HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ward Injury updates (expected to play on 12/8/2009 against NJ)

Old
11-08-2009, 05:42 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

vCash: 500
Jackets fan here. So sorry to see what happened to Cam last night. Canes are my second favorite team behind the Jackets. I can't stand the Pens, especially since there are so many band-wagon Pittsburgh fans here in C-bus, and so wanted the Canes to pummel them last year in the ECF.

Made it down last season to the RBC for the CBJ vs. Canes game and had a great time. Canes staff, and Canes fans were fantastic! Was so much fun. Sure beat the hell out of the way we have been treated in St. Louis, and Nashville.

Hope Cam can make a speedy recovery, and the Canes can right this ship. Want to see them make it to the play-offs again.

BTW, my son is a Marine stationed at Camp Lejune. We are planning on going down to see him off when he deploys to Afghanistan in February. Hopefully we will be able to hit a Canes game, but he could be shipping out over the Olympic break. If not we will see ya's in Feb.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Guerzy
Winnipeg Whiteout

vCash: 50
Chip speculates Manny Legace is our best option.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/...turn-to-legace

Quote:
So what's the Canes' next move? Cam Ward will be out at least three to four weeks, general manager Jim Rutherford says, so a goaltending decision must be made.

The best guess here is that the Hurricanes will sign a goaltender and that it will be Manny Legace. He's 36, he's experienced, he's won 177 NHL games.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 05:51 PM
canesnecu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Chip speculates Manny Legace is our best option.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/...turn-to-legace
Wow, if Chip says it it must be true cuz he's one knowlegable canes fan. Nothing against you Guerzy. His best guess? More likely he's been reading canes sites all over the net and that was his best guess based on what everyone else thinks.

gee Chip, give us something. And where the hell is Branecky with some info? Probly watching football with that really spectacular sales force. epic sarcasm warn

canesnecu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 06:38 PM
MaineHockey1
Let The Season Begin

Send a message via AIM to MaineHockey1
Quote:
Originally Posted by karparules View Post
It's really cool to see all the well-wishes from fans of other teams on here. Thanks! Classy stuff.

I agree with MaineHockey1 about Fernandez. I'm not a fan of that guy. I think we could do worse than to sign Kevin Weekes for the rest of the year. He played well last season and has a storied past with the Canes. We all know how much JR likes to dip into the past rosters, so it seems logical! I can't imagine that Kevin would be very expensive to sign.
Hey, we are ALL not rotten apples on here! Just ask CaniacGirl (your mod)!

We in Boston did not call him MFMF for nothing! Weekes is a better choice...he was great when Mary was out last season. <-----oopsi (Marty) Manny is damaged goods....If he comes your way...I give him a handfull of games before he is back on your IR list!

As for your #2....give him a chance , u never know what he will do?

As for Vesa...I think that guy needs a change...Toronto just is NOT the place for him....poor guy is getting eaten alive by the fans up there and maybe a change in scenery is just what he needs.

MaineHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Hey guys...Flyers fan here.....really sorry to hear about Cam. I can only hope that he can come back at some point 100%. Sounds like a doozy of an injury.........

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 07:14 PM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

Luke DeCock just dropped Legace's name as well as the most likely option on NHL on the Fly. When asked about Peters and Murphy, he said the situation would dictate that a veteran option would be the best decision.

Also made it sound like Rutherford views Christmas as the "deadline" for salvaging this season. If they are not .500 by that time, we could see the start of the re-build.

JustJoe2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 08:14 PM
Guerzy
Winnipeg Whiteout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoe2k5 View Post
Luke DeCock just dropped Legace's name as well as the most likely option on NHL on the Fly. When asked about Peters and Murphy, he said the situation would dictate that a veteran option would be the best decision.

Also made it sound like Rutherford views Christmas as the "deadline" for salvaging this season. If they are not .500 by that time, we could see the start of the re-build.

Interesting. I read something the other day aswell that said Rutherford wanted to see what this group could do until December, if we could get to .500 than we'll go from there. Something to that effect sounds like Jimmy's plan of motion.

We're likely in for a long ride if we're going to ride this thing into December/Christmas. Moves or no moves, with Staal & Ward on the shelf, we're in pretty deep.

Old
11-08-2009, 08:33 PM
hyena

Good to see a lot of classy fans of other teams wishing Cam well. Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Honestly we're at the point where I'd rather just not bother trading the picks it would take to get him and sign one of Legace, Fernandez or Weekes (assuming they can coax Weekes out of retirement).
This. Just say no to Biron. Personally I've always had a soft spot for Legace....not that it really matters who we get.

hyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 10:09 PM
msgtcody

news and observer
Quote:
Rutherford says the Hurricanes may call up goaltender Justin Peters from Albany to back up Michael Leighton, but their primary focus will be to obtain another netminder through a trade.

"We're looking outside of the organization," Rutherford said. "That's what I've been working on all day, and we hope to get something done."
to me trading for a goaltender would indicate he is trying to find another starting caliber goaltender not just a 3-4 week patch which would lead me to believe wards injury is more serious than 3-4 weeks as speculated.

msgtcody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 10:22 PM
Tyler Myers

sry to hear about ward...

another blow to my keeper fantasy team

just wondering, does this mean that mike murphy gets called up? will he start?

Tyler Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Tank King Jimmy
DO LESS BETTER

vCash: 813
The chances of Murphy playing in the NHL this year don't exist. Peters is readier, and we already have Leighton and possibly a new netminder thru trade or a signing. We'd have to run through 3-4 MORE goaltenders for Murphy to get his shot.

Tank King Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 10:28 PM
Guerzy
Winnipeg Whiteout

So by the sounds of it JR is not interested in a UFA signing (Legace - As speculated) and is in the midst of working out a deal via trade. Will it be part of a bigger deal? Guess we'll soon find out.

Old
11-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Hipster Letestu

Sorry to see what happened to Ward here in Columbus, hope he gets better soon and you guys right your ship.

Hipster Letestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 12:57 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Here's to hoping that any deal JR makes doesn't involve us sacrificing any part of our future no matter how small for some ridiculous attempt to salvage the season with a veteran goalie.

11-09-2009, 01:49 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Just as a little FYI, Rutherford will go the veteran route based on his prior experience. During the start of his career as GM in Hartford he was faced with a similar situation.

Burke had his thumb broken by a Bruin stabbing under Sean's blocker with his stick and not only breaking Burke's finger itself, but also pushing it back far enough that there was tendon damage. The Whalers had started the season very hot and were in first place in the division at the time. Jason Muzzatti was the backup and much like Leighton now, was a minor league journeyman who had some limited success in a backup role at the NHL level and was scheduled to backup a goalie playing 60+ games that season.

The Whalers had just drafted a young star netminder out of juniors by the name of Jean-Sebastian Giguere and made an emergency recall to bring him up from his junior team to backup Muzzatti. Muzzatti had some mixed results in the starters role and finally Giguere was called upon to make his debut at home against the Bruins. He tanked, allowed four goals in the first period, and looked totally out of place before Muzzatti was called in to replace him. The team actually rallied back to tie the game at 4-4 late, but Marek Malik made a perfect breakout pass to Glen Murray skating down the wing on the forecheck and then allowed him to break past him on a 2 on 0 with Steve Heinze for the game-winning goal. Malik honestly made the pass as he wheeled around the net and then skated out almost to the blueline before realizing what he had done...

Anyhow, Giguere got off to a horrible start and the Whalers season went from the top of the division to the bottom and missed the playoffs by the time Burke returned. As we all know, Giguere was traded away to Calgary and then Anaheim before finding success.

With that experience already in his back pocket, I doubt Rutherford will subject Peters to the same situation (despite being at the opposite end of the standings currently) and will go out and snag a veteran as soon as possible to limit Peters exposure right now...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 05:58 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Interesting. I read something the other day aswell that said Rutherford wanted to see what this group could do until December, if we could get to .500 than we'll go from there. Something to that effect sounds like Jimmy's plan of motion.

We're likely in for a long ride if we're going to ride this thing into December/Christmas. Moves or no moves, with Staal & Ward on the shelf, we're in pretty deep.
I agree that we are in deep...but realistically, we shouldn't have to have to wait that long.

There are 21 games left until Christmas and we are currently 2-14 (well..2-11-3). To get to .500, we'd have to win 17 / 21 (we'd then be 19-18).

If we rack up 5-6 losses in the next couple of weeks, it will be impossible to hit .500 and he can pull the plug sooner.

If by ".500" he means points available vs. W-L record, then we might have a little longer, but either way, we'll know for sure by Thanksgiving if this team has any shot at .500.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 07:05 AM
Guerzy
Winnipeg Whiteout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpuckhog View Post
I agree that we are in deep...but realistically, we shouldn't have to have to wait that long.

There are 21 games left until Christmas and we are currently 2-14 (well..2-11-3). To get to .500, we'd have to win 17 / 21 (we'd then be 19-18).

If we rack up 5-6 losses in the next couple of weeks, it will be impossible to hit .500 and he can pull the plug sooner.

If by ".500" he means points available vs. W-L record, then we might have a little longer, but either way, we'll know for sure by Thanksgiving if this team has any shot at .500.

Very good observation, ncpuckhog. It's funny when you hear fans across the league say 'it's not over, we're only 16 games in'. Which is true as a lot can happen in the next 66 games, but the mountain we have to climb to just get to .500 is pretty big, and the mountain we have to climb to atleast hit 90+ points is pretty big itself. It's been mentioned plenty of times, we'd have to go something around 42-24 and that almost just seems to unrealistic. If we won 42 games of the 66 remaining we would sit at 91 points, and that may not even be enough. Last year (2008-2009) the 8th placed team hit 93 points, the year before (2007-2008) the 8th placed team hit 94 points, the year before that (2006-2007) the 8th placed team hit 92 points. History doesn't always repeat itself, but these numbers seem like the realistic going rate.

It's such a steep climb. So yes, realistically we should know fairly soon if there is absolutely any realistic shot of us hitting the mark we need to or if it is simply to far out of reach.

Old
11-09-2009, 07:54 AM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesnecu View Post
Wow, if Chip says it it must be true cuz he's one knowlegable canes fan. Nothing against you Guerzy. His best guess? More likely he's been reading canes sites all over the net and that was his best guess based on what everyone else thinks.

gee Chip, give us something. And where the hell is Branecky with some info? Probly watching football with that really spectacular sales force. epic sarcasm warn
Speaking of the Chipster, I thought this was just so typically sloppy from the CanesNow blog...

Quote:
Ward suffered a laceration of the left leg in the first period of the Canes' 3-2 loss at Columbus on Saturday and was taken to Riverside Hospital.
Hey mistakes happen but come on. He's also the same guy who reported Staal was playing the point on the PP in practice, two full games after he'd already been there in live action.

He's the perfect guy to cover the team...doesn't always put in the proper effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpuckhog View Post

When you consider the tail end of the playoff run after going up 3-1 vs. Boston, the Canes went 1-6. Or a combined 3-20. Granted it was against two excellent teams, including the Cup champs, but it speaks volumes.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 07:58 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Wasn't it the left leg?

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 08:02 AM
OrioleWay
Jailbait

Even with some changes, this team don't have chance for playoffs this year. JR can make some moves and this team will have a battle for 10-11 spot... or we can continue to suck and the end of the season, take Hall. I prefer Hall honestly.

This season is something that should happening imo. We're old. Most of our players is absolutely useless. Imagine we made playoffs... and what? JR will give new contracts to A. Ward, Wallin, Corvo, Cullen and etc. We need that epic fail season, we need some yound and fresh faces... i hate to say it cause i want to see team who can win games but...

OrioleWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 08:10 AM
LetsGOJackets!!

Hurry back Cam Ward..

My wife pointed out the swoon as he got in the tunnel. Probably lost more blood than anyone thought at the time. Get well Cam, and get back on the ice!!

Good luck the rest of the way Canes

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 08:50 AM
daikan
sad times

Send a message via MSN to daikan
Quote:
Originally Posted by canesnecu View Post

Eat it.

daikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 08:57 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Haha yeah, I noticed Chip was a little snarky with his tweet this morning about Legace signing.

Quote:
ice_chip

TSN twitter says Legace will sign with Canes today. Imagine that. I guess it was a good educated guess after all.

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 12:54 PM
ajcbj

As a heads up, Ward got discharged from Riverside up here in CBus earlier today...hopefully he has a speedy recovery!

ajcbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 01:37 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleCooper View Post
Haha yeah, I noticed Chip was a little snarky with his tweet this morning about Legace signing.
Good for him. Serve it up to the cake eaters, Chip!

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote