HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Legend of Rin gets us an Avalanche of PP goals --thanks oilersnyc!

Old
11-08-2009, 11:01 PM
oilerfanatic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belcriss View Post
He did score two, count them, two, shorthanded goals against Philly once upon a time ago. He was all hustle and energy then. Oilers could really use a few shorties for, instead of against this season. But I digress, Moreau appears to be a shadow of the player he once was. Probably to many injuries, and age.
yeah and joe hulbig scored a highlight goal against the wings once upon a time ago..

oilerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 11:02 PM
MePutPuckInNet

This team desperately needs a #1 and a #2 centre. Horcoff, well.....is Horcoff. Gagner's barely a 2nd line guy and he most certainly is not first line material. Not quite ready to give up on him, but if there were an opportunity to deal him, it wouldn't make me cry.

MePutPuckInNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 11:04 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizzie Nuts View Post
Taking nothing away from Potulny and RedOx, they were both really good. But, its easy to look good in one game. This team and its members suffer from one consistency - inconsistency. Till that can be erased from their games, I'm afraid Oiler fans can never rest easy.

But hey, if it aint a rollercoaster, then it aint Oilers hockey!
Didn't I say it was just one game!

But you have to start somewhere. I am not going to gripe after a win against a team that hadn't lost at home, had not let in more than 4 goals all season, is first place in the division and in the conference and was playing their top goaltender.

Important win to build some confidence on this road trip.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 11:05 PM
MePutPuckInNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ryan- View Post
I'm not saying the PP is better without Hemmer
Why not? go'head Ryan, you know you want to.

Old
11-08-2009, 11:05 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MePutPuckInNet View Post
This team desperately needs a #1 and a #2 centre. Horcoff, well.....is Horcoff. Gagner's barely a 2nd line guy and he most certainly is not first line material. Not quite ready to give up on him, but if there were an opportunity to deal him, it wouldn't make me cry.
Between your Stone comments and these Gagner comments, i wonder if you're watching the same players as the rest of us

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 11:06 PM
tempest2i
Feral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
I agree that you move one of Gilbert or Grebs. Smid's more than ready to play in the top four and Grebs or Gilbert would both fetch solid returns I would think and there's no point in one of them being on the third pairing which is where one would belong seeing as how Lubo, Souray, Smid are 1-2-3 imo. I just hate that third pairing of Staios and Struds. Zero mobility. I'd consider giving Chorney some games over Strudwick. Let's just hope we can get healthy enough to have this discussion.
As much as Gilbert angers me with his soft play, the oil have 5 respectable d-men with Lubo, Souray, Smid, Grebs, and Gilbert. If we could move Grebs or Gilbert for a 15-20 goal forward I think the organization would jump at the chance, but I just don't think they're going to move either of those guys without being wowed by the offer.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 11:07 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ryan- View Post
The best thing a PP can do is move the puck quickly and make snap decisions with either a pass or a shot. Hemsky likes to control the PP, and often holds on to the puck too long - usually it takes a perfect play or a Souray laser to get a goal. Moving the puck slowly plays into the hands of the penalty killers.

I'm not saying the PP is better without Hemmer, but the units tried different things tonight (ie. quick puck movement) and it worked out. Hopefully they can sustain that.
Last season already Gagner was running a better PP than Hemsky and resulting in more production despite not having the first unit weapons like Souray as much.

People confuse Hemsky's PP pts with how productive a Hemsky run PP is. The only difference is on a Hemsky PP every play basically runs through him. On a Gagner PP the puck gets distributed more.

With Gagner running the PP(and with less first unit guns to work with) the PP clicked at 6.50pts/60mins last year.

With Hemsky it was slightly below at 6.30pts/60mins but the Hemsky PP was very predicated on whether Souray was on or off the ice.

Gagner gets around half the PP pts as Hemsky but uses the 5 player unit more efficiently.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 11:07 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
Huh?

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 11:09 PM
Giant Moo

Well, I was going to listen to Tencer's show, but after they named the first caller after the break, I turned off the stream.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 11:09 PM
Vizzie235
mispelled user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Didn't I say it was just one game!

But you have to start somewhere. I am not going to gripe after a win against a team that hadn't lost at home, had not let in more than 4 goals all season, is first place in the division and in the conference and was playing their top goaltender.

Important win to build some confidence on this road trip.
My bad, you did. My apologies.

