HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Backhand shovel shot guide, lift your backhanders (few pics and vids)

Old
11-07-2009, 05:50 PM
wearethegreek

vCash: 500
Backhand shovel shot guide, lift your backhanders (few pics and vids)

I've seen alot of posts about how to lift the backhand shot, but none of the responses have diagrams that let you visualize what the mechanics are supposed to be for a shovel type shot so here is my attempt:

First off, curve doesn't matter as much as proper mechanics because I learned to shoot on a pm9 and actually perform better on the backhand with a p92, these curves are significantly different. Also the proper lie is essential to ensure you get your blade in most contact with the ice when taking this shot.

First, make sure you line the puck (in the case of my room, the ball here) at the heel of your blade, especially with a mid/toe curve. Just like a forehand shot you want to put spin on it to send it fast and flat not fluttering or too soft.

Next you want to incorporate two key fundamentals: rolling the wrists and keeping the blade in contact with the ice much as if you were about to shovel off a layer of it. This is where proper lie is imporant, as well as wrist roll so that you are putting alot of blade under the puck when you eventually shoot it.

This image shows you how the bottom wrist rolls to get the blade in proper position:

Sorry for the weird angle my phone is a mess.

The top hand should roll as well to guide the blade.

This next image is to show you that if you keep your blade flat on the ice like you should, the blade can become a shovel if angled properly

See any light blue under the blade? That's because the lie is correct and the blade is angled to slide under the puck and lift with a shovel like motion of the wrists and forearms.

With the proper shoveling motion you can lift shots like this, even if you're not still and balanced, watch the blade, malkin cups the puck to set it up, then quickly rolls his wrists over and shovels the puck top corner:

To show just how effective the shovel motion is, watch this clip to see Sergei Brylin execute a similar backhand wrister completely off balance:

It should be noted that both of these players were Russian trained, and I feel alot can be learned by incorporating their game into any repetoire...imagine a player with Swedish legs, Russian hands and American grit...can't wait for the Olympics.

Hopefully this thread will help someone think out the mechanics the next time they try it, good luck and please post any tips or corrections you feel necessary. Thanks for reading!

Last edited by wearethegreek: 11-07-2009 at 05:57 PM. Reason: edit: it should also be noted that pittsburgh stole our goal song :P
wearethegreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 09:25 PM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

good post man thank you

raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 10:09 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

this is really helpful, I have an "ok" backhand, but I cant lift it higher than say, a foot. I can now see why, so thanks for this "guide"(if you will).
just a question though, does using a baseball help you at all? or is that just because youre on a carpet.

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 12:19 AM
kivaerijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearethegreek View Post
imagine a player with Swedish legs, Russian hands and American grit...can't wait for the Olympics.
!
think he goes by AO

good post though. try that all soon. once in a while i get good wood on a back hand, but never thought as to why it is only sometimes.

kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 01:52 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

This will probably help out a lot of players. Another idea to remember is that how high your backhand goes is a result of your arm and shoulder follow through.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 11:29 AM
wearethegreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin Steve View Post
this is really helpful, I have an "ok" backhand, but I cant lift it higher than say, a foot. I can now see why, so thanks for this "guide"(if you will).
just a question though, does using a baseball help you at all? or is that just because youre on a carpet.
A good way to get soft hands, save your walls and practice anywhere is with some sort of soft ball, even a ping pong ball can go roof daddy on an overturned laundry basket...

Think back to when you were a kid and how you would play on your knees with a tennis ball and one of those little plastic sticks. You were really practicing at a rudimentary level.

In fact, you can use one of those to practice and get the fundamentals of lifting. I also find practicing with a ball its easier to get the shot up and then you can just apply the motion to a puck with confidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
This will probably help out a lot of players. Another idea to remember is that how high your backhand goes is a result of your arm and shoulder follow through.
This is also huge and I didn't take a picture but you can see in the videos they both follow through to ensure the puck rises. Very good point i didn't make!

Old
11-08-2009, 11:33 AM
wearethegreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin Steve View Post
Oh and sorry haha I should say thats one of those squishy stress balls. I use that too because I play a stickhandling keep away game from my cat and when I shoot it often she'll go fetch it and bring it back. Not a real baseball oops!

Old
11-08-2009, 11:37 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Honestly, standing still it's pretty easy to do for anyone. The challenge is doing it at top speed, which for me, is pretty fast. I've been able to do it blowing down the slot with 2 dmen on my back, but it's not accurate.

Old
11-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
Honestly, standing still it's pretty easy to do for anyone. The challenge is doing it at top speed, which for me, is pretty fast. I've been able to do it blowing down the slot with 2 dmen on my back, but it's not accurate.
It is also very easy to lift a backhander with a ball.

I play the off wing often and a backhander is essential for passing and shooting. I am pretty good at the backhander and usually use a blade without very much curve in it.

lately i have been using the Getzlaf / Lidstrom pattern because it was a clearance item and honestly it is almost pointless to try and get a good elevated backhander with it because of the crazy open toe face. I can shoot a hard backhander with it but tucking it under the crossbar on the offwing is not very possible with it.

My regular blades yeah no problem.

The PM9 pattern is one I do not like all that much but the straightness of the blade portion offers excellent backhanders.

And backhanders are almost impossible to be accurate with all you can do is get the general quarter of that portion of the net and even then sometimes the puck will flip up as you followthrough and really mess things up for accuracy.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 09:50 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Good description. I'll add the most important thing in lifting a backhander is starting with the puck on the inside of your body (i.e. if you're left handed, the puck should be to the right of your right leg). Try putting the puck in front of your front leg and shooting it...you'll get no power and it will slide on the ice. Start it behind your back leg and shoot...much better.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 12:29 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Good description. I'll add the most important thing in lifting a backhander is starting with the puck on the inside of your body (i.e. if you're left handed, the puck should be to the right of your right leg). Try putting the puck in front of your front leg and shooting it...you'll get no power and it will slide on the ice. Start it behind your back leg and shoot...much better.
That sounds nice for a regular, standing backhander but isn't true otherwise. Skating in motion, you have to take a backhander with the puck parallell to your right foot, as a lefty, many times. It's really just an issue of practice and getting the shovel motion down right.

Old
11-10-2009, 08:18 PM
McMonster

The backhander is probably the best shot I have... I use a Malkin curve btw. And this is exactly how I do it. You have to cup the puck on the heel and basically put as much spin on it as you possibly can.

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 09:33 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead71 View Post
The backhander is probably the best shot I have... I use a Malkin curve btw. And this is exactly how I do it. You have to cup the puck on the heel and basically put as much spin on it as you possibly can.
I was just going to post exactly the same thing. I would add that I roll my wrists and point the blade where I want the puck to go just like a back side wrister. I use a Malkin curve too

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote