HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Vyborny today - lazy, arrogant, unproductive

Old
11-09-2009, 08:22 PM
DougKnowsBest

vCash: 500
he also had a real dry ass sense of humor

the jim day david vyborny interviews are classic... oh sweet jesus please let there be one on youtube

DougKnowsBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 09:51 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Um. LGJ said "underappreciated", not "unappreciated". Relative versus absolute.
Typo on my part. No reason to split hairs on this one, because neither was true.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 10:01 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougKnowsBest View Post
he always had such a quite confidence... i can see where when pushed he would come back like that... but since its so out of context its hard to really to get worked up over

dude busted his ass for us
Except his last year and a half with us.

Pretty much everyone noticed he had lost a step or two.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 11:12 AM
LetsGOJackets!!

BS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Typo on my part. No reason to split hairs on this one, because neither was true.
Vyborny even commented on this at various times. Dude was first line with Jagr for the Chech's in the Worlds and the Olympics, but was under appreciated on his own team. This was debated ad nauseum in prior years.. go look it up.

Typical wet blanket approach

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Except his last year and a half with us.

Pretty much everyone noticed he had lost a step or two.
It was after that injury via the Erat hit in the preseason 2007, he never looked the same after that hit. He was slower, more hesitant, and played with a great deal of trepidation and caution. I believe that was his first and only serious injury of his career, and it left a physical and psychological dent in his game.

Prior to that, he was the definition of a bargain player.

I don't think you'll find another Blue Jacket (non RFA) that played as many games and scored as many points per contract dollar than Vyborny. His numbers in 04, 05, and 06 were as good or better than guys on this team making 2 to 3 times his salary.

I guess under appreciated is hard to agree with for me without knowing who we are talking about. Hitch certainly appreciated him and dubbed him the best player on the team in his first year at the helm, but his contract at the same time says "underappreciated".

Then management changed and Vyborny's last year was terrible. I wouldn't say Howson underappreciated him, he just realistically looked at the last full season Vyborny played and decided we didn't have a spot for this guy at this point in his career on this team.

If you followed the team through the early years, I imagine you fully appreciate him for obvious reasons. Some of the newer fans I don't think do, and thats understandable too.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 12:31 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

Enough said..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
I don't think you'll find another Blue Jacket (non RFA) that played as many games and scored as many points per contract dollar than Vyborny. His numbers in 04, 05, and 06 were as good or better than guys on this team making 2 to 3 times his salary.

but his contract at the same time says "underappreciated".

Appreciated, under appreciated.. very subjective terms. Show me the money.. that makes it relative terms. I think I said I wouldn't second guess Howson on this and David's play had fallen off, but for a long time he was the best, most consistent Jacket that most outside of this board didn't really even know.

This is my point.. thanks for helping me clarify it.

Old
11-10-2009, 12:41 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGOJackets!! View Post
Vyborny even commented on this at various times. Dude was first line with Jagr for the Chech's in the Worlds and the Olympics, but was under appreciated on his own team. This was debated ad nauseum in prior years.. go look it up.

Typical wet blanket approach
Aww.. Did the poor little dude getting his feelings hurt? If I would have known that I would have baked him some cookies to make him feel better.

Just because he felt underappreciated didn't mean he was. Seriously, if someone complains about being underappreciated will be the moment I completely tune them out. Especially if he's complaing about his teammates.

As far the any debate, I've seen enough group hugs for this guy over the years to make me ill. He certainly wasn't underappreciated by the fans or Snoop Doug E. Mac. He was one of our best players on crappy teams. I appreciate that he took a salary for all those years we sucked, put up decent numbers, and made me forget from time to time how bad we really were.

Underappreciated? Once again, please.

Old
11-10-2009, 12:45 PM
blahblah

Quote:
It was after that injury via the Erat hit in the preseason 2007, he never looked the same after that hit. He was slower, more hesitant, and played with a great deal of trepidation and caution.
I still don't buy it.

Old
11-10-2009, 01:15 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

We disagree.. so what?

Quote:
Aww.. Did the poor little dude getting his feelings hurt? If I would have known that I would have baked him some cookies to make him feel better.
Group hugs, cookies feelings.. WTF? I think the contention was about money and term. No problem.. have a nice day..

Last edited by LetsGOJackets!!: 11-10-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old
11-10-2009, 01:39 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

I agree with this..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougKnowsBest View Post
he also had a real dry ass sense of humor

the jim day david vyborny interviews are classic... oh sweet jesus please let there be one on youtube
probably better than the Klesla interviews.. Thanks Jimday.

Old
11-10-2009, 03:10 PM
Happy Pony

At least he's not fat like a certain current Jacket.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 03:26 PM
Palinka

Quote:
I still don't buy it.
The smallest child could see how ineffective he had become. Whether this was already beginning to happen and the injury simply made it more noticeable or whether the injury was in fact more devastating from a mental standpoint than he would let on is beside the point.

(Forgive me if this comes across as harsh; it's not my intention but text doesn't communicate emotion well.)

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 05:24 PM
GreaterGood

Send a message via Skype™ to GreaterGood
Quote:
It was after that injury via the Erat hit in the preseason 2007, he never looked the same after that hit. He was slower, more hesitant, and played with a great deal of trepidation and caution. I believe that was his first and only serious injury of his career, and it left a physical and psychological dent in his game.

Prior to that, he was the definition of a bargain player.

I guess under appreciated is hard to agree with for me without knowing who we are talking about. Hitch certainly appreciated him and dubbed him the best player on the team in his first year at the helm, but his contract at the same time says "underappreciated".

Then management changed and Vyborny's last year was terrible. I wouldn't say Howson underappreciated him, he just realistically looked at the last full season Vyborny played and decided we didn't have a spot for this guy at this point in his career on this team.

If you followed the team through the early years, I imagine you fully appreciate him for obvious reasons. Some of the newer fans I don't think do, and thats understandable too.
That's a great post right there.

GreaterGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
In the early years Vyborny was a fan favorite of some, I thought he was so-so. As time went on he improved but never reached any heights of significance. He should never have been resigned to his last 2 year contract-he was not that good.

Just another of many players that where below championship abilty..

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 08:43 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
In the early years Vyborny was a fan favorite of some, I thought he was so-so. As time went on he improved but never reached any heights of significance. He should never have been resigned to his last 2 year contract-he was not that good.

Just another of many players that where below championship abilty..
Vyborny lead the team in points in the 2nd to last year with the team, Robert. He had his best season of his career before getting blindsided by Erat.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 10:30 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Vyborny lead the team in points in the 2nd to last year with the team, Robert. He had his best season of his career before getting blindsided by Erat.

Ya, I guess he did, 65 points. Was that the season after he was thinking of going back to Europe or am I thinking of another player? I also remember four years of around 40 points or so, as I said he improved.

Old
11-10-2009, 10:38 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Was he really that good, or were we just really that bad and grasping?

Did-DANT hurt that he played with Nick Rash.

Confession: I was never a big Vybo fan.
From my public point of view, there was something about his game which seemed to match his personality and rumors about his behavior =a lack of intensity, and a habit of taking the night off.

Last edited by JACKETfan: 11-11-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old
11-10-2009, 10:45 PM
skimp

David Vyborny once scored a goal with his face.

skimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 10:50 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:

Did hurt that he played with Nick Rash.

From my public point of view, there was something about his game which seemed to match his personality and rumors about his behavior =a lack of intensity, and a habit of taking the night off.
Nor I, you phrased it well. He was decent relative to the team roster. .

Old
11-10-2009, 11:18 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Quote:

Did hurt that he played with Nick Rash.

Vyborny outscored Nash 3 of the 5 seasons they played together.

Edit: Is that what you meant to say in the bolded part? Or did you mean "Didn't hurt that he played with Nash" ?

Old
11-11-2009, 12:48 AM
Renion

At least two thirds of Vyborny's assists in his two best seasons did not come from helping Nash. At least.

Nash certainly helped Vyborny by being a great finisher when they teamed up on goals. But have people already forgotten what a great passer Vyborny was? I remember posting at the beginning of one season how it seemed like Vyborny was the one carrying Nash, with one sweet setup after another.

I know it's hard for people to believe, but from time to time we did have some quality players back in the dark ages. Probably would have had even more if we had ever been able to use some of them in the right capacity.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 10:05 AM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
At least two thirds of Vyborny's assists in his two best seasons did not come from helping Nash. At least.

Nash certainly helped Vyborny by being a great finisher when they teamed up on goals. But have people already forgotten what a great passer Vyborny was? I remember posting at the beginning of one season how it seemed like Vyborny was the one carrying Nash, with one sweet setup after another.

I know it's hard for people to believe, but from time to time we did have some quality players back in the dark ages. Probably would have had even more if we had ever been able to use some of them in the right capacity.
Hitchcock's first year was a year where Nash had to learn how to play defense, so his goal scoring was very lacking. Vyborny had a career high in assists that season.

Old
11-11-2009, 12:34 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Vyborny outscored Nash 3 of the 5 seasons they played together.

Edit: Is that what you meant to say in the bolded part? Or did you mean "Didn't hurt that he played with Nash" ?
Did-DANT.

Apparently people have forgotten that nobody took the Jackets seriously so they let us score every now and then.

...Questioning the "Quality" of those points without my "early years" rose colored glasses on.

Old
11-11-2009, 01:26 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Did-DANT.

Apparently people have forgotten that nobody took the Jackets seriously so they let us score every now and then.

...Questioning the "Quality" of those points without my "early years" rose colored glasses on.
Low quality points? Is there really such a thing?

He led the team in points 2 seasons in a row(05/06 and 06/07) with 65 and 64 points. If you don't like the player because of his non physical game, then thats cool, but you can't downplay his contributions offensively or on the PK.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Nash isn't known for his hard hitting game either, folks.