HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings v. Predators: Passion=Power=Paxil

Old
11-07-2009, 09:38 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

vCash: 500
I'd be curious what the Kings overall record is when they play 1PM games. My gut tells me it's not so hot. They often seem out of rhythm when they play these early games.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 09:42 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
The Ducks completely dominated Van the other day to, but lost to the pens so what are you trying to say???
Not to mention Detroit is being embarrassed tonight by Toronto. Good teams lose to bad teams now and then. It happens.

Old
11-07-2009, 09:55 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Kings v. Predators: Passion=Power=Paxil

Marc (DIEHARD) was kind enough to call me at the last minute with an extra ticket so I managed to see this on ice abortion live.

Here is the post game write up.

Quote:
Nothing.

That is what the Kings managed to generate today against the Nashville Predators in a 1pm matinee game. In fact, for most of the game, as I sat in section 214 with a friend (who kindly called me with an extra ticket), I wondered what the hell happened to our Kings because the team on the ice did not resemble much of anything I have seen since game 1 of the season. I donít mind a hard fought 3 periods that ends up in a loss. But todayís game has nothing positive to speak of, not from any player, any line, not even a shift that was worth mentioning. Post Penguin hangover, the low after two emotional highs, whatever the excuse is, it better be dead and buried before the next match.
For more on the short and sweet post game, click on the link http://www.lakingsnews.com

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 10:04 PM
Captain Ron

I could go for a few Paxil right now.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 12:07 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

A few tidbits for those who were not there.

The arena was not 15,000 +. Closer to 11,000

The crowd sucked nearly as bad as the team. DIEHARD and I tried to get a LETS GO KINGS going and wow, you would think we were in church.

Quick's stick throwing incident was comedy. The puck was going 6 feet wide.

Smyth played a very good game. Control of the puck, created several chances all by himself and through his hard work. He was very difficult to knock off the puck.

Kopitar was just a little off. It wasn't for a lack of effort, but it reminded me of a player who wanted to take over the game but passes just would not connect and we played most of the game in our own zone.

Ivanans' penalty was stupid. Frolov's penalty in the third was even worse.

Stoll was skating well most of the game and he had a similar game as Kopitar.

Honestly, I don't know what Williams was doing today and I like the guy. He had a few shifts where he could not read the play. He was passing right to the Predators in our zone and either he or his line mates were not communicating.

Handzus and Simmonds were invisible.

Quick should have had point shot. I forget which one it was, but the goal was stoppable. From his 3rd or 4th game last season, I became worried about his reads and positioning on the point shots. He drops to his knees too early and gets beat high and becomes susceptible to rebounds. That's timing and Bill needs to work with him on it.

Jack wasn't jumping into the play at all. He looked like Greene out there. Greene looked like Modry on a couple of plays and O'D looked worn out. I commented to DIEHARD why none of the defensemen (Doughty included) are playing back on nearly every play. It was as if they had no interest in generating offense, just guarding against the counter attack. The problem was this happened from the drop of the puck.

Murray is being kind when he says take nothing away like Nashville. Nashville played like ****. The hard work in the corners wasn't Nashville playing well, it was the Kings not going to the corners. Ron could have kept the cycle going in the Kings' offensive zone.

That third goal sucked the life out of the team. You could almost feel the team deflate.

Did I mention the fans sucked? If any of you were at the game and sitting on your *****, you owe the team some enthusiasm and positive energy next time and don't tell me you were ****ing worn out from the Pittsburgh game or the team didn't give you anything to cheer about. THAT is exactly when you have to get into it.

Old
11-08-2009, 12:12 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

hmm...so my PGT thread somehow got knocked back 20 something posts. Damn threads with foreign parts. Buy American.

Old
11-08-2009, 12:23 AM
redcard

Thanks for the write up Zad, with no highlights this helps understand the game a lot better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Kopitar was just a little off. It wasn't for a lack of effort, but it reminded me of a player who wanted to take over the game but passes just would not connect and we played most of the game in our own zone.
It's pretty scary how Kopitar can be "a little off" and still add to his already high point total. A bounce back game for him against Chicago would be huge, especially with Ovie missing a few games this weekend. Did Kopi contribute to the goal as far as winning the face off or was that mostly Brown's work?

Quote:
Stoll was skating well most of the game and he had a similar game as Kopitar.
He's been playing pretty well lately, the hope for Stoll was that he could be a 2nd line center on our future cup team. For his sake I'm really hoping he continues to contribute and can pick up some more chemistry with Parse/Brown

Quote:
Honestly, I don't know what Williams was doing today and I like the guy. He had a few shifts where he could not read the play. He was passing right to the Predators in our zone and either he or his line mates were not communicating.
I'm waiting for Williams to get hot, the only way I see that line continuing to power through the league is if Williams goes through a few periods of carrying the line as Smyth/Kopi cool down. If we can consistantly get at least 2 of those 3 playing well at all times over the season we are going to have a very successful season. Guys are going to have off nights every once in a while, lets just hope they learn to take turns.

Quote:
Quick should have had point shot. I forget which one it was, but the goal was stoppable. From his 3rd or 4th game last season, I became worried about his reads and positioning on the point shots. He drops to his knees too early and gets beat high and becomes susceptible to rebounds. That's timing and Bill needs to work with him on it.
This seems to be the hole in Quick's play, teams are starting to catch on that if you take a hard slap shot high glove side its good for at least 1 goal a game.

And on an unrelated note, Ducks were up 4-0 with 13 minutes left against the yotes, now that lead's cut to 1 with 5 left. I love watching that team melt down.

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 01:09 AM
Go_Krog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post

And on an unrelated note, Ducks were up 4-0 with 13 minutes left against the yotes, now that lead's cut to 1 with 5 left. I love watching that team melt down.
its almost as fun as wathcing the 05 kings meltdown was. what was it that they were bragging about through marketing, "best 38 game start of a season in franchise history" or some bs like that.

Go_Krog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 01:12 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

NHL on the Fly got a hold of arena video for highlights... er, lowlights, for folks interested in seeing them.

- T

Old
11-08-2009, 01:22 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
NHL on the Fly got a hold of arena video for highlights... er, lowlights, for folks interested in seeing them.

- T
Other than beers with Zad and JDM, there is nothing I want to repeat about this afternoon's game.

Zad had it pegged mid-way through the 2nd period when he said:

"It's like watching old people ****!"

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 01:46 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
We always seem to lose 1 o'clock games. We always struggle against Nashville. Just a ****** combination.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 01:51 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
We always seem to lose 1 o'clock games. We always struggle against Nashville. Just a ****** combination.
We've got 5 more of them this season, so buckle up. One coming up vs. Calgary in 2 weeks, and then again vs. St. Louis in 4 weeks.

I agree though, i can't remember the last time we played well during a matinee. The most boring game I ever went to was a Kings/Blues matinee a few years back that ended in a 0-0 tie. I literally dozed off at one point.

Old
11-08-2009, 01:55 AM
kivaerijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
First game without a point since October 17th. Onto Chicago.
not directed at you, but with some of the talk about preds being a below average team, i just wanted to point out that the kings only have 3 more points than the preds since that same date. and only 7 points ahead of us on the year. and we have 2 games in hand.

we started off terribley this year, and things started to get better. i know there is a lot more that we need to do, and we may not get there, injuries are killing us. but we are really the same team we were for the last few years (made playoffs 2 and 3 years ago, and just barely missed last year). point being we could still be a playoff team.

i know some here have pointed out that everyteam has a chance every night. more true in this sport than any other.

i understand some are upset at the loss. feel you should have won. and i agree.

oh...the 4-0 game thursday wasnt total domination. i would say pretty even for 50 plus minutes. few absolutley terrible defensive breakdowns and a 5 on 3ish. sellane kills us every game he plays us. score sometimes isnt indicative of what really went on.

wish i could say good game, but our announcers suck, game not on tv. couldnt tell what kind of game it was.

good luck on the season though, and take care of the hawks!

kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 01:59 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

I'm still laughing about Pride-Passion-Paxil (my phone doesn't have an equal sign).

Cheese fries + newcastle (equals) brilliance. At least one good thing came off that game.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 03:33 AM
redcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kivaerijo View Post
not directed at you, but with some of the talk about preds being a below average team, i just wanted to point out that the kings only have 3 more points than the preds since that same date. and only 7 points ahead of us on the year. and we have 2 games in hand.

we started off terribley this year, and things started to get better. i know there is a lot more that we need to do, and we may not get there, injuries are killing us. but we are really the same team we were for the last few years (made playoffs 2 and 3 years ago, and just barely missed last year). point being we could still be a playoff team.

i know some here have pointed out that everyteam has a chance every night. more true in this sport than any other.

i understand some are upset at the loss. feel you should have won. and i agree.

oh...the 4-0 game thursday wasnt total domination. i would say pretty even for 50 plus minutes. few absolutley terrible defensive breakdowns and a 5 on 3ish. sellane kills us every game he plays us. score sometimes isnt indicative of what really went on.

wish i could say good game, but our announcers suck, game not on tv. couldnt tell what kind of game it was.

good luck on the season though, and take care of the hawks!
The disappointment of losing to the preds doesn't really have to do with us expecting to beat them, but more with the fact that we have outplayed anybodies' expectations in the beginning of the year and that we should have steamrolled any team coming off a loss to the ducks. The Preds always have our number, but like you, we are expecting our team to be a playoff team and therefore need to beat any team that will finish close to us at the end of the season. The Preds are a team that we need to beat, but not necessarily should beat, and that's where the disappointment comes from.

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 03:42 AM
Ollie Weeks

I think the Preds have slowly been becoming the new Coyotes (of the previous years). A team terrible on paper that we have no reason losing to, yet when we play them we can't tell our thumb from our dick.

6-1-2 in 9. This is still a good team.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 04:40 AM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

Frozen Royalty Audio: LA Kings Suffer Letdown Against Nashville

Frozen Royalty Audio: LA Kings Suffer Letdown Against Nashville

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 05:42 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

When was the last time the Kings had a good afternoon game at Staples?

I can swear I've either never seen them win an afternoon game at home or it's rare.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 06:37 AM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

Quote:
A few tidbits for those who were not there.

The arena was not 15,000 +. Closer to 11,000...

Did I mention the fans sucked? If any of you were at the game and sitting on your *****, you owe the team some enthusiasm and positive energy next time and don't tell me you were ****ing worn out from the Pittsburgh game or the team didn't give you anything to cheer about. THAT is exactly when you have to get into it.

Good summary.

We tried to rile up our section too, but every time we did it the Kings got scored on. So yeah. I blame me.

Very reminiscent of the Vancouver game, except much sloppier ice. There were two awful teams playing today, one who sorta cared and one who didn't. Though for as much as the Kings sucked, they were still only a few bouncing pucks away from a win. I know, woulda-shoulda-coulda. They didn't deserve a win from today anyway, and I hope it's a learning experience in managing emotions in a marathon season (i.e. don't get so amped up for the Pens that you overlook the Preds, who have historically thumped us at Stapes anyway).

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 09:42 AM
yankeeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
When was the last time the Kings had a good afternoon game at Staples?

I can swear I've either never seen them win an afternoon game at home or it's rare.
You got to remember the PHX. gamewhere we scored with 50 secnds or so to beat the yotes and ended up getting the # 4 pick (HICKEY) in a three deep draft-KANE,JVR,AND TURRIS.........if you don't remember i think Captain Ron might have some insight into his favorite pick........

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 10:27 AM
null33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuuc20 View Post
Chalk it up to a combination of a very early start time with a letdown after the Pittsburgh win...we'll be ready for Chicago...GO KINGS GO!

Be glad there are fewer matinee games this season than last.

null33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 10:32 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I'm still laughing about Pride-Passion-Paxil (my phone doesn't have an equal sign).

Cheese fries + newcastle (equals) brilliance. At least one good thing came off that game.
Does that include the gas that came later, too?

Old
11-08-2009, 10:33 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneface Vimes View Post
I think the Preds have slowly been becoming the new Coyotes (of the previous years). A team terrible on paper that we have no reason losing to, yet when we play them we can't tell our thumb from our dick.

6-1-2 in 9. This is still a good team.
I am sorry its that way for you!

Old
11-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Dave33
Still smiling

Quote:

Raitis' penalty wasn't that bad, could very easily have been a holding the stick, the Pred helped it along quite a bit. At least, that was what it looked like from my POV.

Also, as Fishhead mentioned, the bounces were crappy. Total Murphy's law out there, every bad bounce that could have happened, did. I thought the Preds played well though. Good counterattacking with speed. Ellis was better than I expected/hoped.

In regards to the above, ********. The fans were cheering at the start, the fans were cheering the PK, the fans were cheering for big saves. But when the team comes out and plays with zero fire, the fans don't owe them ****. It is impossible to muster up any additional support for a lackluster effort like yesterday.

Dave33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 10:44 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

I think the only players that set their alarm for the 1pm start were Quick, Greene, Drewiske, and Williams.

Kopitar was a turnover machine Saturday, and as a team they just weren't heavy enough on their sticks, so they lost too many battles along the boards.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote