HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"the Leafs...look like a club that at least has a chance to vie for a playoff berth."

Old
11-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Muskoka5Ghosts*

vCash: 500
"the Leafs...look like a club that at least has a chance to vie for a playoff berth."

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...nt-for-victory

and another doozy:

"Much of that is owed to Gustavsson, possibly a genuine Calder Trophy candidate. He's a wall along the goal line and in 462 minutes of NHL play has yet to give up a soft goal."

i'm certainly glad the Leafs are winning, but Cox is getting a little carried away.

maybe HE should plan the Cup Parade.

Muskoka5Ghosts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Hurt

Nowhere does he say 'Plan the Parade'. He's just saying there ARE positives to the team. I disagree about the soft goals (maybe 1 ) but Gustavsson has in general, been solid.

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 10:41 AM
Muskoka5Ghosts*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th4thurt View Post
Nowhere does he say 'Plan the Parade'. He's just saying there ARE positives to the team. I disagree about the soft goals (maybe 1 ) but Gustavsson has in general, been solid.
no. nowhere in this article does he say 'Plan the Parade'.

Old
11-08-2009, 10:41 AM
Northern Dancer

I cannot believe the turn-around in Cox, must have finally realized the power of MLSE when they supposedly got idiot boy Strachan fired from HNIC over his ridiculous book about the Leafs.

Anyway glad to see him become postive on the Buds, it has been a long time since the media was on-side.

Northern Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Muskoka5Ghosts*

i'm happy about all the positives: wins, kessel, goaltending, etc. i just think it's a little too early to talk about Calder+Playoffs. if the leafs can keep winning (keep in mind they only have 3), and Teh Monster can play like this all season then yes let's talk Calder+Playoffs.

what's the opposite of user Panic Button? maybe we need user Leafs' Kool-Aid to post here.

Old
11-08-2009, 10:48 AM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

Someone should compile a list of all of his headlines for each day in the season.

theaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 10:52 AM
dybbuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
Someone should compile a list of all of his headlines for each day in the season.
That is a good idea. lol The Trials and Tribulations the The Leafs.

dybbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 10:55 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimnew View Post
i'm happy about all the positives: wins, kessel, goaltending, etc. i just think it's a little too early to talk about Calder+Playoffs. if the leafs can keep winning (keep in mind they only have 3), and Teh Monster can play like this all season then yes let's talk Calder+Playoffs.

what's the opposite of user Panic Button? maybe we need user Leafs' Kool-Aid to post here.
While I'd agree with you on the Calder praise, I'd hope the Leafs would still have a chance to vie for a playoff spot

Nothing wrong with Cox speculating on that. Especially if the Leafs can continue receiving the strong goaltending that they currently are.

Either way, regardless of how the season does play out it's important to have building blocks. And it's extremely important, and a relief, to have one of them in net (or, so it seems at the moment).

Doesn't really matter to me if Gustavsson wins the Calder, as long as he can be a legit starting goalie.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 11:07 AM
Courage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
While I'd agree with you on the Calder praise, I'd hope the Leafs would still have a chance to vie for a playoff spot
I'd say the two are related. If they can get in the playoffs, Gustavsson will be a Calder candidate.

Courage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 11:17 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courage View Post
I'd say the two are related. If they can get in the playoffs, Gustavsson will be a Calder candidate.
I was going to say that too. The playoffs will depend on the goaltending.

Not that this is a shock to anyone though.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 11:22 AM
The Mauve Avenger

I think that if Hurricane Gustav continues to roll like he has and helps the Leafs win, I could see the playoffs and a Calder Trophy nomination as a possibility.

The Mauve Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 11:32 AM
ihlmvp

All hail the Block Nets Monster

ihlmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 11:34 AM
Fenton

What's with Cox this season... is he playing mind tricks on us? He has been pretty positive since the start of the season. I really don't understand why. I've read articles form him complementing our effort, our prospects and he continues to say we should be in a battle for a playoff spot regardless of how bad we started.

Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 11:36 AM
dubey
Phagoof am i rite??/

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mauve Avenger View Post
I think that if Hurricane Gustav continues to roll like he has and helps the Leafs win, I could see the playoffs and a Calder Trophy nomination as a possibility.
If the Leafs make the playoffs because of him, he could win the Hart trophy. Calder would almost be a certainty.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 11:45 AM
TheProspector

It's a very measured article IMO.

"Plan the parade" my ass:

Quote:
Much of that is owed to Gustavsson, possibly a genuine Calder Trophy candidate.
For a guy who has posted a .918 / 2.60 on a pretty rough Leafs team, he is. Additionally, he's actually posted better numbers in every consecutive game for the last 5 games: .889, .893, .938, .944 & .972.

Without this guy, we still wouldn't have a win!!

TheProspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 11:50 AM
Adversary

I don't really find anything wrong with that article.

Quote:
look like a club that at least has a chance to vie for a playoff berth.
That statement is far from planning a parade.

Adversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 11:55 AM
grind your soul
Belak forever

Send a message via ICQ to grind your soul Send a message via MSN to grind your soul
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihlmvp View Post
All hail the Block Nets Monster
That's awesome.

grind your soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 11:58 AM
bionic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
What's with Cox this season... is he playing mind tricks on us? He has been pretty positive since the start of the season. I really don't understand why. I've read articles form him complementing our effort, our prospects and he continues to say we should be in a battle for a playoff spot regardless of how bad we started.
He picked the Leafs to make the playoffs before the season had started. I guess he just wants to be right. Either that or his wife who is a huge leaf fan is with holding something from cox untill he lightens up on the leafs.

bionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 12:01 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

It's an honest and realistic view of the Leafs. I'm as surprised as the next guy that he's become so positive all of a sudden, but really, what was there to be positive about in years past. He has actually said what I've been thinking.

My favorite lines from the article was:

Quote:
None of this makes Ron Wilson's club a juggernaut. But competence will suffice when total incompetence was the rule not long ago.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 12:01 PM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProspector View Post
It's a very measured article IMO.

"Plan the parade" my ass:

For a guy who has posted a .918 / 2.60 on a pretty rough Leafs team, he is. Additionally, he's actually posted better numbers in every consecutive game for the last 5 games: .889, .893, .938, .944 & .972.

Without this guy, we still wouldn't have a win!!
Or one could say - Without Toskala we'd have 7 wins

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 12:04 PM
bobermay

I've never felt that we were out of the playoffs... its a loooooooooooooong season. I realized that if we played the way we were in the first 10 games, we wouldn't have a chance, but the leafs have pretty good depth... just lacking in the elite forward position.

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 12:06 PM
dubey
Phagoof am i rite??/

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimnew View Post
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...nt-for-victory

and another doozy:

"Much of that is owed to Gustavsson, possibly a genuine Calder Trophy candidate. He's a wall along the goal line and in 462 minutes of NHL play has yet to give up a soft goal."

i'm certainly glad the Leafs are winning, but Cox is getting a little carried away.

maybe HE should plan the Cup Parade.
I don't know what's worse, your total misunderstanding of the article or Cox writing a positive piece on the Leafs.

Last edited by dubey: 11-08-2009 at 03:15 PM.
dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 12:10 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

this reassurance from a braintrust like damien cox should help me sleep at nights

p.l.f. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 12:23 PM
Kadri010

Never been a fan of Cox (no pun intended), but it's nice to see him say some good things about the team. The Toronto media can often be pretty harsh, and quite stupid to be honest. With Gus in net though, I think the leafs have a chance to win everygame. I am definitly not saying that they will, just that there is a chance. With Toskala in net, I feel like there is almost no hope.

With the calder consideration... it will be hard for Gus to win it out over some of the big rookies like Tavares, Van Riemsdyke, the two centres in Colorado, etc. But by seasons end, I expect him to be in the voting for sure. Probably the way Lundquist was in his rookie year, where he played amazing but got beat out by some crazy good rookies (I think that was Crosby's/Ovi's rookie year? Correct me if I am wrong). He might come up short to John T because of the opportunities John is getting in the Island.

Regardless, I am just happy that our team can actually win games now lol. The start of the season was tough to swallow, and quite embaressing to be honest. But now things are coming together... especially our blue line. BTW, does anyone know the severity of Komi's injury last night? I just haven't heard anything yet.

Kadri010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Platapie

I think the playoffs is pushing it, but I'm OK with that. I just don't want the Bruins getting a top 5 pick. If we can make it top 10 at best, then I'd be very, very happy with more inspired play but a lack of post season.

Platapie is offline   Reply With Quote