HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Just think...

Old
11-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Czech Trio
from jersey

vCash: 500
Just think...

When Johnny Oudya and Paul Martin return (at different times probably) are puck moving defencemen problem will be over. No looking to sign a big name free agent or trade for one. With Martin, Oduya, and Greene all playing at their best are problem will fly away. The cost to get this new puck moving defender, nothing except pure trust and time. Letting Andy develop and putting him in even if he hasn't proved to be a top four defender. With Sutter he would mutter and complain about how he doesn't have any players to work with but with JL he trusts the youngsters and lets them play.

Many teams such as the Rangers go out and buy their team. Except for Cally, Dubi, Del Zotto, Henrik, and Staal they bought there team ( Drury, Redden, Prospal, Higgins, Gaborik, and Kotalik.) The Devils grow there team and take chances. Lets see who is homegrown, Marty, White, Greene, Fraser, Martin, Zach, Pikks, PL3, Pando, Zajac, Pelley, Elias, Langs, Rolston, Clarkson, and Hali! With only Zubrus, Salvador, Murphy, Peters, and Nieds not being homegrown!

So three things I would like to point out

1. Lou is one of the best, honest, hardworking GMs in the NHL history. He has shown that you CAN win if you don't have a crap load of money. At this time I would like to thank Lou. In Lou We Trust!

2. I see good things coming when Johnny and Martin return if Greene continues his amazing play.

3. We are (not just coming from a Devils fan and I know I may get some crap from Ranger fans!) one of the best franchises of alltime!

I see great things in the Devils future!

Czech Trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 06:58 PM
ChicoEats
Formerly Ziggyluc

Adversity certainly seems to help this team come together and play harder. Last year the team played amazing after Brodeur went down and this year Greene and the gang have really stepped it up after the injuries to Martin and Oduya. Hopefully we can actually keep this play up after Martin, Oduya, Salvador, Pandolfo, Niedermayer, and Elias recover.

ChicoEats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

If we're completely healthy at any point this year and we keep playing smart, there's reason to be very optimistic.

Darius Dangleaitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
I disagree. Every year we do this - we absolutely tear up the regular season and when it gets to the playoffs, the talent we have on defense just doesn't cut it.

We still need that elite defenseman. At the end of last year I let myself get lulled into a false sense of security, thinking a Leopold or Havelid would be enough. It wasn't. It still won't be.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 07:13 PM
MountainGoat
Re-sign Jagr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
I disagree. Every year we do this - we absolutely tear up the regular season and when it gets to the playoffs, the talent we have on defense just doesn't cut it.

We still need that elite defenseman. At the end of last year I let myself get lulled into a false sense of security, thinking a Leopold or Havelid would be enough. It wasn't. It still won't be.
thats why I'm praying Anaheim misses the playoff's.... although the last few games they've played looked pretty good

MountainGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Quote:

They don't grow on trees though. To be honest I don't think we'd be able to acquire anyone better than Martin is. My ideal pickup would be Robidas, because I think we'd be able to get him for a reasonable price if Dallas isn't in contention.

Darius Dangleaitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 07:18 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
Quote:

åboriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 07:19 PM
Czech Trio
from jersey

Quote:

If we are offered the trade I'd take it! I want Nieds!

We don't have much to give that would land us a great defender except maybe be a very high draft pick and Tendenby or Jofeson.

I'd like to see Scott come back.

Martin Niedermayer

Oduya Salvador

Greene White

Czech Trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 07:27 PM
DerekDevils30

Quote:

Lou is being patient. We are in, somewhat, of a rebuild. Quietly, the Devils are building up a deep prospect pool.

Mark my words on this...Alexander Urbom will be our future #1 defenseman. He has all the tools. I've seen a few of his games in Brandon and he is an absolute monster. He's physical, uses his stick well, and can rip it from the point...I could see him making the team next year.

DerekDevils30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 07:35 PM
MountainGoat
Re-sign Jagr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekDevils30 View Post
Lou is being patient. We are in, somewhat, of a rebuild. Quietly, the Devils are building up a deep prospect pool.

Mark my words on this...Alexander Urbom will be our future #1 defenseman. He has all the tools. I've seen a few of his games in Brandon and he is an absolute monster. He's physical, uses his stick well, and can rip it from the point...I could see him making the team next year.
I know next to nothing of Urbom but I hope your right

MountainGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 07:37 PM
DerekDevils30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie1987 View Post
I know next to nothing of Urbom but I hope your right
He just has that look to him. I think, under the direction of Lemaire and company, that he could become a legitimate top defenseman in the league..

DerekDevils30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 07:40 PM
sattar18

Quote:

Urbom reminds me of Alex Edler, a good top 4 d-man. I think you might be setting his expectations a little high

sattar18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 07:41 PM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

Quote:

Yep...I was just about to say the same thing.

Das Uber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:

I agree. We can't make a deep playoff run with the defence as it is currently constituted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Dangleaitis View Post
They don't grow on trees though. To be honest I don't think we'd be able to acquire anyone better than Martin is. My ideal pickup would be Robidas, because I think we'd be able to get him for a reasonable price if Dallas isn't in contention.
I would be pleased if we were able to pick up Robidas. Other defencemen I would like to see Lou pursue if they are available around the deadline: Pavel Kubina, Rostislav Klesla, Zbynek Michalek, or Dan Hamhuis.

Quote:
I'm optimistic that Urbom will turn out to be a steal of a third round pick, but he has a ways to go to develop into a #1 defenceman. We definitely need someone for the deadline this year.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Whatever our prospects will or won't develop into really doesn't matter. This team has proven that, given the right pieces, it is good enough NOW. Having a future #1 defenseman doesn't help us with that vacancy in the present.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 08:14 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

We need to make another legitimate run at the Cup before Marty retires. I think we owe him that much. With Brodeur's retirement possibly coming within the next few years, the team needs to be in win-now mode.

Old
11-08-2009, 08:21 PM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

Quote:
Originally Posted by gio14 View Post
When Johnny Oudya and Paul Martin return (at different times probably) are puck moving defencemen problem will be over.
Those 2 are minimal and inadequate puck moving defenseman. The first is a hard working overacheiver, but not good enough offensively and the other one is a great skating defenseman whose defense is top notch, but has underacheived offensively.

And Langenbrunner is not homegrown.

Last edited by Muttley*: 11-08-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 08:26 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
Those 2 are minimal and inadequate puck moving defenseman. The first is a hard working overacheiver, but not good enough offensively and the other one is a great skating defenseman whose defense is top notch, but has underacheived offensively.
Agreed.

Andy Green needs to play every single game like he did last night for me to be satisfied with the offense from our blueline.

God I hope Anaheim tanks...

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
God I hope Anaheim tanks...
It would be foolish of Lou to put all his eggs in the (Scott) Niedermayer basket. Deadline day is always unpredictable, and Scott doesn't have a NTC so he has no say in where he ends up. Murray could give two ***** about re-uniting Rob and Scott. He'll send him to the highest bidder. If someone is willing to overpay (which will happen), your whole plan is ****ed.

We should try to get another d-man now.

Das Uber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 08:40 PM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Dangleaitis View Post
Dallas extended Robidas, and he's not a top pair anyway.

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Uber View Post
It would be foolish of Lou to put all his eggs in the (Scott) Niedermayer basket. Deadline day is always unpredictable, and Scott doesn't have a NTC so he has no say in where he ends up. Murray could give two ***** about re-uniting Rob and Scott. He'll send him to the highest bidder. If someone is willing to overpay (which will happen), your whole plan is ****ed.

We should try to get another d-man now.
I agree. I don't really want to get involved in the madness that is the trade deadline. We want whoever we acquire to have enough time to get accustomed to the organised lunacy that is Lemaire's system. For this reason, I think we should aim to make this trade by the Olympic break.

Old
11-08-2009, 08:48 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

lou has a plan.....i think

....id love to get visnovsky btw. but the oil have no reason to trade him. were stuck with the current lineup for the time being.

Old
11-08-2009, 08:52 PM
ZadorovNJD*
go away fatso

The only defenceman I'm interested in adding at the deadline is Niedermayer. Anyone else we add would cost too much, make no real impact in the playoffs, or likely both. This is even true for Niedermayer, but I'm willing to risk it for him.

ZadorovNJD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by borrachon View Post
The only defenceman I'm interested in adding at the deadline is Niedermayer. Anyone else we add would cost too much, make no real impact in the playoffs, or likely both. This is even true for Niedermayer, but I'm willing to risk it for him.
It's too early to say this. We don't really know yet who will be available at the deadline. We can speculate based on which teams are doing well or poorly, and who is a UFA at the end of the season, but we don't know for sure. Players we might not have expected could become available, and if the price is right, Lou should go for it.

Old
11-08-2009, 09:00 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

**** niedermayer. he can cram it with walnuts.