HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Atmosphere's you're impressed with so far

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2004, 12:13 PM
Snakeeye

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
It's unarguable that in the playoffs Edmonton has the loudest fans - but this year who has impressed you in the playoffs so far from the games you've seen?
It is very arguable if the Oilers have the loudest fans. You guys were incredibly quiet for most of this year...

I'd argue the building makes Oiler fans seem louder than they are. 16,839 fans in a building that is big enough to only seat 15,000 comfortably, with that tin roof compacts and reflects the sound considerably.

Same reason why the Chicago stadium was so loud, yet the United Centre is comparitavely quiet - even when there was a reason to cheer for Chicago.

Edmonton had (emphasis on had) a great atmosphere in the playoffs because of the building. The fans themselves are no greater or lesser than anyone else.

Old
04-13-2004, 12:27 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

To be honest, I have to say that all rinks have impressed me so far. I was watching the Devils Flyers game, and the fans went insane after some of those goals.

I like Montreal (the drums especially during the Go Habs Go chants, its awesome), and Calgary, who really went all out. They chanted pretty much the whole game, and mostly wore red.

For some reason, the crowd in Vancouver makes me uncomfortable. I might be wrong, but do they chant "Bull**it" after some questionable calls? If they do, I don't respect that. There's more civilized ways to protest calls, like booing. I also don't like the mindless chants like, "Calgary sucks." I've been hearing that a lot more in Canucks games then other rinks. But then again, Canucks have some great fans and have a loud rink.

Oh yeah, this is off topic, but have you guys noticed that some of the same fans appear game after game and are noticeable. Like you watch a Stars game at the AAC, there is a guy in one of the front rows who wears different CHURLA 27 jerseys. I've seen this guy since they moved to that building. And for the Canucks, there is that kid who wears a SKUDRA 1 jersey who high fives the players as they come in. Those kinds of things are awesome, and its cool to see.

Last edited by Tricolore#20: 04-13-2004 at 12:31 PM.
Old
04-13-2004, 12:43 PM
Oilers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeeye
Edmonton had a great atmosphere in the playoffs because of the building.
Yes, it was all because of the building and nothing to do with the fans. Rexall is quiet in the regular season but Rexall still has the decibel record and still blows everyone away in the playoffs, and no, its not because of the 'tin roof'. Thats something no fan who envies our atmosphere can take away from us.

Anyways, it's great to see buildings like GEC and Centre Bell that don't rely on horns and thundersticks to make some noise! I think Vancouver was quieter this year, but should pick up for Game 5. I heard Canucks fans are talking about a 'Whiteout'. Is this true?

Old
04-13-2004, 12:57 PM
Takeo

Booing the National Anthem negates whatever positives are concluded about the Montreal crowd.

Old
04-13-2004, 01:02 PM
HellsBells

Quote:
Yes, it was all because of the building and nothing to do with the fans. Rexall is quiet in the regular season but Rexall still has the decibel record and still blows everyone away in the playoffs, and no, its not because of the 'tin roof'. Thats something no fan who envies our atmosphere can take away from us.

Anyways, it's great to see buildings like GEC and Centre Bell that don't rely on horns and thundersticks to make some noise! I think Vancouver was quieter this year, but should pick up for Game 5. I heard Canucks fans are talking about a 'Whiteout'. Is this true?

Someone upset because nobody is talking about the Oilers or their crowds. I have seen many games where the fans are just as loud as the Oilers fans, stop flattering yourself. Nobody cares about the Oilers crowds, after all, this is PLAYOFF discussion. If the Oilers make it next year and the crowds are loud, have fun bragging about it but right now Oilers chat belongs on the Oilers board not in the PLAYOFF section.

Many people enjoyed the crowd in Calgary (even Oilers fans) but you are so stubborn that you can't even give them props. It's pretty sad really.

Old
04-13-2004, 01:09 PM
Snakeeye

Quote:
If you were in the Saddledome on Sunday, or at any time in the late 80s/early 90s, you would know there is nothing for Calgary to be envious about.

And yes, I am aware of the "decibel record." I'm also sure that the Oilers used a precicely tuned meter that wasnt rigged in any way to decieve anyone. Calgary has a decibel meter that reads the same number regardless of how loud the building is. It's a tool to hype up fans, nothing more.

As for your implication that I said it had "nothing to do with the fans", all I am going ot say is learn to read. I said that Edmonton fans are no greater or lesser than anyone else.

Old
04-13-2004, 01:24 PM
Nikkowar

Send a message via AIM to Nikkowar Send a message via MSN to Nikkowar
Homer vote for me would be Philly,but Nashville was ****ing wild. It sounded to me like a Euro soccer game. It was everything you could ask for in a playoff hockey crowd-the rally towels,the loud cheers,it was amazing

Old
04-13-2004, 01:41 PM
Oilers Hockey

Philly's right up there. I only watched the hilites but man, it was pretty wild.

And Garfield and Snakeeye, go take your trolling somewhere else. Nobody asked you to turn this into yet another Edm/Cgy thing just because of your insecurity. Thx and enjoy the game tonite.

Old
04-13-2004, 01:43 PM
Mizral

Vancouver and Calgary have both been exceptionally loud - though let's give the edge to Calgary here, since they waited so long, and it was like a dam going to burst for them.

Nashville for my money was very loud,

However, how about San Jose? That building (HP Pavillion) is amongst the loudest in the league, and when Dimitrakos scored that OT winner, the place went CRAZY.

Old
04-13-2004, 01:45 PM
Oilers Hockey

Agreed on San Jose - I watched some of Game 1, OT was insane! I love OT in the playoffs, its so exciting. It was great to watched the BOO too, ACC and Corel were jumpin! I guess thats because pretty much every matchup this year is really good.

Old
04-13-2004, 02:04 PM
HellsBells

Quote:
Philly's right up there. I only watched the hilites but man, it was pretty wild.

And Garfield and Snakeeye, go take your trolling somewhere else. Nobody asked you to turn this into yet another Edm/Cgy thing just because of your insecurity. Thx and enjoy the game tonite.
Stop making snide remarks and you may get your wish.

Enjoy the Flames game tonite too, but of course not the crowd because they are nothing like the Oilers and plus they need thundersticks and horns, right ??

You say let's not turn it into a EDM/CGY thing but you make little snide remarks like "at least they don't need thundersticks or horns to make noise". Anyway, whatever you say mickelsonfan....errrr...I mean.....woodsfan....oops....I'll get it....weirfan....no.........hemskyfan. I knew it was some golfer's name.

Old
04-13-2004, 03:11 PM
habsfan9

Send a message via MSN to habsfan9
IVE BEEN TO MY SHARE OF HABS GAMES, AND I WAS THERE FOR GAME 3, AND I HAVE NO DOUBT IN MY MIND THAT THE BELL CENTRE IS THE LOUDEST BUILDING, THAT HABS FAN ARE THE CRAZIEST FAN, AND THAT THE ATMOSPHERE IN THE BELL CENTRE IS UNSURMOUNTABLE, SO WTV PPL SAY CALGARY NASHVILLE COLORADO WTV, THEYRE GOOD, BUT THEY ARENT EVEN IN THE SAME LEAGUE AS MONTREAL, WERE THE 6TH MAN IN THE LINEUP AND WE TRASH DOWNTOWN WHEN OUR TEAM WINS, WHO CAN BEAT THAT, SO I WOULD RENAME THIS POLL " WHO, SECOND ONLY 2 MONTREAL, HAS THE BEST ATMOSPHERE"

Old
04-13-2004, 03:29 PM
ohlund2.2

Pretty much all of the buildings have been good..

Well, with the exception of Continental Airlines Arena.

Old
04-13-2004, 04:05 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield
Good for Dowd but that hardly makes it the loudest. I would say it is a toss-up between Nashville, Calgary & Montreal.
I never said it was the loudest..... Damn, I just pointed out that it was loud, nothing more! Like I said earlier in the thread, it's a toss-up between MTL, CGY and NAS (just like you said...).

Old
04-14-2004, 12:53 AM
not quite yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
Booing the National Anthem negates whatever positives are concluded about the Montreal crowd.
Just because A) hapenned doesn't mean that B) never hapenned.

Anyways, I'll bet you 10$ BTN booes the anthem on Thursday. And if CGY, VCR, TOR and OTT were all playing American cities, much of the same crap would be going down. It isn't fair for you to single out one town.

Old
04-14-2004, 01:01 AM
Heathen

Send a message via ICQ to Heathen Send a message via AIM to Heathen Send a message via MSN to Heathen Send a message via Yahoo to Heathen
The Saddledome was a Zoo again tonight.... freaking amazing.

Flames fans are making the most of this.

Old
04-14-2004, 01:06 AM
GJB
- - - -

vCash: 50
Calgary......

Old
04-14-2004, 09:04 AM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
If Ottawa scores a goal, they'll take the crown. Or should that be .

Anyways, of the games I've seen, Nashville impressed me the most. Of course, it helps when the team is winning. The true test for fans is to keep up the noise level when the home team is down by a goal or two.

Old
04-14-2004, 09:13 AM
Zhackpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLUC20
Nashville really impressed me. I wasn't surprised with Calgary. I knew they'd be loud, so that was expected... but Nashville... WOW. Great, great atmosphere.

That's funny.

For years the Saddledome was quieter than a library or a funeral home. Now a great atmosphere is expected. That is shocking to hear. I have to say Calgary has been the best. Heck you could hear the fans singing the national anthem before game 3. In the past, you couldn't hear the person sitting next to you sing it (unless you were sitting next to me and then you were wishing you couldn't hear me sing it ).

Having been a lifelong Flames fan and growing up in the city, a loud atmosphere is never expected at the Dome. Having said that this year's playoffs are the loudest I have ever heard the Dome and is definitely louder than back in 89 and probably louder than 86. The only time the Dome used to get loud for playoffs was when we faced the Oilers. Friend of mine at the games tells me crowd is much younger than when the Flames were last in the playoffs. I will concur the crowd used to be made up of 40-50 year old executives. Not exactly jersey wearing screamers.

Old
04-14-2004, 10:23 AM
Snakeeye

I dont think the comment was so funny. The Library closed back when we beat Toronto in November. The building has gotten louder and louder as the season went on.

But for game 3, you knew that Calgary was going to be nuts. Nashville is a team that had difficulty even selling out down the stretch. While you knew the fans would be loud, there was nothing to suggest that they would be that loud. very impressive to be sure.

Old
04-14-2004, 10:37 AM
HellsBells

Quote:
Originally Posted by espion
Just because A) hapenned doesn't mean that B) never hapenned.

Anyways, I'll bet you 10$ BTN booes the anthem on Thursday. And if CGY, VCR, TOR and OTT were all playing American cities, much of the same crap would be going down. It isn't fair for you to single out one town.
That's a pretty bold statement. I bet you $100 that Calgary, Vancouver, Toronto or Ottawa would not boo the American anthem. Why is it not fair to single out one city when it is the only city to do this ??? They even had Jean freakin' Beliveau asking them to shut up and they still wouldn't. Who cares if Boston boos the Canadian anthem on Thursday, they didn't in Games 1 & 2. If they do in Game 5, it is obviously because the Habs fans showed no respect for their country.

D-I-S-R-E-S-P-E-C-T-F-U-L !!!!!

Old
04-14-2004, 10:38 AM
rekrul

I'll vote Montreal, with a close 2nd for calgary. Love the bit flag waving air horn blaring of the crowds up north. ( haven't seen a TOr/Ott game yet GRRRRR ESPN Blows!)

Old
04-14-2004, 05:44 PM
jstreim

Quote:
Who cares if Boston boos the Canadian anthem on Thursday, they didn't in Games 1 & 2. If they do in Game 5, it is obviously because the Habs fans showed no respect for their country.

Old
04-14-2004, 08:16 PM
Snakeeye

Quote:
That's a pretty bold statement. I bet you $100 that Calgary, Vancouver, Toronto or Ottawa would not boo the American anthem. Why is it not fair to single out one city when it is the only city to do this ??? They even had Jean freakin' Beliveau asking them to shut up and they still wouldn't. Who cares if Boston boos the Canadian anthem on Thursday, they didn't in Games 1 & 2. If they do in Game 5, it is obviously because the Habs fans showed no respect for their country.

Vancouver has booed the US anthem in the past. I agree on Calgary, Ottawa and Toronto, however.

That said, if Boston fans boo the Canadian anthem, it will be an equally disgusting, and gutless act as Montreallers, no more, no less.

Old
04-16-2004, 11:30 PM
Rejean31

Actually didn't Edmonton fans boo the American anthem in one of their past series with the Stars. I seem to remember that happening.

Closed Thread