HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues take on ATL

Old
11-08-2009, 05:22 PM
BergMan
#BackesForSelke

vCash: 50
GOAL!!!!!
AMac with perron and johnson

BergMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 05:27 PM
costam79

vCash: 500
hey guys can anyone help me find a live feed? thx!!

costam79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 05:28 PM
trevorftw
Voice of Reason

too many penalties...

trevorftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 06:32 PM
blue bleeder 24-7

I die a little on the inside every time I see McClement on the ice in Overtime.

blue bleeder 24-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 06:43 PM
trevorftw
Voice of Reason

that's a deflating loss. Should have won that game.

trevorftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 06:43 PM
Stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorftw View Post
that's a deflating loss. Should have won that game.
Agreed.

Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 06:44 PM
blue bleeder 24-7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang View Post
Agreed.
Seconded. Back-up Hedman and no Kovalchuk. There's no reason you don't come out of that game with two points in regulation.

blue bleeder 24-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 06:51 PM
kfox9611

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue bleeder 24-7 View Post
I die a little on the inside every time I see McClement on the ice in Overtime.
good to hear im not the only one...

kfox9611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 06:51 PM
ArVeeDee

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue bleeder 24-7 View Post
Seconded. Back-up Hedman and no Kovalchuk. There's no reason you don't come out of that game with two points in regulation.
Thrashers have scoring depth. They are more than capable of scoring without him. It's just that lame fluky goal that cost you.

ArVeeDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Joppy

vCash: 1514
B.J. Crombeen- ES TOI: 12:03 Total TOI: 16:46
P. Berglund - ES TOI: 6:52 Total TOI: 8:45
L. Eller - ES TOI: 7:39 Total TOI: 8:52

Joppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 07:24 PM
BergMan
#BackesForSelke

I'm a blues fan. FML

BergMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 07:31 PM
Robb_K

Was Oshie hurt? Where was he in overtime? Why was Crombeen playing almost 17 minutes, when Eller and Berglund played 8 and change? They only got 3 more minutes than Janssen.

Kariya looks like he's through. He said he feels better than he has in many years. Why does it seem as if he dumps the puck into the offensive zone and skate off the ice almost every time he's got room to skate into the opponent's zone, to start an offensive play? He seems to have no jump in his skates. All his shots are weak, straight at the goalie's stick. He's a liability on defence. He hasn't been doing anything on the PP. Boyes looked a little better, but he's still floating at times. Like many of The Blues, he's losing most races to the puck and battles for it.

The Blues will soon need to jettison at least one extra forward, and one or two extra defencemen. I hope they can get rid of 3 poor-performing players and parlay them into one solid, dependable scoring forward (with a better all-around game than Boyes).

I realise there aren't a bunch of great coaches sitting by the phone, but, I wouldn't complain if JD were to fire Murray. I never liked his coaching methods. This team needs a change before it is too late to come back. A repeat of last year's 2nd half isn't very likely, considering how strong most of the Western teams are.

Last edited by Robb_K: 11-08-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 07:33 PM
concept*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Boyes looked a little better, but he's still floating at times. Like many of The Blues, he's losing most races to the puck and battles for it.
Exactly. He was floating the entire night. Doesn't have the same energy or willpower as he had last season. It's really disappointing to see that from everyone on the team but the young guys (Oshie, Eller, Perron, Johnson, Pietrangelo).

concept* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 09:34 PM
St.Louis sports fan

Kariya coming down the left wing on a 2 on 1 and firing a shot 3 feet over the net was a pretty weak effort. Brewer made a sweet pass to Perron on the 2nd goal, but -6 in 5 games is pretty awefull for a captain. I completely agree with everyone else about the lack of icetime for Eller and Berglund. They showed a pic of bergie on the bench in overtime and he couldnt look more out of it. I cant stand seeing McClement skate past the front of the net when a rebound/pass comes his way. Im ready to blow this thing up and say See ya to Kariya and Boyes for a start.

Is the lack of goals from the defense a system thing or just lack of imagination? It's going on 2 years now and several individual defensemen have outscored our entire unit.

St.Louis sports fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 10:02 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Louis sports fan View Post
Kariya coming down the left wing on a 2 on 1 and firing a shot 3 feet over the net was a pretty weak effort. Brewer made a sweet pass to Perron on the 2nd goal, but -6 in 5 games is pretty awefull for a captain. I completely agree with everyone else about the lack of icetime for Eller and Berglund. They showed a pic of bergie on the bench in overtime and he couldnt look more out of it. I cant stand seeing McClement skate past the front of the net when a rebound/pass comes his way. Im ready to blow this thing up and say See ya to Kariya and Boyes for a start.

Is the lack of goals from the defense a system thing or just lack of imagination? It's going on 2 years now and several individual defensemen have outscored our entire unit.
It's a combination of Murray's system and instructions to individuals on the one hand, and the offensive talent or lack of it, on the other. Other teams, that let their offences go all out, have a lot more (or ALL) of their defencemen pinching in, and joining the rush whenever the opportunity presents itself. In Murray's system, the Blues' D-men rarely do that. Polak and Pietrangelo have been "held back" from their natural tendencies to lead or join the rush. The Blues haven't had Colaiacovo playing much. Johnson still has a lot of rust from his year off. He and Pietrangelo are really the only Blues' D-men with a LOT of offensive talent (including really good puck-carrying skills, pinpoint passing ability, good dangling and deking ability and a strong and accurate shot.

After E.J. shakes off most of his rust, and is "up to speed" with full command of his skills again, and Pietrangelo is "allowed to follow his instincts", and Colaiacovo gets more experience playing with his teammates, and Brewer gets more in his groove (with less responsibilities and pressure than the last 2 seasons, and Junland is brought up and gets comfortable with his NHL teammates, The Blues' defencemen will produce adequately on offence.

Old
11-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Blues0307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joppy View Post
B.J. Crombeen- ES TOI: 12:03 Total TOI: 16:46
P. Berglund - ES TOI: 6:52 Total TOI: 8:45
L. Eller - ES TOI: 7:39 Total TOI: 8:52

That's ridiculous. Murray's love for Crombeen is growing old. He's fine defensively, but it's just plain stupid that Murray gives him so much more ice time than our skill players. The guy can't finish and has several opportunities so far this year; frustrating when he's out there so much at the end of a game and Oshie, Berglund, and Eller barely hit the ice. Maybe there's a correlation between lack of ice time for skill guys and lack of scoring....

Blues0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 10:26 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
At least part of it was the entire line being held out in the 1st when Oshie had to have his skates sharpened. Then, the many penalties. I'm not sure why they weren't more involved late in the game.

Blues should have won that game. Conklin really got rattled after that 2nd (fluky) goal. I had no doubt they were going to get to him on the shoot-out.

If there is a bright side to the recent struggles, its that its the younger players (the long-term core players) who are playing the best:
Perron, EJ, Pietro, Oshie.

Is Kariya worthless? I have to agree with Murry putting him on the shut-down line....in an effort to motivate and get him moving more. But I also find it alarming. Where does he go from there?

I have no problem with McClement in during the overtime. He's definitely earned the trust with is steady play, is strong enough on the back-check and on the puck to be extremely useful (OT is a puck possession game) and has at least average finishing skills.

On the other hand, its nice to see Pietro is getting that kind of trust. He played OT minutes in the last couple games, and seems to have the green light to pinch when he sees an opportunity. I doubt many of the Brewer haters will give him any credit, but he's really played much better than you'd expect after that lay-off....and its his play that is allowing Pietro to blossom.

Jackman was a warrior tonight. A couple painful blocks, but he was still out there. You could see he didn't have his legs under him at times, but he's always willing to sacrifice his body for the team. If our D corps is all healthy at the same time, its pretty solid.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 11:09 PM
Joppy

vCash: 1514
I've got a problem with this:

Johnson SH TOI: 0:00

Why isn't Johnson getting any PK time? Are the Blues saving him for ES and PP or do they not trust him yet? Brewer just got back from a long term injury and he had over 7 minutes on the PK today. Just curious.

Joppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
At least part of it was the entire line being held out in the 1st when Oshie had to have his skates sharpened. Then, the many penalties. I'm not sure why they weren't more involved late in the game.
One reason was that Eller seemed to be "benched" after taking his penalty. I assume that Murray was trying to teach him to be more "careful". I think Oshie played some shifts with other linemates after that. But Berglund didn't.

Old
11-08-2009, 11:23 PM
Garl

So, Berglund is in doghouse?

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 12:03 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Oshie was double-shifted in Janssen's place and on specialty teams. I guess if one player on a line gets 'benched' the whole line is.

I don't think this was Murray's best coaching day, but I can respect the notion of holding a young player accountable for his mistakes. Eller doesn't strike me as a guy that's hard to coach, or with a big head.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 12:32 AM
Robb_K

Eller's penalty was very marginal and could easily have not been called. If I were The Blues' coach, I'm not sure I'd want to send a message to Eller to play more "carefully" in such a situation. I like the fact that he's playing with a physical edge. I wouldn't want him to be less physical, and I wouldn't want him off the ice in the 3rd Period or Overtime, when goals are needed.

If Tkachuk had initiated that penalty, he'd not have been benched. I don't like Murray's 2 sets of rules.

I want to see the young Blues players have fun playing the game they love and using their skills instinctively. Yes, there are things to learn. But, I don't want them playing tentatively, to avoid losing ice time.

Murray's teams NEVER have killer instinct. He is NOT the coach to lead them to The Stanley Cup.

Old
11-09-2009, 02:08 AM
drunkndunkn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I want to see the young Blues players have fun playing the game they love and using their skills instinctively. Yes, there are things to learn. But, I don't want them playing tentatively, to avoid losing ice time.

Murray's teams NEVER have killer instinct. He is NOT the coach to lead them to The Stanley Cup.
You know, I sort of felt the same way about Q with regard to lacking that killer instinct, despite the success the Blues had with him. But maybe that was for a different reason (like giving those Detroit teams too much respect).

Anyway, Murray is clearly defensively-minded, and he takes more of a "risk management" approach to the game. As long as he is insistent on doing this, it's likely that some of the more aggressive, offensively-minded guys will always be underutilized. The fact that Crombeen's minutes dwarfed those of Berglund and Eller is just retarded. Murray continues to rely too much on his grinders and shutdown/role players as he overemphasizes line matching and countering his opponent rather than focusing on striking first.

I'm not sure that the coach that will take this team to the finals is out there right now (nor do I think this team will be ready for that for at least a couple years), but I think a coach with some creativity and that can match the enthusiasm of the younger guys would be a welcome change at this point. Someone once pointed out that Murray's style is probably best suited for tournaments (he's had success on the international stage) and that his act gets old over the long run, and I tend to agree with that.

drunkndunkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 07:32 AM
Stang

Somebody needs to tell Murray that the best Defense is a good Offense...he will quickly turn things around then!

Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 08:59 AM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

I disagreed with the fact that we need a coaching change now.
But the last three games have changed my mind.
You're not going to win when you play McClement and Crombeen for 20 minutes and let Bergy, Eller, etc play just three more minutes than Janssen.

Murray is not the coach for this team.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote