HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Changing skate pitch, radius?

Old
11-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Sannesch

vCash: 500
Changing skate pitch, radius?

I don't know a lot about technical stuff for skates so I hope someone can help me... I got a new pair of skates recently and the heel feels WAYY too high. I hate feeling like I'm on my toes all the time. The skates were a gift so I'm trying my best to use them...

I compared my new and old skates, and on my old skates the heel is definitely a lot lower than on the new skates (compared to the height of the toe). Is the relationship between the heel/toe height the pitch of the skate? The difference in height between the toe/heel on my old skates is roughly 1/2 inch, but on the new ones it's closer to 1 inch.

I went to a hockey shop and they started talking about changing the radius and profiling, contouring and I have no idea what that is. All I want to do is make the heel lower, if that's possible?

Sannesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 06:04 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 2466
start with a 25/50 profiling.
it's just where your blade hits the ice in relation to the boot.

25/50 will keep you up front just a bit while giving you enough of a neutral feel for skating backwards.

if your skate is smaller that a size 8.5 you will need it profiled at 25/40.

here is more info about profiling:
http://noicingsports.com/skate_radius_profiling.html
http://www.weatherimagery.com/blog/h...kate-countour/

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 07:49 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sannesch View Post
I went to a hockey shop and they started talking about changing the radius and profiling, contouring and I have no idea what that is. All I want to do is make the heel lower, if that's possible?
Well then do what he say!

They don't sell new skates with a proper radius, it is something you must do when you get new skates and if the person/people who bought them for you didn't have it done and just got them sharpened then you need to get them radiused which usually costs about $20.

The radius is pretty basic for most people who are not a serious player. Usually a neutral radius/rocker (some shops call it a zero radius) works the best which is just a common rocker radius. The radius depends on your skate size as already mentioned and a decent skate shop should know that already but alas the world is full of dopes that do these things. Sometimes you get a guy who does them all the same which usually are the majority of his customers who are probably kids and young teens with smaller feet.

I could get into all the other custom radius jazz but it will just take up space here for nothing as you are not a serious player and are just a recreational player or else you would probably know this stuff already anyway through experience with it many years ago.

Basically though you should lose the "all I want is the heel lower" business as this shop guy at least is mentioning the correct things that he said you need. You are already used to the wrong radius apparently from what it sounds like in your post.

You should just go with a legit radius and take the time to get used to that.

I did that years ago after having a neutral radius and a large radiused rocker so more blade touched the ice which made for nice speeds but made for quick cut and turn loss.

I found a happy medium that works for me.

This stuff depends a lot on your skill level, skating ability and weight because the hollow of the blde is just as important as the rocker radius.

I'm a big guy at 6ft 4in 240lbs so I have a shallow 3/4" hollow for the blade. The hollow is the rut ground out down the length of the blade on the bottom.

It fits my skating style which is a nuthin fancy skating style and I look for speed over manuverability.

This stuff can seem confusing but a good skate shop guy will know more from you in person after he finds out what your skill level is and skating style etc.

I have brought a pair of skates in to a guy before and had him copy them as they were comfortable but when I had the blades changed he just said to do it the right way and take the time to get used to a correctly done skate.

I learned on a bad radius is my point so for 25 years or so I just kept getting that same blade redone by bringing the guy my old skate and telling him to copy that. I bought a pair of skates which were cheap skates when i was akid and just had them shapren them .... I didn't get them radiused and I learned on bad blades as a youngster.

Anyhew hope this helps, it probably doesn't.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 09:20 PM
madmutter
Oilyness

If they are Easton skates, take out the insole and look for a black wedge on it under the heel, this is an optional heel lift. You can just remove it and try that out. Also I think Mission "pitch" holders are adjustable if you have those. Neither of these things, if they work, mean that you don't need a radius job done on your skates but they might help.

madmutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Have a professional watch you skate for 5-10 minutes and make a recommendation. That's the only way to have your skates profiled properly. I paid $30 for a profiling based off a questionnaire and it did nothing for me other than take off a bunch of steel and screw up my stride for a few games.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 04:41 AM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

vCash: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmutter View Post
If they are Easton skates, take out the insole and look for a black wedge on it under the heel, this is an optional heel lift. You can just remove it and try that out. Also I think Mission "pitch" holders are adjustable if you have those. Neither of these things, if they work, mean that you don't need a radius job done on your skates but they might help.
Yes they are, but as a Mission skate user i think they are the crappiest holders on the market (amazing steel though).

Even the basic fuel 70 holder is better then the Pitch but the way it comes, you are way back on your heels.

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 08:15 AM
vyktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post
start with a 25/50 profiling.
it's just where your blade hits the ice in relation to the boot.

25/50 will keep you up front just a bit while giving you enough of a neutral feel for skating backwards.

if your skate is smaller that a size 8.5 you will need it profiled at 25/40.

here is more info about profiling:
http://noicingsports.com/skate_radius_profiling.html
http://www.weatherimagery.com/blog/h...kate-countour/
Has anyone used the Noicingsports services, I haven't found anyone in my area who does a radius, and I'm thinking about getting some blades done.

vyktor is offline   Reply With Quote