HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

David Vyborny today - lazy, arrogant, unproductive

Old
11-08-2009, 04:22 AM
RebelMe
The Last Unconcussed

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to RebelMe
David Vyborny today - lazy, arrogant, unproductive

Hey guys, I just thought I'll give you an update on how club "legend" David Vyborny fares in Czech Republic today, roughly year and a half after leaving the NHL.

He has 11 points in 21 games (3+8). His team, Sparta Prague, is currently 7th (out of 14) which is a huge disappointment. Vyborny doesn't talk to the press lately, in his last interview he said that he "doesn't care what the fans think" and other things. Then he and his club denied this sentence so long, that it forced the newspaper to publish the audio on their website.

The latest development is, that Sparta Prague have fired their head coach Pavel Hynek. Hynek then stated, that after sixth match where he benched Vyborny's line in the third period, the older players like him and Rucinsky were insulted and stopped working for him. Way to go David.

Was he ever that arrogant as a member of the Blue Jackets?

RebelMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 06:19 AM
FiveHole23

11 points in 21 games doesnt seem to awful. Considering hes been benched since the 6th game... lol

Vyborny never really talked to the press here he was always quiet. But we always liked him, sounds like you guys expect alot from him.

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 06:26 AM
Renion

It's clear you've made up your mind, but I can't after only hearing the third side to the story. Of course, I often can't after hearing all sides to the story, as people are people and they lie, exaggerate, and so on.

I think I'd probably stick with my opinion--based on very little real evidence--that Vyborny is essentially a good person.

True story: I got someone to watch Kings by telling her that the prince looked like Vyborny. And he does.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 06:32 AM
RebelMe
The Last Unconcussed

Send a message via ICQ to RebelMe
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJrumble View Post
11 points in 21 games doesnt seem to awful. Considering hes been benched since the 6th game... lol

Vyborny never really talked to the press here he was always quiet. But we always liked him, sounds like you guys expect alot from him.
Nah, what I meant is that his line was benched in the middle of the third period in the sixth game. The next match, he was on the ice again, playing first line minutes...So essentialy it was 10 minutes of no ice time for him back then.

11 points is not much considering that he is supposed to be one of the top5 players of the league...

And to clarify - I'm not a Sparta Prague fan nor I carry any bias towards Vyborny. I respect him as a member of national team that won 5 World Championships. I was just absolutely disgusted when I heard the audio of his last interview and when I read what the fired coach had to tell about him.

RebelMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 08:23 AM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelMe View Post
Hey guys, I just thought I'll give you an update on how club "legend" David Vyborny fares in Czech Republic today, roughly year and a half after leaving the NHL.

He has 11 points in 21 games (3+8). His team, Sparta Prague, is currently 7th (out of 14) which is a huge disappointment. Vyborny doesn't talk to the press lately, in his last interview he said that he "doesn't care what the fans think" and other things. Then he and his club denied this sentence so long, that it forced the newspaper to publish the audio on their website.

The latest development is, that Sparta Prague have fired their head coach Pavel Hynek. Hynek then stated, that after sixth match where he benched Vyborny's line in the third period, the older players like him and Rucinsky were insulted and stopped working for him. Way to go David.

Was he ever that arrogant as a member of the Blue Jackets?
Sitting here reading this, I don't think I'd care what the fans thought either if this is a sample of what he's getting from them.

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 08:34 AM
slovakiasnextone

Well, that arrogant part doesn´t surprised me, if there is one Czech hockey player that is really loathed over here in Slovakia his name would be David Výborný. I don´t want to offend anybody, but from what I remember he had always been pretty arrogant.

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 09:12 AM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
I would be too if I were on so many World Championships teams

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 09:53 AM
skimp

To Sparta Prague:
Whipping boy du jour

To Columbus:
David Vyborny

I want my favorite Jacket back, too.

skimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 10:03 AM
Ludicrous Speed

FWIW, my best friend's brother sold Vyborny a car while he was in Columbus, and he said he was a ******.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Doug19

vCash: 50
wouldn't surprise me. He is the guy who wanted to run back home because the team wasn't a winner, but when he realized we were getting a lot better he wanted to stay.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 11:09 AM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Sounds like his last year in Columbus too.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 05:42 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Fire Pavel Hynek!

- oh wait.

how old is Vybo now?
Posted via Mobile Device

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 11:50 PM
Handyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelMe View Post
and when I read what the fired coach had to tell about him.
Wow, amazing that a fired personnel might say something negative about his former team. Never would have guessed that

Handyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 12:11 AM
CoachWithNoTeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRiffle View Post
wouldn't surprise me. He is the guy who wanted to run back home because the team wasn't a winner, but when he realized we were getting a lot better he wanted to stay.
this doesnt sound like something that actually happened

CoachWithNoTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 01:16 AM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachWithNoTeam View Post
this doesnt sound like something that actually happened
It's certainly an interesting interpretation of what did happen, though. Vyborny was long upfront with the probability of he and his family going back home eventually. Can't imagine he saw any great improvements in the 06/07 or 07/08 teams that desperately made him want to remain a Blue Jacket just so he could ride the Believe Train to nowhere, however.

I also think it's revisionist history to say Vyborny in his last season with the Jackets suffered from laziness. It's interesting how one of our most consistent players over the years suddenly earned the "lazy" tag after one season where he'd suffered a bad injury and obviously looked like he was losing a step.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 03:20 AM
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

So much of this seems to be taken out of context. Doesn't care what the fans think about what? In what context?

This reminds me of the part of the movie in "The Terminal" When Guptka tells Viktor (Tom Hanks) that he's a coward for going home, when Guptka doesn't have the actual context of what's going on, and doesn't realize Viktor is saving the jobs of his friends by leaving, and ultimately, saving Guptka from getting deported.

Anyway, what my point is, so many of this is from small portions of a much larger context, which we don't have here.

Instead of lazy, arrogant and unpreductive, you could just as easily say, "getting older, has a family, there are younger emerging stars in the league."

"Doesn't care what the fans think" because he has a family to take care of? Because he's close to retirement? Doesn't care what the fans think about him? The team? The coach? The price of a beer? His play?

As far as leaving, I don't blame him for wanting to be on a team that can win. We don't blame Nash for staying because of the direction of the team now, but we blame Vyborny for wanting to leave because he saw the team's direction differently? I believe his official excuse was that he wanted to raise his kids in his homeland.

Besides that, I'd rather that he change his mind, because he saw the team was having upside, rather than changing his mind, because we offered him X amount more money.

But I don't really care, he's a hockey player playing in another continent. He was a good part of this team and I enjoyed watching him, probably my all-time favorite Jacket. That much I'll say, because that much I know. Anything other than that, I don't care until I experiance it first hand.

Friedrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 05:32 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
But I don't really care, he's a hockey player playing in another continent. He was a good part of this team and I enjoyed watching him, probably my all-time favorite Jacket. That much I'll say, because that much I know. Anything other than that, I don't care until I experiance it first hand.
Good post, Bugg. Especially this last part. Count me in.

Old
11-09-2009, 07:52 AM
LetsGOJackets!!

I'm with Bugg & DSL..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
Good post, Bugg. Especially this last part. Count me in.
This opinion doesn't match what I saw with my own eyes.. David Vyborny was always underestimated, and under appreciated imo. I am not second guessing Scott Howson, David's time in Columbus was over, and we needed to play the younger guys. But Vybes did his best, he would have been the perfect right wing on a third line of a good team.. with us he had to play up, out of position, and he still did well.

Good luck living your life Vybes! We have your back..

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 08:25 AM
blahblah

Don't care about player arrogance or how they interact with the fans, other then being civil to the kids.

If he's slumping and getting hammered, it's not surprising that you might say something you might not otherwise would.

He's a hockey player, the definition of which does not happen to include any personality traits. Postive or negative.

Quote:
David Vyborny ..... , and under appreciated imo.
Please. Unappreciated? Come on.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 08:43 AM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
I believe his official excuse was that he wanted to raise his kids in his homeland.
This is the point that I recall the most. Also, I remember reading somewhere that he was a little upset that his kids were learning English as their first language, and having to teach them Czech.

Regardless I will always remember his sweet dishes, and scoring bad angle goals (some standing on the goal line), most of all his maestro gesture after one of his goals.

Last edited by Jaxs: 11-09-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 09:46 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Don't care about player arrogance or how they interact with the fans, other then being civil to the kids.

If he's slumping and getting hammered, it's not surprising that you might say something you might not otherwise would.

He's a hockey player, the definition of which does not happen to include any personality traits. Postive or negative.

Yeah, I pretty much agree. He's not the player he used to be, and really hasn't been for several years. Was he an a-hole off the ice? I have no idea, but I always thought he was a stand up guy on the ice(blocking shots, passing the puck, etc).
I believe it was said that he was Mr. Mac's favorite Jacket, does that mean he was a "good person" or a "good player/employee" ? I have no idea.

He was and is appreciated. Here are the forums you'll find plenty of appreciation for his contributions to the early years. I wouldn't say he is unappreciated.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 11:07 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Um. LGJ said "underappreciated", not "unappreciated". Relative versus absolute.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 11:12 AM
DougKnowsBest

he always had such a quite confidence... i can see where when pushed he would come back like that... but since its so out of context its hard to really to get worked up over

dude busted his ass for us

DougKnowsBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Doug19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
It's certainly an interesting interpretation of what did happen, though. Vyborny was long upfront with the probability of he and his family going back home eventually. Can't imagine he saw any great improvements in the 06/07 or 07/08 teams that desperately made him want to remain a Blue Jacket just so he could ride the Believe Train to nowhere, however.

I also think it's revisionist history to say Vyborny in his last season with the Jackets suffered from laziness. It's interesting how one of our most consistent players over the years suddenly earned the "lazy" tag after one season where he'd suffered a bad injury and obviously looked like he was losing a step.
Well if I recall the situation he wanted to go home because he wanted to raise his family in the home country and that is the reason he gave for wanting to go his separate way at the end of his contract. When the team started to look a lot better he told Howson that he indeed wanted to stay, but Howson chose to wait and see how the following season went. That to me says that the whole Jackets sucking had something to do with him wanting to give up all the hard work he had put into this team in years past. I wouldn't call him lazy, and I loved him as a player, but it wouldn't surprise me if he was arrogant. As others have said though, I don't know the context the comment was made so my view of Vyborny will remain the same...He was great for us and I appreciate the great years and loyalty he did give us sticking through the DM years couldn't have been easy. Although if Mr. McConnell loved the guy he was obviously a great person.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 11:53 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRiffle View Post
Well if I recall the situation he wanted to go home because he wanted to raise his family in the home country and that is the reason he gave for wanting to go his separate way at the end of his contract. When the team started to look a lot better he told Howson that he indeed wanted to stay, but Howson chose to wait and see how the following season went. That to me says that the whole Jackets sucking had something to do with him wanting to give up all the hard work he had put into this team in years past. I wouldn't call him lazy, and I loved him as a player, but it wouldn't surprise me if he was arrogant. As others have said though, I don't know the context the comment was made so my view of Vyborny will remain the same...He was great for us and I appreciate the great years and loyalty he did give us sticking through the DM years couldn't have been easy. Although if Mr. McConnell loved the guy he was obviously a great person.
I don't think the team's success had much to do with him deciding to stay, or at least publicly. It was all family related.

Guys change their mind all the time on this sort of thing. Lidstrom said similar things himself at the beginning of the decade. I don't think the team's success was the sole reason.