HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Justin Peters

Old
11-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Mathletic

vCash: 500
Justin Peters

Canadiens fan here

is this the time that we'll see what Justin Peters is made of? I always liked the guy but seems to be stuck in the AHL behind Ward. Now with Cam's injury does he get called up and does he get 1st shot at being the Canes goalie?

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 05:51 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Justin Peters hasn't really been talked about as a potential starter anytime recently. Murphy has, but he still has at least a year or two before we see him in the NHL.

As mentioned in the Cam Ward injury thread, I would suspect we'll sign a veteran goalie.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 06:25 PM
canesnecu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
Canadiens fan here

is this the time that we'll see what Justin Peters is made of? I always liked the guy but seems to be stuck in the AHL behind Ward. Now with Cam's injury does he get called up and does he get 1st shot at being the Canes goalie?
How about we take Price off your hands? He's never gonna make in Montreal at this point and Halak is doing fine. Let us give Price a second lease on life, there's no expectations about the season down here so the kid may thrive and get a nice contract form someone out of it next summer.

I better keep thin on topic: Peters aint the answer here but then again for this season, neither was Ward.

canesnecu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 06:38 PM
CarolinaHurricanes85

Send a message via AIM to CarolinaHurricanes85
Quote:
Originally Posted by canesnecu View Post
How about we take Price off your hands? He's never gonna make in Montreal at this point and Halak is doing fine. Let us give Price a second lease on life, there's no expectations about the season down here so the kid may thrive and get a nice contract form someone out of it next summer.

I better keep thin on topic: Peters aint the answer here but then again for this season, neither was Ward.

qft.

CarolinaHurricanes85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 06:58 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
Peters may get a game or four while Cam is out if we don't go out and sign a veteran. But it is looking more and more like signing a veteran is the exact route we're going to take.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Mathletic

just wondering what you thought of his 2 games in the NHL

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 11:02 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Proud bandwagon member of Justin Peters when Mike Murphy was too cool for school. He has been great thus far. Then again, so has Murphy. So I guess both sides have held serve.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 11:45 AM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
it is looking more and more like signing a veteran is the exact route we're going to take.
What makes you say this? I would think that they'd stick with Legace and Peters for the rest of this season. I'm not saying it'll win them a bunch of games, but...maybe that's not their primary goal for the rest of the season.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 11:47 AM
UnPLEASED Anton

I think that post was a few months old, prior to signing Legace

UnPLEASED Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 12:18 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaberlay View Post
I think that post was a few months old, prior to signing Legace
Ha! Damn recycled threads, anyway...

Old
02-16-2010, 06:18 PM
Denzil
NOLU

I hope Carolina does sign a veteran goalie, I'd like Peters up here for the season

Denzil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 06:37 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denzil View Post
I hope Carolina does sign a veteran goalie, I'd like Peters up here for the season
He'll be there for the playoffs at least. Sutter as well hopefully (if he's still eligible). We Want The (Calder) Cup! We Want The (Calder) Cup!

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 10:13 AM
stivwhaler

I saw Justin Peters give up 8 goals to the Hershey Bears- shortly after the game where he gave up 10 goals to the Bears. He looked awful in the AHL action I saw, I can't imagine he has what it takes for the big league. Of course the Bears are one of the great teams in AHL history this season, but still...

stivwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 10:30 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

I also saw us bounce goals of Martin Brodeur's skates for an entire series when we unceremoniously ran his Devils out of the playoffs and he's the greatest goaltender of all time. Granted, I don't watch every Rats game, but in the ones that I have Peters is usually the guy keeping them in games when they're not playing well. His play with Carolina hasn't been a mirage. The problems that plague young goaltenders, like rebound control and not giving up more than one chance, haven't been there with Peters. He has been swallowing up the first shot. Any time you can do that, you have a good chance.

Old
02-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stivwhaler View Post
I saw Justin Peters give up 8 goals to the Hershey Bears- shortly after the game where he gave up 10 goals to the Bears. He looked awful in the AHL action I saw, I can't imagine he has what it takes for the big league. Of course the Bears are one of the great teams in AHL history this season, but still...
sigh

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 03:00 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
He has been swallowing up the first shot.
You thought so? I was thinking that seemed to be where he was having a little too much trouble in his two NHL games. Then again, maybe I've just gotten too used to Cam "The Big Pillow" Ward.

Old
02-18-2010, 04:08 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
You thought so? I was thinking that seemed to be where he was having a little too much trouble in his two NHL games. Then again, maybe I've just gotten too used to Cam "The Big Pillow" Ward.
I agree. I didn't see this great rebound control Vagrant is speaking of. He looked to have trouble and was giving up some juicy rebounds from what I saw. In fact, I thought he was a little bit lucky not to get burned on some of them.

Last edited by Cardiac_Canes: 02-18-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 10:11 AM
caniac90

I watched the Rats game against WBS the other day, Peters got yanked as they lost 9-2... I just hope he can cut down on these sort of meltdown games!

caniac90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 10:17 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

At least he's no Leighton, that guy gave up some of the worst rebounds I've seen at the NHL level.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 10:18 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
I agree. I didn't see this great rebound control Vagrant is speaking of. He looked to have trouble and was giving up some juicy rebounds from what I saw. In fact, I thought he was a little bit lucky not to get burned on some of them.
That's pretty odd. I seemed to think that was a strong point of his. I could have just misremembered.

Old
02-19-2010, 10:54 AM
stivwhaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
sigh
Exactly!! That was my reaction to watching him struggle so badly 2 games in a row in the AHL. Everyone has bad games, but a guy who gives up 18 goals in 2 minor league games makes me lose any confidence in his ability to perform in the NHL any time soon. He did look good when he came up, but I still have no faith in the guy.

stivwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 08:34 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I don't put too much into a bad outing or two by Peters. You've got to look at the big picture and how Peters has progressed and developed in his time in the AHL. Overall he's come along fairly nicely and appears to atleast have what it takes to be a back-up in the NHL, possibly as soon as next season. Of course he has flaws and things to work on and get better at, every goaltender does, young or old, veteran or rookie.

Like I said, overall I don't put too much into a couple poor outings, every goaltender has them. Peters has played 2 strong games up with the big club, though its only 2 games, I'll take that along with his overall development as an indication he may be a decent back-up goaltender for us one day over a bad game or two for Albany. A bad outing shouldnt overshadow the development of Peters. If he got blown out every 4-5 games and it was his fault and poor play, I'd be worried, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 08:41 PM
Denzil
NOLU

After the colossal error that cost us last night's game, Peters was the main reason we won tonight - solid all night long.

Denzil is online now   Reply With Quote