sorry, but you didn't invent it. It's been called many things, including the forehand roof shot by Sean Skinner. Many pros have done it.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 09:27 AM
Pierre Gotye

It's interesting how, I really have to be careful with my wrist shot, because I typically end up getting a ton of velocity on it, but usually go wide of the net.

I have absolutely zero slapshot. My technical skills on the slapshot are non-existent and ugly.

But my snapper seems to be the right shot selection.

I thought a snap shot would have been brought back further, mine only goes back about 2-5 inches max. I was thinking a snapper was more like 5-10 inches.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 12:47 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
It's interesting how, I really have to be careful with my wrist shot, because I typically end up getting a ton of velocity on it, but usually go wide of the net.

I have absolutely zero slapshot. My technical skills on the slapshot are non-existent and ugly.

But my snapper seems to be the right shot selection.

I thought a snap shot would have been brought back further, mine only goes back about 2-5 inches max. I was thinking a snapper was more like 5-10 inches.
Seems to me like you're trying to shoot too hard. Relax when shooting. And remember, the keys to being a successful sniper are first and foremost, quick release and accuracy, power is third on that list!

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Washington Capitals

Washington Capitals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 10:53 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

A snapshot is like a wrist shot with no windup. It's mostly forearm muscles and wrist snapping, just enough behind the puck to dig into the ice and load the stick...but yeah, most anything that isn't a wrist or slap shot is likely a snapper.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote