HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

First to go?

Old
11-07-2009, 11:46 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

vCash: 500
First to go?

Who you got in the pool and in how many days?

I got Corvo on 11/18

would have taken Whitney til he got hurt

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 11:50 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Corvo before Wednesday.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 11:52 PM
impeach estaalo
timgleson

A.Ward, though that may screw up the tank as even Jay Harrison is better than him.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 11:57 PM
Joe McGrath

Someone would have to want A. Ward for us to get rid of him.

Our only legit trade bait is Cullen, Whitney, and Corvo.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 12:09 AM
Caniac4ever
Gleason 4 Norris

vCash: 1131
Package deal of LaRose and Corvo by the end of November...

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 12:15 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
We've got 3 days off before our next game, JR has said to be already 'active' in the trade market in comparison to other years. Since he came out public last week we've still been on the losing end of 3 in a row. Lastly, the GM's will be together in Toronto this week.

As for who goes, who knows. We've only got a select few that are likely of any interest and they all carry salaries that would likely be a better fit to move at the deadline, so we'll have to find a team we can negotiate with. JR's got his hands full here and it will likely take some creativity to make a move or two.

Either way, we're now in a much different spot than we were when JR spoke last week. I'm not sure if it motivates JR to do something more or less. We're now without Staal & C. Ward for what could be significant time. We were in a hole early last week when we heard from JR, now we just look plain screwed.

It's a sit back, wait & see approach.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 06:00 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

LaRose for Teddy Purcell straight up after wednesday.

I think we let the offers come to JR on the UFAs unless there's someone out there getting hit as hard with injuries as we are (Detroit)

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 06:44 AM
Mr Whipple
Charmin Soft

The good news is that the Canes' attendance will get a boost now that there will be so many scouts from every other team going to their games.

First gone will be Whitney, but JR will wait in a "bidding war" that will last until the beginning of December to open up an early rental season. Whitney, 12-9.

Mr Whipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 08:05 AM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

I'll say Corvo is the first to be dealt in the next week or two, and I would expect Rodney to get the call to replace him in the line-up.

JustJoe2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 12:01 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

I'll go off the board a bit and say Cullen goes, and it won't be before Staal gets back. With the emergence of Sutter, JR is going to force Mo to give him more time by making this move. Something like this I'm thinking:

Staal
Sutter
Brind'Amour
Yelle

Jokinen/Brind'Amour can alternate at wing and LW

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 12:18 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

I wouldn't be caught surprised if Jimmy brought back an old friend by the name of Martin Gerber. It's a pretty far stretch i'd imagine, but when I remind myself who our GM is, you just never know. Gerber is under contract with Mytishchi (KHL), so i'm not exactly sure if he could get out of that.

Also, another random thought from left field, Gerber's teammate Nik Zherdev, I wonder if there is absolutely any chance JR has thought about this kid. Granted he carries his baggage, we've brought in guys before who carry their share of headlines. It's a big stretch obviously as JR is not likely in the mood to deal with any disgruntled Europeans, but truth be told the kid just turned 25 and is a winger with lots of talent. Wonder how he'd look on a line with Staal? Just a random thought. Who knows, having no teams line up to sign him after the Rangers walked could wake the kid up a bit. If Ray Emery can go to Europe and come back a changed man, would it be worth a chance on Nik Zherdev? I'm not saying it would or wouldn't be, I just randomly saw his name while looking up Marty Gerber and had this random thought go through my mind.

Would anyone take a chance on Nikolai Zherdev? Truth be told if he were to have his head on straight and return to form the way Emery has, he could be a young interesting piece to add to the rebuilding of this team.

Old
11-08-2009, 12:32 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

If we sign Gerber he has to pass through waivers since he's played in the KHL.

It's either going to be someone that's still a UFA (Fernandez), recently retired (Weekes) or AHL fodder then call up Peters to back up Leighton.

I'd take a shot at Zherdev next offseason, but not right now. Again, waivers. If we do it now he'll probably be claimed before you can flinch.

Old
11-08-2009, 12:38 PM
knucklehead3k
Go Ontario Blizzards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Caniac View Post
The good news is that the Canes' attendance will get a boost now that there will be so many scouts from every other team going to their games.

First gone will be Whitney, but JR will wait in a "bidding war" that will last until the beginning of December to open up an early rental season. Whitney, 12-9.
ouch.

knucklehead3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
If we sign Gerber he has to pass through waivers since he's played in the KHL.

It's either going to be someone that's still a UFA (Fernandez), recently retired (Weekes) or AHL fodder then call up Peters to back up Leighton.

I'd take a shot at Zherdev next offseason, but not right now. Again, waivers. If we do it now he'll probably be claimed before you can flinch.

Wouldn't we get 1st shot at a claim via waivers since we're the worst team in the league?

As for Fernandez, he'd likely be injured within his first 5 games and we'd be in the same situation all over again. Not so sure i'd even take the chance.

Last edited by Guerzy: 11-08-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Old
11-08-2009, 12:40 PM
knucklehead3k
Go Ontario Blizzards

wouldn't moving brindy to a cup contender be great?
he's done a lot for the franchise, but it's time to move on.
quickly.

knucklehead3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 12:45 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Wouldn't we get 1st shot at a claim via waivers since we're the worst team in the league?
Nope. Last year, with the Isles in dead last in the league and Joey MacDonald injured, the Isles signed Dubielewicz who had been playing in the KHL. Columbus snagged him off waivers.

It's like if we waived Yelle again. Sure we'd technically have first shot at him, but since we're the ones that waived him the other 29 teams get their shot at him.

Honestly my preference is probably Weekes when thinking about all the options. Not even sure he's much of an upgrade of Leighton at this point but he's at least a familiar face.

Old
11-08-2009, 12:51 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead3k View Post
wouldn't moving brindy to a cup contender be great?
he's done a lot for the franchise, but it's time to move on.
quickly.
The only problem is, said team is a cup contender because they don't have players like Rod making $5 mil on their roster LOL

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Nope. Last year, with the Isles in dead last in the league and Joey MacDonald injured, the Isles signed Dubielewicz who had been playing in the KHL. Columbus snagged him off waivers.

It's like if we waived Yelle again. Sure we'd technically have first shot at him, but since we're the ones that waived him the other 29 teams get their shot at him.

Thanks for clearing that up. Guess that thought can be tossed out the window then.

My guess if we're going to sign someone - Curtis Joseph, Martin Gerber (I'd bet he clears waivers), Manny Legace, Kevin Weeks (If he wants to leave his broadcasting role, which I think he is doing quite well with). If we do make a trade, we may work in a goaltender into the deal. Or JR shifts Morrison to Albany and recalls Peters.

Last edited by Guerzy: 11-08-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old
11-11-2009, 04:33 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Corvo will be gone by the end of November.

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 07:49 AM
GoCanes2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
The only problem is, said team is a cup contender because they don't have players like Rod making $5 mil on their roster LOL
ALL THINGS considered, Rod hasn't been the problem thus far. Injuries have kind of forced the coaches' hand to put Rod out there in lots of situations, lots of ice time.

Tried a little data expirement:

Took each player and divided PTS, +/-, PIM, SOG and SPCT by his TOI.
Took those results and added:

PTS/TOI + (+/- / TOI)/5 - PIM/TOI + SOG/TOI + SPCT/TOI

Object here was to penalize for +/- but weight it less since it's more than just one guy that is on the ice for a goal against.

Anyway, the results of my 'quality' formula show the bottom guys on the team are:

Conboy -4.59
Alberts -.51
Kostopolous -.46
AWard -.24
Yelle -.19
Harrison -.17
Rodney -.09

And the top guys

Sutter 2.75
Jokinen 2.55
Whitney 2.47
Walker 2.39
Cullen 2.34
Ruutu 2.29
LaRose 2.27
Samsonov 2.22
Corvo 1.41
Staal 1.38
Brind'Amour 1.30
Cole 1.22
Wallin .74
Boychuk .49
Pitkanen .31
Gleason .21

Knowing this was far from scientific, but it's a consistent view across all players that rewards quality TOI (in my opinion), here are my thoughts:

Staal, Brid'Amour, Cole being so far down the positive list speak to value for our investment in them. They could improve.

Sutter, Jokinen, Ruutu, and Walker? Great value for the money, they need help but are really the guys (with Whitney) who seem to be holding some individual value.

Conboy, Alberts, Kostopolous, AWard, Yelle are unfortunately killing us. Any talk of depth in CAR stops when you get to these guys on both Offense and Defense.

Top 3 D Corvo, Pits and Gleason - keep 'em there, but get them better help from somewhere.

I would run these lines against the NYI based on these numbers:

Whitney-Sutter-Ruutu
Cole-Cullen-Jokinen
Samsonov-Brind'Amour-LaRose
Kostopolous-Yelle-Conboy

D-pairings

Corvo-Gleason
Pitkanen-Wallin
AWard-Alberts

GoCanes2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 08:02 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

I have an odd feeling something will happen today. Don't know why. I will say if we don't win tomorrow vs. The Islanders, I think Jimmy does something. Whether it has to do with waivers, one of our AHL guys coming up, a trade, something. Call it my hunch. I guess I just feel that somethings gotta give here.

Old
11-12-2009, 08:41 AM
dogbazinho

Even if we do make trades we'll be lucky to get anything near a 2nd rounder. This team historically makes "fair" trades and often limits their returns by dealing with ntcs and even when a small miracle occurs and there isn't one we still ask players where they want to go. Francis and Wesley were far better players, even past their prime, and we got 2nds at the deadline? I guess we could grab a prospect that's not panning out but chances are they won't pan out here either.

Best case scenario is we just rid the team of the vets thereby cementing our finish in the top 5. However, I fully expect a late rush to finish 10-15.

dogbazinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 09:29 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0rea11y View Post
Best case scenario is we just rid the team of the vets thereby cementing our finish in the top 5. However, I fully expect a late rush to finish 10-15.
Yah, our hands seem pretty tied. It just may be a case of riding what we've got until the right time comes to unload. I will go ape **** if we go on some 15 game hot streak at some point this season that places us in the 12-14'ish range for the draft yet out of the playoffs. It would be our luck.

Old
11-12-2009, 09:40 AM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by JussiRuutu View Post

Conboy, Alberts, Kostopolous, AWard, Yelle are unfortunately killing us. Any talk of depth in CAR stops when you get to these guys on both Offense and Defense.
You know what they say about stats........ other than Ward who was brought in to play top 4 minutes, its pretty hard to say two 4th liners and a healthy scratch are killing us. Its also a little strange to see Larose so high considering his nightly invisibilty, which maybe points to the fact that noone has been good. It would be interesting to see this formula applied to a team like San Jose so we would now which numbers are actually quality. We have no high quality numbers to compare Sutter's 2.75 to.

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:12 AM
GoCanes2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by eerodynamic View Post
You know what they say about stats........ other than Ward who was brought in to play top 4 minutes, its pretty hard to say two 4th liners and a healthy scratch are killing us. Its also a little strange to see Larose so high considering his nightly invisibilty, which maybe points to the fact that noone has been good. It would be interesting to see this formula applied to a team like San Jose so we would now which numbers are actually quality. We have no high quality numbers to compare Sutter's 2.75 to.
San Jose's top guys:

Marleau 5.03
Setoguchi 4.41
Heatley 3.88
Ferreiero 3.69
Thornton 3.55
Couture 2.85

Bottom Guys:

Shelley -6.95
Staubitz -.442
McLaren -.100

Nichols, Murray, Clowe and Huskins are their lowest 'regulars'

The whole point of my expirement was to value what the guys do during the time they're on the ice. "Quality for time played" - to see if there might be some shifting to reward quality on-ice time.

For our guys, even if they're 4th line, if they're a net negative while they're out there, why not try something/someone else?

GoCanes2013 is offline   Reply With Quote