Agreed. I hope the Oilers can build off this win. It was against the top team in the NHL. It was against a person that's shut them out twice before (in the only two games he's played against the Oilers). They got their PP going. Doing all this without their top player, top centre (I use the term loosely) and without their top defensive defenceman.

There are a lot of positives that they should use as a springboard and hopefully start to build a winning record.

Vizzie235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 11:10 PM
MePutPuckInNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Between your Stone comments and these Gagner comments, i wonder if you're watching the same players as the rest of us
Yeah, I wonder that too. I also wonder how much people are influenced by the opinions of others. I wonder if anyone watches the players in question without pre-formed opinions.

I also wonder why they always forget to send duck sauce when I have Chinese food delivered.....I really hate when that happens.

Old
11-08-2009, 11:11 PM
Ranford

slumpbuster?

Ranford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
Yeah, I wonder that too. I also wonder how much people are influenced by the opinions of others. I wonder if anyone watches the players in question without pre-formed opinions.
So, everyone is wrong about Gagner except for you?

Old
Boilers*

Quote:
Just for DSF. The cavalry did come!
Yes it was only one game but Potunly and Redox were a big part of this win.

Yes I will compliment Reddox, he showed a lot of energy, good PK work. Exactly what this team needed.
Pfft, he doesn't post after wins.

Boilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 11:12 PM
Staal4Futures

Greetings Guys- Penguins troll here,

I got a chance to go to the game tonight, and your PP was amazing. It looked like you were playing against air, perfect passing, great spacing, great puck movement and distribution. Hopefully the Pens will watch the tape of your PP. Great win tonight, gentlemen.

Staal4Futures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MePutPuckInNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
So, everyone is wrong about Gagner except for you?
No. I just wonder if sometimes people are more influenced by what they're told than by what they actually see.

Old
Belcriss
McDavid Sweepstakes!

Send a message via Skype™ to Belcriss
Wow, this place can be almost as bad after a win, as it can be after a loss. In fact, I think fans agree more after a loss.... is that pathetic, or what?

Belcriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 11:13 PM
KarmaPolice
No Hope...

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Gagner is barely 20 years old. I should hope you wouldn't be ready to give up on him; that would be incredibly foolish.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 11:14 PM
tempest2i
Feral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belcriss View Post
Wow, this place can be almost as bad after a win, as it can be after a loss. In fact, I think fans agree more after a loss.... is that pathetic, or what?
But if all of us agreed all the time we'd be flames fans, and no one around here wants that.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 11:15 PM
CupofOil

Quote:

I also wonder why they always forget to send duck sauce when I have Chinese food delivered.....I really hate when that happens.
Huh? That analogy doesn't even make sense...... So you think that Stone is a useless player and that Gagner is barely a second line center and can never ever be a first line center? I watch every Oiler game and Stone was very effective in being physical which this team has sorely missed since he's been out and Gagner has played well this year and has actually run a more effective PP unit than Hemsky imo as was witnessed tonight but no he's barely a second line center and we should trade him now

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 11:17 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
No. I just wonder if sometimes people are more influenced by what they're told than by what they actually see.
So what do you see that makes you think that Gagner isn't even a second line player?

Old
11-08-2009, 11:17 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilers View Post
Pfft, he doesn't post after wins.
Sure I do.

If Potulny and Reddox are the cavalary you may have a problem.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 11:18 PM
MePutPuckInNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Huh? That analogy doesn't even make sense...... So you think that Stone is a useless player and that Gagner is barely a second line center and can never ever be a first line center? I watch every Oiler game and Stone was very effective in being physical which this team has sorely missed since he's been out and Gagner has played well this year and has actually run a more effective PP unit than Hemsky imo as was witnessed tonight but no he's barely a second line center and we should trade him now
hmm...your reading skills need some work, maybe? I'm not denying Stone's ability to hit people. I'm denying his ability to skate, pass the puck, handle the puck, stick handle and be a useful offensive playmaking centre.

And did I say we should trade Gagner now? I'm pretty sure I didn't. He's decent on the power play, but when it comes to ES play, his playmaking really disappears.

Old
11-08-2009, 11:19 PM
Boilers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
Sure I do.

If Potulny and Reddox are the cavalary you may have a problem.
If it's getting us wins and you're still sour I'd say the problem isn't mine.

Boilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 11:20 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Just for DSF. The cavalry did come!

Yes it was only one game but Potunly and Redox were a big part of this win.

Yes I will compliment Reddox, he showed a lot of energy, good PK work. Exactly what this team needed.
There's Calvary and then there's foot soldiers. Good game by both however.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote